Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

This game nearly ruined my life

13»

Comments

• memdropmemdrop Member Posts: 20

oh well here we go again... i started playing UO when it was on beta(1997) and then i played over 5years it(OSI). but it's true that no other mmo gave me kicks like UO did... uh those days... UO was like sex, when you start it you cant stop it.

thats all i got to say for now

• nakumanakuma Member UncommonPosts: 1,310

if you can't learn to balance your responsibilities you have no one to blame but yourself. seek help, seek therapy if you feel you have a problem. there are therapists who can help you and are willing to help you. but you can't really get mad at UO and the devs for something you did of your accord. you made the concious decision to stay up late, not go to work, neglect your girlfriend.

hell i love games myself, but my girl and work comes first. hell think about it if i have no job how the hell am i gonna pay for my habit lol. how the hell am i gonna take my girl out to the movies or lavish on her when i wanna get some nookie after a hard days work. dude balance, and moderation is key bro. i feel for you a bit, but cant really sympathize for you.

3.4ghz Phenom II X4 965, 8GB PC12800 DDR3 GSKILL, EVGA 560GTX 2GB OC, 640GB HD SATA II, BFG 1000WATT PSU. MSI NF980-G65 TRI-SLI MOBO.

• DarkmastershDarkmastersh Member Posts: 205
    My advice, if you were so addicted with UO, STAY AWAY FROM ANY MMORPG!

Better yet, stay away from the computer and do something fun.............in the real life
  • Ren'aiRen'ai Member Posts: 3

*Sniff* i remember my beloved UO, how I use to stay up all night with my guild members.  I logged in a few times, but sadly my old server seems to get smaller and smaller. Anyways, I was just wonder if there are any new MMOs out there that have a battle system like uo. I guess what i mean is... is there any MMOs that have a PvP system like the old UO.

I tried a few games but it seems that most don't really involve skill and speed like UO did, you know what i mean?

• richard22182richard22182 Member Posts: 31
    well the closest thing is a game thats been in develeopment forever and might not come out : ( but if it does and is what the creators claim it will be badass and very similar to oldschool uo. darkfall  hope it comes out soon : / but till then just xfer ur char to a good shard : P like atl gl europa or something
  • HensenLirosHensenLiros Member Posts: 461
    I would have lost a lot of stuff as well if it wasn't for the sleeping pills and the anphetamine-based meds I used to take back when I played UO for real. Having an addictive personality and playing addictive mmos isn't really a good idea lol. At least my addictness only lasted around 2-3 months, then I managed to take control and reduce the play time to around 3-4 hours per day. But seriously, you're not alone, like 2 friends who used to play with me lost an year on school because of UO, and another got expeled on the first semester for only being present at 4 classes during the whole semester (wonder why? lol).

Ultima Online 98~04
    Dark Age of Camelot 03~07
    Final Fantasy XI 04~06
    Guild Wars 05~08
    World of Warcraft 04~05
    Unsuccessful Tries: DFO/EQ2/DRaja/Rag/Req/RYL/9D/Cabal/KO/PSU/RF/GE/TO/TR/DDO/EVE/LoTRO/L2/RZ/SWG/VG

Originally posted by richard22182

well the closest thing is a game thats been in develeopment forever and might not come out : ( but if it does and is what the creators claim it will be badass and very similar to oldschool uo. darkfall  hope it comes out soon : / but till then just xfer ur char to a good shard : P like atl gl europa or something

Well i thought about the xfer but since the many combat changes, i just can't seen to get into it anymore. =(  the day I decided to really stop playing was shortly after all the armor stats came in. Someone I use to kill in seconds actually stood toe to toe with me. It just seems to me that if you want to be strong nowdays you need gp.

anyways, thanks for the info. guess i'll be keeping an eye out for darkfall.

