Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Help me to understand the combat system.

It seems that a lot of people are very excited about the combat system in AoC.  I suspect that my impression of it must differ greatly from what other people are thinking.  Now it's true that I'm a very skeptical, very cynical person but maybe some of you know more about it than I do.

So here is my request.  If you would, post a hypothetical combat situation and how you see it playing out.  For simplicity just describe a one on one fight.  What I'm asking for is a play-by-play description of a fight with the specifics of exactly what each person is doing and what is happening.

I know that we are all working with incomplete information but I just want to get a clearer idea of how people envision it playing out.  I'm not asking for exact accuracy, just a description of how a hypothetical fight might play out based on your best guesses. 

Comments

• NeanderthalNeanderthal Member RarePosts: 1,861

I have to say the lack of responses to this suprises me. 

With all the excitement about the combat system; with fans saying it will be new and revolutionary and 3rd or 4th or whatever generation; with people saying that it will be so different and such an improvement...is there not one of you who even has a rough idea what the actual combat gameplay will be like?

All I want is to understand what people are expecting that has them so excited about it.  Because maybe I've missed something or mis-interpreted something.

And if nobody has any idea what it will be like then what is there to get excited about?  If none of you can even express a hope or a wish of what it could possibly be like then what prompts people to attach such positive adjectives to it when they mention it?

• SWGforrevaSWGforreva Member Posts: 194

well you shouldnt be suprised because its so easy to find this information for your self but ill give you the low down: 6 point directional-combat system; you have 6 directions to swing your sword, uper cut right (numpad 9) or maybe a lower cut 1 (numpad 1), this creates a fluent slash attack that does aoe dmg...now this is the basis of the combat system, it allows the use of combo moves by using the directional attacks to make more complex attacks or even finishing moves where u can grab ur enemy and stab him and throw his corpse to the ground...it gets very interesting and we've yet to see the complexity of all the combo moves, and even further down, the super combo moves where u string together regular combo moves to make one, huge, complex super combo..

• brokenneedlebrokenneedle Member Posts: 100
    Sounds like something more suited for an x-box controller than the numpad.  We'll see, even though I've read this and that about it, i'm still very curious to see how it actually turns out.  Hopefully good!

imageimage

• RaiblastRaiblast Member Posts: 49
    spells look interesting as well. you string components together during the Spellweave process, then you do some finishing command, and it casts the spell. then it then puts a drain on you, affecting the strength or ability of your next spell casting for a time. from what i understand, you can even go to the extreme of going well beyond your ability and possibly even kill yourself from the spellcasting. that'll add an interesting aspect.

it's...scary. very, very, very, scary...the world we live in...that's why i love the virtual world.

Originally posted by brokenneedle

Sounds like something more suited for an x-box controller than the numpad.  We'll see, even though I've read this and that about it, i'm still very curious to see how it actually turns out.  Hopefully good!
    well your right, this will be the first mmo to be released for console, xbox360, but you can always use a computer game pad which is kindy similar...but yes we have to see how it turns it, how the combat really feels..im hoping for the best since its something never done before

Ok, thanks for at least replying.  I already knew that much though.

Maybe I'm asking too much of people but what I was really asking about was how they imagine the actual combat gameplay to be.  I mean, when people get excited about it they must have some sort of conceptualization of it playing through their minds.

Ok, see....the reason I am critical about it is because the image that plays through my mind isn't all that thrilling.

When I imagine it it goes something like this:

I run up to a guy.

I know all the buttons to push in sequence to do my combo moves.  So does he.

I start pushing the buttons in the same sequence I always push them in every fight.  So does he.

Character stats, weapon/armor stats, and random rolls determine hits, misses, blocks, parries and dodges.

So if the rolls go my way I successfully complete my sequence of moves without having to start over.  Maybe my opponent does to.

So we just keep spamming through our sequences of button pushes and whoever the random rolls favor the most is the winner.

Right or wrong that's the way it plays out in my mind.  That's why I can't get excited about it.  The fact that other people are excited about it leads me to the conclusion that they have a completely different picture of it.  I'd like to know how other people visualize it so that I could at least understand why they are excited and maybe even modify my own picture of things.

• kashaunkashaun Member Posts: 220
    There are still some things with their system that are missing for me, but it's mostly personal preference, like shield moves and such. The way I understand it, is in conjunction with the directional attacks and combos, we'll have to factor in movement also considering the collision detection, if they still plan that. Probably the closest I can compare it picturing it in my own head, is diablo 2. Positioning myself for offense and defense, and for the best possible follow through with special hits like whirl wind and so on.

So, I'm thinking that I might face up against someone, find some decent ground with possible cover if needed, then attack with whatever directional attacks might do the most against my enemies position and their equipment. I don't know what sort of specialty moves there will be but I'll probably be timing those for when they're most needed and for when they'll look cool since I'm all about looking sexy. I usually prefer team combat though, so I'll probably be thinking most about formations and who will be using what sort of weapons and such or who will be mounted. That's just what I'm picturing at this point, will probably change as more videos and info comes out.

