Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DW broke and other bad mechanics

I could be wrong about this, but dual wielding in this game maybe broke. I'm currently playing a champion to level 20. So far I'ved played a Captain, Hunter and Guardian to level 20, but but I notice something with dual wielding in this game and it may not just extend to that. Because of Turbine's poor program and bad animation, the attack speed on my weapons are ignored. If I have a weapon with a speed of 1.7 and another that's 3.5, I should be able to get two hits off with my fastest weapon in 4 seconds while my slow hand would get one. However, the way Turbine has the weapon speed programed, you'll always attack with both weapons at the same time. So DWing is officially broke in this game and the only way to fix the DWing in this game, would be to revamp the whole melee system.

Other things to note:

- Pet's keep wondering off for the loremaster and captain.

- Spawning in this game is broke. The spawns are either random, in the case of the diseased boar quest, or the enemies spawn too fast.

- It's way too easy sneak-thief aka kill steal in this game especially if you're captain or loremaster. This is starting to become a huge complaint in the game.

- Players have gotten smart enough to chain aggro monster into trains. Train is when you getting a group monster to chase after you when draw aggro and lead them to another group to take care of. While you have the choice to engage or not engage, players have gotten smart enough to run towards class like the Champions who use AoE attacks and timing their approach so when a Champion performs a AoE, he accidently hits the oncoming mob. (I witness myself when a loremaster ran towards another Champion in the spider caves)

- I believe when teleporting to new areas, you are dropped down into the area because I read message when coming out of the tutorial and it said you have been injured from falling. How the hell do you get injured from falling when you haven't even jump off a high platform. It would explain why my guardian died the first time I played her and in the starting area.

That's all so far, but these are thing I've noticed playing my champion.

Comments

• WoodslingWoodsling Member Posts: 78

Troll or not... he has a point about this topics though. Pets do get lost... all the time, everywhere... on hills, at "border-lines" and other random places.

The spawns also seem a little out of whack here and there. I mean, how many pigs can there be in a populated area where they are slaughtered by the thousands every hour? (talking about Staddle and the Yellow-tree area)

As for the dual-wielding issue I have no idea whatsoever... I haven't played that kind of character as of yet. Though I do have to agree that the animations are somewhat odd at times.

Sometimes the only way to see if you've attacked with a certain attack is to see that the attack icon has been grey out and the timer has started ticking.

We can always hope that the anims will change soon though 'cause some of 'em sure are seriously underdeveloped.

Other than that I'm rather satisfied with the game even though I do feel it's a little too linear.

{ Mod Edit }

• mcai8rw2mcai8rw2 Member Posts: 57
    I don;t know what kind of love/hate relationship that the opening poster and We3ster have, but I find Lasteras comments very reasonable. All he/she is doing is pointing out some buggy-bits in LotRO.

Perhaps if all betatesters were as responsible as Lastera the bugs would vanish much quicker.

Anyway...I have certainly noticed that the wildlife is a little slothlike. Does [female deer not the 'does' word!]], foxes, etc will wander around, and get caught on a steep slope and stop there, forever.

• WoodslingWoodsling Member Posts: 78

I'm very aware of that the game is still in beta and a lot has to be tweeked. But as of now, this very moment, the above topics do carry weight.

And that's why we do beta-test it, isn't it? To find the oddities and to get the people "upstairs" to fix 'em, right?

As for how much trolling he has done or not that doesn't really bother me considering that the above issues do exist at the moment.

Sure there are just as many really great things in game aswell... but we seldom see those at boards such as these do we?

• we3sterwe3ster Member Posts: 355
    Originally posted by mcai8rw2

I don;t know what kind of love/hate relationship that the opening poster and We3ster have, but I find Lasteras comments very reasonable. All he/she is doing is pointing out some buggy-bits in LotRO.

Perhaps if all betatesters were as responsible as Lastera the bugs would vanish much quicker.

Anyway...I have certainly noticed that the wildlife is a little slothlike. Does [female deer not the 'does' word!]], foxes, etc will wander around, and get caught on a steep slope and stop there, forever.

