Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

More News! (w. pics)

Zakke87Zakke87 Member Posts: 82
Here's some exciting news, I'm very happy since I've waited so long for axes! It seems RB is upgrading combat in RV even more.

* Some skill adjustments and tweaks to the combat effectiveness of selected weapon and armour object classes in order to balance them with an upcoming expansion of weapons and craftable armour.

* Some further combat tweaks and optimisations have been included however full armour and weapon QL integration will feature in a subsequent deploy.

* A wide range of new art assets notably including some exciting new weapons

Some of the weapons includes

Several new types of daggers and pugios. Including:

http://www.roma-victor.com/community/live/wiki/index.php/pugio_a

http://www.roma-victor.com/graphics/illus/classes/pugio_a.jpg

Several new axes including battleaxes. Including:

http://www.roma-victor.com/graphics/illus/classes/battleaxe_a.jpg

Three different falcatas! Including:

http://www.roma-victor.com/graphics/illus/classes/falcata_b.jpg

Falxes!

http://www.roma-victor.com/graphics/illus/classes/falx_a.jpg

Tridents!

http://www.roma-victor.com/graphics/illus/classes/trident_a.jpg

Several armours for Romans (barbarian armors upcoming KFR said). Including:

http://www.roma-victor.com/graphics/illus/classes/lorica_hamata_c.jpg

http://www.roma-victor.com/graphics/illus/classes/lorica_segmentata_a.jpg

http://www.roma-victor.com/graphics/illus/classes/lorica_plate_muscle_a.jpg

http://www.roma-victor.com/graphics/illus/classes/lorica_squamata_c.jpg

And some nice new helmets. Including:

http://www.roma-victor.com/graphics/illus/classes/centhelm_a.jpg

http://www.roma-victor.com/graphics/illus/classes/legionhelm_a.jpg

There are also many more non-combat items, and more combat items, but I can't link them all. :-)

Regards, Zakke the Gaut

Comments

• DowieDowie Member Posts: 280
    Nice, I've just want to see the archery cooming in to the game and i will give it a go :)
  • MarkuMarku Member Posts: 452
    cant wait for the barbarian armour, i guess ill get somoene to craft/loot roman armour for the mean time.

• VirtusVirtus Member Posts: 492
    Originally posted by Marku

cant wait for the barbarian armour, i guess ill get somoene to craft/loot roman armour for the mean time.
    Bet you will become a romanizer or enemy of Rome if you do.
  • Zakke87Zakke87 Member Posts: 82
    Being an enemy of Rome is actually considered a virtue among true freemen. ;)
  • MarkuMarku Member Posts: 452
    im already a romanizer, or was for awhile, because i used a Pilum.

• grenkalgrenkal Member Posts: 58
    im already a romanizer, or was for awhile, because...

I'm already a Womanizer, or was for a while because...oh never mind

• SWGforrevaSWGforreva Member Posts: 194

lol yea cool additons but hell its not like anyone can actually wear this armor into battle ha, its kindy pointless to even make it since u cant really mass produce..they should really make crafting less time consuming, too much realisim= bad, because guilds like the 18th should have this stuff already..atleast the veteran players should, but watever..

Am i the only one that sees it odd how they add this stuff yet u dont even see it in game?

• Sir-RealSir-Real Member Posts: 27
    Originally posted by SWGforreva

lol yea cool additons but hell its not like anyone can actually wear this armor into battle ha, its kindy pointless to even make it since u cant really mass produce..they should really make crafting less time consuming, too much realisim= bad, because guilds like the 18th should have this stuff already..atleast the veteran players should, but watever..

Am i the only one that sees it odd how they add this stuff yet u dont even see it in game?
    Mind to rewrite that in proper English? Anyway, mane people wear the weapons in battle, they are not much harder to make than swords, and spears aren't that effective.

Armour is way too costly atm, but as the game goes on, we will get more furnaces/forges and when labourers arefixed we will be able to make them quite fast.

