Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

EVE is now offically an RMT game, buy your isk with $$$! CCP approve of it, and even made you a tool

mrmelonimrmeloni Member UncommonPosts: 236

It's been over a year now since CCP began allowing people to sell eve game time codes to people ingame for isk. What this means is people can go out and spend £22 on a 3 month game time code, and then sell it to another player ingame for hundreds of millions of isk.

Just a few days ago CCP created a tool that allows players to do this without risk. Now you can offically buy timecodes ingame from other players for isk without the risk of being scammed. Timecodes for isk is here to stay people, EVE as an RMT game is here to stay.

And all this after ebay banned virtual property listings.

So, if you are thinking about starting up with EVE, but don't like the thought of other players buying their way ahead with their real life wallet, then don't even come near EVE, the entire game is RMT, it reminds me of those korean mmorpgs and their item malls.

EVE is 100% based around pvp but when your opponent may have beaten you because he had more money to spend in real life on ingame abilities and items then you really should feel cheated. Of course you'll never know if you were cheated or not, and that's the saddest thing about it.

Buying ingame money with real money is cheating, pure and simple. It's like playing a monopoly game with a bunch of poor people whilst you yourself are very wealthy. Even if the poor people start to beat you, no matter, you'll just offer them an amount of real cash that they can't refuse and buy all their hotels and a good bundle of monopoly money for your own pocket too!

Also the EVE GM steam sticks of corruption, i petitioned a bunch of very well known isk sellers, i mean, who else can play 20 hours a day farming billions and doing nothing but that? Where do you think all this isk goes? The GM told me he would look into it, but 1 minute later he closed my petition. Don't trust the EVE GMs, or the devs, i wouldn't trust them further than i can throw them, and with good reason.

Comments

• kano71kano71 Member Posts: 207
    Originally posted by mrmeloni

It's been over a year now since CCP began allowing people to sell eve game time codes to people ingame for isk. What this means is people can go out and spend £22 on a 3 month game time code, and then sell it to another player ingame for hundreds of millions of isk.
    Just a few days ago CCP created a tool that allows players to do this without risk. Now you can offically buy timecodes ingame from other players for isk without the risk of being scammed. Timecodes for isk is here to stay people, EVE as an RMT game is here to stay.
    So, if you are thinking about starting up with EVE, but don't like the thought of other players buying their way ahead with their real life wallet, then don't even come near EVE, the entire game is RMT, it reminds me of those korean mmorpgs and their item malls.
    EVE is 100% based around pvp but when your opponent may have beaten you because he had more money to spend in real life on ingame abilities and items then you really should feel cheated. Of course you'll never know if you were cheated or not, and that's the saddest thing about it.
    Buying ingame money with real money is cheating, pure and simple. It's like playing a monopoly game with a bunch of poor people whilst you yourself are very wealthy. Even if the poor people start to beat you, no matter, you'll just offer them an amount of real cash that they can't refuse and buy all their hotels and a good bundle of monopoly money for your own pocket too!
    Also the EVE GM steam sticks of corruption, i petitioned a bunch of very well known isk sellers, i mean, who else can play 20 hours a day farming billions and doing nothing but that? Where do you think all this isk goes? The GM told me he would look into it, but 1 minute later he closed my petition. Don't trust the EVE GMs, or the devs, i wouldn't trust them further than i can throw them, and with good reason.
    You can buy ingame money with real money in any game no company will stop that  period. just go check ige thers plenty from every mmo being played atm. As for someone wanting to buy a game card with there ingame isk good for them i give em a pat on the back for being able to grind out isk ingame. Don't bother me  I myself don't think it's worth the time. I'de rather just pay the mothly fee. So what you have pointed is nothing new. I guess soe is corrupt for running the station exchange where you can buy in sell characters and ingame money all under The SOE banner and they probably nice some nice bank outta it.
  • mrmelonimrmeloni Member UncommonPosts: 236
    Originally posted by kano71

You can buy ingame money with real money in any game no company will stop that  period. just go check ige thers plenty from every mmo being played atm. As for someone wanting to buy a game card with there ingame isk good for them i give em a pat on the back for being able to grind out isk ingame. Don't bother me  I myself don't think it's worth the time. I'de rather just pay the mothly fee. So what you have pointed is nothing new. I guess soe is corrupt for running the station exchange where you can buy in sell characters and ingame money all under The SOE banner and they probably nice some nice bank outta it.

