Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DEVS run not just eve but other games

Max_TorpsMax_Torps Member Posts: 84
Dev involvement in the game has now just reached one step further:

www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/post/1234750/thread/110820#1234750

Scott Adams in EQ2 has now got his own guild.

Who will join a player made guild now? Definately a parallel to Eve here....

Thoughts?

Comments

• bawldybawldy Member Posts: 151
    well, eq has a lot of official documentation - eve has nothing official really (devs are privy to the real info, and assist their friends with that info, but other then that, nothing really is documented properly until months later)

If a dev wants to play, then they need to be public, like the eq dev is, instead of sneaking about behind closed doors spawning things and cheating...all in secret...like ccp does

seems the eq dev is open and honest, while ccp devs lie and cheat and coverup what they do (or try hard...like ccp is still trying)

don't get me wrong, I haven't the slightest desire to play eq...but at least the eq devs are not ccp-liers-cheaters

ccp the "we cheat for our buddies and are proud of it" company...

• RollinDutchRollinDutch Member Posts: 550
    Originally posted by bawldy

well, eq has a lot of official documentation - eve has nothing official really (devs are privy to the real info, and assist their friends with that info, but other then that, nothing really is documented properly until months later)

You apparently don't realize that most people who actively play the game are 'privy' to the real info simply by word-of-mouth and testing of their own.

You know what happens when I don't know how something works? I either ask someone with experience regarding it or I test it myself. I don't go crying about the lack of a manual which would be out of date anyway, especially when it's usually faster to test something then to look it up anyway.

You know why I do this? I am not a moron. That is what people who are not morons do. That is why I don't see exploits in most of the whiny shit that you morons post, I see game tricks that have been well-known for long amounts of time.
  • Max_TorpsMax_Torps Member Posts: 84
    The way I personally look at it though, is "why join a player guild/corp/whatever" it's gonna be stunted. I may as well join a dev led corp/guild/whatever instead.....

Until some rational about dev involvement in games is drawn up across all MMO's, I'm out.  It's too ridiculous for words. In fact no, here are some:

Player A: I wanna join a corp/guild/whatever - what's the best?

Player B: Well I'd say join the "DEVS CORP/GUILD/WHATEVER" because DEV "A" runs it, we all know what that means *nudge* *wink*

Player A: What about "Player corp with cool name"?

Player B: NAH, they'll not progress as fast.
  • Havoc11Havoc11 Member Posts: 95
    Originally posted by RollinDutch

You apparently don't realize that most people who actively play the game are 'privy' to the real info simply by word-of-mouth and testing of their own.

You know what happens when I don't know how something works? I either ask someone with experience regarding it or I test it myself. I don't go crying about the lack of a manual which would be out of date anyway, especially when it's usually faster to test something then to look it up anyway.

You know why I do this? I am not a moron. That is what people who are not morons do. That is why I don't see exploits in most of the whiny shit that you morons post, I see game tricks that have been well-known for long amounts of time. So I bet you already knew all about how shooting through POS' shields was a feature and not a bug. Or how about using the agro timer to kill titans? Or maybe you knew about nanobattleships before everyone else?

The problem with a game having nothing documented by the game company is that you don't know whats intended, and what isn't.

Compound this with the fact that CCP plays the game (With a number of cases pointing towards favoritism) , they can give out information, even without stating they are a dev.

EX: "Hey guys I just found out X!" or "On the test server Y is different!" or "I heard this will change in the future, better buy those T1 blueprints because they will become T2!".

Do you really think you, or anyone else, knows more about the game than CCP? Even though they act like they don't understand how anything in their game works, labeling things bugs or features as the players bring them up.
    Originally posted by Havoc11

So I bet you already knew all about how shooting through POS' shields was a feature and not a bug. Or how about using the agro timer to kill titans? Or maybe you knew about nanobattleships before everyone else?

The problem with a game having nothing documented by the game company is that you don't know whats intended, and what isn't.

Compound this with the fact that CCP plays the game (With a number of cases pointing towards favoritism) , they can give out information, even without stating they are a dev.

EX: "Hey guys I just found out X!" or "On the test server Y is different!" or "I heard this will change in the future, better buy those T1 blueprints because they will become T2!".

