Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

This game nearly ruined my life

Comments

• godmathiasgodmathias Member Posts: 12
    This game is still awesome. of course, you have to play on one of the free-player run shards.  Download UO Gateway and play on the shard UO Gamers Hybrid.  Its free, and it runs a UO-renaissance version of the game (before trammel, AOS, crap).  Lots of people play, good community and economy, excellent pvp.  They have implemented an amazing duel system.  Anybody out there who used to love this game before EA ruined it, play UO Gamers Hybrid.  I played this game basically from about 1998-2003 on and off about 3 years total.  Now i play again and theres no damn trammies!
  • daarcodaarco Member UncommonPosts: 4,275

Yay, now i feel even more sad that i missed it

I mean, i had real life friend playing UO in 1999 or so. I  found that out 6 monts ago

What if they would have told me, my whole life could have been changed into......um.......

• sempiternalsempiternal Member UncommonPosts: 1,082

Zenthias, as long as I'm involved in MMOGs, I will always have something to say about Ultima Online.

How could you not?

Ultima Online is a good study.  It was the first major (100k) MMOG and it went the full spectrum; from in the beginning, one of the most believeable and immersive MMOGs ever developed even today, to devolving into the current screwed up, outdated fantasy RPG video game it is today.  It went from a believeable medieval fantasy world into an online video game full of ninjas, knights, neon and nothing remarkable.   And along the way, they failed to sufficiently upgrade technology.

• yorkforceyorkforce Member UncommonPosts: 160
    Ive been waiting for UO2 for 10 years, i still dont understand why they wont make it it would be sucessful simply being called UO2.

I was a 1999-02 player aswell and while it didnt ruin my life i sure as hell devoted alot of time to it, it was just .. awesome.

Skill based, healthy and active economy (best economy ive ever seen in a MMORPG) and still they keep throwing out new MMORPGs that are just EQ clones, why wont anyone make more UO clones dammit!
  • ZenthiasZenthias Member Posts: 36
    Originally posted by sempiternal

Zenthias, as long as I'm involved in MMOGs, I will always have something to say about Ultima Online.
    How could you not?
    Ultima Online is a good study.  It was the first major (100k) MMOG and it went the full spectrum; from in the beginning, one of the most believeable and immersive MMOGs ever developed even today, to devolving into the current screwed up, outdated fantasy RPG video game it is today.  It went from a believeable medieval fantasy world into an online video game full of ninjas, knights, neon and nothing remarkable.   And along the way, they failed to sufficiently upgrade technology.

But honestly, we've heard enough of your hate posts. You hate UO carebear edition. WE GET IT.

I like the game 1000000 times better before it was changed, but in the state it is in right now its by far the best MMO ever. Quit discouraging people to play this game. Its fine if you have your own opinion, I have no problem with that. (you know the saying, opinions are like @ssholes, everyone has one)

I'm not a big history buff, but who's to say ninja's/knights didn't coexist? I mean if you have a problem with it being believeable then you should of had a problem with trolls/ogres/liches/ect.

I'm done. Dont even know why i bother.

Originally posted by Zenthias

I like the game 1000000 times better before it was changed, but in the state it is in right now its by far the best MMO ever.

I'm not a big history buff, but who's to say ninja's/knights didn't coexist? I mean if you have a problem with it being believeable then you should of had a problem with trolls/ogres/liches/ect.

Current UO still the best MMO ever?  What a poor impression you just made.

As for my use of "believeable," I see you don't get it.

And, Ninjas???  Ninjas are a joke!

...and so is UO.

Originally posted by sempiternal

Originally posted by Zenthias
    I like the game 1000000 times better before it was changed, but in the state it is in right now its by far the best MMO ever.

Current UO still the best MMO ever?  What a poor impression you just made.

As for my use of "believeable," I see you don't get it.

And, Ninjas???  Ninjas are a joke!

...and so is UO.

Alright, if UO isn't the best MMO out there right now tell me what is? Guild Wars, EQII, WoW, SWG??? Please..

