Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DX-10 rippoff ??

ReklawReklaw Member UncommonPosts: 6,495

Hi all,

I just read a artical on gamespot ( http://www.gamespot.com/features/6164940/index.html ) about Windows Vista and DX10.

Now i'm not against windows or anything but what i'm worried about is the screenshots they shown, with one look you see the DX9 versions of a game and with a mouse-over you see the DX10 version.

Now what puzzels me is the effects like shadow/darkness/light in DX10 are the same as i see them in some of the newer games already with my EN7900GT/TOP, when you mouseover the picture (on gamespot)and look at the DX9 version it looks to me like the same if i would play a game on low/medium settings instead of high, and the DX10 version just looks when i put my setting on High/Ultrahigh or extreme in some games when possible.

So is DX10 deleting the effects wich already are possible but only to be shown in hte future on DX 10 machines?

I understand those that might have g.cards that do not show nice effects already so for them it might be a win...if they upgrade to one of the 8xxx series.

Comments

• PhoenixsPhoenixs Member Posts: 2,646
    Currently DX10 is nothing more than a performance increase for the same old stuff. None of the "DX 10" games like AoC or Crysis are really DX 10. They are simply DX 9 games that can run with DX 10, and use some of the functions. True DX 10 games are still quite far away.
  • LordSlaterLordSlater Member Posts: 2,087
    Dx10's main purpose is to force people to buy the latest OS [Windows Vista], And its purpose is to enable multicore support and stuff like that.

• SpathotanSpathotan Member Posts: 3,928

Ive been telling people this for months, DX10 is a hoax. Its fake, a myth, a lie, its DX9.0d. Its an attempt by Microsoft to once again take control of the software and hardware market, ATi and nVidia make newer more expensive cards that are "DX10" compatable and quickly phase out the current DX9 cards, forcing consumers to buy the DX10 cards when they upgrade to Vista.

Sounds farfetched, but then again sit down and really think about it, and go check the market. Why would nVidia make a DX10 card thats $650 and more powerful than a 7950GTX months before Vista came out, then a month or so after Vista is launched, go BACKWARDS and make weaker DX10 cards like the 8300 planned for March, which will be 1/5th of the price of those 8800's? Before and 2 months after Vista launches, the only DX10 card available will be the $400-$700 8800's, forcing the consumers to pay those outrageous prices if they want DX10 gaming, then after damn near everybody has bought them, they start making the cheap shit.

Its a big scam, DX10 is bullshit.

"There's no star system Slave I can't reach, and there's no planet I can't find. There's nowhere in the Galaxy for you to run. Might as well give up now."
    — Boba Fett

• n25phillyn25philly Member Posts: 1,317
    Originally posted by Spathotan

Ive been telling people this for months, DX10 is a hoax. Its fake, a myth, a lie, its DX9.0d. Its an attempt by Microsoft to once again take control of the software and hardware market, ATi and nVidia make newer more expensive cards that are "DX10" compatable and quickly phase out the current DX9 cards, forcing consumers to buy the DX10 cards when they upgrade to Vista.
    Sounds farfetched, but then again sit down and really think about it, and go check the market. Why would nVidia make a DX10 card thats $650 and more powerful than a 7950GTX months before Vista came out, then a month or so after Vista is launched, go BACKWARDS and make weaker DX10 cards like the 8300 planned for March, which will be 1/5th of the price of those 8800's? Before and 2 months after Vista launches, the only DX10 card available will be the $400-$700 8800's, forcing the consumers to pay those outrageous prices if they want DX10 gaming, then after damn near everybody has bought them, they start making the cheap shit.
    Its a big scam, DX10 is bullshit.
    Can I borrow your tinfoil hat?

member of imminst.org

• JelloB2000JelloB2000 Member CommonPosts: 1,848

Originally posted by LordSlater
    Dx10's main purpose is to force people to buy the latest OS [Windows Vista], And its purpose is to enable multicore support and stuff like that.
    dingdingding!

Ever since Dx5 or so Microsoft has been hyping every dx-generation thruu the roof. Dx10 has NO BACKWARDS COMPABILITY (previous generations did have) so you must buy vista AND a Dx10 graphics card, real fun.

Originally posted by JelloB2000

Originally posted by LordSlater

dingdingding!

Ever since Dx5 or so Microsoft has been hyping every dx-generation thruu the roof. Dx10 has NO BACKWARDS COMPABILITY (previous generations did have) so you must buy vista AND a Dx10 graphics card, real fun.

DX10 isn't backwards compatible so they could get rid of all the old code that made things hard to program and that tied up more resources than necessary.  Vista had DX9 in it to, so it runs older games fine with a DX9 card.  No matter what you would need to get a DX10 card to run DX games. (unless you like games that don't work properly of course!)

As for DX10 being Vista only that is a different story.  I don't see any reason to make DX10 only compatible with Vista except to sell it.  I'm sure they could put DX10 into XP. (Not that I would want to go back to XP now that I have Vista)

member of imminst.org

You're making sense Gunblade, stop it.  There is no room for rational thought here...

member of imminst.org