• shane910shane910 Member Posts: 359
    Originally posted by Sir-Real

Mind to rewrite that in proper English? Anyway, mane people wear the weapons in battle, they are not much harder to make than swords, and spears aren't that effective.

Armour is way too costly atm, but as the game goes on, we will get more furnaces/forges and when labourers arefixed we will be able to make them quite fast.

I understood SWGforreva, perfectly.  And agree 100%.

Their are forges and furnaces everywhere....  and laborers are great and all but an unacceptable fix to the length of time needed on each project.  They SHOULD come in later in the game when 4 people and all their laborers are needed to build a temple or bath house.  They SHOULD NOT be needed for small projects like making a suit of armor and or other miniscule tasks...

That makes the begining of the game seem crappy and cast a poor image of the future in the minds of new players... log in and look arround, you will see that it already has...

I want this game to be great as much or more than everyone else, but untill they start making some changes to these(unnessairy) time sinks, (outrageous) prices and(supposedly non existant) grinds... these newly added features are just a waste of precious time that the game is running out of.

Small things like a suit of armor? One hamata contains over 20k rings that all have to be made by hand. You would need teams of hundreds of smiths to mass produce that.

Small things like a suit of armor? One hamata contains over 20k rings that all have to be made by hand. You would need teams of hundreds of smiths to mass produce that.

Not likley.  Mabe a smith and his apprentice.  Once again you arent looking at the fact that this is a game and that their arent even anywhere near one hundred people playing the game let alone hundreds...  Mass production, once needed, should be for guilds,pumping out low to average quality armor cheaply for their soldiers but if you want a high quality suit you will hire a smith that takes pride in his armor one peice at a time.  

However, if it cant be done in an acceptable ammount of time(for average players) they wont even want to start it since they wont be able to do that and have time to enjoy other parts of the game durring their free time...  Who wants to log in a few hours each night just to add peices to your project? Where is the fun? It has to be fun or it will be barren like it is currently...

• siredmondsiredmond Member Posts: 122

Um the whole point of the game is community.
    Not everyone should be making armour in their free time, Not everyone should own a set of armour. just as not everyone can construct a bath by themselves. Any building is designed to either take one person a long time to make, or a team of people a short time to make. Last I check you don't have one person building a house.

small things would be like mundane tools. Knives, if you don't harvest the ore yourself take a little more than 20 min per item. If you learn to mass produce you can make dozens in 20 mins.

And yes sir-real is right, it would take hundred of smiths to mass produce hamata. each ring needs to be individually created and weaved into the armour, very time consuming.

Originally posted by siredmond

Um the whole point of the game is community.
    Indeed mabe we need to build one of those first?

Not everyone should be making armour in their free time, Not everyone should own a set of armour. just as not everyone can construct a bath by themselves. Any building is designed to either take one person a long time to make, or a team of people a short time to make. Last I check you don't have one person building a house.
    Not everyone would be able to ...unless they were a smith.  If you verm monthly(because you like the game) you should be able to buy armor, if you dont verm you should be a slave and yes not be able to afford armor.  Building a bath house has nothing to do with being able to own a set of armor.  Last I checked we didnt build houses out of dung... and since you were not there how can you say it would take many people? Common sence would show that mud ,crap, a few sticks and some straw... are not that hard to assemble, wasnt rocket science and they probably had to rebuild after each hard rain..   You honestly think that those hardworking people needed someone else to do what they could do alone and for free? Unless they were the elderly I am sure they could slap a hut together in short order. I made much larger and more complex structures when I was 12 yrs old, and I am sure people that lived in those times knew how to survive better than we do.
    small things would be like mundane tools. Knives, if you don't harvest the ore yourself take a little more than 20 min per item. If you learn to mass produce you can make 4 or 5 in 20 mins.
    I am not gonna go on about each and every tool I will say as I said before, small tools and gear should not take long to make. And I wasnt talking about harvesting I was talking about the actual crafting of something usefull. (that would be you purchased materials and then crafted it since we should not ,could not do it all)
    And yes sir-real is right, it would take hundred of smiths to mass produce hamata. each ring needs to be individually created and weaved into the armour, very time consuming.
    Actualy it is hard to imagine 100 ppl standing arround weaving on the same peice of armor unless they were little teeni tiny magical fairys that come in while you sleep...  My guess would be that he bought the rings from someone else and then got to work making the armor once he had all he needed for the job. More than one person tugging on the same thing usualy dosent go too well.  And most smiths arent gonna have 100 ppl building their armor for them, since the ones that can make that armor for him would have their own shops or would soon after...  
    And a hamatta is hardly a dificult peice for a balcksmith their main part in a hamatta is the rings after that a leather worker could weave the rings in... or his wife.

