Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why was vangaurd released if it's not done

2»

Comments

• osc8rosc8r Member UncommonPosts: 688
    Originally posted by njdevi66

Originally posted by kb4blu

My point was no matter what game is released there will always be a group that says its not ready. 

And im sure you were never apart of that group b/c every MMO you played was always 100% ready for release... right? A company should not release a game if its not 100% done. We as the consumer should not have to pay a half ass product. Its like going to a grocery store and buying a package of eggs, paying full price for it only to go home an find half of the eggs are missing, think you got your moneys worth on that purchase? didnt think so.

Then unfortunately you will be waiting for a long time. As NO MMO to date has been 100% ready for release.

As for your comparison i'm afraid to tell you that MMORPG's are just a tad more complex than a carton of eggs. You could have at the very least compared it to a brand new model of car - ie series 1: You purchase it knowing full well there will be problems, but have faith that they will be fixed quickly and at no additional (financial) cost to you.

A lot of games these days are rushed out with bugs - and it's not just MMORPG's, just look at NWN2. If you expect a game to come out perfect and 100% ready, especially a MMORPG, then you will be continually disappointed.

That's not to say I condone this at all, as it would be awesome if every game was released from now on was 100% ready and perfect, but rather - I've come to realise from past and present experiences this simply isn't the case. I discovered that If want to play a MMO at release, there will be bugs & there will be downtime. If i wasn't prepared for that I would have waited, just as I would have purchased a series 2 car above in a hope that all known problems had been rectified, most of which could only be found by getting the product out there on the market.

PS whoever said DAOC wasn't buggy, let alone AT RELEASE is clearly delusional or has no idea what they are talking about.
  • BattlecatBattlecat Member Posts: 84
    Originally posted by osc8r 

A lot of games these days are rushed out with bugs - and it's not just MMORPG's, just look at NWN2.

Omg don't get me started! Atari, Obsidian and all of their affiliates are going to pay for what they did to the sequel of NWN. NWN was great and was easy to host a dedicated persistant world for. NWN2 is just a pile of shit.
  • DuraheLLDuraheLL Member Posts: 2,951
    Originally posted by roadwarriors

Why did they release it? Don't you think a companyt hat has trouble planning it's financial schedule is going to have trouble planning any schedule. Planning finances is like the easiest thing to do. Allt he information is givern and there are very few variables. Trust me i do this for a living. I work for microsoft.
    Because $OE got involved?

$OE lies list
    http://www.rlmmo.com/viewtopic.php?t=424&start=0
    "
    And I don't want to hear anything about "I don't believe in vampires" because *I* don't believe in vampires, but I believe in my own two eyes, and what *I* saw is ******* vampires! "

• PretaPreta Member Posts: 103

Before Sigil hooked up with SOE, I'd have said to cut them some slack.  I'd rather see thier efforts released prematurely than not at all.

Now?  Well, can't really blame Sigil, but yet again, I wonder what the hell is wrong with SOE.  It's not even about being money hungry, because I can assure you, they'd make a lot more money on Vanguard if they waited for a polished release that'd pull in better reviews.  It's seems like it's more about stupidity, but maybe it's more like obliviousness.  I wonder, who is SOE, really?  Is there this one guy at the top who makes these decisions, and he's basically too wealthy to really care?

• n2k3156n2k3156 Member Posts: 523
    Originally posted by Preta

Before Sigil hooked up with SOE, I'd have said to cut them some slack.  I'd rather see thier efforts released prematurely than not at all.
    Now?  Well, can't really blame Sigil, but yet again, I wonder what the hell is wrong with SOE.  It's not even about being money hungry, because I can assure you, they'd make a lot more money on Vanguard if they waited for a polished release that'd pull in better reviews.  It's seems like it's more about stupidity, but maybe it's more like obliviousness.  I wonder, who is SOE, really?  Is there this one guy at the top who makes these decisions, and he's basically too wealthy to really care?
    Considering the hits their video game division profits have been taking (albeit mostly because of the PS3) one would think they'd be paying a closer eye to quality.

That said, realistically all games are bug filled at launch. It's just something you gotta live with.

NGE Refugee.

