Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

1 gig of ram?

XxVarkinxXXxVarkinxX Member Posts: 22
My friend just told me that this game is gonna require a gig of ram..anyone know the official statement on this?

Comments

• SerienSerien Member CommonPosts: 8,460
    it's actually going to REQUIRE 512, but 1gig i think should be the recomended dose

• AnofalyeAnofalye Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 7,433

If you dont want to lag much 1 gig will prolly be SMALL, it would do the job, but even 1 gig risk to be small!

Dont be fooled, the minimum is 512...1 gig is prolly what is recommended, so prolly 2 gig to have a great gameplay! :)

- "Coercing? No no, I assure you, they are willing to bring my bags and pay public transportation just to help me, it is true!''

- "If I understand you well, you are telling me until next time. " - Ren

• OminisOminis Member Posts: 1,015

If it truly is 2 gig for great gameplay... It would be a bad choice by SOE. The way MMORPG's are successful is to (obviously)  have as many players as possible. unfortunately, most people don't have 1 gig of ram, let alone 2. So to have the game being playable at least 1 gig could have dire consequences for SOE. Although the fanboys of the game wouldn't mind paying to upgrade their computer to play the game, mainstream players would rather go elsewhere then spend the money or play a laggy game.

"No one can draw a clear line between sane and insane. You move that line as you see fit for yourself. No one else can. You'll understand soon... that the one that's insane is this world." - Vincent

Currently:
    Playing: WOW & GW

• AnofalyeAnofalye Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 7,433

Hehe, but here is how SoE usually work...

They put a minimum of 512...

With this minimum you play fine in the basic place with lesser graphics and with few peoples...

With 1 gig you will be doing FINE in all the initial zones the games will have...but, when the expensions will start to kick in you will need 2 gig!

2 gig will not be that hard to get when we are talking of expensions been released for a game that is not even in the beta.  (so march 2005 maybe, if not even june 2005 for the first expension?)

Someone saying otherwise is bluntly ignoring how SoE handle stuff.  And no matter how peoples complains, this is what the customers of Sony still want, if you cant support it, they will propose you to stick with EQ! :)

- "Coercing? No no, I assure you, they are willing to bring my bags and pay public transportation just to help me, it is true!''

- "If I understand you well, you are telling me until next time. " - Ren

• n2soonersn2sooners Member UncommonPosts: 926

It all depends on how well the engine works out. The EQ engine wasn't very good. It did great for what it was designed to do, but raiding wasn't one of those things.

EQ2 will be a DX9 game. It should make much greater use of the graphics card, and take it easier on the processor and RAM. So, if the engine is good, and you have a very good graphics card, then you shouldn't be so dependant on RAM.

Of course, other factors like the quality and speed of your RAM, your processor, and your graphics card RAM will make a difference too. Plus you have to figure that your OS is taking a much smaller bite of your RAM and processor when you have 1gig of RAM and a high end processor. Of course, that could change with the next release of Windows which is due out as early as late 2005 to early 2007 (depending on who you ask). It could make things better with smoother processing, or it could be a big increase in the memory hog department like many of the past windows updates have been.

image image

• GnarledGnarled Member Posts: 566
    This engine is fully scaleable, the original one wasn't. I'm sure you'll be able to run medium with a gig, then crank it up if you have 2 gig+ and a 256 chipset. Like they say, they are scaling for stuff that isn't even on the market yet.   

A fronte precipitium a tergo lupi

EQII
    Requiiem, Templar
    Neriak

• viet_boy33viet_boy33 Member Posts: 395
    I doubt 512 would work because in EQ1 at bazaar 512 lags but 1gig works perfectly. Als EQII has super good graphics and due to that 1gig or 1.5gig is what's going to be needed to run game at smoote fps.

.99999999999~=1? 1/3+1/3+1/3=1?
    I want to cast magic missle.
    http://www.flashplayer.com/animation/8bitdnd.html

http://www.narutofan.com go there for Naruto episodes!!

