Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

will darkfall fill the gap left by uo?

Darkfall seems like it  is taking several ideas from uo. They even said that they took several aspects of the game from uo as well as eq.  The skill based system is one of the freest and closest to uo. From the videos it seems as if the pvp will atleast be good. I hope that this game actually follows closely in uos footsteps. It is the first mmo I have honestly seen that has the potential to take uos place in my heart. There are no safe zones, their are ships and ship battles. The way clans are set up are even reminiscent but far improved upon uos own flawed factions system. Its supposed to be more free and player driven than most current mmos. Hopwever, I am concerned that this may be an early verdict especially since they still havemnt released the beta. For you uo fans however, this is definitely worth a serious look. My only real fear is that it either doesnt live up to its potential, or that it in the end follows to closely in the path of current mmos such as wow and eq. However, it seems to be taking the middle road between what uo was ( and improving on some aspects) and the mass appeal of eq and wow. Well, we can only hope *crosses fingers*

Comments

• sempiternalsempiternal Member UncommonPosts: 1,082

I'm looking forward to it and will definately give it a try when it comes out, but I don't know if I'll be able to get into a game with fantasy aspects like wolfmen and pig mounts after playing such an historically authenic MMOG like Roma Victor, I enjoyed the medieval fantasy theme of Ultima Online, but even the thought of playing in a fantasy world seems silly now when you can experience an historically authentic virtual world.

But, as always, it's the gameplay that's most important in any game, and Darkfall seems to be combination of everything I've enjoyed in other games.  So, even if it does involve going back to fighting orcs and trolls and casting spells, the experience can still be worthwhile and fun if done well.

• busdriverbusdriver Member Posts: 859
    Darkfall is UO in 3D, as close as it need to be. Developers themselfs are UO fans (pre-fubar), so expect them to stick to their guns. They even have a slogan "no compromises", that should tell someting about their devotion. I wouldn't worry about them going to EQ/WoW route either, they know 90% of their current community would be gone the day they suggest someting like that.

Darkfall is the only hope of getting it right. If they can't do it then no one can.
  • ZitchZitch Member Posts: 129

Originally posted by busdriver
    Darkfall is the only hope of getting it right. If they can't do it then no one can.

Actually UO could, if only they went back to how it was between 1997-2000, before they trivialised skills with locks and arrows.

But yeah I agree, DF seems to be the only real hope for a meaningful MMO. I don't just mean the PvP aspect which is also fun (for me), but meaningful gameplay with real consequence, risks, and penalty. A World and Not a game.

Where smart play matters.

No more Trivial MMO's, let's get serious "again". Make a world, not a game
    What I listen to :)

• OhaanOhaan Member UncommonPosts: 568
    I think that Darkfall is about the only title in the works that could replicate that old UO experience. My concern is that, judging by the tone of the posts in the DF forums, the players might be TOO focussed on PvP. Meaning that people are going to be so obsessed with it that the game will turn out to be a glorified Quake-style frag fest with little or no RPG. Regardless, I will be test driving it as well.
  • Havoc-PKHavoc-PK Member Posts: 118
    The alignment system will keep everyone well in line.
  • ArxonArxon Member UncommonPosts: 175

I intend to begin my journies in Darkfall as a crafter.. Though I really love the pvp system that is in place! Maybe I'll be the first Murderer/Crafter? Hehe, could be fun!

"Can't... Sleep... The Carebears... Will get... Their way..."

Originally posted by Havoc-PK
    The alignment system will keep everyone well in line.

I agree, most of the talk is just "bravado". Most of these kids have never played UO, and really don't know how alignment will work, or what consequences mean. They may be thinking gank fest... But that's ok, if the DF developers do it right, and make a UO style world, there will be room for both hardcore PvP and casual play.

I played UO during the first year when it was pretty wild, and the PK's were never really that bad. Unless you ran around carrying tons of loot, you may die now and then, but no big deal...

• JTShultzyJTShultzy Member Posts: 21

Yes, DF will fill the void. That is, of course, if they hold up to their promises... As of now though I really don't see how they couldn't.

Mounts, player housing, PvP FFA, ships; those are all things that UO accomplished, why is it so hard for a 3D game to get it right??? All these games have come out promising merely one or a couple more features of what UO delivered upon release. Why can't ANY of them do it again? Richard Garriot must be Jesus!

• xdrewxxdrewx Member Posts: 2
    anyone here recommend a clan to join? i'm interested in the beta very much, i was in the UO beta back in the stone ages. i remember some friends came over and i showed them how i could kill a bear... good times good times... you see i was a miner and kiling was not my specialty...

something happened to me some time ago involving a game called diablo, now i'm all retarded in the head

• darkcoud9darkcoud9 Member UncommonPosts: 126
    Darkfall is not the solution to the gap left by Ultima Online.....Age of Conan is the solution.....

------------------------------

• acmtalkacmtalk Member Posts: 405
    Originally posted by darkcoud9

Darkfall is not the solution to the gap left by Ultima Online.....Age of Conan is the solution.....
    I don't think so.

• busdriverbusdriver Member Posts: 859

If by UO you mean UO today aka WoW in 2D, then you might just be right. If you meant old UO, then I'm sorry but I have to laugh at you.
  • sempiternalsempiternal Member UncommonPosts: 1,082

Ya, I've got to quote than one too.  You obviously don't know much about one of those, maybe both.

you'r kidding right?

• StellosStellos Member UncommonPosts: 1,491
    I have a lot of hope in Darkfall as well like you guys.  However, ideas on how the game will be doesn't hold much water.  The only way to tell will be a few months after release.  If you remember correctly, UO when it was first released had many aspects that made it fun that the designers never even considered or thought about.  There were many bugs in UO when it first came out, these bugs kinda added to a mysterious fun that I experienced while playing.  Hopefully Darkfall will let the players control more of the world like UO did originally.  And rule number one, always make money/gold very very difficult to get inorder to keep the game econ in check!
  • OhaanOhaan Member UncommonPosts: 568
    Originally posted by JTShultzy

Mounts, player housing, PvP FFA, ships; those are all things that UO accomplished, why is it so hard for a 3D game to get it right??? All these games have come out promising merely one or a couple more features of what UO delivered upon release. Why can't ANY of them do it again? Richard Garriot must be Jesus!
    Too many features or too much freedom allows the players to determine the game experience, not the developers. They would rather have a predictably bland experience over an unpredictable, dynamic experience.