Except everyone who plays on the SOE server knows that's what it's about before they sign up to play. CCP don't exactly make it stand out and most players won't discover it until long after they've grown addicted to EVE.

Originally posted by kano71

Except everyone who plays on the SOE server knows that's what it's about before they sign up to play. CCP don't exactly make it stand out and most players won't discover it until long after they've grown addicted to EVE.

You don't think SOE will expand  this program as they see the potential for more and more  money? outta my 2+ years in eve  I can say for sure  That  game cards and  poeple buying ingame  money have  had  no effect what so ever on my gameplay and nor does it bother me. I play to have  fun and  don't worry If thers someone out there that wants to spend cash or ingame money to buy a service or product. The only thing I don't support is botting and  most all mmo's do not support that either. Ohh and really the game card thing prolly a good idea for poeple that cannot afford to dump cash to play even though there time be better spent getting a job
  • acheroncycacheroncyc Member Posts: 15

I lol'd.

Have you played EvE at all?. I doubt it, seeing your ridiculous claims and lack of knowledge.

First, you would know that as a new player, money won't give you an edge of any kind, except the posibility of replacing your ships faster. Seeing that everything revolves in skills and skillpoints. Sure, you have lots of money and then you buy the nicestes piece of equiment you could buy, but what would be the point if you don't have the skills for it?.

And when a petition is closed, its because there is nothing else to say to you, it doesn't mean they are no longer investigating.

Get a hold of yourself, since you more like someone that got his ass handed in a silver plate. What system are you in, I'm willing to hunt you down.
  • LordSlaterLordSlater Member Posts: 2,087
    Err this is old old news and not exactly a problem

• iCehiCeh Member UncommonPosts: 884
    It's been like this for a long time now, since the day they said it was ok to do so, you couldn't get scammed and would be reimbursed if you were.

/pat Try to keep up.

-iCeh

• NicoliNicoli Member Posts: 1,312
    in the end money does not equal win. The best and the brightest T2/faction OMGWTFBBQDOOOOMMM!!!! ship still gets obliterated when it jumps into a hostile gate camp and is completely - Nosed, webbed, scrammed, jammed, painted, disrupted, and anything else I may have missed.
    I still can't see how someone buying a gamecard  for isk has any impact on the ops  gameplay. And  went to the ratings and posted the same meaningless crap, I kinda doubt the he or she even has played eve for more then a trial
  • w175jabw175jab Member Posts: 239
    Old news...

Just because it's offered doesn't mean you have to buy it...
  • darkfish0darkfish0 Member Posts: 65
    Simply, i would rather CCP got any money spent on buying isk than some random Chinese farmer. By giving people a way to buy isk legally and within the rules they are also reducing their petition load etc.

EDIT: Also your whole post is total BS. Doesn't describe EVE in any way.

--------------------
    Member of Coreli corp.
    We have the boosters you crave!

• ulberonulberon Member Posts: 198
    It doesn't matter, even if you can buy a Dread you can't fly a Dread.  The game is poorly designed in that it takes everyone the exact same amount of time to reach a certain level in the game, regardless of skill or ability.

• NevarionNevarion Member Posts: 274
    Originally posted by ulberon

It doesn't matter, even if you can buy a Dread you can't fly a Dread.  The game is poorly designed in that it takes everyone the exact same amount of time to reach a certain level in the game, regardless of skill or ability.
    I tend to disagree. A well thought through skill plan beats the random pick. Implants do help as well and if not for twinking, you won't see +5 so fast. Furthermore the Learning skill branch can be utilized or not. Specialize yourself on certain roles and ships and it'll go faster or slower again.

I think the system is quite refreshing from the usual grind. If you don't put in some thought, you'll end up with disadvantages.

Even then due to optimization, the different interests in occupation and roles cater more diversion.