• MW2KMW2K Member UncommonPosts: 1,036

Originally posted by Tagurit

...and if you combine these two statements you get that SOE used their greed to bully SIGIL.We all know that the greed of SOE knows no rivalsimage

Combine greed with stupidity and you get Electronic Arts. They rival SoE in nearly every way. Well, at least SoE actually release games...

• RemyVorenderRemyVorender Member RarePosts: 3,991
    Originally posted by Samuraisword

WoW was polished when released. The only problem was that some servers were allowed to swell beyond numbers they could not handle effectively and became overcrowded. Blizzard should have hard capped all servers but they did not. The server I played on had no problems whatsoever. I never encountered broken quests, non functioning skills, pathing issues, missing content etc.
    A lot of MMOGs are problematic at release but that is not an excuse. Gamers are less tolerant these days and justifiably expect a polished product.
    I am convinced SOE told Sigil to release the product early. SOE has a history of releasing their own games incomplete and expecting customers to pay for the beta.

Couldn't have said it better. Thank you.

Joined - July 2004

• paadepaade Member Posts: 471
    game companies will keep on releasing half-finished products as long as there are 'useful idiots' to preorder them/accept it. Development costs money every day and if people want your product so badly that theyre ready to order it without knowing whether it actually works or not, then of course you take their money!

I can understand that fans want to support their idol, but in the long run its bad for whole genre.

Preordering (/accepting half-assed products) is pure idiotism IMO.
  • KaptainZergKaptainZerg Member Posts: 322

Why did they release it? Don't you think a companyt hat has trouble planning it's financial schedule is going to have trouble planning any schedule. Planning finances is like the easiest thing to do...

And, that is exactly what they did. Vanguard's plan was always to release a half-baked product as soon as possible so fans would begin buying the game and paying a subscriiption fee while the dev team finished their work. And, from reports and the little I have seen so far, they have a LONG way to go.

Buy the game now and sign up---help pay for their next Friday night pub crawl.

_____
    You disagree? Then you must be who we're looking for!

• BrabusBrabus Member Posts: 52

NO wow was 100 percent functional. UO was 100 perecent functional. ... No once again not an opinion. I'm quantifying it comparetivly speaking so it's fact.

What utter nonsense!

Wow was buggy as hell at launch, was even in the press

http://news.zdnet.com/2100-9595_22-6063990.html

UO was even worse!!

I could post many sources, just dont have time as Im in office.

lol

• ChieftanChieftan Member UncommonPosts: 1,188
    Originally posted by Picklefoot

Umm, its the second (I believe) day of release. It just came out of beta, give it some time. I will probably never play it because of the 50 topics/replies about it sucking so bad. But bugs will get fixed soon. They want people to keep paying for the game.

Oh, I almost forgot to answer the question.

"Why was Vanguard released if it's not done"

Because SOE in general is a terrible company.
    I don't blame SOE for this one at all(apart from making the mistake of publishing and hosting the game in the first place).  I think this falls squarely on Brad McQuad's shoulders.  VG  was in development for a very long time.  It should have been done by now.

I have a pretty good hunch that Microsoft looked at the game 6 months ago(which was about 6 months after the game was supposed to have been completed) and told them they better find another publisher.  When Microsoft says your game is too buggy and incomplete and that they're not spending any more money on it... that's really saying something lol.

My youtube MMO gaming channel

• JMoney95JMoney95 Member Posts: 211

I remember WoW at launch.

I played for a couple days, then my server went down for THREE DAYS. THREE WHOLE DAYS.

WoW was broken as any MMO at launch. How can anyone claim it was polished at launch? The main part of the game was MISSING, not buggy or incomplete, COMPLETELY NON-EXISTANT.

Vanguards release would be "OK". Far from the best, far from the worst.

Any why must some moron make a thread for every MMO that's released claiming it isnt done? It's nearly as bad as the "X game will kill Y game". Every MMO in history has someone make the exact same thread about not being done, then some more retards chime in claiming "GReedy company blah blah". Same shit over and over.

• BarryManilowBarryManilow Member UncommonPosts: 701

Anything is better then wasting 2 years waiting for an expansion or REAL content for a raider.   No reason to over test code that no matter how much it's tested will have bugs.  But I have a feeling Blizzard was more interested in making spending money and engery in marketing and branching thier brand across the world then actually spending money on the game itself and keeping it interesting and fresh.