I"m just taking a stab in the dark, but I bet you play Runescape..lol.

Your right, I don't get it. Please explain it to me. Why is it hard to believe that ninjas/samurais/knights didn't co-exist, when they actually did?!? You need to open your mind up man. If I've said it once, I've said it 100 times; with new lands comes new races/professions/monsters ect. Why is that so hard for you to believe?!

The game pre-tram was awesome. The game today is still awesome. Quit discouraging people. I'm sick of you being a tool, and flamming everything regarding UO. Go post somewhere else. People are here to ask questions and get legitimate answers. Did your mother ever tell you "if you dont have anything nice to say...."??

If you're not going to help people out then take a hike! damn

• TrellotTrellot Member Posts: 53
    Originally posted by zensaber

it's not his fault he got addicted, it's his poor genetic material bred that him with a weak mind

Huh?

• damian7damian7 Member Posts: 4,449
    Originally posted by nakuma

no offense dude, thats no ones fault but your own. If you can't learn time management on when to play and when to do your college home work for your major. then you have no one to blame but yourself. i truly hope your only kidding, if not, i have no sympathy for people who cant balance, budget their time for real life social obligations and playing a few hours whenever they want.
     I play MMO's and FPS's, and RTS games alot, but I still managed to get a 4 year degree, and do freelance and also work for a reputable company in midst of playing WOW, Eq2, whenever i so well choose. its all about balancing ones time and being responsible for ones actions bro, its obvious you didnt know how to do that. I hope this is a valuable lesson learned, learn from it!
    i hope that's your reply to anyone that's a drug addict, or an alcoholic; because it's all the same premise.

could we please get correspondent writers and moderators, on the eve forum at mmorpg.com, who are well-versed on eve-online and aren't just passersby pushing buttons? pretty please?

• ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
                           UO is plenty alive and with the new graphics (free download ) comin this summer .. It gets a fresh look .Do some lookin around plenty of screens of this available on the web.. Seems Mythic ,since stepping in is takin it in a good direction .. And for you old time UO folks play on Siege Perilous.

Siege is hardly better - it's been hit with all the Trammel expansions and most of the Trammel publishes.

It's nothing but an advanced carebearland now - hardly anything like classic UO.

The only good UO servers left are free, but free servers never hold the same appeal as comercial ones.

• ElminzterElminzter Member UncommonPosts: 283

is it still worse than crack

• Gr1ngoGr1ngo Member Posts: 29
  • grimmbotgrimmbot Member Posts: 302
    I don't get how so many people focused on the topic line of this thread and completely missed what the OP was asking.

I loved UO back in the day. I was a carebear -- I was one of those who loved Trammel. Then something strange happened to me.

Shadowbane.

It converted me into a bloodthirsty little bastard who wanted the chance to kill anyone I wanted. I never knew what I missed until I jumped in with both feet. Then I went back to UO, and I was disappointed a bit in what I thought I used to love.

Now I'm not into *any* MMO because nothing currently fits both my schedule (I'm in bed at 8pm EST) and my playstyle.

Part of me wants to jump back into UO and give it another shot -- but it feels like picking up the old action figures I had as a kid and playing with them now. I can see the appeal -- I just feel like I've outgrown it.

• MarkuMarku Member Posts: 452
    Generally mmorpgs are shite now, i may of been abit like the original poster a few years back but  ive managed to break away from the "addiction" to do other things, like walking my dog or reading books. i still play quite abit of RTS/FPS's when i get time, im in my 2nd year of uni which so far i think ive more or less gonna pass based on marks i received today  the only mmorpg i play now is Roma Victor, which i can keep going on and off with because theres no monthly fee. i might give age of conan a try though.

• ZitchZitch Member Posts: 129

Originally posted by grimmbot
    I don't get how so many people focused on the topic line of this thread and completely missed what the OP was asking.