Do you really think you, or anyone else, knows more about the game than CCP? Even though they act like they don't understand how anything in their game works, labeling things bugs or features as the players bring them up.

This is basically what I'm talking about. Failures complaining that they fail.

Try being a winner sometime for a change.

You could have picked better examples btw, I was flying nanoships before it was cool.

You know why I do this? I am not a moron. That is what people who are not morons do. That is why I don't see exploits in most of the whiny shit that you morons post, I see game tricks that have been well-known for long amounts of time. I sure hear lips puckered on ccp butt there...

I said that ccp has no official documentation for all to have. nothing of all those hidden secrets that they can dismiss as "oh thats intended" when it favors their buddies.

Your twisted 'logic' has serious flaws; the players should know more then the gm's, because there is nothing documented....yaaaaariiiight

Testing should be done before it is added to the game..DUHHHH...(fix the engine after you sell the cars...ohboy)...that way you can have it all documented as it works and is intended to work (basic QC thing...).

Your inability to look things up fast sure sounds like another issue unrelated to this topic (special classes and such will help you I am sure...)

Now as to whom is a moron...is it those that left a game over this, or those sheeple that will still send ccp $$$ just to be lied too, cheated, always at a disadvantage because the developers lie and cheat as players in the game, and allow their friends too do the same...tell us, which group would be labeled "morons"...

be a sheeple and victim, or let your $$$$ speak to ccp by denying them your $$$...one can always resub later if ccp shows it will do the right thing, of simply enforcing the rules equally on ALL even if retroactive.....they did it before and I gave them another chance...but only to find I was lied too again.

I sure hear lips puckered on ccp butt there...

I said that ccp has no official documentation for all to have. nothing of all those hidden secrets that they can dismiss as "oh thats intended" when it favors their buddies.

Your twisted 'logic' has serious flaws; the players should know more then the gm's, because there is nothing documented....yaaaaariiiight

Testing should be done before it is added to the game..DUHHHH...(fix the engine after you sell the cars...ohboy)...that way you can have it all documented as it works and is intended to work (basic QC thing...).

Your inability to look things up fast sure sounds like another issue unrelated to this topic (special classes and such will help you I am sure...)
    Bugs in a MMOG? IMPOSSIBLITISTIC!

Failure senses.... tingling.

Originally posted by Havoc11

So I bet you already knew all about how shooting through POS' shields was a feature and not a bug. Or how about using the agro timer to kill titans? Or maybe you knew about nanobattleships before everyone else?

This is basically what I'm talking about. Failures complaining that they fail.

Try being a winner sometime for a change.

You could have picked better examples btw, I was flying nanoships before it was cool.

oh jeez, tell us just what makes YOU a winner... "look maaa, I flew a nanophoon before it was coooool"

I win by not paying ccp to be lied to.

You lose your time, and $$$....

yep, you lose(r)

me win(r)

??DINGDINGDING???, last train back to troll town leaving in 5 minutes, you better hurry home????

I sure hear lips puckered on ccp butt there...

Bugs in a MMOG? IMPOSSIBLITISTIC!

Failure senses.... tingling.

ok boys and girls, that is a classic example of trolling, as the comments reflect nothing he quotes.

notice his focus on "bugs" and failure..yet no where in the quote are 'bugs'  or failure mentioned.

better hurry troll, that train is leaving soon...

• w175jabw175jab Member Posts: 239
    "well, eq has a lot of official documentation - eve has nothing official really (devs are privy to the real info, and assist their friends with that info, but other then that, nothing really is documented properly until months later)

If a dev wants to play, then they need to be public, like the eq dev is, instead of sneaking about behind closed doors spawning things and cheating...all in secret...like ccp does

seems the eq dev is open and honest, while ccp devs lie and cheat and coverup what they do (or try hard...like ccp is still trying)

don't get me wrong, I haven't the slightest desire to play eq...but at least the eq devs are not ccp-liers-cheaters"

This is just one example out of the many.  (Not to pick on bawldy what so ever.)

