Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

No pre-cu rollback BUT what about that CURB??!

iskareotiskareot Member Posts: 2,143

I was in the beta of that...  I liked that... it was like Pre-CU but not... it had the old UI and was just a bit different..

I actually have some screen shots of it somewhere too...

What ever happend to that version???  I never did hear or find out the true story on that one.. if anyone knows post it please.

It's one of those things I never did find out what the deal was on it.....  all of a sudden we went from the CURB to the CU in beta of it... they actually switched it on us that were in beta of the CURB on the fly... I never knew why or can't remember.

Comments

• PreCUPreCU Member Posts: 382

I would think WoW was what kicked the CURB to the curb.

anyway, you happen to capture any packets during testing? ;)

• Aikes1Aikes1 Member Posts: 292

I hated the curb. It was too simplistic, too flashy, too laggy, and a lot of things were removed from the game. The curb is what started the mass exodus. After it went to test centers I had about 60 guid members end their accounts. Hell, the CURB was the CU ... the first of several patch conversions to the end result of a lost world.

Quite a few web sites sprang up directly because of the CURB like SWGpetition.com (no longer active) and http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/SAVE_SWG_CURB/

The CURB? Not for me. Give me Pre-CU or to hell with it all.

"SWG was a world, now it's just a game" -adamrk-

"When the game was good, you didn't have to ask where the population was, because it was everywhere. When the game was good you didn't have to ask which server had population, because they all did. When the game was good you didn't have to beg friends to give it a try, because they were already playing. " - Salty Pete

• War_DancerWar_Dancer Member Posts: 941
    He means the one that never made it to live, that built on the PreCU. Not the CU

and yes that would be better then the CU and probably better then the PreCU but still if it involved paying SoE money then no, I wouldn't play it.
    Originally posted by War_Dancer

He means the one that never made it to live, that built on the PreCU. Not the CU

and yes that would be better then the CU and probably better then the PreCU but still if it involved paying SoE money then no, I wouldn't play it.
    So he isn't talking about the CURB that was on test center just prior to going live? I did not know there was something prior.... my vote is for Pre-CU regardless. Pre-patch 9 would be my most desired but any Pre-CU version would be nice.

"When the game was good, you didn't have to ask where the population was, because it was everywhere. When the game was good you didn't have to ask which server had population, because they all did. When the game was good you didn't have to beg friends to give it a try, because they were already playing. " - Salty Pete

• Ransom73Ransom73 Member Posts: 227

The famed Combat Balance / Revamp never made it to beta.  No player ever played it.  The Combat Balance / Revamp was scrapped about the same time that SOETyrant / Gordon Walton left SOE.  Some development based upon the documentation was achieved, but it was never ever seen by anyone but the developers eyes.  There were some people that were flown to Austin that saw the profession trees on paper, but they NEVER saw any gameplay.

The Combat Balance / Revamp was scrapped in favor of the Combat Upgrade.

WoW was launched 4 months prior to the release of the CU. After WoW was launched and was an extreme success in a short time the CURB was scrapped for the CU. The CU basically made the game more like WoW, and even copied many of WoW's features. So barring unimaginable coincidence, WoW was the main influence behind shelving CURB in favor of the CU.

I'm pretty sure a bunch of the correspondents tested the CURB. I can remember at least one of them talking about it and mentioning the NDA that prevented them from giving any detail.

• iskareotiskareot Member Posts: 2,143
    Originally posted by Ransom73

The famed Combat Balance / Revamp never made it to beta.  No player ever played it.  The Combat Balance / Revamp was scrapped about the same time that SOETyrant / Gordon Walton left SOE.  Some development based upon the documentation was achieved, but it was never ever seen by anyone but the developers eyes.  There were some people that were flown to Austin that saw the profession trees on paper, but they NEVER saw any gameplay.

Wrong it did make it to a beta form I think.    In fact I think I have shots of it... and or it was pre-CU --  CU in the works shots.. In fact I think I dare say some Jedi got to try it.   

Some did and did not even know it... they thought they were testing somthing else.

Not sure if the version was somthing we saw as a interm of it.   In fact I remember somthing being like the CU except the first thing you notice is that it's the same old UI if I recall.      I will have to look that up and find them.

I remember the CU being two different looking versions too actually.... not sure if that was just progess on it though.

Been a while..

• iskareotiskareot Member Posts: 2,143
    Originally posted by PreCU

WoW was launched 4 months prior to the release of the CU. After WoW was launched and was an extreme success in a short time the CURB was scrapped for the CU. The CU basically made the game more like WoW, and even copied many of WoW's features. So barring unimaginable coincidence, WoW was the main influence behind shelving CURB in favor of the CU.
    I'm pretty sure a bunch of the correspondents tested the CURB. I can remember at least one of them talking about it and mentioning the NDA that prevented them from giving any detail.

Yeah, like I said... without screw it up.. I want to say this was in beta form and I did see it... like I said... I remember plaing somthing in a beta form that was like the CU kinda... (Not exactly) BUT the first thing you notice is that the UI was the old one and nothing really changed on it.

