Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Thoughts of return.. DAOC is still king.

So here i stand contemplating as to whether or not buy the anniversary version of DAOC. If you look to the sidebar at released games as well as games in development the pickings are really slim. In fact game innovation and creativity has been at a standstill for years. The grind factor is dull and boring and basically remains unchanged.  PVE is predictable where as PVP is not. So of all the games i see in under development, only one catches my eye. Warhammer online another prodigy of Mythic Entertainment.

Over the years no other gaming company provided the customer support or kept players informed on status of game issues. In fact they implemented many player wishes in the game. Community friendly? Yes very much so. I played DAOC for 3+ years i suppose. What actually drove me away was TOA and unaddressed buffbots. Those two things drove a HUGE amount of players away. Was DAOC the best in PVE.. Well maybe not quite as good as EQ or EQ2 is but DAOC had the added element of PVE with PVP. So let me make some comparisons or dislikes and likes of other games.

Guild Wars- The entire game is instanced. They have henchmen.. This kills a huge part of the social element of an MMORPG. PVP is small scale and instanced.. Boring..WoW like... Medieval form of FPS if you will. Quests are boring. Graphics are quite good. What i disliked most about this game? the first two things i mentioned.

World of Warcraft- Not so much instanced. PVE is better then GW.  Instance PVP sucks and from my latest reads it still sucks. Blizzard customer support is second rate though they are getting better. The latest TBC expansion didn't add anything to warrant my return. PVE is always secondary to PVP for me. What i liked most about WOW? Personal mounts and the Auction House/Mail system. DAOC could implement a system like this im sure. Talking about AH and mail that is as i understand personal mounts are available in DAOC now.

Lets establish one thing. DAOC and its RVR combat system is still the best team based PVP system out there. Nothing now or in the near future with the exception of Warhammer Online which is projected to be released in 3Q07 or later can compare to this 5 year old MMORPG. Is DAOC a great game. I haven't played in over 2 years but most think it is. The only major complaint i read about is lower population on some servers. Could Mythic turn that around? Yeah i think they could with some good advertising.

I'm really considering buying the 5th Anniversary Edition and starting  to play again after a  lengthy absence.. When i ask myself what i  am looking for in a game its got to have the best team based/oriented PVP system in place. It has to be in a Medieval time frame. So truth be told when we look at DAOC then and now from a PVP perspective, their is nothing better or anything in the foreseeable future that matches what DAOC has to offer. *maybe WAR*... Many times i have said to myself, I need to find a game with similar PVP to DAOC. There is none!

Vistaakah

Comments

• CalinghCalingh Member Posts: 6
    Yes... DAoC is still king .  My brother (Gurgl, Hibernia {Lamorak}, level 50 NS) and I (Calingh, Hibernia {Lamorak}, level 50 Ranger) haven't found a better game yet.  The new expansion, LotM, really is fun.  Most people dislike it because it's zergs and stealthers everywhere down there.  MY brother and I are both really into stealthers though, so we love it.  If you plan on making a character for down there, make someone with an AoE mezz or a sneak lol.  I agree, the game population has really fallen since ToA, but if you play on the Bossiney cluster, then it isn't all that bad.  If you do decide to start a DAoC account back up, look me up in Mid (Gareth) or Hib (Lamorak).  Viperstrikelll, or anything that starts with Dred on Mid.  If on hib, type /who decimus legio, and ask any of them if Calingh is on in any form.