Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Seeking advice - looking for a new MMO

I am looking for a new MMO.  I played WoW since day 1 ( post Beta) and while I loved that game, it just left a bitter taste in my mouth-- I am looking for something that is similar to WoW or better.  I am looking for something that has "end game" but doesnt necessarily take eon's to get to.  Is there a game out there like this or am I dreaming?

I tried EVE but the tutorial was overwhelming and at that time I don't really think I was quite over WoW.

Does anyone have any advice or experiences with MMO's that they really liked?

I am not really a "gamer" per say.  I'm a chick and while I have played hardcore many hours at the PC as I did with WoW.  Maybe 10/12 hours a week at max.

Thanks in advance!

A friend is someone who will bail you out of jail, a BEST friend is someone sitting next to you in jail saying "Wow, that was fun!"

Comments

• AelfinnAelfinn Member Posts: 3,857
    lol, take your pick, seriously. Alot of games fit that description, and a distressing number of them follow almost the exact same formulae that WOW did (although most of the "clones" were not as well done).

The best of these as of right now is probably LOTRO, which is in open beta stage.

No man is an island, entire of itself; every man is a piece of the continent, a part of the main. any man's death diminishes me, because I am involved in mankind, and therefore never send to know for whom the bell tolls; it tolls for thee.
    Hemingway

• UgottawantitUgottawantit Member Posts: 146

Guild Wars only has a level 20 cap and has no monthly fees.  It's a beautiful game as well. I personally do not play it much, because i find that  I spend most of my time in towns getting a group together and then once together. We all just play follow the leader to the guy that has done the instance 100 times.  Everything in GW is instanced, that's what I don't like about it.  It is however worth the $50.00 since there are no monthly fees. I find myself [playing every now and then. I'm back to playing Wow myself after many years of Eve.

Eve is a great game, but it has been ruined  by a bunch of druken devs who just can't seem to get it right.

I got an invite to LOTR but didn't  download it, I guess I should have.  Now would be a good time to try it while it's free.

You can also play Anarchy Online for free, it's graphics are dated, but it's a good game.

I personally plan to keep enjoying Burning Crusade until Age of Conan and WAR come out. Of course then will be the real delima. Looks like they are going to come out at the same time at the end of the year, I'll probably play both.

• cupertinocupertino Member Posts: 1,094
    Got to be LOTRO, as a WoW'er i picked it up right away and best of all i can wow'ify the controls. Roll a hobbit and check out the visuals... very impressive and ran great on my 9800pro.

IMHO Lotro is the only Good MMO since WoW, and WAR looks to be the 3rd.

• AelfinnAelfinn Member Posts: 3,857
    I will agree that AO is a good MMO, still after 6 years among the best out there as far as I am concerned. But it is definitely time consuming, it just might have the longest leveling process available in western style MMOs.

No man is an island, entire of itself; every man is a piece of the continent, a part of the main. any man's death diminishes me, because I am involved in mankind, and therefore never send to know for whom the bell tolls; it tolls for thee.
    Hemingway

• AntipathyAntipathy Member UncommonPosts: 1,362
    I think you need to give more details about what you liked and hated about WoW.

When you say endgame, do you mean raiding? In which case Everquest 2 may be worth considering, since it's a game that's pretty similar in feel to WoW in many respects. Another game in the same genre is Vanguard, although the game has strong pros and cons that should be investigated on the appropriate forum.

Do you enjoy PvP? In which case consider Guild Wars. It's endgame can be reached quickly and is entirely PvP based. Other heavily PvP based games include Dark Age or Camelot, Lineage 2 and the upcoming games Age Of Conan, Chronicles of Spellborn and Warhammer Online.

Or do you like instance runs? In which case you may want to consider "D&D Online". It hasn't got a vast amount of content but may keep you busy until something else comes along.

Most games out there will take longer to get to the endgame than WoW does. In some cases (Everquest 1, Lineage 2, FFXI) much longer.