Also recently to make the whole gametimecode selling easier and unscammable they now have introduced an account system where you can transfer a gametimecode to aomeone via eve mail in order to get it the customer has to accept the eve-mail offer and pay up then he gets the code and you get the isk. If however he doesant accept it within 48 hours it gets cancelled and the gametime code is returned to you.

Also if the code is invalid the eve-mail wont even be sent as it checks yuor code for whether its valid or not.

So overall its a pretty safe system and all the proceeds go to ccp rather than some lame gold farmer

• MoghidinMoghidin Member UncommonPosts: 96
    We are living in a beautiful world where money can buy everything in life. Sometimes I think that more ppl in this world admire money than they admire courage, dignity and honesty, which look so outdated values in our time. Are you really surprised then that ppl will spend their "surplus" money to cheat in a video game? It doesn't matter how you look at it, acquiring in-game money by out-of-game means is cheating.  It's that CCP decided to profit from that cheating and legalized it.
  • phenoix63phenoix63 Member Posts: 23
    Originally posted by Moghidin

We are living in a beautiful world where money can buy everything in life. Sometimes I think that more ppl in this world admire money than they admire courage, dignity and honesty, which look so outdated values in our time. Are you really surprised then that ppl will spend their "surplus" money to cheat in a video game? It doesn't matter how you look at it, acquiring in-game money by out-of-game means is cheating.  It's that CCP decided to profit from that cheating and legalized it.
    This is ridiculous what you are saying. "Courage, dignity and honesty", are you serious? When did courage have to do anything with this, or dignity or honesty? Besides it isn't cheating buying Money on games, it's a way of economy in MMOs today and it has been around since the first big MMO. Get a grip man, CCP first of all, isn't getting profit from it at all.

If they did get profit, they were damn smart, look at WoW, you know how much money they are wasting by fighting a useless fight, and i'm not flaming WoW, just mentioning Blizzard because they are trying to stop it. It's impossible. Allways will be. It has become a part of the game, and money has never, ever been the defining balance on a game, it just makes a game funner. It's nice to once and awhile be able to say, "Hey look, i'm really don't want to farm... I'll just go buy some gold and have some instant-satisfaction".

Why are you trying to be a philosopher in the MMO world? I'm suprised no one has seriously flamed you yet, because if you haven't noticed people in MMOs don't care what you have to say, people will buy gold, even the best of players, you may see it as cheating, but others don't.

Just because CCP is smart enough not to fight a useless fight, and making a good business move doesn't mean anything. If you want a game where no one buys gold just go play games like Eudemons Online, Astonia 3, or some less known game.

By the way, cheating in MMOs are considered using Third Party Programs, such as Hacks, Bots, Dupes, and so forth,  giving you a unfair advantage. Buying gold doesn't give them a unfair unadvantage, and just because you can't kill someone on a game don't blame it on them buying gold, because even if they did, they had to play the game and understand how to play it first.

Finally, why even mention Game Time Cards? Who cares. You can buy them from them, even in stores nowadays, who cares if online stores are selling them.

"Peace is in the eye of the beholder"

• MoghidinMoghidin Member UncommonPosts: 96
    "Courage, dignity and honesty" were a general remark, not related to MMORPGs. I'm just saying that if money is what our world is spinning around, than you have to be naive to assume that on-line games will not be influenced by that. It is indeed a lost fight to fight RMT, it doesn't mean that it's a good thing though. Many things you can't extinguish, yet they are considered bad and unwanted. I don't want to go too much into RL direction, but, for example, crime will never be extinguished, yet you can't say that it's a good thing. I'm just saying that RMT is unavoidable evil, but it is cheating, not as extreme as hacking, but still cheating. If you think that it doesn't give anyone any advantage in game, just think again. If it brings more fun, then why in the 1-st place ppl with more RL money should have more fun in the virtual MMORPG world, if everyone pays the very same subscription fee? It hurts you much more in Eve, because you have to really work for what you have in that game, and you also can lose it all in a second. If you have to grind for a month for something and you lose it, you lost 1 month of hard work, and you have to spend another month to bring it back. On the contrary, you opponent just reaches for his/her credit card and is ready again in 1 days time. If you think it's fair and it doesn't influence you, you are wrong. You can say that fairness doesn't exist and you're right, but I think that on-line games are supposed to be fairer than the surrounding world, by providing an equal level playground. Now, it only leads to some ppl flexing their RL money muscle.

