Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is it worth it?

LullabyLullaby Member Posts: 16
While having no monthly fee and being based on the Ancient Roman Empire is enticing, I have not heard many reviews about this game.

So.. the open question of the day is... Should I get the game? Why?

Comments

• grenkalgrenkal Member Posts: 58
    I would say hold off for a bit and see how it shapes up. The population is low and the implementation glitchy at the moment. The actual game is far away from the advertising and general hopes for it and i would question the immediate future of it to be honest, thats why i am holding fire.

I see investing in it like investing in a high risk stock. it could be a great game and you could be in it from near the start and established when it takes off, also you could get your fingers burnt if it doesnt come off.

I played the beta and it wasnt the content that i was unhappy with it was the implementation of the game as it was. very buggy and resource intensive, there were many glitches and it wasnt even near to being able to have polish applied. That was about 12 months ago, they have added lots more content new GUI since i played but i hear there are still glitches and bugs and people still find that the server doesnt support large amounts of player interaction. The population hasnt been very large and still the servers struggle so its nowhere near being able to handle say 2000 simultaneous connections, which is of course a small game these days

They say its because all the devs are working on different things, some on coding and stability, others on content and features, but I don't see why they do it like that. it should be bullet proof before they go adding the decorations and sparkly things.

IMO of course
  • LullabyLullaby Member Posts: 16
    Ah, thanks for the feedback.  I was reading the system requirements for the game and it does indeed seem to be resource intensive as it requires over a 2 GHz processer and 512 RAM just to run stable.  This would require, on my part, getting a new video card and new processor, which I would be willing to try assuming the game is worth the 200 dollars or so invested on my computer.  Also, I was reading other reviews, and the the general consensus seems to be the same: A small, fixed community, who may happen to be polite and dedicated, but lacking content due to a laggy server and low server population.

It is a shame that the game isn't more popular and more polished, as the idea of of playing an MMO fixated on Ancient Rome is a superb concept.  Gods & Heroes appears to be a cool looking game, but focuses more on the mythological aspects.  Perhaps we shall have to wait for a game such as Gods & Heroes until one can finally play a Roman MMORPG.

Any more comments on the game are welcome!
  • KemarikKemarik Member Posts: 122

The best way I know how to help people who are considering this game is to simply tell them what we do in the game.  I was online with a guildmate of mine, who lives on a different continent in R/L by the way, for 11 hours on Saturday and this is what we did:

We first spent a couple hours harvesting, fishing, cooking, baking, and smithing in order to restock the merchants in town that we had hired to sell our goods. Business has been good lately and we sometimes have trouble keeping up with production.  We then filled up a cart with clothing and food that we delivered to the supply officer nearby for one of the legions and received payment. After gathering up some construction materials we had stored away the previous week and then suiting up with helmets, pilums, and long shields, we set out on what was expected to be a long overland journey through the forests and across the rivers of South Caledonia. We said our goodbye's to friends in town and walked into the sunset.

After over an hour of hiking through wildnerness we arrived at a hostile barbarian village that appeared to be very prosperous. Four months ago it was an empty hillside and now is littered with huts, kilns, ovens, forges, furnaces, and haystacks. Nobody was around when we passed through though. Moving into more unsettled territory of hills and dense forests we began using our newly learned tracking skill and over a two hour period were able to track down and kill one wolf and two bears. We received skill gains in both tracking and hunting while doing so. The last bear put up a very prolonged fight knocking us both down and incapacitating us several times to within inches of our lives. We received several kinds of combat skill gains during our fights with the animals.  We were wiser for the experience.  We also learned that bears will sometimes lay down in the brush and go to sleep and that explained how they can sometimes seemlingly appear out of nowhere.

