Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Do NOT Play List

Comments

• UOAndrommieUOAndrommie Member Posts: 47

I haven't played all of these games but I have played most of the popular ones. I'd hafta say SWG and Horizons would be at the top of my list. Most of the others were fun for a few months, sometimes only till the free trial ran out.

UO is about the only game I have stuck with for many years and now I'd hafta say I'm gettin to the point of just hating the game. Too many changes...and not all of them good.

I only hope that one of the  "To be released" games can actually be a worthwhile purchase for me...more than a 30 day fun trial than dropping the account.

*A game does not rule all other games...espcially if it hasn't been released yet.*

*A game does not rule all other games...espcially if it hasn't been released yet.*

• KautabakKautabak Member Posts: 12

Hey!

You should write down a new list, but without beta games. Sure, we have enough examples for realeased games which should be go bck to alpha-versions, like Shadowbane, Biosfear (seriously, i don´t know, how this game ever could be released in this stadium /shiver ;-p) and some other, but we have also some games which had a bad start and which become quite good after getting a bit "older", like EQ (yeah, since the realease it´s become very different, even not good in all aspects) or DAoC -still a nice game to chill out a bit, do easy PvP/RvR and still with on of thje most boring crafting-systems ;-p -.

I agree to the most games on the last list, but i won´t put DAoC, EQ or Lineage2 onto the list. Too much people play those game, so they can´t be that bad or they aren´t released so far.

Kaui

• minkis18minkis18 Member Posts: 24
    havent tried the actual version of graal but i played the free trial thing. it is lame as all get out.

• tricontricon Member Posts: 141

I still hate Shadowbane...image

The Best thing about the future is that it comes only one day at a time.

• MistiMisti Member Posts: 724

Very useful...

All of the most popular mmorpgs and many others that are going strong all listed as games not to play!  I am not sure how this would help anyone pick a mmorpg.

Let me see, as a sampling from the posts we have

CoH

Lineage 2

Everquest

UO

Shadowbane

FFXI

DAoC

SWG

Wish

Horizons

AC2

MU

Risk Your Life

Biosfear (or whatever)

Neocron

I guess that means 80% of the people playing mmorpgs are playing absolutely horrible games and there is no way they are enjoying themselves.

• ChronicRickChronicRick Member Posts: 569

Originally posted by ramadin

FFXI
    RYL
    L2

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

• higgsbosonhiggsboson Member Posts: 296

Originally posted by Knowledge

Okay...I'm going to try and make this an intelligent post and not sound like a flame.  I have been playing MMORPGs for about 8 years now (wow I'm getting old) and I have played the lot of them.  There may have been a few here or there that I overlooked but trust me, I'm an MMORPG expert.  I have beta tested most of these games as well.  I've watched them grow, I've watched them keel over and croak.  I've been excited about certain ones,  I've lost interest in others, and there's some I just completely despised.  All the while, no matter what game I played, there were always two types of people (not limitted to these two but these two definately existed):
    1. People who loved the game.
    2. People who hated the game.
    Even as an MMORPG expert I am still at no liberty to tell someone not to play a game.  Every game has its ups and downs, some more than others, but remember that just like when you see some ugly person you wouldn't give a chance to there is a person in this world that thinks that ugly person is the most beutifull of all God's creations.  image
    All in all, there's definately games that I have played that I would not play again but those same games have faithfull players who worship the digital grounds their Game Masters walk on.  In conclusion, my DO NOT PLAY list consists of only this:
    If you don't like it, don't play it.

I agree.

It's a lot easier to criticize a game than giving a credit. A lot of people forget there are hard working people behind all this.

However unappealing the game might be to you, I think they still deserve some credit.
    It's hard to see one's dream and artistic expression crushed by simple fact that there are not enough people to appreciate their product/work.

• minkis18minkis18 Member Posts: 24
    Misti, you forgot runescape. thats a "horrible" game too. even though there are over 220,000 ppl playing it.image

Oops sorry I missed that one minkis18.  Like I said earlier in the thread, give it enough time and every game will make this list.

• freighterfreighter Member Posts: 7
    Maybie there are 220,000 members because it DOESNT suck. You probibly played before the HUGE update the just recently had that improved alot of things. Now, runescape may have graphical downside but your missing the main point. Its portable, just about any computer with any internet anywhere you can play runescape on. Id like to see you try and play everquest on a pentium 1 with a 2gig hard drive. That will never happen. Also its Cheap you can easily play on free forever and have fun and your gogin to get members WOW a mesly 5$ a month will get you all the latest updates. It may seem boring but in no way shape or form should you not try it out.

BTW the new update is a really big deal and i would so cheak it out again to re-evaluate your opinion of the graphics.

I think maybe you missed that he and I were being sarcastic about it sucking. 

The point we were making is that just because someone posts in this thread saying a game sucks doesnt mean anything.  If there is almost a quarter million people actively playing the game it sure cant suck to everyone.

• JolephJoleph Member Posts: 31

it was metioned earlier in this discussion that swg and planetside should be added to this list of bad games

Ive played both swg and planetside and i would recomend either game to ppl but thats justy my opinion

each to there own

theres only one way to be sure if a game "sucks" or not and that is to give it a try for yourself and hey if you dont have the money to spend on them i just hope you dont  miss out on anything that you might find enjoyable

and when i say you im refering to ppl in general not pointing any fingers at anyone

except YOU     image

"He who looks for his inner self finds MMORPG.Com" Confucius's Mentor

• TymoraTymora Member UncommonPosts: 1,295

I have played many, many mmorpgs and some beta versions.  My list of Do NOT Play games is short, as I always find some good things in most mmorpgs.

Saga of Ryzom Beta (this is just the beta, keep in mind the final could be different, I wouldn't bet on it, though).