I will look it up when I get home... I actually think that is about right and it was only in beta for some people about 2 weeks tops.   It was around the time that they made pub 10 for Jedi too -- or 9 --- I was in all the Jedi testing (dont matter to say some of this now).. I have screen shots of some of that testing and how it looked.  

Yep... now I remember I think this is why some of us old Jedi saw this.... I just can't remember what it looked like exactly...

I don't remember this well though, like I said it was NOT the CU we got instead.... in fact the CURB would have worked our and been fine.    I just don't remember... I have so many screen shots who knows...

• FikusOfAhaziFikusOfAhazi Member Posts: 1,835
    I remember a guy on ahazi used to tell us the notes about it. According to him he played it as well. Not gonna give his name cause he was under NDA. Not like it matters now..just dont feel comfortable giving it out. He quit because of CU, yet he talked up the CURB like it was everything we wanted. I've asked this before, but never gotten a response but, wasnt that what Gordan W. was in charge of when he suddenly left?

See you in the dream..
    The Fires from heaven, now as cold as ice. A rapid ascension tolls a heavy price.

• kobie173kobie173 Member UncommonPosts: 2,075
    Originally posted by Aikes

So he isn't talking about the CURB that was on test center just prior to going live? I did not know there was something prior.... my vote is for Pre-CU regardless. Pre-patch 9 would be my most desired but any Pre-CU version would be nice.

Pre-9 would be cool except for one problem: no Jump To Lightspeed. Best. Expansion. Ever.

NOTE: I actually started playing at patch 11, but everything I've read about the earlier days of the game leads me to believe that pre-9 was the game's heyday.

So I started to walk into the water. I won't lie to you boys...I was terrified. But I pressed on, and as I made my way past the breakers, a strange calm came over me. I don't know if it was divine intervention or the kinship of all living things, but I tell you, Jerry, at that moment ... I was a marine biologist.

• TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,164
    Yeah hook us up with some screen shots of it. I've heard a lot of people talk about the curb but never saw the evidence of it.
    SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

• GenwaGenwa Member Posts: 156
    It's a legend.

I don't think anyone ever tried it. SOE started talking about CU (that we know) on January of 2005.

TH actually said what there would be, but people couldn't imagine that much, so everyone was shocked when CU came to TC.
  • TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,164

It's no legend, I remember seeing the tid-bit on the CR, then they edited it and said they were going to put it on hold for a bit and would have updates in the future. If I remember right it was under a picture of a toon in a white sun hat swinging  a weapon .

http://games.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=05/02/03/1648230&tid=209

http://games.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=05/01/19/0210254&tid=209

this is the Beta email I got about it.

Thank you for completing the Star Wars Galaxies[R] Combat Upgrade Beta Test application. We greatly appreciate your interest in helping us test our product.
    Next Step - We will be evaluating your beta application based on a number of factors. If we accept you into the Beta, we will send you another email with further instructions and all of the information necessary for you to acquire the Beta software. Please note that you will only receive an email if you are accepted.

We are very excited to be entering this phase of the Combat Upgrade testing, and once again we thank you for your interest in being a Star Wars Galaxies tester.

Sincerely,

-Star Wars Galaxies Team
    Sony Online Entertainment

SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

• freebirdpatfreebirdpat Member Posts: 568

I heard CURB was kicked to the curb because it was too drastic of a change.(ok thats a lie, I don't know the real reason they got rid of the CURB and went with the CU. And from what I remember it was a reality at one point.

Originally posted by kobie173

Pre-9 would be cool except for one problem: no Jump To Lightspeed. Best. Expansion. Ever.

NOTE: I actually started playing at patch 11, but everything I've read about the earlier days of the game leads me to believe that pre-9 was the game's heyday.

JTL made travel to anywhere fast and easy... the problem with that was that you never got to see people anymore except on Damtooine at the MO. I myself could do without JTL, but it was probably the best addition to the game for content. I just think it had adverse effects on the community.

Originally posted by tillamook

It's no legend, I remember seeing the tid-bit on the CR, then they edited it and said they were going to put it on hold for a bit and would have updates in the future. If I remember right it was under a picture of a toon in a white sun hat swinging  a weapon .

Thank you for completing the Star Wars Galaxies[R] Combat Upgrade Beta Test application. We greatly appreciate your interest in helping us test our product.
    Next Step - We will be evaluating your beta application based on a number of factors. If we accept you into the Beta, we will send you another email with further instructions and all of the information necessary for you to acquire the Beta software. Please note that you will only receive an email if you are accepted.

We are very excited to be entering this phase of the Combat Upgrade testing, and once again we thank you for your interest in being a Star Wars Galaxies tester.

Sincerely,

-Star Wars Galaxies Team

And in that link to SWG forums, TH tells people what CU is like. He tells about changes; combat, armor and profession systems.

Forums are deleted but you can find TH's post here:

http://web.archive.org/web/20050307144927/forums.station.sony.com/swg/board/message?board.id=Developers&message.id=56182

As you see he is exactly saying what would be going to happen.