Well I think a responsible beta tester would post any comments about bugs etc on the relevant boards on the LOTRO forums, a responsible beta tester would also know that they were in a beta and that the game is not yet completed.

I have no problem with people posting concerns about their dislikes about a game, god, I play and defend DDO, probably the most vilified game on these boards.

The problem I have is with people who have their petty concerns with a developer and don't like the fact that someone likes a game which causes these people to make every effort to rubbish a game and put people off!

You must not leave until you free Arlos and have gathered your party safely in this hallway.

• LasteraLastera Member Posts: 368
    In WoW, if you dual wield with a slow and fast weapon, the fast weapon (no matter what hand you have it in), will hit as many time it can before the slow weapon hits. Each hand has a different animations. If you're using a 1.0 dagger in your main hand and 3.0 sword in your right, you'll land 3 hits with your dagger in the same time it takes to swing your sword.

Now if you are using two daggers, the animation will look like an endless stream of blows. Kind of like a beat'em up game where you repeatedly hit an enemy. However, in LotRO, weapon speed is ignored because Turbine is using the same animations from DDO in this game. This hurting the Champions and probably the Burglar dips because the animations have a default speed on them instead of going by the speed of weapons. If I were guys I would report this matter immediately to forums because you guys are being cheated out of extra damage.
  • KhalathwyrKhalathwyr Member UncommonPosts: 3,133
    Originally posted by we3ster

Originally posted by Woodsling

Troll or not... he has a point about this topics though. Pets do get lost... all the time, everywhere... on hills, at "border-lines" and other random places.

The spawns also seem a little out of whack here and there. I mean, how many pigs can there be in a populated area where they are slaughtered by the thousands every hour? (talking about Staddle and the Yellow-tree area)
    As for the dual-wielding issue I have no idea whatsoever... I haven't played that kind of character as of yet. Though I do have to agree that the animations are somewhat odd at times.

Sometimes the only way to see if you've attacked with a certain attack is to see that the attack icon has been grey out and the timer has started ticking.

We can always hope that the anims will change soon though 'cause some of 'em sure are seriously underdeveloped.
    Other than that I'm rather satisfied with the game even though I do feel it's a little too linear. But hey, what do I know? I'm just a silly twat from Sweden...
    This game is in a beta, it's not finished yet, look thru some of Lastera's posts on the DDO boards over the last couple of months and you will see where I am coming from...........

You can look through their posts on this forum too and see that they are driven from a flat out hate of Turbine. No worries, though  We3ster. Most level headed people with serious interest in the game see those posts for what they are. Add to that the overwhelming positive flow of reviews (mind you, not blind fanboish ones but instead fair and balanced ones) since the NDA was lifted and, well, these LOTRO forums aren't in any danger from those who are just determined to ruin the game and Turbine in other people's opinions. Sure, there are things they can improve on, but hands down this game is in better shape than any other title that has recently launched or that will in the next few months.

For those interested, I just looked over the Champion Forums on the Beta Forums and didn't see an outcry about the DW being broke. Earlier their had been some concern, but DW is not a hot topic on the Champion Forums. Sure, some people may not feel like they are doing enough damage, but overall, as someone who has played a Champion up to 20, I think it's just right. *shrug*

"Many nights, my friend... Many nights I've put a blade to your throat while you were sleeping. Glad I never killed you, Steve. You're alright..."

Chavez y Chavez

• toonedtooned Member Posts: 41
    At what level do the differences in timing become noticable? I have a level 9 champion atm. And a few other classes. My highest is a 16 Elf caster. He's pretty decent. I like the skill set. Sorta like an original eq bard with slighlty more casting focus.

Then if it is "broke" as you say, I'm sure the devs, the ones who created it, know more about it than you and will fix it. Either way, why are you bringin it up here instead of on the Beta forums if you are truly concerned about it  and it being fixed? Could it be that you really don't care if it gets fixed and that you are just searching for things to troll and rant about instead of doing what a tester should be doing and reporting the issues?