• HadesPvPHadesPvP Member Posts: 33
    It's funny, 3 of my buddies and I were talking about this today. Two of them started in 98 and me and this other guy started in 99. We were remembering all sorts of stuff you never see anymore. Remember when a lot of fights were red vs. blues? Remember when you needed regs to cast spells and mages usually didn't wear armor at all? Remember how good it felt to get revenge against pks that killed you? The game is just not the same anymore. I miss my vanquishing katana and my small house that I shared with a friend.

Originally posted by HadesPvP

It's funny, 3 of my buddies and I were talking about this today. Two of them started in 98 and me and this other guy started in 99. We were remembering all sorts of stuff you never see anymore. Remember when a lot of fights were red vs. blues? Remember when you needed regs to cast spells and mages usually didn't wear armor at all? Remember how good it felt to get revenge against pks that killed you? The game is just not the same anymore. I miss my vanquishing katana and my small house that I shared with a friend.

oh yeah, almost forgot about the red vs blues fights but what i really liked, as you said, was the no armor. it was great fighting everyone without worrying if you had the right armor. however I still have bad dreams of the vanq katana, one hit and your ass would be hurting for a heal. though it was nothing a little wrestling and a protect spell couldn't handle. 

Man, I really miss them days! Like how I would get called out for speed hacking just cause a group of noobs couldn't kill me. But what I hated the most was when UOA would mess up and you have to recreate all the micros lol.

• IsaneIsane Member UncommonPosts: 2,630

Oh It is so sad, and so true you really don't see the challenge of old. Lets hope someone has the guts and the finances to do the right thing and concentrate on depth/gameplay and community and forget the graphics.

I'll just steal one more black pearl.

• dinanm3atldinanm3atl Member Posts: 215
    sounds like you are weak sir!!!! rofl

I played 12 hours a weekday and over 18 a day on the weekends. I graduated high school with a 3.8 and then went to automotive school and now make very good money :) I did all of this while playing UO :)

Then it died and I quit...

waiting for something new, hell even a damn CLONE of pre crap hole UO would be good!

Old Skool Ultima Online Junky
    Bring back the OLD UO so I can play again

• dinanm3atldinanm3atl Member Posts: 215
    Originally posted by HadesPvP

yah i tried to come back and when i found out that you could get a 100% reg reduction suit i was like WTF?!?!?!?

I also managed to keep my girlfriend who is now my fiancee... Make sure you satisfy the woman before playing UO man... rofl The woman is far more entertaining..

Old Skool Ultima Online Junky
    Bring back the OLD UO so I can play again

• TrubadurenTrubaduren Member Posts: 575
    Originally posted by LowItalian

I played UO for 3 years.  That is ALL I wanted to do for 3 years.

Because of UO I dropped out of college, lost friends and a girlfriend.  This game was worse than crack.  Playing 5-10 hours a day.

Yet here I am after not playing since that one expansion pack which (thankfully) ruined the game.  Is this game still fun?  How many people stil play since the release UO:R?

The PvP was terrible after that last expansion, basically no risk in it anymore.  All the fun was gone, how is it now?
    Dude its not the game, its your personlaity.

You are easy addicted, which i find pathetic that you cant resist a computer game, come on for god sake.

Starwars Galaxies, An Empier Diveded, That's what it says on my box anyway.

• ElgarethElgareth Member Posts: 588

Because of UO I dropped out of college, lost friends and a girlfriend.  This game was worse than crack.  Playing 5-10 hours a day.

Not because of UO.

Because of you.

Sheesh, accept that YOU are responsible for your life.
  • RollotamasiRollotamasi Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 898
    Originally posted by Elgareth

Not because of UO.

Because of you.

Sheesh, accept that YOU are responsible for your life. Aye, YOU almost ruined your life, not UO.

