Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is this game revolutionary, or life-stealing?

NagelFireNagelFire Member Posts: 409

Im looking for a new game to play.  Everyone I asked said one of 3 things..

1 - Get Wow

2 - Wait for Vanguard (Ive tried it, FUn game, Needs to get the bugs fixed)

3 - Try EVE

Now, I ask you community members.  Is EVE online revolutionary, Or will I waste countless hours doing things that have no benefit to me whatsoever?   I play wow, End game is life-stealing, but the leveling is fun.  Is the EVE online experiance the same?  I read massive magazine, and I heard about the whole corporation scandel thing.  Does stuff like this happen often?  Having countless hours of playing time ruined in a period of 30 seconds?

-------------------------

Comments

• binjuicebinjuice Member Posts: 363
    this is not a flame bash, so bare with me...

Eve has these things missing that any MMO player that started with WoW will first off miss,

1) A player avatar, walking talking, dancing, waving person to look at. We got ships, a pod and a lil bio image, tats it.

2) Quests, you level in WoW by doing quests, or errands, eve- you level by skill points (over real time) and so dont really feel like your progressing, the mean time you do "missions" to accumulate isk (money) before you can move into something bigger and stronger

3) Levels, same as above

4) WoW takes a short amount of time to get to the endgame, eve, there is no endgame, you can do anything from the get go, just set a target and head for it. Nobody has the same overall plan as you, just similar ones, btw, skills only give minor boosts after a certain point so "catching up" to "vets" is possible to a degree

5) PvP is zoned and regulated, Eve you take a step in the wrong direction once, and bam there goes everything, and you dont get much back

6) Wow death penalty non existant, Eve - you die everything in the ship now belongs to who killed you, well what ever survived- you get a monetary amount back, insurance, the more you pay for the mor eyou get back, minimum amount is given no matter what

with that in mind, Eve is a game to try because it is the only really decen player base that doesn't follow the trend for levels, skills, pvp. Try it if you like to do something different, btw the learning curve is insane, do the tutrorial all the way through (if you dont you will miss out on a lot of must know information) the help forum and Eve-university will help alot for ingame questions, let alone local and other easy access channels. Hust try the trial, you'll find it at the main site.

"Just because there are other colours to use in chat does not mean you have to use them..." - Please follow

• blackcat35blackcat35 Member Posts: 479

I'd strongly suggest avoiding Eve.  The two biggest problems with the game :

(1)  You have to wait on real time to pass to gain any skills...after your basic skills you have to constantly wait and wait for real life to pass to advance in this game...as you move into the higher level skills, you have to wait longer and longer periods of time, often up to a month or longer for 1 lvl 5 skill....that is $15 of your subscription for this one skill....

(2)  no queu's to switch between skills, because the entire model is faulty and not coded correctly, you can actually gain skills while not paying...just set your skill to train and cancel your account, wait until your skill is trained then pay for the month, next month train longish skill and cancel again....if they put in queu's then you could train all your skills without ever paying the subscription....CCP really doesn't know what they are doing and it shows in the fact that in today's game market queu-ing is pretty normal, but not for EVE

There are other major problems such as it does get tedious and many boring activities like mining or missioning to gather ISK....CCP corruption

if you have to try this game try the free trial but avoid the tutorial, it makes you think there is something that this game has that it really doesn't, there is no voice overs in the actual game......game mechanics aren't that complicated and its relatively easy to understand without the trial, you can also ask questions in their help channel....although they often aren't very helpful...

==========================
    The game is dead not, this game is good we make it and Romania Tv give it 5 goat heads, this is good rating for game.

Originally posted by blackcat35

I'd strongly suggest avoiding Eve.
    *SNIP*  

Do not go by what blackcat35 says due to reasons he was scammed without paying attention to the game, eve works on a realistic market, YOU CAN GET SCAMMED, it is PART OF THE GAME. Like in real life, you don't buy into something you can't control properly. Blackcat35 lost his entire capital because he didn't set a bar in the contracts so that anyone could have bought his 450 million isk item for 0.01 isk, which they did. remember, read the fine details, they are there for a reason.

His entire view on the game was then tarnished and now has a bias, oinion which rests on a songle case anyone can avoid if they pay attention...

Please ignore him trolling any new topics for new players.

Just my 2 cents and a few hundred notes on BC35.