One of the reasons I quit the game was because it became an endless grind with rare spells of fun. And although I could afford to by GTCs here and there, I consider the idea of spending my RL work time to get in-game money plain wrong.
  • iCehiCeh Member UncommonPosts: 884

One of the reasons I quit the game was because it became an endless grind with rare spells of fun. And although I could afford to by GTCs here and there, I consider the idea of spending my RL work time to get in-game money plain wrong.
    ...or you could look at it the other way around, and play the game for free by using in-game money. I'm going through a tough time at the moment, and someone buying a GTC for me in exchange for a couple of hundred ISK is awesome.

Not everyone can afford to buy ISK (or think it's not right, or sad), if that were so, no-one would be buying them. There's still lots of people who earn ISK by "grinding"... funny how you quit due to grinding though.

-iCeh

• derf26derf26 Member Posts: 123

1) This is old news.

2) The GTC for ISK plan allows people to buy isk but not sell it, which means people can't farm for days and sell the ISK for tons of RL money, and if they do it's illegal and there were tons of cases of bans.

3) GMs get thousands of ISK seller warnings every day. When they close your petition it doesn't mean that they aren't doing anything. It means they added that website or character to their watch lists and are now monitoring their accounts.

4) I have personally spent the last year or more solely paying for my subscription using ISK. Due to RL money problems I can't afford to pay in real money, and after three years in the game money has become relatively easy for me.

5) No alliance or large corporation ever depends on GTC sales for their war campaigns, outposts, capital ship fleets, etc. Hence, since they are the major players and they do not use this system, gameplay is not widely affected, if at all.

6) Any individual who uses this scheme as a means to get rich in ISK quickly, will likely get some expensive pimped out ship, risk it in dangerous space, and die within a very short time to a larger number of foes/bigger ship. This is because they do not have a sense of earning the ISK and hence do not attach proper value to it. All this means is that they lose it very fast, and cannot sustain any serious PvP gameplay through this scheme for long.

I hope you read these six points I made and that they answer your issues, explaining why what you have outlined is not a problem, but actually a major advantage to those of us who cannot afford to pay for regular MMORPGs. This is why in the last year of all the MMORPGs I have played, I can count only Eve, and F2P mmos, of which the latter never lasted more than a couple of days.

• lowradslowrads Member UncommonPosts: 200
    Unfortunately, I believe this is true. 

Reading one of the latest devblogs, it would appear that they will begin selling isk directly from their website soon.

CCP is no longer focused on the community.  It is only another internet distraction to which you may opt to subscribe.  It is still a pretty good distraction, but I will not call it anything more.
  • phenoix63phenoix63 Member Posts: 23

This is a personal choice, don't rant that it is cheating because you just don't want to. And people don't occasionally commit crimes to have fun, so it can't corrilate.

Look, people who buy ISK, or sell ISK, who cares? Really. The one guy said it best, it isn't the money that defines how good someone is, it's the person who plays the game. If a newbie to the game goes and buys a account, 200,000,000 ISK, and starts playing, you think he'll be able to beat someone whose been playing the game for a year, even if that guy never ever bought gold? No, he wouldn't because the player who has played the game understands the game mechanics, and will allways understand the game better.

This isn't cheating, either way whether new to the game, or a player since beta, money isn't what defines the difference between games. Skill is.

I heard someone say from what the devlogs say, they're going to start selling gold. First of all, even if they did mention it, devlogs are called devlogs for a reason. Because they are in development, doesn't mean it is ever going to happen. Second of all, it's not going to happen, don't make a judgement on the game when it hasn't even happened yet. I'll be like Moghidin and use a real life example; That's like killing someone just because they may have sounded like they might have possibly thought about killing someone. That's just plain stupid.

Buying gold isn't cheating, and devlogs are called devlogs for a reason.

"Peace is in the eye of the beholder"

• niteflynitefly Member Posts: 340

I don't think this topic really belongs in the EvE forum. I am not a huge fan of EvE personally, but I don't think this has anything to do with EvE specifically but more with MMOs generally.

