Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Antonica vs The Commonlands

MMORPDEATHMMORPDEATH Member Posts: 414
Which do you like more and why(better quests, areas, scenery, mobs, dungeons etc)? You can answer even if you've only played one of em, just say why nothing could possibly be better than your side. And dont say "its all up you personal taste," I want you know what YOU think.

Extremism in the defense of Liberty is no vice.

Comments

• FlemFlem Member UncommonPosts: 2,870

Frankly both areas are a bit bland.  I couldnt wait to move on from them. 

Quests - i like the progressive quests, but these feature in both areas so theres no favorite there. 

Dungeons - i liked Stormhold over Fallen Gate so theres one for Antonica.

Mobs - Antonica = boring old deer and bears.  Commonlands at least had Rhino's and Elephants to butcher.  So im giving that one to Commonlands.

Scenery - Commonlands is far too brown, Antonica looks a little more alive so im going with Ant on that one.

Overall based on the above, although im not a fan of both areas, i would give Antonica the edge.

• GeekyGeeky Member UncommonPosts: 446
    I started in Qeynos, so my 1st impression was of Ant.  So it was and always has been my favorite.
  • AmatalAmatal Member UncommonPosts: 184
    Those must be the two suckiest areas in the game. They are just too big and too generic looking. And yes, bland is the right word to describe them.
    They are also the two areas in the game in wich tiling seems most obvious and terrible to look from a distance (especially antonica).
    If I had to chose, i guess i would pick the commonlands, at least they attempt to be a bit exotic while the rolling green hills of antonica just make me sleepy by looking at them...
    I do prefer Greater Faydark over those two- much nicer art direction and the entire region is easily accesible from the main quest/rest hub- Kelethin.
  • WantsumBierWantsumBier Member Posts: 1,079
    I got tired of both kinda quick, but I did start another evil toon so I guess I like the Commonlands a little better.  I have to agree about Feydark, with all of the oversized roots, trees and such.  they just need an evil side overthere.

I shoot for the curve... anything above that is gravy.

• MMORPDEATHMMORPDEATH Member Posts: 414
    ok, new question. Thundering Steppes vs Nektulos forest and why?

• joelybjoelyb Member Posts: 10
    Well so far I'm going with Nek forest just because I keep ending up back there. I absolutley hate patchwork men with a passion though.  As far as groups go I like T.S. better. (so far)
  • FlemFlem Member UncommonPosts: 2,870
    Originally posted by MMORPDEATH

ok, new question. Thundering Steppes vs Nektulos forest and why?
    I would probably go with Nek Forest on this one.  TS is uninspiring to me, too bland, nor a lot of color.  Nek was more vibrant and of course hosts one of the best zones in the game..Nek Castle.
  • RiotgirlRiotgirl Member UncommonPosts: 520

Originally posted by Amatal
    Those must be the two suckiest areas in the game. They are just too big and too generic looking. And yes, bland is the right word to describe them.

Amatal's qualification ["bland"] is my sentiment exactly. As a Freeportian, I am not completely au fait with Antonica as apart from running around Windstalker village, I haven't seen much of the zone save from a distance [teleportation spire].

At first glance, Antonica is appears much better looking that the Commondlands, because it has what appears more interesting features: as you emerge from the teleportation spires, you look down on a town, with an aqueduct and a water wheel (absolutely staggering when played on extreme setting). In the extreme distance, is a mysterious tower.

The Commondlands are monotonous, with little redeeming feature of character save old remnants of walls and over structures, e.g watch-towers, decaying huts, etc. It has two saving graces: dawn and dusk are absolutely beautiful, with vanilla skies; and travelling via Griffon from Freeport Station to Nektulos Station or Hidden Canyon is stunning. Or would be, if the landscape was remotely interesting.

There are some nice touches to the Commonlands, such as various animals drinking from the rivers, or walking through some of the groves and being surrounded by butterflies, or wisps, with mirth deers looking up at you as you walk past.

I would say that a criticism that one could level at EQ2 is that it lacks the character and charm of EQ1. The old world [pre-expansions] zones are big, bland and lack character; that little bit of individuality. I really miss the criters from East Commonlands in EQ1.

Both Antonica and Commondlands have a purpose as lowbie zones, with dungeons [Blackburrow and Wailing Caves, respectively], not to mention quests and act as connector zones. If you really wish to see a majestic, draw dropping zone "with wonders to satiate desires both subtle and gross" (blatantly stolen from 'Q' from ST:NG), then use the teleportation spires to visit Tenebrous Tangle. My character may be in her 14th season, so I cannot explore the zone, but just walking around the area by the spires, looking over the island edge, or the verdant scenery, filled with exotic sights and sounds is simply spell-binding. One can easily stand and stare with one's jaw opening for 5 minutes in simple, quiet awe.

Regards,
    Riotgirl

"If you think I'm plucky and scrappy and all I need is love, you're in way over your head. I don't have a heart of gold or get nice. There are a lot nicer people coming up. We call them losers."

• MMORPDEATHMMORPDEATH Member Posts: 414
    so which zone between the two do you thing is more fun to lvl in I.E. has the better dungeons etc...

• Veiled_lightVeiled_light Member UncommonPosts: 855

All the old games zones are boring and bland to me, the only good areas in the game are the expansions which changed their art style. EOF for example looks more like WOW, which is great but i wish they cudda done it from the start. I also find the character models boring and bland...

1. Remodel characters

2. remodel the old game

• RiotgirlRiotgirl Member UncommonPosts: 520

Originally posted by MMORPDEATH
    so which zone between the two do you thing is more fun to lvl in I.E. has the better dungeons etc...

As stated previously, I've only been to Antonica a couple of times, and have only partially explored on one occasion. Hence, I cannot accurately nor fairly comment either on levelling nor dungeons.

I'm on sabbatical for a month due to work, end of financial year and exams. So will probably be in a position to comment around end of April.

Most players would say that it is so easy to burn through T2 [tier 2], that most players do not get the opportunity to explore both. Personally, I level locked at level 10 and only level through quest exp.

Regards,
    Riotgirl

"If you think I'm plucky and scrappy and all I need is love, you're in way over your head. I don't have a heart of gold or get nice. There are a lot nicer people coming up. We call them losers."

• yaser101yaser101 Member Posts: 29
    I used to think Antonica is bad until I tried the Commonlands. The quest progression relative to leveling in Ant is far better and smoother than it is in the Commonlands. Seems that every quest I get in the Commonlands is level 15. I seem to always end up preferring to simply grind monsters for xp to get out of there as soon as I can.