-Currently looking forward to FFXIV

-Currently playing EvE and Global Agenda

• NiirnaethNiirnaeth Member Posts: 99
    Man, the OP was just using the "it ruined my life" to describe how amazing UO was when it was in its prime. Seriously, do you guys think all your posts about "you just need strength, its your fault, your an idiot, etc" are enlightening? All the man asked was what the game was like now. For the record the OP posted this on 2/24/07 5:36:35 PM so your June 10th responses are just a little late.
  • batman5000batman5000 Member Posts: 2
    Well no takers on a better game than UO...Im actually surprised after all the reviews of negativity.  The new add on should add some more solid game play.  By far the best MMO out there is Ultima Online...again I cant say much for SWG...I havent played it but I know UO is better than WoW and even hate to say it but better than Diablo 2 and Im Diablo fan.
  • LowItalianLowItalian Member Posts: 3

I somehow stumbled upon on this thread and read it through.  I have to say this is pretty freaking funny.

It sounds to me like many of you are in denial of your own addictions.  I could have simply asked, "what's the game like now, i quit years ago", but instead I was feeling a little nostalgic and gave a bit of my history with the game.

Unbelievable some of you people.   Thanks for the laugh!  

For the few of you who provided useful feedback, thanks for the info.

• xephonicsxephonics Member UncommonPosts: 672

It is odd that me and my wife had just the opposite effect with Anarchy Online.  Anarchy Online helped us get past our meth addiction.  We got so engrossed in the game it helped us get past the cravings.

And yes I am 100% serious.  Granted it was years ago (2002ish), but me and my wife can truly say a mmo saved our life.

My god has horns.... nah, I don't think he is real either.

• SundersGhostSundersGhost Member Posts: 224

Loved the game, back in the day.  Sorry to see it turned down the wrong path.  I guess some people have some bad memories of the game.  For me, I can say it was great, and was one of the stronger factors for leading me down my current career path which I love adamantly.

• SgtFrogSgtFrog Member Posts: 5,001

5-10 hours is not hardcore :P lol

well its not hardcore for an insomniac :p

March on! - Lets Invade Pekopon

• gorgukgorguk Member Posts: 165

Yeah i did nothing but play this game for about 2 years lol i mean nothing. id sleep for maybe 4 hours an play UO the other 20 hours haha. god uo ROCKED... never been addicted to a mmo like i was with uo since. but then they did the fel/tram crap an totaly screwed the game up. got more lame with each expantion after. i would totaly play again IF it was like a classic server.. everything pre tram/fel. but i really wouldent want to pay for it cept maybe with the station pass thing they got in the works. then i could play 2 of my all time fave games (uo, daoc) an the hopeful next fave (war).

• materva26materva26 Member Posts: 64
    Originally posted by nakuma

glad to see you recovered italian. good to hear you finished and got a good job. just be careful dude. you can enjoy a MMO and still hold a decent job, school and what not. Just gotta do "time managment" like anything else in life hhaha. put restraints on your time. there is no reason why you shouldnt be able to play a game,  like a MMO and not have time for Real life obligations, just dont OD lol. but I still must commend you for recovering.
    some people dont recover, to some degree from a psychological standpoint it does constitute as an addiction, just like drugs, MMO's or games can offer a "replacement" of something that is missing in your life, give you that rush you end up feeling you need on a daily basis, because nothing else gives you that "freedom or power" to do what you want that you can't in real life. It is only healthy for you to share others your problems so that perhaps they may learn from it and recognize where they stand on their own "problem", seems it is becoming more of a issue and being brought to light to the general public.
    I think people should know that its not a trivial problem, and can really affect your life dramatically. and I do apologize for being a bit too rough with my response. either way, glad your doing good and wish you the best of luck. just remember  you can enjoy a game and still have a responsible, socially fullfilling life, just manage your time. UO is pretty much dead as ive heard. I would recommend Taba Ralusa as well, or Huxley perhaps, or even Age of Conan as they seem to be the few MMO's that offer the ability to play a little or play alot and still get far.

just remember you get ouf life what you put in.

That big four year degree you got, sure as hell did not teach you writing or punctuation skills did it? How the hell did you pass your comp classes with that pathetic attempt of a paragraph you tried to make.

Say whatever you like about not needing it in what you do or whatever else, but it still makes you look like a dipshit.