CCP is operated by humans after all... It's not like CCP is the first MMO to ever have devs cheat or screw with people.  It's not right and I don't like it as much as the next guy, but at least CCP has the decency to issue an official formal apology by the guilty party.  Moral of the story: Get the hell over it and play.
    Originally posted by w175jab

"well, eq has a lot of official documentation - eve has nothing official really (devs are privy to the real info, and assist their friends with that info, but other then that, nothing really is documented properly until months later)

don't get me wrong, I haven't the slightest desire to play eq...but at least the eq devs are not ccp-liers-cheaters"

This is just one example out of the many.  (Not to pick on bawldy what so ever.)

CCP is operated by humans after all... It's not like CCP is the first MMO to ever have devs cheat or screw with people.  It's not right and I don't like it as much as the next guy, but at least CCP has the decency to issue an official formal apology by the guilty party.  Moral of the story: Get the hell over it and play. nicely put.

I only disagree on the moral lesson it teaches due to the time-line of the events the whole scandal encompasses.

I hope you enjoy your time and do not suffer from any cheats of this nature in the future.

I will try to do the same with the remaining time I have on the only active account left.

Fly safe !

Haha, My account has been closed for months 

Space is bloody lonesome!  So, I simply quit playing and searched around for other things to fill my relaxation time!
  • RAF-doodRAF-dood Member Posts: 65

I'm sitting here laughing my butt off, I said Eve was a rotten game long before any of this Dev crud was an issue and now its an even bigger pile of it. You lemmings that will keep playing this game regardless of whats done to you are truely pathetic, wake up and smell what CCP is shovelling you. I left after two years of Eve and saw that this game was becoming the most worthless excuse for a Sci-Fi game ever to be released and its grown even more so since then.

For those that have left and are continueing to do so, good for you, send CCP a clear message, "Don't mess with you subscribers". For those that are staying, wake up, there are other games coming out that you can wait for that will take note of how the subscribers react to this and will not make the same mistakes that CCP has done and will continue to do. CCP's employees are just going to get smarter about how they lie, cheat and steal, the playing field will never be level. If you really want the game to change for the better you need to send a message(though personally I think the game is garbage) and the only thing CCP is going to listen to is reduced subscriptions fees coming in.

• KniknaxKniknax Member UncommonPosts: 576

Hehehe, ok, if the original poster had, rather than posting this in an instant "OMG NO" reaction, had actually checked out the poster he is quoting, he would see that rather than being Scott Adams the EQ2 producer (not developer) he is actually just a player who happens to have the same name.

Check his posts.. includes how his favourite game is CoH, how he quit EQ cos it was boring, and how he is planning on quitting EQ2 soon cos its all got a bit sameish.

The Dev's in EQ2 do play the game, but like EvE (and indeed like every other MMO in existance) they are not allowed to reveal their names or their identities to players. Although most of them play on the Test server (as they have stated previously). If developers of MMO's did not actually play the game, I for one, would be pretty annoyed. How can you leave your precious world in the hands of a bunch of people who  have never experienced it like you have?!

This post is a classic "Look before you leap" posting moment :D

"When people don't know much about something, they tend to fill in the blanks the way they want them to be filled in. They are almost always disappointed." - Will Wright

• EschiavaEschiava Member Posts: 485

I am curious as to why the OP thinks that Scott Adams is a dev.  Thepost immediately after the OP's in his linked thread states that he is not.  Further, I have known Scott online since the early EQ1 days, have played with him and his hydra, and I can confirm, Scott Adams is a regular player.

Amusing side note, Scott is the first player I can ever remember multi-boxing in an MMORPG game.  In EQ he used to box 5 characters at once, which is why he dubbed himself "the hydra". 

• EschiavaEschiava Member Posts: 485
    Originally posted by jayanti

Hehehe, ok, if the original poster had, rather than posting this in an instant "OMG NO" reaction, had actually checked out the poster he is quoting, he would see that rather than being Scott Adams the EQ2 producer (not developer) he is actually just a player who happens to have the same name.

Check his posts.. includes how his favourite game is CoH, how he quit EQ cos it was boring, and how he is planning on quitting EQ2 soon cos its all got a bit sameish.