Either way I haven't been on the DDO forums. I've just heard things from others who knew you from there that were told to me after you first started antagonizing those here who expressed anything positive about the game. Small mind? hah. I'm not the one trolling the forums of games I don't like. Either way, anyone who reads this thread know that you are reading the "opinions" of one who doesn't like Turbine and will jump at the chance to bash Turbine or any of their games in a heartbeat. With that knowledge, read their "opinions" at your own risk.

Public service announcement done. Have a GREAT DAY!!!

"Many nights, my friend... Many nights I've put a blade to your throat while you were sleeping. Glad I never killed you, Steve. You're alright..."

Chavez y Chavez

• CatclawwCatclaww Member Posts: 6
    Thats why they are releasing a big new patch today. Its a huge fix based on beta tester reports over the past weeks
  • checkthis500checkthis500 Member Posts: 1,236
    I must say I've never seen a post of a possible bug during beta testing time so horribly answered.  He says in the beginning of the post "I might be wrong about this" and then points out what he's noticed. 

The important thing about beta-testing is community support.  True he should probably report the bug, but it doesn't hurt to discuss the bug and possible others related to it in an open forum setting.  I'm really surprised how openly he was attacked for pointing out what seems like a very serious game-changing bug. 

I don't have much faith in Turbine myself when it comes to the QA (Quality Assurance) area of their testing.  There were bugs that I noticed in DDO that I was shocked were still in after release.  The main one being that Hair/Facial Hair wasn't attached well to the models, and there was a definite gap between where the hair started and where the model ended.

I wouldn't be surprised at all if silly bugs like this were in LOTRO as well, but I"m not beta testing it, so I don't really know. :)

But seriously, calm down on jumping on people with negative opinions.  It's one thing to have a negative view on the game and quite another to be trolling.  I highly doubt the OP was trolling like some of you think he was.

---------------------------------------------
    I live to fight, and fight to live.

• airheadairhead Member UncommonPosts: 718
    Originally posted by Lastera

In WoW, if you dual wield with a slow and fast weapon, the fast weapon (no matter what hand you have it in), will hit as many time it can before the slow weapon hits. Each hand has a different animations. If you're using a 1.0 dagger in your main hand and 3.0 sword in your right, you'll land 3 hits with your dagger in the same time it takes to swing your sword.

Now if you are using two daggers, the animation will look like an endless stream of blows. Kind of like a beat'em up game where you repeatedly hit an enemy. However, in LotRO, weapon speed is ignored because Turbine is using the same animations from DDO in this game. This hurting the Champions and probably the Burglar dips because the animations have a default speed on them instead of going by the speed of weapons. If I were guys I would report this matter immediately to forums because you guys are being cheated out of extra damage.
    Wouldn't it take a damage parse to really know for sure? I mean, what if hits and damage were NOT tied to the animations? That's the only real way to know... not by looking at the toon's movement and watching the numbers that appear. For that matter, the numbers displayed could even be skewed to show 'accumlated damage so far' for that arm... (sounds crazy I know)... need a damage parse before drawing conclusions about damage... instead of just looking at the animations.

(and you are correct about the WoW animations... WoW animations were by far the best for any MMO ever made)
  • virtuellavirtuella Member UncommonPosts: 699
    Originally posted by Catclaww

Thats why they are releasing a big new patch today. Its a huge fix based on beta tester reports over the past weeks
    I think you are refeering to the EU patch.

Todays EU patch is what the US tester have been playing with the last couple of weeks.

• vash79vash79 Member UncommonPosts: 72

You have good points. However it drives me crazy when people hate a company and how "they make games" , yet still play them just so they can complain. If you hate Turbine, it's simple, don't play their games anymore.

Lastera : I hate Turbine and how they make games.

Originally posted by Khalathwyr

Then if it is "broke" as you say, I'm sure the devs, the ones who created it, know more about it than you and will fix it.
    I didn't read rest of it, but I'm pretty sure you provide the evidence for statements right? This isn't my dps being messed since I'll be leave beta after April. Whether you see it as a troll attempt or not, I would investigate the gate the matter. I've tested it by letting my character fighting with no special attack using weapons with different weapons speeds. The animations either have thrust with both weapons at the same time or I'm doing a double back hand swing. Should I get a different animations with my speed weapon and a separate with my slow weapon.
    Originally posted by checkthis500

I must say I've never seen a post of a possible bug during beta testing time so horribly answered.  He says in the beginning of the post "I might be wrong about this" and then points out what he's noticed. 