You really need to think about the times, in this time frame blacksmithing was a closely guarded secret much like stone working was.   You would know this with a little research as most everything on Roman smithing is based on what we learned later. Their are no records of how exactly they did what they did or the processes they used we can only guess.  Even our best blacksmiths of today struggle to get close to what they were making then, and thats useing all our high tech gadgetry... Think about it.   If they were mas producing everything on the scale you are saying we would have records all over the place would we not???  Then why dont we?... because they werent.
  • KemarikKemarik Member Posts: 122

Shane, you're just so entertaining. I love it!

First you complain that in Roma Victor things take too long to make.

Then you focus on armor and say that an "average player" wouldn't even bother starting because they take too long. (By the way, maybe nobody told you this but RedBedlam didn't design this game for the "average player")

Siremond correctly points out that it would take hundreds of smiths in-game to mass produce hamata.

You then completely miss his point. By mass produce, he doesn't mean 100 smiths working on the same hamata at the same time, he means many smiths working on many hamatas or components of hamatas in parallel.

You then go on and on about how there is no evidence that smiths in roman times ever mass produced anything.

You then say that there are no records of how roman smiths did things or the processes they used. So if there is no evidence or records, why is not possible that multiple roman smiths got together, specialized in making their own unique hamata components which were then put together en masse to make lots of hamata?

But, you insist they didn't mass produce (of which you said there is no evidence to back up your claim). So, the only conclusion is that one hamata took a LONG time to make.

BUT, you don't like how things in Roma Victor take a long time to make.

This all came full circle several times didn't it?

Were you also aware that RedBedlam is trying to make the world of Roma Victor as authentic as possible?

Man, my ten year-old brain is really starting to hurt now. I need an aspirin.

• cyberlettucecyberlettuce Member Posts: 18

The new additions are looking great I may well pop in in the near future and see how things are going. Oh and regarding producing of armour, I know in the middle ages that whole villages were didicated to making parts and producing chainmail armour. I don't think it is too hard to believe that it was done in Roman times too. That doesn't mean that it was produced in two seconds as there was still a heck of a lot of work involved in making just one chainmail shirt.

I love the Roma Victor vision and I hope it continues to be successful Red Bedlam really deserve it for going out on a limb and trying something refreshing and new in this genre.

-------

"At the very least, doing the wet towel snap should disconnect the nerves of the spinal column, causing total paralysis, thus enabling you to skin the bastard alive."

Originally posted by Kemarik

Shane, you're just so entertaining. I love it!
    First you complain that in Roma Victor things take too long to make.
    Then you focus on armor and say that an "average player" wouldn't even bother starting because they take too long. (By the way, maybe nobody told you this but RedBedlam didn't design this game for the "average player")
    Siremond correctly points out that it would take hundreds of smiths in-game to mass produce hamata.
    You then completely miss his point. By mass produce, he doesn't mean 100 smiths working on the same hamata at the same time, he means many smiths working on many hamatas or components of hamatas in parallel.
    You then go on and on about how there is no evidence that smiths in roman times ever mass produced anything.
    You then say that there are no records of how roman smiths did things or the processes they used. So if there is no evidence or records, why is not possible that multiple roman smiths got together, specialized in making their own unique hamata components which were then put together en masse to make lots of hamata?
    But, you insist they didn't mass produce (of which you said there is no evidence to back up your claim). So, the only conclusion is that one hamata took a LONG time to make.
    BUT, you don't like how things in Roma Victor take a long time to make.
    This all came full circle several times didn't it?
    Were you also aware that RedBedlam is trying to make the world of Roma Victor as authentic as possible?
    Man, my ten year-old brain is really starting to hurt now. I need an aspirin.

