Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The grind

MMORPDEATHMMORPDEATH Member Posts: 414
I have a lvl 20 zerker, which sucked, so Im planning on lvling a wizard should i get back in the game. How long would it take to max out w/o expansions(fae rhymes with gay, sorry)?

Extremism in the defense of Liberty is no vice.

Comments

• boognish75boognish75 Member UncommonPosts: 1,540

In a game like eq2 whay would you want to hurry and grind to the top, take in the sights, hell you do have the option to disable xp gain at any time you wish which would be good cause you can skip over a lot of questsa you may grow out of, i never seen the point of growing to lvl 70 asap and not take in the sights and sounds of the whole game , i would say bro go get the expansions in the one set deal if ya can, and take yer time enjoying this game thouroughly. It can be a complete grind if thats all you want to do is lvl yer char to 70 as fast as possible, but the grinding isnt so bad if you xp by way of quests, some meander through several of the lands and make it more like a quest,

playing eq2 and two worlds

• DarthHoobDarthHoob Member Posts: 108

You have no expansions? Correct me if I'm wrong here EQ2 vets, but without Kingdom of Sky you can't go beyond 60, and possibly without Desert of Flames you can't go beyond 50? (Perhaps not, I'm not sure, but these 2 expansions did increase the levels by 10 on release). You certainly don't get the added bonus of the Achievement lines if you don't have Kingdom of Sky. This greatly improves your chances of levelling, as well as various abilities that improve every class. Without Echoes of Faydwer you won't have the second set of Achievements either, not to mention the option of a whole new set of zones from levels 1-70. which aids in your grinding (if thats the way you want to play).

There's nothing wrong with grinding, if thats what you want to do. I'm currently grinding a Fae Fury, and doing very nicely thanks to the added zones. More zones means more location xp, more quests, more loot, more gold, and more variation. Grinding can be incredibly dull if your stuck in the same zone for each tier. For example I'm currently level 39. Zones ideal for me in just the "old" game are Enchanted Lands & Zek, with a few smaller zones/dungeons leading off of these. In the next few levels I'll be able to branch out into the Feerott and Rivervale. Add to this the EoF zones and my levelling is simply flying. I've spent the last 4 days playing in Steamfont Mountains, and the amount of location xp and quests is simply quite staggering! I've levelled up 6 times since I started there, with minimal effort and (on average) 10-20% vitality boost each day. When I'm done in Steamfont I can branch out into the Mines and Klak'Anon, and will be well into my 50s before I'm looking for somewhere else. And just to add a bit of variety to it all I'll be able to branch out into the Desert of Flames zones when I'm in my mid 40s, which holds a serious amount of added content all the way up to 60 (as well a flying carpet quest which is absolutely vital if you don't have loads of plat to waste on a horse mount).

So as you can see, having those extra expansions really helps, whether your interested in grinding or actually taking your time. My advice, get the retail box of Echoes of Faydwer (not the digital download). You'll get all the expansions free.

Personally I try not to hurry levelling (I certainly didn't with my first toon!), as I'm actually taking the time to enjoy the game as I'm doing it. (I'm merely grinding this Fae Fury as my guild has a lack of raiding furies online at any one time).

Fae also rhymes with play. And they rule. No more splat fall for me

Currently returned to Norrath after disliking Hyboria.

• DelamekoDelameko Member Posts: 200

Yeah, you can't go past 50 without expansion, and you can't get any achievements...

And time to max out would depend how many friends you have, how long you play and how well you know the gameworld.

• fawdownfawdown Member UncommonPosts: 186
    Berzerker gets very good later on in the game.  It sounds like you should probably try a class that you can solo well and use in groups.  After lvl 10 though, if your not in the AA system, your not going to have the advantage others have of the same class.
  • euangelioneuangelion Member Posts: 109
    Definately get EoF even if it's just for the AA, also Wizard is one of the easiest classes to use just because of their insane nukes. It's easy to find parties because of your DPS and you can solo easily with roots. ^_^

Tried: Vanguard, UO, Rappelz, Archlord, RF Online, SWG, WAR, Ryzom, Anarchy Online, AC, APB, STO, Perfect World, Black Prophecy...

Played: EQ,EQII, Lineage, Lineage 2, GW, EVE Online, AoC, DoAC, iRO, AC2, WoW, SWTOR, Runes of Magic, Allods, Rift..
    Currently Playing: Tera

• gandalfonegandalfone Member Posts: 35
    Originally posted by MMORPDEATH

I have a lvl 20 zerker, which sucked, so Im planning on lvling a wizard should i get back in the game. How long would it take to max out w/o expansions(fae rhymes with gay, sorry)?
    I wonder why the word "gay" should be used as an insult.

Just reported this post

• euangelioneuangelion Member Posts: 109
    Why should gay be used as an insult?

Tried: Vanguard, UO, Rappelz, Archlord, RF Online, SWG, WAR, Ryzom, Anarchy Online, AC, APB, STO, Perfect World, Black Prophecy...

Played: EQ,EQII, Lineage, Lineage 2, GW, EVE Online, AoC, DoAC, iRO, AC2, WoW, SWTOR, Runes of Magic, Allods, Rift..
    Currently Playing: Tera

• ValiumSummerValiumSummer Member Posts: 1,008

i AGREE with BOOGNISH...

I was thinking the same exact thing.   Its not a race to 70.

I've had my combat xp shut off since lvl 32 (and would have shut it off sooner had I known the feature existed).

As a result, I'm getting more AA experience per lvl... Saving more Plat per lvl (affording me awesome armor and weapons).   I freqently solo mobs 5 levels above me. 

You get to lvl 70 quick you are going to be missing AA's and have to "GRIND" combat xp to get your aa's.   Or..go back and do the quests you rushed through..mentored.

So ... if you can get STOMACH SOE's miserable customer service (and I'm at wits end) then I'd say simply..

TAKE YOUR TIME... smell the roses.