I loved UO back in the day. I was a carebear -- I was one of those who loved Trammel. Then something strange happened to me.

Shadowbane.

It converted me into a bloodthirsty little bastard who wanted the chance to kill anyone I wanted. I never knew what I missed until I jumped in with both feet. Then I went back to UO, and I was disappointed a bit in what I thought I used to love.

Now I'm not into *any* MMO because nothing currently fits both my schedule (I'm in bed at 8pm EST) and my playstyle.

Part of me wants to jump back into UO and give it another shot -- but it feels like picking up the old action figures I had as a kid and playing with them now. I can see the appeal -- I just feel like I've outgrown it.

For me UO was'nt about being a bloodthirsty little bastard at all...
    Back in 97, it was all about survival on a slow dialup with an average cpu, and being completely new to the genre.

I was facinated and immersed by the real world properties that existed in UO. You could be killed and looted by both other players and NPC's. Other players could steal from you. You could make and sell things. You could own a horse, but had to feed it to keep it tame. Magic used regeants, and you could fail casting a spell losing both regeants and mana.
    The chracter development scheme was also immersive, real, natural...

It was this real world feeling that hooked you, and drew you into the game.

If you look at what other games (including UO) are missing now, why most fail to hold long term interest. You need only to look back at what UO was.

UO did not have much in the way of lore, nor did it have quests. Players were left to their own designs and played the game with real freedom. You could be good, bad, or indifferent; your choice.

For most of us it was more than enough entertainment and excitement. The player base kept you on your toes at all time with real disapointment at times, but also a real sence of accomplishment. You could have close calls that left you shaking at your keyboard, or worse... wishing you'd never logged on. As well as times when you could'nt think of any other game you'd ever play or want to.

UO was about extremes, both good and bad.

Players whined about the bad, but did'nt realise that without that, the good would never be "as good" because the bad gave you perspective. It made success more meaningful, and of course no one wants failure, so the game changed, watered down, diluted, nerfed, dull and boring...

That is why not only UO sucks, but also decsibes the trends and frustrations many players have about MMOg's today. Challenges and failure are designed in such a way to be less personal, to carry less weight, to keep you "in game" and having fun. It works in the short haul for most, but attrition due to player boredom is where it fails in the longhaul.

Aside from possibly Eve or another odd game, most MMOg's don't have legs, they won't "ruin your life". They just are'nt as fun as what UO was. At least not for me...

No more Trivial MMO's, let's get serious "again". Make a world, not a game
    What I listen to :)

• XeevisXeevis Member UncommonPosts: 9
    Hello guys,

everyone said his own opinion about this game in this topic. So if i may i would like too :D I started to play UO since 1998 and i'm still on. You can count me as one of these "Hardcore" players, because this game still rox and i love it ... not just because its part of my life due to such long time of playing ... but it have still something new to offer. Well Im not talking about OSI style (i hope u know what im talking about). There are around tons of player-made servers which offer lots and different stuff, sometimes pretty balanced and pretty funny or 95% customized.. If I get bored on one, ill move to another and so on. OSI style lost shine ... not an UO ... I started on OSI and i loved that. As author of this topic said it changed my life as well (i was just a child without any responsibility}. As far as i tested lots of MMO non of em get even closer to what UO can offer. So i can  honestly say its best MMO and game i ever played. I agree with every poster here ... Some said UO was great. And thats right ... They changed it ... But where will game be without changes and updates? You think if it stuck on shiny spot it will still shine? I don't think so.

If new players read it i can assure you this is game which deserve your look on it ... Try OSI try some different customized servers made by players and you wont be dissapointed and make your own opinion about it. I think this game cant be compared because it have its unique/original shape.

And i didn't meant to diminish OSI, but for me its pastness and i wanted to mention more ways of playing in UO.

Cya guys.
  • fansedefansede Member UncommonPosts: 960

Is this the game you are talking about? Ultima Online - Kingdom Reborn

or was it the older version?