First off get over it , you made a stupid childish remark to my post and got a response that stung ....deal with it, let it go .

If you had opened your eyes and read my thread you would know where I am comeing from.  

You would understand perfectly that the one who assembles the hamatta is not the same one who made the rings. They said they would have skill loss that would not allow you to be a master of all.  Most likley you would just purchase the materials you cannot make and assemble from there and from there it would be quite a speedy process.  You could likley be a smith and a miner, but the odds that you can also be a leather worker(for the backing) would be overkill and thats what we got now. Since we can do everything the times are ridiclous(while doing it all) and prices match by nature.  Also keep in mind that if you are making rings for the hamatta that that is a project unto itsself, and that the assembly of those parts should not take nearly as long as it took to make all the parts for the project....

As for saying they never mass produced anything you misquoted me.  We know they mass produced many things but I never heard about a Mass producing weapon and armor facility being found.  Many many individual smith shops all over the town yeah. But durring this time the smith was sought after by all,    if 100 people were working for him by the time they were able to make the same thing he is making they would be moving on to the next town or fort to set up shop and get rich himself.

Now dont mis understand me this time , I do mean that in order for him to accomplish his task he should require the assistance from others but only in the need for their product to further his. He would not however , need their assistance in his craft.  He would need only purchase his wares and assemble them with his skill.

As to how do I know they did not mass produce weapons and armor like that , well you answered that yourself.    Not everyone had armor or could afford it, if it was mass produced everyone would have it...   and round the circle we go lol

Realistic ya.... I am also aware that they are trying to make a successfull game that is currently failing...

Pop that asprin and get back to me I enjoy the debate.

Also on a side note, paruse the forums and look at all the posts for players with like 1- 15 posts saying it takes too long, things cost too much  and skills take too long, and then think about the fact that they havent posted since and you dont see them anymore, thats many many many players.....

And look at the names of the loud players with hundreds of posts screaming over them saying you just wanna change the game, or this is their goal this is what they were going for, you just a care bear whiner ect ect...and you will see that they are the same few in most every post and since they shout the loudest seems they are the ones that are heard.....

Mabe they should listen to the ones that have gone ignored so far instead of the few who are willing to ride it to the grave defending it for god and justice or whatever reason.  (probably just for personal gain or a slight edge on the noobs)

Anyways read up see if im wrong. most post just a few times before the say hell with argueing with these people and just leave.  I just aint that easy to get rid of

Shane, you have no idea what an hamata is. Let's just take a look at the ingedients in Roma Victor.

12 ringsets (10 wires = 10 cc+10firewood+10strips{10 strips = 10 lumps+10firewood})

1 tunic (Highly massproduceable)

2 metalsheets (8 lumps)

4 thongs

The last three are quite easy, the only problem is the 12 ringsets. That's 120 wires. Do you remember how many rings there are in a hamata? 20000. In Roma Victor we use 120. A very active smith could make one in like 5 days. If you come back in 2 months, he can do it in 2-3 days. Come back in 4 months (if RV is still up and running) he'll finish it within the day.

---

You said you made a lot more complex habitats when you were 12y/o? Go show me them. I want to bet they are no longer here. Also Romans didn't have chainsaws.

Shane, you have no idea what an hamata is. Let's just take a look at the ingedients in Roma Victor.