The Dev's in EQ2 do play the game, but like EvE (and indeed like every other MMO in existance) they are not allowed to reveal their names or their identities to players. Although most of them play on the Test server (as they have stated previously). If developers of MMO's did not actually play the game, I for one, would be pretty annoyed. How can you leave your precious world in the hands of a bunch of people who  have never experienced it like you have?!

Yeah, if the devs didn't play, you might end up with SWG! 
  • Max_TorpsMax_Torps Member Posts: 84
    Originally posted by jayanti

And you win the thread!

Yup, I had a little too much to drink and should have looked before I leapt.

But an interesting discussion nontheless. Thank you all.
  • TulisinTulisin Member Posts: 47

Most games are *not* like EVE though. Dev interaction won't harm anything in EQ2, for example, unless the dev is using their avatar account (non-avatar accounts don't have any special powers). Since most games don't have the PvP-focus EVE has, it doesn't harm the game as a whole if devs are in player organizations.

I know several Everquest devs that have characters they play in-game, the most they can do is when a new expansion comes out they know what the best moneymaking spots are and can get some good plat selling things early on (which anyone in beta can do too), and that doesn't hurt a darn thing.

• TrianonTrianon Member Posts: 112

You know why I do this? I am not a moron. That is what people who are not morons do. That is why I don't see exploits in most of the whiny shit that you morons post, I see game tricks that have been well-known for long amounts of time.

You walk like a moron, you talk like a moron.... hmmmm......
  • kano71kano71 Member Posts: 207

don't get me wrong, I haven't the slightest desire to play eq...but at least the eq devs are not ccp-liers-cheaters

If you believe that every dev that plays there own game posts where and what they r doin ingame your crazy, and to think that  the CCP  dev  that got cuaght is the only game dev that does not  step over the line your  living in a fantasy world . in every aspect of life  there is always poeple in power that take advantage  of their situation. It's a fact of life and  nothing can be done to change that. christ look at our goverment(USA) or any goverment for that matter. I play the game(eve) because i like it. simple as that, but i do not kid myself that in anygame i play there is not someone cheating. If i left for that reason I would never be able to play anything but a offline single player game.!
  • TaniquetilTaniquetil Member Posts: 214
    Cancel or play ....your choice.....stop moaning

Everyone cheats even in a small way ,players benefit from exploits all the time.Should they all be fired? or chased down and burned ?

This probably isn't the first time and it won't be the last incident of cheating in an MMO ,its nieve to think corruption in this games does not happen.Get off your high horses and deal with it.
  • damian7damian7 Member Posts: 4,449

you getting those free t2 bpos as well?

otherwise...

could we please get correspondent writers and moderators, on the eve forum at mmorpg.com, who are well-versed on eve-online and aren't just passersby pushing buttons? pretty please?

• damian7damian7 Member Posts: 4,449
    Originally posted by Taniquetil

Everyone cheats even in a small way ,players benefit from exploits all the time.Should they all be fired? or chased down and burned ?

This probably isn't the first time and it won't be the last incident of cheating in an MMO ,its nieve to think corruption in this games does not happen.Get off your high horses and deal with it.

yes, because not talking about things makes it better, ask any ostrich - stick your head in the ground and all your problems are over.

for those of us that aren't ostriches however...

wondering how exactly dev cheating = player cheating?  is there a player mod that allows me to spawn t2 bpos and such?

it's naive to not expect a lot of player uproar from devs being exposed at cheating and ONLY admitting to the little bit they were caught red-handed doing...

could we please get correspondent writers and moderators, on the eve forum at mmorpg.com, who are well-versed on eve-online and aren't just passersby pushing buttons? pretty please?

• kano71kano71 Member Posts: 207
    Originally posted by damian7

Originally posted by Taniquetil

yes, because not talking about things makes it better, ask any ostrich - stick your head in the ground and all your problems are over.

for those of us that aren't ostriches however...

wondering how exactly dev cheating = player cheating?  is there a player mod that allows me to spawn t2 bpos and such?

it's naive to not expect a lot of player uproar from devs being exposed at cheating and ONLY admitting to the little bit they were caught red-handed doing...

The dev coulda spawned himself a million t2 bpo's and it wouldnt effect my play accept  maybe lower the  price on t2 gear
    Like the lady said...

Get the hell over it already.