Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

General: Slipgate To Build MMO Using BigWorld

Slipgate Ironworks selects BigWorld Technology as the platform for an upcoming MMOG title.

Slipgate Ironworks, the game development company formed in 2005 by John Romero, announced that it has chosen the BigWorld Technology Suite as the game development platform for its new MMOG title.

"The BigWorld solution enables a streamlined production period which brings our game to market sooner," said John Romero. "We are extremely pleased with the technology offering and support BigWorld is providing on this MMO."

"John Romero and his team have some very innovative ideas on what they wanted to achieve with this project," said Simon Hayes, CTO of BigWorld. "The solution we provided them with has allowed their team the creative freedom to create a truly unique next-gen MMOG."

Read more here.

Comments

• ZitchZitch Member Posts: 129

Originally posted by GFulls
    Slipgate Ironworks selects BigWorld Technology as the platform for an upcoming MMOG title.

Slipgate Ironworks, the game development company formed in 2005 by John Romero, announced that it has chosen the BigWorld Technology Suite as the game development platform for its new MMOG title.

"The BigWorld solution enables a streamlined production period which brings our game to market sooner," said John Romero. "We are extremely pleased with the technology offering and support BigWorld is providing on this MMO."

"John Romero and his team have some very innovative ideas on what they wanted to achieve with this project," said Simon Hayes, CTO of BigWorld. "The solution we provided them with has allowed their team the creative freedom to create a truly unique next-gen MMOG."

Read more here.

your link is bad (just shows the home site and no artical) image

edit: ok instead of that link... try this link image

More options to read ....

No more Trivial MMO's, let's get serious "again". Make a world, not a game
    What I listen to :)

• WarcriminalWarcriminal Member Posts: 244

Daikatana Online!!

• shaeshae Member Posts: 2,509

With John Romero at the helm of slipgate, I want a Vampire/Werewolf/Wtich game.

I doubt anyone could do it better. Except for maybe Anne Rice or the People at WhiteWolf.

• DeaconXDeaconX Member UncommonPosts: 3,062

I hear ya Shae.

While I love fantasy, I also love occult.  I'd love to have a 'horror-fantasy' style mmo in fact it was my suggestion to the group of developers I've been interacting with - however they went another course which is too bad... I love vampire lore especially and I think there's a huge crowd to gather up and a chance for great storytelling in a gothic setting also.

Someone will eventually get wise and make one... hopefully it won't suck.

Why do I write, create, fantasize, dream and daydream about other worlds? Because I hate what humanity does with this one.

BOYCOTTING EA / ORIGIN going forward.

Originally posted by DeaconX

I hear ya Shae.
    While I love fantasy, I also love occult.  I'd love to have a 'horror-fantasy' style mmo in fact it was my suggestion to the group of developers I've been interacting with - however they went another course which is too bad... I love vampire lore especially and I think there's a huge crowd to gather up and a chance for great storytelling in a gothic setting also.

Right there with you .

I'm of the oppinion, have been for awhile now, that a gothic horror MMO (whatever incarnation it woudl be) is the single biggest missing segment in the MMO industry.

I'm completely convinced that the moment someone creates a "Social" based Horror/Gothic MMORPG, it will be one of the top sellers in MMO history. Shame developers don't have the fortitude to make anything more than Fantasy Elf/Gnome/Warrior/Priest MMO's now days.

• MajorBiggsMajorBiggs Member UncommonPosts: 709
    Originally posted by shae

Originally posted by DeaconX

I hear ya Shae.

Right there with you .

I'm of the oppinion, have been for awhile now, that a gothic horror MMO (whatever incarnation it woudl be) is the single biggest missing segment in the MMO industry.

I'm completely convinced that the moment someone creates a "Social" based Horror/Gothic MMORPG, it will be one of the top sellers in MMO history. Shame developers don't have the fortitude to make anything more than Fantasy Elf/Gnome/Warrior/Priest MMO's now days.

Hopefully CCP and White Wolf's world of darkness MMO will deliver..but even then...I want something really dark out there. AoC supposedly will be dark, but meh. A horror-fantasy game sounds great in my opinion. Even better could be a sci-fi horror mmo. Think of Huxley's engine but with some seriously disgusting gameplay concepts hehe.

I get sick and tired of playing games where you have to be the badguy JUST to see the "dark" part of the game, which isn't really dark at all. Take CoV for example...thats not that villainy lol.