12 ringsets (10 wires = 10 cc+10firewood+10strips{10 strips = 10 lumps+10firewood})

1 tunic (Highly massproduceable)

2 metalsheets (8 lumps)

4 thongs

The last three are quite easy, the only problem is the 12 ringsets. That's 120 wires. Do you remember how many rings there are in a hamata? 20000. In Roma Victor we use 120. A very active smith could make one in like 5 days. If you come back in 2 months, he can do it in 2-3 days. Come back in 4 months (if RV is still up and running) he'll finish it within the day.

---

You said you made a lot more complex habitats when you were 12y/o? Go show me them. I want to bet they are no longer here. Also Romans didn't have chainsaws.

Actualy they are still there and another group of kids are useing them to live in.  Matter of fact we built a entire village , you could say. I am sure they repaired or replace a few but man that was over 16 yrs ago.....

To explain,  we cut the trees, skinned the bark, notched the logs, sank the uprights, attached the ridge poles to the uprights with dowel rods, mounted the top cat to the those and attached the rafters from the ridge poles to the top cat on both sides with twine.  Then we covered it with canvas tarps.   All exactly as native americans did it back in the day.  and we lived in it for a year.  We built entrance tents so everyone had a place to hang their gear when the returned to the site, we built our cooking area of a lean to design so we could lift the roof away on clear days and cover it on rainy ones.  We had a huge chuck tent that we were able to all eat in with huge tables that we also made.   also made our own showers and latrines we were a self sufficent community, of 12-16 year old kids.

Their was 4 of the sleeping tents, all large enough to sleep 10 comfortably, ad their were about 10 individual communitys same as mine was all living in same huge forrest.  All made up of kids.  It took us a little more than a day to put them together once we had all the material, witch was the hardest part.  Even though we had never done it before.  Once we made one the next one was easy like a childs puzzle.

Then look at the fact that the dung huts that we can make (in game) are just a pile of muddy dung walls and a few sticks lashed to make a roof and covered with straw... I mean that is nothing....   how could that take as long as it does in game?  These people would have done this every day of their lives it was how they survive it would be second nature, they just seem to have left that part of reality out of the game.

As for the hamattas I am not now nor will I ever be a smith but many that I have spoken with and watched hated the unnessairly and unfun times needed and for some reason they are no longer arround... figure it out people.

The prices for these items are insane because of the times needed to do everything and it is driving people away from the game.  I would love to come back in 4 months and I will since I own the game, but in four months at this rate we wont have a community!

All I am saying and have been saying is make the times and prices reasonable for the average player. As the current community that loves it to be like a second life and take about as long is nowhere near large enough for a game that requires a community to provide the fun............... 

And how long did it take you to build these?

And there seems to be a few holes.

What did you use to cut the trees?

Where did you get the food?

Where did you get the canvas?

And as for the huts we live in....

Well, this is the upscaled version

---Ill post the link when I find it---

http://www.southwestforest.org.uk/roundhouse/index.html

http://www.bbc.co.uk/history/ancient/british_prehistory/launch_ani_roundhouse.shtml
    Originally posted by siredmond

And how long did it take you to build these?

And there seems to be a few holes.

What did you use to cut the trees?

Where did you get the food?

Where did you get the canvas?

And as for the huts we live in....

Well, this is the upscaled version

---Ill post the link when I find it---

http://www.southwestforest.org.uk/roundhouse/index.html

http://www.bbc.co.uk/history/ancient/british_prehistory/launch_ani_roundhouse.shtml

Like I said , once we had all the materials needed we put it together in about a day and a half.  And thats much more work than is needed for a dung hut...

We used axes and saws to cut the trees, pole skinners to remove the bark, wooden dowel rods and twine to hold it together no nails.

As for the food and the canvas, we bought it of course.  We were, after all, kids. They werent likley to let us run arround with deadly weapons hunting. Not to mention that the camp was on a huge nature reserve near a military base.