If it was the above, disregard this post. If it isn't and you are addicted to UO, don't click the above link.

*waves his hand at the OP in Jedi like fashion* " You will not be influenced by MMOs anymore."

*waves hand again*

"You will live a normal life and be in control of your own destiny."

• FragmentorFragmentor Member Posts: 5

ya, i know what you mean, games like this can be a bit addictive.  I remember the first weekend I played I logged over 8 hrs in one sitting.  You just have to discipline your self to alot only so much time to it.

Cheers!

• killerwigkillerwig Member UncommonPosts: 236
    Originally posted by LowItalian

I wasn't asking for sympathy.  It wasn't entirely UO, but UO played a big part.  I would stay up till the sun came up like 3 nights a week at least.

Since quitting UO, I've finished school and gotten a decent job.  I avoid MMORPG's like the plauge now, because I couldn't manage my time.

I was just curious what the game is like now.  It used to be a great game, I wonder if it's on it's last leg, or if it's still thriving.

Hey Italian,

Totally understand. Those early days, before even the term MMORPG was coined by EQ, UO was the one of the most addictive creations I ever experienced. Terris came close, but when I moved over to UO, I was totally hooked. At the time I had absolutely no commitments, so I sunk every single waking hour into this game - often falling asleep at the keyboard after a 36 hour stretch, waking up... and then carrying on. And you know what professions I chose? - Miner / Blacksmith - yes, I spent all that time clicking on rocks, trying to find veins of rare ore, avoiding the PKs that plagued Felucca, buying replacement pack Llamas (for the ones that got killed),  and standing around the forge with the other gibbering addict Blacksmiths who seemed to be online as much as me - just chatting away and RPing like mad people.

That was until I rolled a macer and decided to get revenge on all the PKs who harrassed me.

If you were a gamer back then, and picked up this game, then you would know true addiction in all of its terrible glory. No other MMO has been as good, because it came after this one. EQ was pretty close, but didn't quite turn me into a drooling zombie like UO very nearly did. I still miss those days (rose coloured glasses and all), but back then it was all so new and fresh - so i doubt I'll ever get them back with any new game.

If EA releasd a pre-trammel server with the classic game running, I'd probably play it again just to re-ignite those memories. And I bet all the old vets would follow too. But progress is progress... I feel it's wrong in the case of UO, but EA will have it their way I guess.

Elves in UO?... ninjas? wtf??

It is so hard to believe isn't it?

Elves that's f'n crazy. A new land was discovered, it would be crazy for a new race to be there. Or new professions for that matter.

It's crazy to have a world with ninjas, mages, necromancers and palidins. Just fu@kin crazy.

• VegsterVegster Member Posts: 20
    I believe the idea behind games is to take you out of reality, and this game has sure done it for me over the last few years

• LordcrapalotLordcrapalot Member Posts: 191

If you get hooked on something its your fault, and your fault alone. Show some strenght.

Everything done can be undone. So if you got hooked on UO years ago you should have done something to get out of it, instead of just allowing yourself to fall in deeper. 

Dont expect any sympathy from me.

"I cherish the memories of a question my grandson asked me the other day when he said..Grandpa, were you a hero in the war?...No, but i served in a company of heroes"
    Sgt. Mike Ranney E-company 506PIR 101'st airborn

• defenestratedefenestrate Member CommonPosts: 578
    Originally posted by LowItalian

I played UO for 3 years.  That is ALL I wanted to do for 3 years.

Because of UO I dropped out of college, lost friends and a girlfriend.  This game was worse than crack.  Playing 5-10 hours a day.

Owned!
  • herculeshercules Member UncommonPosts: 4,924

actually i was in university when i started playing UO and really did nothing to me because really you could get so much done in 2-3 hrs .

IMHO people who played 12 hrs a day back then eventually in a couple of months had little to do but become those guys we always saw hanging out brit bank chatting and spamming wears from dusk to dawn.

The current genre of mmorpg is however a true time consumer.

bring back UO in its original form i say