Never give up and never surrender!

• AelfinnAelfinn Member Posts: 3,857
    Heh, I can't be here all the time I do have a life to attend to you know.

Lineup #1: Ranger vs Guardian

R+G spot each other at the same time, they are approximately 100 yards apart, both dismounted

R pulls out his longbow.

G equips his shield and goes into a defensive stance meant for blocking projectiles as he runs towards R.

R begins slowly backing off, firing as fast as he can.

G's shield and stance end up blocking most of the shots, but he takes damage regardless.

When G gets real close, R pulls out a crossbow and fires using a skill made to cause bleeding type DOT, then switches to dual daggers.

G switches from a defensive stance to a highly offensive one and begins a combo made to cause massive damage to a single target.

R uses an evasive maneuver to dive out of the way and reciprocates with a light but fast attack combo before backing off again

G keeps up this time, uses one of his targeted strike skills, and renders R's already light armor nearly useless

G attacks again using a sweeping combo that is harder to dodge

R is badly wounded

R turns and runs

G uses a "hamstring" attack to slow R's escape

G decides to apply a bandage to stop the bleeding DOT (note: mistake)

R has reloaded the crossbow, turns, and fires while G is vulnerable

G dies

Lineup #2: Herald of Xotli vs Barbarian

B is mounted, H on foot, B spots H first

B begins a charge, equipping a claymore

H turns and launches a flaming brimstone spell at the horse

B's horse is stunned/killed/badly wounded, sending B flying off

H transforms into his demon form and equips an axe

H uses a self buff that literally ignites his own flesh, sort of a powerfull damage shield that acts as a DOT on oneself at the same time.

B is up again, decides to stick with the 2HE weapon due to the damage shield (slower, more powerfull hits also means fewer retaliatory PROCs)

H hits B with a simple fireball spell before closing in

H uses a form based clawing attack that weakens B's hits

B begins with a high sweeping combo attack that causes a lot of damage to H but leaves B vulnerable

H begins the short warmup for a very powerfull on touch fire spell, hoping to take advantage of it

B interrupts it with a swift kick to the groin

fire spell blows up in H's face

H dies

No man is an island, entire of itself; every man is a piece of the continent, a part of the main. any man's death diminishes me, because I am involved in mankind, and therefore never send to know for whom the bell tolls; it tolls for thee.
    Hemingway

Originally posted by Neanderthal

Ok, thanks for at least replying.  I already knew that much though.
    Maybe I'm asking too much of people but what I was really asking about was how they imagine the actual combat gameplay to be.  I mean, when people get excited about it they must have some sort of conceptualization of it playing through their minds.
    Ok, see....the reason I am critical about it is because the image that plays through my mind isn't all that thrilling.
    When I imagine it it goes something like this:
    I run up to a guy.
    I know all the buttons to push in sequence to do my combo moves.  So does he.
    I start pushing the buttons in the same sequence I always push them in every fight.  So does he.
    Character stats, weapon/armor stats, and random rolls determine hits, misses, blocks, parries and dodges.
    So if the rolls go my way I successfully complete my sequence of moves without having to start over.  Maybe my opponent does to.
    So we just keep spamming through our sequences of button pushes and whoever the random rolls favor the most is the winner.

Right or wrong that's the way it plays out in my mind.  That's why I can't get excited about it.  The fact that other people are excited about it leads me to the conclusion that they have a completely different picture of it.  I'd like to know how other people visualize it so that I could at least understand why they are excited and maybe even modify my own picture of things.
    well i have yet to play the game, and im pretty sure you have not either, so until then its all speculation; but like most mmos, they look great on paper but just do not turn out right..time will tell bro, personally im hoping for the best since it is different, u cant come to the conclusion that its really the same thing, you just cant..it will be different and it will play differently, you probably wont be able to keep using the same combos, for one we know there are cooldowns and 2 there are gonna be specific counters for specific classes or situations like any other mmo right?  one thing is for ceratin, you will actualy have to really play the game and pay attention, it wont be like in WoW where u just spam sunder armor and watch ur character attack, you will have to take a much more active role in controlling your character, this i know for sure
  • checkthis500checkthis500 Member Posts: 1,236
    Originally posted by SWGforreva

Originally posted by brokenneedle

well your right, this will be the first mmo to be released for console, xbox360, but you can always use a computer game pad which is kindy similar...but yes we have to see how it turns it, how the combat really feels..im hoping for the best since its something never done before The first if you're not counting FFXI or Phantasy Star Online, or Phantasy Star Universe. :p

Had to say it.  And the Xbox360 controller is compatible with a comp. IIRC one of the devs was playing it with the 360 controller in an interview or something.

---------------------------------------------
    I live to fight, and fight to live.

/delete

Thanks, Aelfinn.  That's what I was asking for.  I don't care how accurate it is I just wanted to know how people picture it in their minds at this point.

I'm not looking to start a fight with this thread and I'm not going to pick apart anything that anyone says.  I just wanted to know how other people imagine it will be.