If there ever is a true horror fantasy/steampunk/mmofpsrpg, i'd play it till it dies.

I've conceptualized an entire MMO - but I lack the funds and technical skills... I'm just some dude from Canada with a dream hehe.  But damn I'd love to play a vampire already... I know I'd suffer in sales but I'd probably push for an Occult setting with an adult rating... the night life ain't for kids, sorry!

Why do I write, create, fantasize, dream and daydream about other worlds? Because I hate what humanity does with this one.

• CaesarsGhostCaesarsGhost Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 2,136
    even people with dreams and no money can start their own companies to make games.  I'm not sure what the cost of starting a company is in Canada, but it's pretty cheap here in the US.  Then you just need some friends with similar passion, and a passion to make it happen at any cost.

Take my word for it.  You can do it, if it's really your passion. :-D

- CaesarsGhost

Lead Gameplay and Gameworld Designer for a yet unnamed MMO Title.
    "When people tell me designing a game is easy, I try to get them to design a board game. Most people don't last 5 minutes, the rest rarely last more then a day. The final few realize it's neither fun nor easy."

Right On CaesarsGhost.  I'm glad to know someone still understands the strength of passion... I could write on and on but I'll save it cuz there's just too much to say.

Having worked for an MMO company (Shae can attest, who still probably dislikes me), I can honestly say that you can tell which MMOs out there are made because of passion and which ones are made by businessmen.  Some of the best MMO experiences I had were by the small projects who put their heart and soul and were bound to fail... but man, they wanted it BAD.

Pull your ideas together.  Make a big long document and keep improving upon it till you're creating items and stats for those items.  Or a dynamic system...  But you actually need to do it, don't just talk.

Talk gets you nowhere.  Actions can change the world for you... and you can, perhaps, change the world for somebody else.

- CaesarsGhost

"When people tell me designing a game is easy, I try to get them to design a board game. Most people don't last 5 minutes, the rest rarely last more then a day. The final few realize it's neither fun nor easy."

That's precisely why I'm hesitant... because I know despite having the passion and the ideas, that's just not enough in the end.  Failure sucks... but devoting years to a project only to fail sucks even more.  Then again all we can do is learn.  Well whom ever you are, you live up to your name sir.  What do you think the chances would be for me to get a team of people interested in building a small scale MMO from the forums on this site?  I've been heavily considering posting an 'all call' for 'talent'.  I'm a visionary and a storyteller but sadly lack any technical skills.  I've been creating pen & paper RPG material for a decade now -- and I'd love to share my stories with others.  But developing a group online connected electronically can be very... limiting and challenging.  What do you think?

You can always try... but your best resources are those who you have around you.  Surely, as a story teller (assuming it's TableTop) you have some nerdy friends who would be interested in small scale development for the sake of Title.

But like I said, you can always try.  If you want to try strange ideas, you should be prepared for such... never know.

But I encourage attempts.  Always.

For anyone.

- CaesarsGhost

• gdrivasgdrivas Member Posts: 23
    Hymm, as an investor, I can't said I would trust John Romero with my money. "Hire another badly needed graphic artist or buy myself a Ferrari"
    Originally posted by CaesarsGhost

Having worked for an MMO company (Shae can attest, who still probably dislikes me), I can honestly say that you can tell which MMOs out there are made because of passion and which ones are made by businessmen.  Some of the best MMO experiences I had were by the small projects who put their heart and soul and were bound to fail... but man, they wanted it BAD.

Pull your ideas together.  Make a big long document and keep improving upon it till you're creating items and stats for those items.  Or a dynamic system...  But you actually need to do it, don't just talk.

Talk gets you nowhere.  Actions can change the world for you... and you can, perhaps, change the world for somebody else.

Awwww CG, you make a girl cry .

I distrust you as a person in a professional manner and have absolutely no prefessional respect for you based on you treated the community in your former profession, but I'm really presumptious enough to think that I know you in any personal way at all.

So far as I know, we've never met, spoken or conversed in our entire lives, so how could I possibly have formed a personal oppinion of you on that level?

Are you stalking me all of a sudden?

I come back and all the last few sets of posts I've made have been replied to by you.  Maybe we should sit down and have a little convo... then you can say we chatted and you can form your opinion. :-)

- CaesarsGhost