"Just because there are other colours to use in chat does not mean you have to use them..." - Please follow

• RattrapRattrap Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,599

First of all

EVE is very much life stealing. Why ?

Because , if you want to reach any acceptable level of power in game you have to play (pay) for at least one year.

After that, you will not just quit...after all you invested 1 year into it...and so on and so on - real devil circle.

Still EVE definetly has its merits.

You should look into EVE if

You like games with meaningfull PVP

You like strategy games (like homeworld)

You perfere micromanaging (equipment , skills) over hand on action

Dont look into it if

You like PVE rather than PVP

You like action and dislike timesinks

You plan to play less than 1-2 years

"Before this battle is over all the world will know that few...stood against many." - King Leonidas

• outthislifeoutthislife Member Posts: 115
    Originally posted by Rattrap

First of all
    EVE is very much life stealing. Why ?
    I lol'd

Because , if you want to reach any acceptable level of power in game you have to play (pay) for at least one year.

After that, you will not just quit...after all you invested 1 year into it...and so on and so on - real devil circle.
    No, you don't. You just can't suck like you did. ^_^

Still EVE definetly has its merits.
    You should look into EVE if
    You like games with meaningfull PVP

You like strategy games (like homeworld)

You perfere micromanaging (equipment , skills) over hand on action
    Dont look into it if
    You like PVE rather than PVP

You like action and dislike timesinks
    EVE has a lot of action.

You plan to play less than 1-2 years
    No. This is false, again. You can hop in, play maybe a week with a frigate and PvP.

• ProdudeProdude Member Posts: 353

Just another opinion: WoW amd Eve are 2 totally different styles. I've played both. There is always something to do in WoW for your character to 'gain'. For me, EvE was very boring. As stated above, lvlining is very slow and the missions gave me no real sense of accomplishement for the time invested. The graphics are nice. I have Screen Savers that do the same for me.

Just don't see the attraction to EvE but then as I stated above, "Just another opinion"......Try it to be sure

• LordSlaterLordSlater Member Posts: 2,087

EvE is a really well made sandbox game but. It is skill based and you need skils to use the good stuff and you need skills to use the normal stuff. And as skill learning is done in real time and not based on what you do it can take a few months to really get into eve.

If you are will ing however to wait 3-4 months to start getting into the good stuff then you will find eve a very good game with great groups of people and virtuall communitys.

In brief EvE is boring in the short term but inthe long run its very exiting.

• bawldybawldy Member Posts: 151
    Read up on current events and scandals, use a trial account to give it a go, make an informed decision.

The game has so much to offer, best graphics I've seen.

CCP though has some behaviors that caused a lot of players to quit recently, players that been in the game for a long time.

So read up, better to make an informed decision then get mad later if something (CCP) ticks you off.

ccp the "we cheat for our buddies and are proud of it" company...

• NagelFireNagelFire Member Posts: 409

I decided to give it a go this morning.  First impressions -

Geez, Thats one long tutorial.  Took me a good 2-3 hours to complete it.  I like the graphics and things.  Although, Sometimes you tend you have to wait 10 minutes to get from 1 area to another, but that may just be because im using one of those trial ships.

Game pick up at all?

-------------------------

• damian7damian7 Member Posts: 4,449
    Originally posted by NagelFire

Im looking for a new game to play.  Everyone I asked said one of 3 things..
    1 - Get Wow
    2 - Wait for Vanguard (Ive tried it, FUn game, Needs to get the bugs fixed)
    3 - Try EVE
    Now, I ask you community members.  Is EVE online revolutionary, Or will I waste countless hours doing things that have no benefit to me whatsoever?   I play wow, End game is life-stealing, but the leveling is fun.  Is the EVE online experiance the same?  I read massive magazine, and I heard about the whole corporation scandel thing.  Does stuff like this happen often?  Having countless hours of playing time ruined in a period of 30 seconds?

1- same old fantasy blah

2- bug filled BETA which was released into retail, per the devs, because they went thru $40 million in 4 years and ran out of money

3- be sure to join BOD, or some equally staff-supported alliance.  even then, the pvp is a complete gankfest - winner = who can call the most reinforcements the fastest.  if pvp weren't  a joke and broken, then tell the devs - they're the ones talking about all these pvp changes BECAUSE pvp is a joke.

could we please get correspondent writers and moderators, on the eve forum at mmorpg.com, who are well-versed on eve-online and aren't just passersby pushing buttons? pretty please?

