Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Going to play, need advice

Hi everyone. I'm going to start playing the game after messing around with a friend's account. I need some advice before I start, though. Not getting the game until this weekend, anyway.

First, I want to play on a RP server. I don't know whether I want a normal RP or PVP RP. Can anyone tell me what each are like? Do you enjoy the PvP, or do battlegrounds and dueling give you enough pvp action on a normal server? Are there any RP servers that stand out as exceedingly mature (horde or alliance)? I don't have much tolerance for l33t speak, stupid names, or the like these days. I also enjoy RPing in these games.

Second, there are two character classes I'm most interested in. One is a Warrior with most talent points in Fury, the other is a Paladin with most points in Retribution. Can you tell me how these two options would play, how they would differ from each other? Are they viable paths for PvP and PvE? Since both of those types seem built with offense in mind, will my ability to tank suffer, or will I be able to hold aggro in a group setting from the extra violence?

Third, what do you think of the new races? Do you think they're interesting, and how useful are their racial abilities?

I appreciate any advice. I played the game a little with a friend's account to learn some of the basics, and hope to have some fun with it.

Comments

• KefrinKefrin Member Posts: 4
    Originally posted by Sawtooth

Hi everyone. I'm going to start playing the game after messing around with a friend's account. I need some advice before I start, though. Not getting the game until this weekend, anyway.

First, I want to play on a RP server. I don't know whether I want a normal RP or PVP RP. Can anyone tell me what each are like? Do you enjoy the PvP, or do battlegrounds and dueling give you enough pvp action on a normal server? Are there any RP servers that stand out as exceedingly mature (horde or alliance)? I don't have much tolerance for l33t speak, stupid names, or the like these days. I also enjoy RPing in these games.

Second, there are two character classes I'm most interested in. One is a Warrior with most talent points in Fury, the other is a Paladin with most points in Retribution. Can you tell me how these two options would play, how they would differ from each other? Are they viable paths for PvP and PvE? Since both of those types seem built with offense in mind, will my ability to tank suffer, or will I be able to hold aggro in a group setting from the extra violence?

Third, what do you think of the new races? Do you think they're interesting, and how useful are their racial abilities?

I appreciate any advice. I played the game a little with a friend's account to learn some of the basics, and hope to have some fun with it.
    NOTE:  Most of the information is not takeing into account bc since i have limited experience with it atm

Ok first I have not played on an rp server.  If that's your thing then go with it.  So I won't really tell you about the maturity any of the servers, but I can attempt to answer some of your questions.  The only differece between a pvp and non pvp server is basicly people can't get ganked on a non pvp server.  Some call it an added danger/challenge blah blah blah.  When I played on pvp servers I got this from it, when I want to quest I want to quest so leave me the F*** alone.  Thus I no longer play on pvp servers.  Mostly what happens is that you walk around get in some really exciteing fights, then you go to zones where high levels tend to sit around bored (strangle thorn vale for an example) and then you get killed over and over.  Not all 60s are like this, but there will be plenty to slaughter you with out quarter.  Pvp servers are definatly a harder place to level, and they usually make you a better pvp player.  Now that Burning Crusade is out most of the people are out in Outland so it should be easier to level.  So if you like ganking or don't mind being ganked with some actual good fights sprinkled in go for a pvp server.

As for the new races don't know much haven't played them. But giveing another silence or spell interrupt to any class is great for pvp(bloodelves)  As for the Dranei haveing a free heal as a warrior would be nice.

Next part so Fury warrior from my experiece with them if you know how to play a warrior you can pretty much tank any boss with any spec before level 58 or so, if you have an above average healer.  Warriors are heavely gear dependant and fury more so simply simply because there wasn't a multatude of good weapons to duel weild out side of raiding.  ONce you got them Fury rips up.  It's a constant damage build so your not really killing people in 2-3 hits like some arms builds(with the right gear) could do.  It can be viable in pvp though if you've got the gear.

As for ret pally.  I'm from the school of paladin's aren't made for damage so your already going against the grain, but if you go that way I hear it can be ok, but you won't be puting up huge damage, but you can kill people decently.  Generally I believe a paladin's goal is to out last his/her opponent, and in mass pvp to be a giant distration.  As for paladin tanking uh yeah don't do that late in the game.  You can off tank some stuff if you build right, but ret pally don't think that will go down well.