After arriving at our destination, limping from our wounds but healing quickly, we dropped off the construction supplies and decided to go to the area where we knew the battles from the latest roman-barbarian war would be occurring. After a long hike along Hadrian's Wall, we took a path around to enter the barbarian villages from a direction they would not expect. To our surprise, we found the place dominated by players from the 18th Legion with not a barbarian in sight. We heard later that there had been a big fight with the romans being outnumbered but yet the barbarian forces were all slain with few losses on the roman side. My friend and I stayed in the area for awhile and after the legion departed, a seasonsed barbarian warrior appeared. He eventually defeated us both with hit and run tactics amongst the huts and haystacks. It was a good fight but after such a long day, we were eager to get home anyway.

You'll see people post in the forums that the game is riddled with bugs.  Yes it has bugs but saying they are very prevalent and preventing players from enjoying the experience on a daily basis is nonsense.  So much has been fixed and so much content added since game launch.  One recent development for instance is the limiting of which side and which kind of people can craft certain weapons and clothing.  Instead of everybody being able to make everything, this new system will soon spark trade amongst the towns and will hopefully help in growing the economy.

I think the primary limitation of the game currently is lag.  Although the big battle between the legion and the barbarians last weekend was reportedly lag free and very functional, there are now long periods where we wait 10 seconds or up to 2 minutes for the game to respond to an action.  This is lag of the likes we have not seen since shortly after game launch.  It is discouraging enough that more than half the players will just log off to come back another day.

Of course, what do I know?  I'm apparently only 10 years old. 

• shane910shane910 Member Posts: 359

Like I said in almost every post, this game is fun, and can be great.  The bugs arent that bad and they have added tons of new stuff.  The story you wrote here is a great example of how it can be fun useing RP to create a great experiance, instead of neding quests like most games.

This was certainly a more thought out and constructive response than the one you posted in my thread,  where you can see how someone could mistake a person that posts, like you did there,  for a immature child.   It just dosent show good character, this side of you looks much better.

And to clairify once more I never said the game sucks, just what I think needs to be balanced to make it better for new players, and to possibly make the game look more appealing to players thinking about joining.   (where its not quite so costly(IRL) or so time consuming)  Thats a big turn off for alot more people than you think.

• grinreapergrinreaper Member Posts: 507
    Originally posted by Samuraisword

Here is your review:
    http://www.giantrobeast.com/images/roma_victor_08.jpg

Ah, the review from the guy that didnt actually play the game and was in at launch when many folks were having crippling lag and login issues? Yeah, i bet you think Fox is Fair and Balanced too...
  • SamuraiswordSamuraisword Member Posts: 2,111

I do. I watch Fox News all the time.

So if you don't like the PC Zone review, show another.

Could there be a reason why MMORPG.com has not reviewed RV yet?

• MarkuMarku Member Posts: 452
    lately RV has been improving. Content wise, more weapons, clothing and armour are being added. I love my falcata sword :)

• gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919

It may be worth mentioning that:

1. There is no monthly fee, so you can buy it and play for a while then give it a break.

2. The game has its own forums and so forth. You can get a very good idea of what it is like. Graphics are still not 'state of the art' but they have improved greatly and whilst there are 'bugs' it is more a case of features not yet added rather than things not working.

3. This genuinely is a niche game attempting to faithfully recreate Roman life - up to a point.

4. The developers have never pretended that the game is better than it is.

• siredmondsiredmond Member Posts: 122
    Interesting that in the review, he said he experienced victor mortis.

Well that strictly means "the conqueror of death" 
  • herculeshercules Member UncommonPosts: 4,924
    Originally posted by grinreaper

Originally posted by Samuraisword

Here is your review:
    http://www.giantrobeast.com/images/roma_victor_08.jpg

Ah, the review from the guy that didnt actually play the game and was in at launch when many folks were having crippling lag and login issues? Yeah, i bet you think Fox is Fair and Balanced too...

Ok as i was first to post about this article in pczone uk and followed the saga for the benefits of those new i say exactly what happened .

To find out more search a few pages back .

When this article was given to all to read.Some die hards claimed that the reviewer never played the game was backed by some so called "sales person " of RB on this forum.