The important thing about beta-testing is community support.  True he should probably report the bug, but it doesn't hurt to discuss the bug and possible others related to it in an open forum setting.  I'm really surprised how openly he was attacked for pointing out what seems like a very serious game-changing bug. 

I don't have much faith in Turbine myself when it comes to the QA (Quality Assurance) area of their testing.  There were bugs that I noticed in DDO that I was shocked were still in after release.  The main one being that Hair/Facial Hair wasn't attached well to the models, and there was a definite gap between where the hair started and where the model ended.

I wouldn't be surprised at all if silly bugs like this were in LOTRO as well, but I"m not beta testing it, so I don't really know. :)

But seriously, calm down on jumping on people with negative opinions.  It's one thing to have a negative view on the game and quite another to be trolling.  I highly doubt the OP was trolling like some of you think he was.
    Just to correct you here, that's she, not he.

But now you have idea of what happened on the DDO forums and why I rarely go there. Aside from the forums being dead, they themselves have become trolls too after being messed with by other trolls. I've noted some bugs about that game too and all do lash out. LotR has it share of bugs and probably will remain there as these guys are too stubborn to get off their high horse to check it out. It's not my problem, I've done my good girl scout deed for the day. It'll be something I can sit back and laugh at in the coming months after launch.
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,003

IT's beta.

report these things as bugs.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
    Originally posted by Mars505

Originally posted by Sovrath

IT's beta.
    report these things as bugs.
    He isn't trying to better the game here, he is trying to discredit, trolling is another word,

If he was serious he would of posted them on the official site then opened a objective discussion here. Never sign up for the boards nor did I receive an activation code, but again I'm not going to be playing after April. That's something for you guys to fix, but find it funny you guys didn't even see the error exist until now.
    Originally posted by Quingu

Originally posted by JonMichael

Originally posted by Mars505

What error ? What are you talking about !? LOL , wow youmake absolutely 0 senses
    You just made yourself look silly seeing you jump on topic and didn't bother to read the post. Try reading the post for what the error was.

Try posting possible game errors in the beta forums where they belong. 

The believability of your information dwindles with each post you make.

he not posting because the bugs he posting here are just lies he making it up.

ROFL! Currently playing LotR, but I don't care if you believe it or not. Seeing as some of guys aren't going to fix the problem again, you've going to give me something to laugh in the months to come. Again, whether you consider me a troll or not, the DW is broke.

{ Mod Edit }

• The user and all related content has been deleted.

"Freedom is just another name for nothing left to lose" - Janis Joplin

Originally posted by Khalathwyr

Then if it is "broke" as you say, I'm sure the devs, the ones who created it, know more about it than you and will fix it.
    I didn't read rest of it, but I'm pretty sure you provide the evidence for statements right? This isn't my dps being messed since I'll be leave beta after April. Whether you see it as a troll attempt or not, I would investigate the gate the matter. I've tested it by letting my character fighting with no special attack using weapons with different weapons speeds. The animations either have thrust with both weapons at the same time or I'm doing a double back hand swing. Should I get a different animations with my speed weapon and a separate with my slow weapon.

Like others have said as well as myself, just because you think it is not working does not mean that it isn't in fact working like it should. All you have presented is your opinion and haven't detailed factual evidence to support it. THe devs have been very open about such things since I've been in beta (last August) about issues like that and have been up front with posting them on the beta boards and that they were working on them. The DW issue that you say exists isn't a topic on the boards that I have seen lately. If someone else does find it and can point me to it, then I'd be wrong and it is a problem. That said, there is nothing to support that there is a problem with DW.

But it's cool, I'm going to roll a Champion tonight and do some testing of my own as I haven't played once since late December / early January.

Edit: And I won't be looking at the animations, as Mars505 pointed out. I'll be looking at the actual combat tab to see my hits with each weapon.

Chavez y Chavez

This discussion has been closed.