• damian7damian7 Member Posts: 4,449
    Originally posted by binjuice

I'd strongly suggest avoiding Eve.
    *SNIP*  

Do not go by what blackcat35 says due to reasons he was scammed without paying attention to the game, eve works on a realistic market, YOU CAN GET SCAMMED, it is PART OF THE GAME. Like in real life, you don't buy into something you can't control properly. Blackcat35 lost his entire capital because he didn't set a bar in the contracts so that anyone could have bought his 450 million isk item for 0.01 isk, which they did. remember, read the fine details, they are there for a reason.

His entire view on the game was then tarnished and now has a bias, oinion which rests on a songle case anyone can avoid if they pay attention...

Please ignore him trolling any new topics for new players.

Just my 2 cents and a few hundred notes on BC35.

soon as you put *snip* into your post, everything else you said went to blahblahblahkieronblahblahtirqblahblah

*snip* is what the forum nazis on eve-o forums do when they're "moderating" posts.  that is, if they're not just deleting the thread itself.

and look, the person put anti-eve comments, and a *snip* appeared... how eve-o-esque.

could we please get correspondent writers and moderators, on the eve forum at mmorpg.com, who are well-versed on eve-online and aren't just passersby pushing buttons? pretty please?

• HelioconHeliocon Member Posts: 44

Sorry got to say this im trolling today i know. EVE haters leave wtf are you on the eve forums anyway????? EVE (in my opinion which we all know is the right opinion  ) Is a great game the main fault though is that its so diverse a sandbox people dont know what to do wit hthere time! Most who try then dis it havent even done the good stuff yet or any real pvp. For your question I dont think its steals your life because of the skill based system which means you can train when your not there. But its a really revolutionary fun unique game that all should try with a open minds.

All bow ot eve and the gods of ccp!  *just joking.......

• NicoliNicoli Member Posts: 1,312

Geez, Thats one long tutorial.  Took me a good 2-3 hours to complete it.  I like the graphics and things.  Although, Sometimes you tend you have to wait 10 minutes to get from 1 area to another, but that may just be because im using one of those trial ships.
    Game pick up at all?
    Well one thing that they don't tell you in the tutorial is that autopilot is only used when you don't want to be at teh key board. here's the fastest way to travel around and can keep the travel times very reasonable if you stay with in a 2-3 jump radius of your home station.

1. Right click a stargate and add it to the overview. this will make it show up in the list on the right hand side. As a suggestion right click most of the non-hostile NPC stuff like the customs officials and Concord and remove them from the overview to keep things from getting to cluttered.

2. Set the autopilot destination but do not activate the autopilot.

3. The stargate's icon to the next system on the route should be highlighted yellow

4. right click the yellow stargate and select  "warp to 0km"

5. once you leave warp you should be at the perfect distance to jump or dock instantly.

note that once you enter the next system the highlighted stargate will be updated for the next jump. this shpuld save you alot of time for that travel. If it is slow boat traveling like to a warp beacon or acceleration gate then here are a list of modules that you can add to increase the speed of  your ship.

Passive

Nanofiber internals

Overdrive injections

Active

Afterburner(AB)

Micro Warp Drive(MWD)

All the use of Internal Stabilizers will boost the effectiveness of the ABs and MWDS.
  • blackcat35blackcat35 Member Posts: 479

Game pick up at all?
    game doesn't pick up that much unless your doing PVP......being in the starting ship blows, get a frigate at least....

==========================
    The game is dead not, this game is good we make it and Romania Tv give it 5 goat heads, this is good rating for game.

• DinionDinion Member Posts: 879
    Big alliance blob PvP is completely broken, I honestly suggest you stay away from it. The fun lies with smaller alliances/corporations where you have small gang PvP like 10 vs 10 rather than 100 vs 100 node crashing fest. Like another guy said, you have alliances like BoB(aka BoD) who really take the fun out of the game ,where half their time is spent exploiting game mechanics they don't get punished for and it's been proven that they receive "help" from devs and GMs. It favoritism at it's best.  There are a lot of problems in EVE but I find a way to enjoy it by just staying away from all the bullshit.

BoB really needs to go down in this war, the community is hearing about exploit after exploit and bullshit after bullshit and we see the devs/GMs do absolutely nothing about it, we are all just so tired of their existence and they really are ruining the game for a number of people.