Someone(not me this time) posted the link to mmorpg.com on pczone uk forums and suzy wallace(one of the review editors) came here and indeed said they were given a journalist account .

Then the great misinformed RB did a U-turn and now said that indeed this account was given but they did not know that the person played it and it had no money on it(basically a sharp  contrast to the "no one played it statement").

If you look closely ofc you can see the character indeed had money with him.

So its totally false that chap never played it.

Also funny enough someone came on this forum later to say a "proper" reviewer was making a review on this game.After searching it turns out someone posted as such that he works for a historical war magazine and is reviewing this game.Not even a gaming magazine this time.

He did not even post his magazine name at all.

Again some die hard  fan here claimed that the reviewer of pczone was sacked.His source according to him was this new reviewer(cannot verify if he indeed told him so .But the post by the die hard fan can again be found here on this forums).

Ofc next week the same pczone uk reviewer was given the cover story on WoW TBC to cover.

So before you go believing the die hard fans here i suggest you look at their previous posts and see the truth.

Not here to tell you if its a good or bad game.My views on this game has been posted long ago and not ready to enter a debate.But i think its fair to point out the truth rather then the bad attempts to discredit reviewers simply because you don't like what you read.

P.S got bored so dug it out

http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/94283/page/4

Thats where uzbat also long time  username of suzy wallace on other forums came and mentioned  that they were indeed given a press account and reviewed on it.Something if you read on the CSR had no idea about and kept rambling only to finally admit on page of same thread that "he stands corrected!" on page 6.

• LullabyLullaby Member Posts: 16
    Originally posted by siredmond

Interesting that in the review, he said he experienced victor mortis.

Well that strictly means "the conqueror of death" 
    Haha.. this is a knock off of the term 'Rigor mortis', which is used to describe the action of when muscles tighten after death.  The joke is inserting Victor (of Roma Victor) in place of Rigor and comparing it to Rigor mortis... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rigormortis  Quite clever, actually.

And hahahahaha, I have never laughed harder at a review before.  http://www.giantrobeast.com/images/roma_victor_08.jpg  That is quite the humorous review.  Pushing aside humor, I am hearing mixed reviews, but mostly it seems like the best bet would be to wait a few months for improvements to occur.  From my understanding, they have a team that works everyday on making improvements.  This, I hope to be a fact as the thought of a game in Ancient Rome is quite neat.

Thanks for all.. and haha at the review.
  • siredmondsiredmond Member Posts: 122

Clever, possibly. But it also funny that it had an unintended meaning. As the wiki article actually says, 'rigor mortis' actually means 'the stiffness of death'. Therefor any word placed in front of 'mortis' means _____ of death. and 'Victor' means 'the conqueror'

Anyways that thing is several months old, and we have seen some improvements. The next big thing is us waiting on the overhaul of the Lord, Ladies, Magistrate system, and the guild functions.

• herculeshercules Member UncommonPosts: 4,924
    Originally posted by siredmond

Clever, possibly. But it also funny that it had an unintended meaning. As the wiki article actually says, 'rigor mortis' actually means 'the stiffness of death'. Therefor any word placed in front of 'mortis' means _____ of death. and 'Victor' means 'the conqueror'
    Anyways that thing is several months old, and we have seen some improvements. The next big thing is us waiting on the overhaul of the Lord, Ladies, Magistrate system, and the guild functions.

Well i agree its an old review and maybe the game has had vast improvements.I might even retry it again when i got the strenght to reload it back on my HDD.

So i think its wrong to take an old review to heart.My only point was the campaign to discredit the reviewer not just by fans but by RB(which i think was a  real low point and where i lost faith in them)  was (and clearly still is) a total fraud.

I have since seen some other reviews by Ed Zitron and i think its fair to say he does try and play the games more then most reviewers in the time frame allocated to him and sounds like a no life mmorpg gamer too.