EQ lags in the bazaar because it has a crappy graphics engine. I lag almost as much there with my 1 gig geforce 4 ti machine as I do with my 512 meg geforce 3 machine. EQ2 will (or better anyway) have an engine that is quite scalable and should run just fine with 512. Just don't expect to run with all the options wide open because there isn't a machine made today that will run it that well.

image image

• cedoricedori Member Posts: 500

Its been stated on many forums that they were using P4 3.0, using geforce fx 5950/256 graphic card and 1024 mb ram.  They had 100 computers set up in vegas for them to play on and most stated they had no lag, there was one computer that had 512 and the person stated it lagged out in some area's but not that bad.

P-4 3.0, 120 HD SATA, Geforce FX5600/256, 2gig Dual DDR 400 (PC3200), WinXP-Home, SBLive, CD/DVD, Gigabyte 1000 Pro board w/FSB 800, AGP 8X, 2004 GT Edition, Intel 865PE chipset, DX-9.0b and cable ISP 2mb

• othercentsothercents Member Posts: 24

Keep in mind that 1 gig of ram does not mean anything to a non NT based system.  Basically 98 and ME will register 1 gig, but won't actually perform passed 512.  So if your planning to use 1 gig you will need to be on Win2000 or XP.

I think 1 gig would be alittle much since most minimums only require 256.  I don't think Sony wants to force their fan base to upgrade all their machines just to play their new game.  However I would not put it past them.

Regards,

Other

• Kram59Kram59 Member Posts: 153

EQ2?  I'm there. Beta tested Meridian59 jumped on EQ the day it went comercial. Got burnt and played Camelot for two years. Was hoping for UXO to rock my world, that's history with corporate shakeup. <sniff>

Going to try CoH or wow till EQ@ comes out. What is all the whoey over ram? PEOPLE! online gaming is cheap for a hobby. So you spend a few hundred bucks upgrading... You don't think people spend thousands of dollars on other hobbys?

Try playing golf everyday, scubba diving, sky diving, down hill sking, hunting, fishing, chasing chicks in bars, stamp collecting, bird watching, bowling, <beer included> going to vegas, getting a divorce, having your dog neutered, <ouch> paying the janitoral bill for the Jerry Springer show!  Come on peeps. Lets be real.... Power to the geeks and the rambos of the Ram world. Lets rock and game till we bleed...

King of the world

King of the world

• MeltdownMeltdown Member UncommonPosts: 1,183

"The simple answer is to use the best components you can afford. Keep in mind that we've designed our game with the future in mind. It will take CPUs and video cards that aren't on the market yet to be able to play our game with all options cranked up to full. The idea is that as computers get faster and faster, our game will look better and better without needing an engine overhaul." - Moorgard

buy your fancy P4s or 64 bit amd processors... EQ2 still pwns you

"They essentially want to say 'Correlation proves Causation' when it's just not true." - Sovrath

• ThehollowThehollow Member Posts: 5

A gig of ram is just not that expensive.Do yourself a favor and just get it.You will notice immediatley the difference it makes in other applications as well.

The last 2 systems i built for myself i put 1gig in each.As far as im concerned this is just standard for me now.

Originally posted by n2sooners
    EQ lags in the bazaar because it has a crappy graphics engine. I lag almost as much there with my 1 gig geforce 4 ti machine as I do with my 512 meg geforce 3 machine. EQ2 will (or better anyway) have an engine that is quite scalable and should run just fine with 512. Just don't expect to run with all the options wide open because there isn't a machine made today that will run it that well.

hell i lag there with 1 gig/radeon 9800 XT

it's ur internet

• Tom75Tom75 Member Posts: 4
    I currently have 1 gig of ram. But if that is the recommended smooth requirementI will not buy this game and play WoW instead.

• DarktongueDarktongue Member Posts: 276

Wont matter a whole lot how much  ram ya got though if yer graphics card is pants.