So when people give hell to SoE or any other company for publishing an "unfinished" product, I prefer that over waiting for a game that takes forever to come out.

• OhaanOhaan Member UncommonPosts: 568
    Originally posted by JMoney95

WoW was broken as any MMO at launch. How can anyone claim it was polished at launch? The main part of the game was MISSING, not buggy or incomplete, COMPLETELY NON-EXISTANT.
    Because there were just as many people who experienced relatively few problems.

What do you mean the main part of the game was missing? As in the server was down so the game was missing?
  • KnivesOnlyKnivesOnly Member Posts: 401

Vanguard has been one  of th emost expensive mmorpgs to developer ever! I think it came in as the 2nd, dunno what 1st was but i knew SWG was very expensive for its time. Now Vanguard owuld have been released over a year ago if they stayed with Microsoft, one of Sigil said that SOE gave them more time and money + freedom.

Alot of time and effect was on working for a 360 version of Vanguard, but they scrapped microsoft and went to SOE so they could keep it PC and have more freedom.

Anyways a game has to be released some time, i doubt as a business you'd want to be losing money for long.

• lomillerlomiller Member Posts: 1,810

SOE support is what got Vangaurd this far. If it wasn’t for SOE, Microsoft would have forced it to launch last year and it would have been dead within a week. It was SOE that financed the last 6 months of Vanguard’s development and right after EoF was released they even lent Sigil a large group of EQ2 developers to work on Vanguard. This is all outside of the deal struck between Sigil and SOE and in this time it went from being an absolutely abysmal game to one that is getting surprisingly good reviews.

Just how long do you really expect SOE to finance someone else’s game just because they get to run the servers? In any case this is probably a very good time for Vanguard to launch. One of the biggest problems facing Vanguard is that there was a large contingent of bored WoW players who wanted it to be a WoW style game with more features and better graphics. With all these people off playing BC Vanguard is free to develop its own style without all the gnashing of teeth.

• ShadusShadus Member UncommonPosts: 669

Why did they release it? Don't you think a companyt hat has trouble planning it's financial schedule is going to have trouble planning any schedule. Planning finances is like the easiest thing to do. Allt he information is givern and there are very few variables. Trust me i do this for a living. I work for microsoft.

O_o

Microsoft has rarely released a properly tested and non-buggy product, generally by the time SP1 or a year passes they've patched it enough that its decent though. If you actually worked for Microsoft I'd think you would already understand the multitude of reasons that software can be released before it's done. They have more experience doing that than just about any company known to man... 95... 98... XP... IE3... IE4... etc... etc... etc...

Shadus

• TaguritTagurit Member Posts: 309
    Originally posted by Shadus

O_o

Microsoft has rarely released a properly tested and non-buggy product, generally by the time SP1 or a year passes they've patched it enough that its decent though. If you actually worked for Microsoft I'd think you would already understand the multitude of reasons that software can be released before it's done. They have more experience doing that than just about any company known to man... 95... 98... XP... IE3... IE4... etc... etc... etc...

True enough unfortunately.

That way they get thousands of paying customers to find the bugs and of course swarms of hackers to find their hidden flaws.
  • neuronomadneuronomad Member Posts: 1,276

Don't have a clue about the gaming industry do you?

--------------------------------
    Currently Playing: Guild Wars 2 and Path of Exile

Quit: Eden Eternal, Wakfu, DDO, STO, DCUO, Sword 2, Atlantica Online, LOTRO, SWTOR, RIFT, Earthrise, FFXIV, RoM, Allods Online, GA,WAR,CO,V:SoH,POTBS,TR,COH/COV, WOW, DDO,AL, EQ, Eve, L2, AA, Mx0, SWG, SoR, AO, RFO, DAoC, and others.
    www.twitter.com/mlwhitt
    www.michaelwhitt.com

• SonofSethSonofSeth Member UncommonPosts: 1,884

Hehe, I'm loving Vanguard more and more each day... At this pace, it will replace WoW as the favourite whiping boy in a month or two, if not sooner...

Sadly, this is the biggest contribution this game has made to the evolution of MMORPG genre..