The romans would have purchased all that they needed as well,if they couldnt make it.

As for the huts in game being a up scale version, they sure dont look like it.....  they even look like a short circular wall of mud and dung, with a few upright sticks in it.  And sticks tied to the upright sticks in angles and fastened at the top to make a roof.  Then covered with straw.   

Think back to when you were a kid making sand castles, those mud walls would be nothing.  Then sticking a few stick in in all around it, would take just a few minutes.  Tieing up the rafters would be the hardest part but would hardly take more than 10-20 mins.  Then about another 20-30 mins to layer the roof with straw.  A few tweeks here and there and ta da,  done.   And it is realistic to say that it would take days to make it?...... not in my book or the book of reality.   Pluss dont forget that all of these people would be making these and repairing them on a regular basis., not like they were permanent structures.  Side by side they would slap one up in no time flat and make us look like we are being lazy the whole time.

And the fact that this is just a game.....reality is fun to an extent but we are playing these games to escape that in the first place.

I mean the links are for something along the size of a roundhouse_grand, we have roundhouse_small and roundhouse_medium so far.
  • SWGforrevaSWGforreva Member Posts: 194

ok guys you are going off topic I want to start out by saying that i love this game because of the historical background, and its historical accuracy with the armor, weapons, everything. But when it comes down to it being a practical game its not...how long has the game been out now? more then a year? wouldn’t u think well established legions should be able to actually look like real legions dressed up in real roman armor, but the game hasn’t changed at all. Its the same old naked, buckler, spear wielding combat which is plain wrong...

I'm a SWG vet who loved the pre cu with its awesome sandbox style game play, im for realism but you've got to draw the line somewhere so the game can be enjoyed to its full potential, right? like i said before u might as well take the authentic, roman armor, helms out of the game since the majority of players (which is below 100 people) will not wear them...

This game could of been freaking awesome, whenever I watch Rome or Gladiator it makes me want to play this game, but alas, of course its not the same. I have yet to see someone wear legionary armor, I mean wouldn’t it bee sooo cool if your armor would designate your rank just like in roman history; all those special helms for centurions, generals, etc its not there, and I guess even if it was we wouldn’t see it used till 2010.…

Like SWG this game had huge potential but its going nowhere right now...no practical person/gamer would want to spend 5 days making 120 rings for a set of armor they will never wear, sorry

• Zakke87Zakke87 Member Posts: 82

This game could of been freaking awesome, whenever I watch Rome or Gladiator it makes me want to play this game, but alas, of course its not the same. I have yet to see someone wear legionary armor, I mean wouldn’t it bee sooo cool if your armor would designate your rank just like in roman history; all those special helms for centurions, generals, etc its not there, and I guess even if it was we wouldn’t see it used till 2010.…
    Like SWG this game had huge potential but its going nowhere right now...no practical person/gamer would want to spend 5 days making 120 rings for a set of armor they will never wear, sorry
    It seems you've missed out on a few updates and "bug" reports. Rank and status is actually indicated by a players clothes and/or armor and weapons in RV. Many have accidentally become outscasts or something like that for wearing the wrong kinds of toga/armor/weapon among the Romans.

And the first segmentatas was made just a few days ago, very nice looking!

And since armor ql and things like that is getting much more attention now I think we will soon see bands of fully equipped legionnaires. :)
    Originally posted by Zakke87

It seems you've missed out on a few updates and "bug" reports. Rank and status is actually indicated by a players clothes and/or armor and weapons in RV. Many have accidentally become outscasts or something like that for wearing the wrong kinds of toga/armor/weapon among the Romans.

And the first segmentatas was made just a few days ago, very nice looking!

And since armor ql and things like that is getting much more attention now I think we will soon see bands of fully equipped legionnaires. :)

LOL, actualy it seems like he sees the same thing alot of people see. Unnessairy Time Sinks. And noone buying gear because of prices...

But, dont expect the few left playing to understand that , its a concept beyond their grasp...