BTW I think the real time skill training is the best thing ever, just set a skill then go do whatever you want until it's trained. I've been playing a year and a half now and I no longer stress over skill training and when things finish, all my fun lies in PvP, production, hanging with corp/alliance mates and overall finding ways to improve my networth. My goal right now is to actually build a Carrier Capital ship from complete scratch which I'll be able to use very soon. I'm never just doing one single thing, I'll mine, I'll mission, I'll belt rat, I'll explore, I'll produce, I'll run goods to sell to my alliance, I'll PvP, I just do whatever the hell I feel like at the time. Sadly though it's true that it does take a good investment in real and play time to get to the point where I'm at, which is the one downfall, no one wants to wait months to a year before they can really enjoy themselves. CCP has helped this though by introducing better starting characters, you start out with A LOT more skills than you did when I began playing.

----------------------------------
    MMOs Retired From: Earth and Beyond, Project Entropia, There, A Tale in the Desert, Star Wars Galaxies, World of Warcraft, Eve Online, City of Heroes/Villains.

MMOs Currently (worth) Playing: None.

MMO hopefuls: Age of Conan.

Originally posted by damian7

*snip*

soon as you put *snip* into your post, everything else you said went to blahblahblahkieronblahblahtirqblahblah
    *snip*

The reason there is a snip there, is so the forum is spammed with the same chunk of text over and over again, its not naziing, its being helpful to those that have toscroll down through all the "quotes"

sheesh, thats what I call over reacting  ^_^

• soccesocce Member Posts: 11

NagelFire  well Start the game and     well EvE aint life   stealing      you dont have the ******** grinding shit

in EvE Online     it's play the game    O    end game ?   LoL     No one have reached the   end game zone and never will

in EvE Online                 WoW is tiny world compare to eve

played : daoc,enb,swg,eqII,lineageII,GW,AA,neocron,ryzom,eve, and beta testing 20 titles some: GE,Lotr,WH and more.

• pihlssitepihlssite Member CommonPosts: 213

I first wounder what you mean with life stealing as most mmorpg are first you need to grind
    your self up to some max lvl then in some " wow & daoc " raid endless hours to get the master lvls or items for your character.

Games are Timesink's you could also call them life enhancers ;)

EvE is a skill based game and you dont need to play 8 hours a day to keep close steps
    with your ingame friends " you continue skilling while you are offline"

I would start EvE Online if " I was tired of XP and needed a Game who have more content "

EvE is a amazing mmo, and no grinding O as Im a father EvE is perfect when you got kids or a IRL life it's nearly impossible to stay on top in other mmo's but in EvE it's great..

Test EvE Online

• MorkusMorkus Member UncommonPosts: 9
    EVE is not revolutionary, but it is slowly turning into a life-stealing game.

When I started playing 3 years ago it was pretty simple and fun to engage in PvE and PvP.

Now this is not much fun, if you want to engage in some of these it will be very laggy or take very long time.

I lost interest, because the game has to many bugs - every time they add a patch with new features some of the old

stuff in game is broken. The game is going downhill and it is going faster and faster IMO very sad!

After I found games like VCO and found that they are free, why bother with an "expensive" game like EVE.

VCO is free and offers 90% of the entertainment that EVE used to do.

It will keep me occupied until WAR is released
  • MoghidinMoghidin Member UncommonPosts: 96
    Guys, if you think there's no grind in Eve, get a clue. Yes, you don't grind for skills, but you grind for in-game money, called ISK (unless you can spend some of your $$$ on it of course). You skill and skill and skill, but after a certain amount of time, you will have to fly very expensive ships and modules if you want to put those skills to a good use, or you want to play against some more advanced players. Those ships and modules cost a lot, and you can lose them very fast. That is where grind comes in. You have to kill tons and tons of NPCs or engage in absolutely dumb mining for hours to get enough ISK to by that staff. Eve is grind at higher levels.
  • NicoliNicoli Member Posts: 1,312
    Moghidin is partially correct, the upper end modules cost a bit though most are going down due to a new crafting system that was implemented with the last expansion. What he misses is that you don't have to use them in 95% of your setups. I live in 0.0 have just short of 20million SP(about 2 years worth of training) and fly into pvp with mostly T1 ships fitted with T1 equipment with the oddball T2 equipment that survived off of a player kill.