But I love those little lore storys on the homepage

• wjrasmussenwjrasmussen Member Posts: 1,493

Being somewhat jaded, I am wondering if there is something else going on here.  Suppose sigil gets into money troubles they go to SOE to bail them out, SOE is willing to give them money but needs something in return such as some power/control over sigil.  Sigil doesn't want to give it to them and is forced to do what they are currently doing.  However, SOE can sit and wait until sigil has no choice but accept the money/control exchange.  The one hope sigil has is that this premature release pays off and saves the day.

Sorry, but I am a bit jaded. :)

• M1sf1tM1sf1t Member UncommonPosts: 1,583

Originally posted by Fade
    Originally posted by roadwarriors NO wow was 100 percent functional. UO was 100 perecent functional. So many games are released buggy as hell but the only one that ever became good after a buggy release was anarchy online out of the thousands. The ones that aren't released buggy are always magor blockbusters, ie. daoc....etc...etc. I played all these games the first day they came out aand even though they were 100 perecent function they were in teh 90 perecent range. This game is like in the 45 percent range. No once again not an opinion. I'm quantifying it comparetivly speaking so it's fact.

deal chum.image
    wrong, WoW was not 100% complete, it was missing its entire pvp system for 1 thing, and had a multitude of bugs just like every other mmo on release.

PvP in WoW has and will always be secondary. It had PvP but it did not have the BG system or the HK system true but in the end that is not what is at the core of WoW. WoW released with it's core game mechanics in place and ready for consumption.

Games I've played/tried out:WAR, LOTRO, Tabula Rasa, AoC, EQ1, EQ2, WoW, Vangaurd, FFXI, D&DO, Lineage 2, Saga Of Ryzom, EvE Online, DAoC, Guild Wars,Star Wars Galaxies, Hell Gate London, Auto Assault, Grando Espada ( AKA SoTNW ), Archlord, CoV/H, Star Trek Online, APB, Champions Online, FFXIV, Rift Online, GW2.

Game(s) I Am Currently Playing:

GW2 (+LoL and BF3)

Originally posted by wjrasmussen
    Originally posted by Preta Before Sigil hooked up with SOE, I'd have said to cut them some slack. I'd rather see thier efforts released prematurely than not at all.
    Now? Well, can't really blame Sigil, but yet again, I wonder what the hell is wrong with SOE. It's not even about being money hungry, because I can assure you, they'd make a lot more money on Vanguard if they waited for a polished release that'd pull in better reviews. It's seems like it's more about stupidity, but maybe it's more like obliviousness. I wonder, who is SOE, really? Is there this one guy at the top who makes these decisions, and he's basically too wealthy to really care?
    Being somewhat jaded, I am wondering if there is something else going on here. Suppose sigil gets into money troubles they go to SOE to bail them out, SOE is willing to give them money but needs something in return such as some power/control over sigil. Sigil doesn't want to give it to them and is forced to do what they are currently doing. However, SOE can sit and wait until sigil has no choice but accept the money/control exchange. The one hope sigil has is that this premature release pays off and saves the day.
    Sorry, but I am a bit jaded. :)

It's still Sigil fault for hooking up with SOE knowing how they have operated in the past. Classic battered wife syndrome on Sigil's and Brad's part. Then again Sigil knows it can sell out for big bucks to SOE if things aren't shaping up.

Games I've played/tried out:WAR, LOTRO, Tabula Rasa, AoC, EQ1, EQ2, WoW, Vangaurd, FFXI, D&DO, Lineage 2, Saga Of Ryzom, EvE Online, DAoC, Guild Wars,Star Wars Galaxies, Hell Gate London, Auto Assault, Grando Espada ( AKA SoTNW ), Archlord, CoV/H, Star Trek Online, APB, Champions Online, FFXIV, Rift Online, GW2.

GW2 (+LoL and BF3)

Originally posted by Ohaan
    Originally posted by JMoney95
    Because there were just as many people who experienced relatively few problems.

What do you mean the main part of the game was missing? As in the server was down so the game was missing?

I would like to know as well. Seriously this guy has no valid argument. Blizzard did not realize WoW was going to be a smashing success like it is right now so I can forgive them on their first launch and server issues but the over all game and it's production quality was second to known and put any SOE title to shame.

GW2 (+LoL and BF3)