If anything I actually think that this is a better solution than the WoW Gold Farmer website solution. I would enjoy it more if people who payed to get a headstart, would also contribute to the developer's profit. That way the money would actually be channelled back in a way that would encourage the Developers to keep developing the game.

Basically put:

Set up a service in any MMO that allows you to buy "money" for a set amount of real life currency.

Set up a service in any MMO that allows you to buy any skill level, any talent, any level, any rank, any item you would like for real life currency.

And make it relatively cheap.

I currently play Vanguard and City of Heroes and I really couldn't care less if somebody bought a headstart. On the upside it would mean that new players could easily be boosted into the accomplishment-range of their friends without a lot of senseless personal grind/wait.

Let's face it: Who plays for a personal sense of "I'm teh roxxorz" and who plays to have fun in a social environment? No matter the game, it was never the next ship, item, quest, level or whatever that made me stay. It was always the community.

• desnowdesnow Member Posts: 390

This isn't exactly RMT as traditionally defined. Unlike many other games having an excess of Isk does not give you a direct advantage to everyone else. Without the skills to reinforce a ship setup you are just risking it all while getting poor performance out of it. Even if you buy implants to accelerate your training the benefit is not instantaneous and you still risk losing them if you are at war or enter low-sec. You can't become a "potion chugging hippy" as my guild used to call it as you can in other games giving your on hand cash a direct advantage.

It does however keep players playing through the unavoidable slump every MMO player feels at some point. We all get bored of a game after a while, but if we have excess Isk and are not doing much while the corp is on holidays or somemthing we can trade that Isk for game time. Now we don't feel silly for playing other games for a bit and paying for EvE still. It is a rather good way of keeping a stable playerbase and CCP is making the same amount of money per account anyway.

• TulisinTulisin Member Posts: 47

The danger of RMT has very little to do with the economy, the big detriments are:

1. Resources being taken up for the express purpose of real-life moneymaking, in EVE it'd be mining belts/complexes (complexes in particular are extremely limited resources).

2. Ruins the "work ethic" of actually putting in time to an MMORPG to get where you want to go.

That being said, EVE's timecard<->ISK program is extremely effective at stemming RMT in EVE. It is one of the best programs I've seen in terms of combating the problem, and is pretty much beneficial to everyone. Person who wants to be self-sufficient and buy their time with ISK is happy, CCP is happy (they're the only ones that can create timecodes in the first place), the seller is happy (they've been able to gain some ISK). Worst case scenario what the program does is create a standarized exchange rate, usually too low to make it worth the RMT effort.

• damian7damian7 Member Posts: 4,449
    Originally posted by acheroncyc

I lol'd.

Have you played EvE at all?. I doubt it, seeing your ridiculous claims and lack of knowledge.

First, you would know that as a new player, money won't give you an edge of any kind, except the posibility of replacing your ships faster. Seeing that everything revolves in skills and skillpoints. Sure, you have lots of money and then you buy the nicestes piece of equiment you could buy, but what would be the point if you don't have the skills for it?.

And when a petition is closed, its because there is nothing else to say to you, it doesn't mean they are no longer investigating.

Get a hold of yourself, since you more like someone that got his ass handed in a silver plate. What system are you in, I'm willing to hunt you down.

so, as a new player i can't purchase a 20m sp toon to put on my account with iskies?  

could we please get correspondent writers and moderators, on the eve forum at mmorpg.com, who are well-versed on eve-online and aren't just passersby pushing buttons? pretty please?

Originally posted by damian7

so, as a new player i can't purchase a 20m sp toon to put on my account with iskies?  

So you get your 20mil sp toon and buy yourself a nice faction fitted battleship to ahve some fun worth say 3 billion isk. Then a 10 million sp toon comes by in his Drake fitted with tech one stuff worth about 60 million isk and he kills your ship easilly. Thats what would ahppen to you if you brought sucha toon with tons of isk.

Why because he had more experience than you who just brought your way into eve and ahve the experience of a noob. Its that simple really. The only advantage yuo would get is the starting skills were more extensive.