Any way thats my 2cp  I don't know if it will be a help but meh.
  • LethanderLethander Member Posts: 54

Ok a big part of your decision as to where to play should be determined by how you want to invest your time. I have a character on a RP server (scarlet crusade) and a character on a PvP server (Crushridge) I've completally abandoned Crushridge after leveling a priest to lvl 52 My main which is currently a lvl 65 Warlock on Scarlet Crusade is who I primarily played. Server differences to me seemed that on any PvP server your gonna see a lot more immaturity these servers are full of people who revel in lording power over other individuals. I'm not saying all players but so many It made me sick. The RP server basically makes PvP optional and the one i'm on seems to be pretty mature for the most part. Just FYI I also have characters on three other servers so far SC is the most mature I've run across. Now doesn't mean there wont be any leet speak or stupid names just a minimum compared to the other servers.

Time is the biggest thing for me I dont have much time to play so when I do play I want it to be benificial to me. So it would depend if you dont mind haveing the occasional 45 minutes waisted where a rogue that caught you is camping your corpse. Just so ya know when they do this they sit on your corpse killing you every time you rez until either you take rez sickness or you log out. Some of them will sit stealthed right by the graveyard just to gank people who do take rez sickness. It can be pretty frustrating and a huge waste of time. There are also other zones where you can't walk 10 feet without there being a rogue attempting to gank you. Rogues of course are the most popular class on PvP servers.

On a RP server however if you feel in the mood for PvP there are many battle grounds and world PvP encounters to fullfill these needs if you CHOOSE to participate in them. A lot of people say that a person is not hardcore if they don't play PvP, well I've been there and personally my time is more valuable to me then to risk having hours of it wasted so someone else can get off by camping my corpse.

Just my take anyhow, If you do go RP and roll on Scarlet crusade feel free to look up Ashtmoff if you need any tips or pointers :) always glad to help a newbie out.

• RushagRushag Member Posts: 39
    World of Warcraft is a very easy game. Without PVP its super easy. On normal servers there is nothing to do exept grinding for better items. And people talk about items much more than on pvp servers. I suggest RPPVP server as a great compromise between danger and mature community.
  • commando779commando779 Member Posts: 1
    What Rushag said is all true. The rp server is very easy and is all about items and thats about it. Normal servers are good for alot of people if you want to battle monsters and get alot of items plus get your pvp kick if you need it. PvP servers are good for pvp and good raiding and guilds. There are more interesting people on PvP servers and theres pretty good performance, plus you dont "have" to PvP if you really dont want to. I agree with Rushag and suggest an rppvp for the perfect balance. Another plus is rppvps are less crowded and have good performance. Hope it helps
  • NierroNierro Member UncommonPosts: 1,755
    Well, for the two classes you named I wouldn't reccomend pallys for new players because they usually play them god-awful in PvP, and Warriors get very boring when you get to the higher levels.

I think you should roll a Shaman, they are a great utility class and do lots of great damage from 1-70, and they are a hybrid class.

• cupertinocupertino Member Posts: 1,094
    My advice is to start on 1 of the new RP server that were released lately weeks back.

Jan 15th
    • Blood Furnace - Central - PVP - Frenzy Battlegroup
    • Shattered Halls - Pacific - PVP - Frenzy Battlegroug
            Jan 4th
    • Name Type Time zone Battlegroup
      Antonidas PvE Pacific Emberstorm
      Nazgrel PVE Eastern Emberstorm
      Nordrassil PVE Pacific Emberstorm
      Rivendare PVP Pacific Emberstorm
      Shandris PVE Eastern Emberstorm
      Tortheldrin PVP Eastern Emberstorm
        Dec 15th

Name Type Time zone Battlegroup
    Misha PvE PST Whirlwind
    Ravenholdt RP-PVP EST Whirlwind
    Bladefist PvE PST Whirlwind
    Maiev PvP PST Whirlwind

The older RP relams will most likley be rather empty as most players will be in the outlands.