One of the most costly things to learn in the game is the balance between cost and effectiveness. Sure those T2 Weapons are really great but in a large gang where ships are getting melted in a salvo or 2 they really mean jack and are no where near cost effective over some of the cheaper T1 and "named" modules. Other equipment you really desperately need, Cover ops Cloak on a Covert ops ship being the example.

And while there is a isk grind for the most part it is balanced by location, you are expected to lose alot more ships in 0.0 but it is possible to earn upwards of 50mil a hour mining or possibly more if your ratting. You don't earn near as much mission running but for the most part mission runners are good at what they do and they lose ships at a far slower rate.
  • ChipSet91ChipSet91 Member UncommonPosts: 39

I'd strongly suggest avoiding Eve.  The two biggest problems with the game :
    (1)  You have to wait on real time to pass to gain any skills...after your basic skills you have to constantly wait and wait for real life to pass to advance in this game...as you move into the higher level skills, you have to wait longer and longer periods of time, often up to a month or longer for 1 lvl 5 skill....that is $15 of your subscription for this one skill....

So true, 2-3 year veteran will always have more sp (skill) then you. So, in some way, they will always be better  and/or be able to do more stuff in game and sadly, the more money you give to CCP the better is your char, despite the amount of time you wish or could put in game. 

• MoghidinMoghidin Member UncommonPosts: 96
    Originally posted by Nicoli

Moghidin is partially correct, the upper end modules cost a bit though most are going down due to a new crafting system that was implemented with the last expansion. What he misses is that you don't have to use them in 95% of your setups. I live in 0.0 have just short of 20million SP(about 2 years worth of training) and fly into pvp with mostly T1 ships fitted with T1 equipment with the oddball T2 equipment that survived off of a player kill.

One of the most costly things to learn in the game is the balance between cost and effectiveness. Sure those T2 Weapons are really great but in a large gang where ships are getting melted in a salvo or 2 they really mean jack and are no where near cost effective over some of the cheaper T1 and "named" modules. Other equipment you really desperately need, Cover ops Cloak on a Covert ops ship being the example.

And while there is a isk grind for the most part it is balanced by location, you are expected to lose alot more ships in 0.0 but it is possible to earn upwards of 50mil a hour mining or possibly more if your ratting. You don't earn near as much mission running but for the most part mission runners are good at what they do and they lose ships at a far slower rate.
    Yes, you can actually bring T1 into the fight and in most cases it won't change much. I simply felt very uncomfortable, when most of my gang-mates were bringing HAC's, command ships or recon cruisers and I was flying a miserable T1 cruiser. Or when an FC asks to bring a battleship with T2 guns and ammo and you bring a T1 fitted ship. Besides that, I had all skills trained at high lvl  for fully T2 fitted HAC, and I never used it, after time it just  became too depressing.
  • Vandal783Vandal783 Member Posts: 57
    I'm gonna be honest and just say that I skipped by everyone elses posts cause its seemed to get a little off topic.

To the OP.

I personally quit WoW a long time ago for a couple reasons. First off its was getting boring but secondly..it WAS life stealing like you said. I came to the realization that there are more important things out there than a stupid game. When I started playing Eve I was a little weary to get back into an MMO because I didnt want to get that addicting feeling again. But let me jsut say that Eve can be a relaxing game that you can play whenever you want. It doesnt require you to BE ON AT 9pm OR YOU DONT GET AN INVITE TO THE RAID AND DONT GET UBER LOOT! I say that it caps because thats the feeling you get in WoW. I love Eve because I have a real life outside the game...I take a day or two off and can go visit friends to come back to a character that has progressed over two days even though I havent played at all.

On top of that its a fun game, enough said. But once again I gotta say..dont let a game engulf your life...
  • brokenneedlebrokenneedle Member Posts: 100

I fell asleep quite a few times mining.  We'd be doing mission-mining for tons of omber or whatever and I'd be laying in my bed with my arm stretched out to the mouse to drag the ore from ship to can.  Then suddenly i'd wake up with the sun shining and me floating in my pod.

It can be REALLY fun (well dunno now but a year ago) and it can be REALLY GOD-AWFUL boring.  And as far as the 10-minute travel time, you lucked out.  You can get some WAY longer runs going.  Even with instas it was the pits. 

Stick out the trial and see what you think.

imageimage