"woohoo i have 4 gig of ddr999 express cappaccino latte ram....with a voodoo2 12 mb ! "

:p

Nice combo of parts will run it well and as hardware advances and gets cheaper people will increase options etc. Least thats the bullshit soe usually  say (swg etc)

• Danman7359Danman7359 Member Posts: 10

yay i just upgraded my computer today to 1 gig...before long im hoping to make it 1.5

Recommended:

• Operating System: Windows 98/2000/ME/XP
    • Processor: 2 Ghz or greater
    • RAM: 1 GB
    • 16x CD-ROM or DVD-ROM
    • Video Card: DirectX 9 compatible. Pixel shader and Vertex shader compatible hardware with 128 MB of texture memory or greater
    • Sound Card: DirectSound compatible audio hardware

there u have it...recommended is 1gb

Minimum:

• Operating System: Windows 98/2000/ME/XP
    • Processor: 1 Ghz
    • RAM: 512 MB
    • 16x CD-ROM or DVD-ROM
    • Video Card: DirectX 9 compatible. Pixel shader and Vertex shader compatible hardware with 64 MB of texture memory
    • Sound Card: DirectSound compatible audio hardware

But it will only require 512 MB (which is what the first post was asking about). But, knowing SOE, if they require 512 MB, and recomend 1 GB, then you probably want 2 Gigs or more. image

image image

• wystanwystan Member Posts: 68
    512 recommended but 1 gig if you dont want to lag

• Originally posted by Ominis

If it truly is 2 gig for great gameplay... It would be a bad choice by SOE. The way MMORPG's are successful is to (obviously)  have as many players as possible. unfortunately, most people don't have 1 gig of ram, let alone 2. So to have the game being playable at least 1 gig could have dire consequences for SOE. Although the fanboys of the game wouldn't mind paying to upgrade their computer to play the game, mainstream players would rather go elsewhere then spend the money or play a laggy game.

People cant expect good performance without good harware. Just because some people are too lazy to upgrade and get with the program doesn't mean it's a bad choice. I look forward to this game, even if it takes 2 gigs to run without lag image.

Games worth looking at:
    Morrowind and all the expansions
    Anarchy Online
    Wish
    Everquest and any of its decandants
    Daggerfall (Good 'ol time-wasting 2D)
    Neverwinter Nights and the expansions
    There are more but i've seem to run out of space :P

• RegusRegus Member Posts: 489

I think you are wrong there, they can only make money if we have upgraded, if a lot of people don't they will not make this kind of games, you have to draw a line somewhere, you can't always upgrade and upgrade just to able to follow.

It has nothing to do with being lazy but house, food, car, ... costs a lot of money and you can't invest all your money in a computer.

The companies have to be reasonable

One day all will die, surely you but never I.

"One day all will die, surely you but never I." Wheel of Time

• daviniusdavinius Member Posts: 11

They actually stated in many Development reports i have read that the machines about currently would have trouble running EQ2 so i suggest we all save up and by the best Alienware machines we can get image

As too the original post yep do not even think about playing EQ2 with anything less than 2 gig of ram. A Top of the range graphics card with a minimum of 256mb of ram. Also make sure your machine is totally up to date with all the current drivers etc.

So can not wait too get adicted to EQ2, but thats me i am a glutton for punishment hehe

• ArleonenisArleonenis Member Posts: 69

yes 512mb and 1 ghz cpu is theoretically minimum, but game such as this shouldnt be player with minimum details:)))) i dont event speak about lag as this will ocure at that machine
    I even dont think you couldnt get enough detailed game with recomended syatem; 2ghz cpu and 1 giga ram is for medium detail settings to play without lag, as all new games usually jump on high details at 1.5ghz cpu and 1gig ram, geforce fx 5700... and graphicaly everquest 2 is much better than them cough lineage 2 cough,
    so pentium 2.8ghz fsb 800 and 2-3 gig ram will be needed to smooth game with high details... is this high requirements? yes and no, as everquest2 dont be in retail very soon such pc, will be good but not top end machine if someone think that he dont need/want/cant afford good pc he better stay with muds or everquest/ultima, there is price for eye candy and this price is hardware... as the diffrence between old and new mmorpgs are not content but graphic... (i dont include dark and light as no one really know how this game will really look like in content)