People just couldn't imagine SOE would be that stupid, so they trusted.
  • kobie173kobie173 Member UncommonPosts: 2,075

JTL made travel to anywhere fast and easy... the problem with that was that you never got to see people anymore except on Damtooine at the MO. I myself could do without JTL, but it was probably the best addition to the game for content. I just think it had adverse effects on the community.

JTL also added space combat, which IMHO is essential to a Star Wars MMO.

They could have just not allowed instant travel via starship out of the ship terminal.

And the Dant MO didn't really get supercrowded until after the CU ... 6 months+ after JTL came out.

So I started to walk into the water. I won't lie to you boys...I was terrified. But I pressed on, and as I made my way past the breakers, a strange calm came over me. I don't know if it was divine intervention or the kinship of all living things, but I tell you, Jerry, at that moment ... I was a marine biologist.

Originally posted by Aikes So he isn't talking about the CURB that was on test center just prior to going live? I did not know there was something prior.... my vote is for Pre-CU regardless. Pre-patch 9 would be my most desired but any Pre-CU version would be nice.

the addition of JTL diminished starport crowds but it didn't eliminate them. You could still find bunches of people in the main starports because of doc buffs. When doc buffs when, then the starports were barren.

Originally posted by iskareot

Originally posted by Ransom73

Wrong it did make it to a beta form I think.  

No, it didn't.

In fact I think I have shots of it...

No, you don't.

and or it was pre-CU --  CU in the works shots..   

It was CU TC shots, prior to the introduction of the new icons for specials.

In fact I think I dare say some Jedi got to try it.

No, he (or she) didn't.

Some did and did not even know it... they thought they were testing somthing else.

No, they didn't.  What little actual coding DID get done never made it past an internal developers server cluster.

Not sure if the version was somthing we saw as a interm of it.   In fact I remember somthing being like the CU except the first thing you notice is that it's the same old UI if I recall.      I will have to look that up and find them.

I remember the CU being two different looking versions too actually.... not sure if that was just progess on it though.

Most likely yes.  The icons for the CU weren't introduced initially.  They came in about 4 days after CU hit TC.

Been a while..

Originally posted by tillamook

Sincerely,

-Star Wars Galaxies Team

Everyone that applied to the CU beta got that email. It's nothing special.

It should be noted that the Combat Upgrade was the LAST name given to the changes.  It was in the following order:  Combat Balance.  Combat Revamp.  Combat Upgrade.

The Combat Balance officially began in Jan or Feb of 04.

And if you can't figure out that Combat Upgrade nomenclature came AFTER Combat Balance nomenclature, then you need to work on your deductive reasoning skills.  But I'll help you along.  What does this mean?

It means that little email that you're reporting to be truth behind the VERY early Combat Revamp documentation/alpha/beta does not apply to the Combat Revamp/Balance alpha/beta/etc.

• TaucetiTauceti Member Posts: 168

Hi all,

Just thought I throw my 2cents in.

If I remember correctly [ its been awhile...LOL ] the CURB was avaiable for testing, prior to the CU; but not in the traditional since of beta or SWG testing.  As I recall, when the CURB was ready for testing they asked for like 2-5 volunteers from each of the combat profession [plus medical] to test and make recommendation on the CURB. It existed on a totally diffrent test server w/ limited access.

As word got out that it resolved some of the issue we had [ like defense stacking ] people were getting excited, but then when the White paper came out on the CU people had mixed feling on it. But there was also some confusion as to what information was unofficially coming out and what was being officially released. When the CU was released for general testing, people starting complaining about it and asked if this was what all the talk was about. Thats when someone who had tested the CURB mentioned it wasn't and that they hadn't seen the CU.

As for why it never made it to the game; no one outside of SOE / LEC really knows. I think the release of  WoW is part of the equations as is the possiblity of overhead in the form of DEVs.

IMO,

Tauceti

It never went online on TC. Just check this.

It's by TH on 01-18-2005. He is exactly saying what CU is like.
  • FikusOfAhaziFikusOfAhazi Member Posts: 1,835
    Originally posted by Genwa

I thought it was only on the sanbox thing or whatever the devs server was called. You had to be invited to be a sanbox tester for it. But, hell, that was so long ago.

No One knows what Gordan W. was working on then? Because, i thought it was that. I have no idea if it was or not. but i thought thats what i remember hearing.

See you in the dream..
    The Fires from heaven, now as cold as ice. A rapid ascension tolls a heavy price.

You're correct the CURB didn't go to the general TC, but as I recall it did go to a special test server. As far as the link goes, that information came out shortly before CU went to TC.

As I Recall,

Tauceti
    Originally posted by FikusOfAhazi

I thought it was only on the sanbox thing or whatever the devs server was called. You had to be invited to be a sanbox tester for it. But, hell, that was so long ago.

No One knows what Gordan W. was working on then? Because, i thought it was that. I have no idea if it was or not. but i thought thats what i remember hearing.

Now that I recall I believe you are correct. The special test server was named something like sanbox.

Tauceti