Anarchy Online  (My experience is from the beginning, when it was broken.  It could be different now, and from what I have read it is much better, but I won't play it ever again, so it is on my list).

World War II Online  (Same as Anarchy Online above, I played for months in the beginning when features were promised that never made it into the game, things were buggy and broken, and I felt cheated, althought the game was playable and sometimes fun, I would not play it again.)

Shadowbane  (I played through the beta, I simply didn't like this game.  All my opinion, but you may like it).

Asheron's Call  (Everquest is better)

That's about it.  These are games I would never play again after playing them for a good amount of time to begin with.  They either had problems, or there maybe was another game that came along that was better.  Ultimately, it is up to YOU to decide what to play and what not to play, don't take my opinions that seriously. 

• //\//\oo//\//\oo Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 2,767

My enumeration from worst to best (least crappiest)

The utter crap of MMORPG: RAGNAROK ONLINE

A not so utter, yet still fpos MMORPG: Everquest in any shape and form 

A seemingly piece of what could be crap: Asherons call 2

No, not really:  DAOC

Nice try, better luck next time: AO

When is WoW being released again?: AO SL

I've had my shot at all of the above. Don't take my word for it regarding ragnarok though, you have to play it to believe it.

//\//\00 (oVV

This is a sequence of characters intended to produce some profound mental effect, but it has failed.

• metagruenmetagruen Member Posts: 9

Everytime I visit forums it seems that everyone is ranting at HORIZONS.

1. while it might be true that the current game is just a ruin of the former expectations (I didn't folow the story from beginning to date) you can only judge WHAT YOU GET and not WHAT YOU WANT TO GET.
    I played the free trial and since amazon has very good offer this week (only 9.99 Euro for the whole game) I decided to buy the game.

Truely, I have never played a MMORPG that made such fun in the first three days than HORIZONS. Iplayed the free Trial of DAoC and I thought it sucked. it didnt look good and the gameplay was't that good either. I know that the realm vs realm fights are fun, but I didnt see that.

There is a lot of effort going into HORIZONS in th epast few weeks and I hope they are still working on it, since this game has some elements I am still missing in other games.

Sure, if you don't like crafting....you will n

• SirRockySirRocky Member Posts: 3

Initially I would've agreed with any negative comments about Planetside and SWG, I beta tested both, and both had serious issues in beta.  I played SWG on release, and still play it to this day.  So, a couple comments:

Planetside - Beta was aweful, constantly losing connection, lag was a major problem.  I didn't play it on release, but from what I've heard/read recently about it, it is one of the better mmorpgs right now.  SOE did a complete overhaul and essentially fixed the game.  Can't comment first-hand, but I wouldn't add it to a do not play list... it certainly merits a trial, if you like first person shooters.

Star Wars Galaxies - Beta had a lot of bugs, and some when fixed after release, caused more bugs.  I played the game for about 4 or 5 months, then stopped for a couple months.  Just recently I came back to play again.  SOE has been adding more content each month, and although some people fly through the content the minute it's put up, recent additions are harder and harder to get through without grouping and a decent amount of time.  Some of the major issues with the game have been balancing and grinding.  Although both are still issues, they are both being addressed.  SOE is overhauling the entire combat and professions system and from what I've been hearing and seeing in test servers and from player correspondants (developer go-betweens), the changes should take care of most of the balancing problems.  As far as grinding, essentially everyone was grinding to unlock their Jedi slot.  Well, that's being changed too, and the proposed changes should eliminate the excessive grinding desire.  Bottom line, graphics are great (so long as you have a computer that can take advantage of them), lag/connection issues are minimal, content is always being added, good content at that, universe is big with plenty to explore, tons of features including vehicles, creature mounts, housing, owning bases, etc.  Downfalls - released too early with many problems, customer service is lacking, occasional long waits at shuttles. 

In other words Thoemse, don't knock games just because you don't like the company.  Both games had major issues upon release, but neither are worthy of not even playing.  Of the MMORPGs I've tried, SWG ranks up there (at this point, if you had asked me a month after release, I would've said it was crap and not worth playing, but with the changes and updates it is one of the better MMORPGs around today). 

(*edit* - This is a reply based off one of the posts on the first page.)

• SirRockySirRocky Member Posts: 3

So anyways, my do not play list based off the current state of all of the mmorpgs I've played:

Lineage 2 - In beta right now, being released in a few days.  Lack of customization in character appearance, poor loot system for killing creatures, aweful PvP system (can attack any player by holding down force attack, leads to high lvls attacking newbs for no reason and much griefing.  Idea could work, but needs tweaking or possibly a seperate PvP server for that kind of play).  Graphics for characters look decent, but the environment is nothing special.  Lag at character creation screen of all places.  Just one big grind.  Poor creature difficulty system.  Poor controls.  Ugly interface.

Earth and Beyond  - Good concept, had real potential.... just kind of not worth the money.  Best thing about it was the 5 day trial for 5 bucks.  Tried it, played for 5 days, realized that it wasn't worth it.  If you are really into space games go for it, but I was disapointed.

Ragnarok Online - Did the trial for this one, played it twice I think.  Poor controls, poor graphics, lag issues.  Not much more to say, I didn't find anything good about this game except exiting it.

Fung Wan Online - Beta tested this one, think it's still in beta.  Another I played twice and then stopped..... I feel bad for the developers of this one.  Poor graphics, very bad lag (servers were in Sydney, I am in the U.S.), very bad interface - I think the worst I've seen yet, Lack of customization on characters, poor controls.

Games I'd say try if you are interested, but don't get your hopes up:

Horizons - Played this for a month.  If you like crafting, go for it.  Combat isn't fun, no PvP when I played it.  Graphics were mediocre.  Dragons walk funny.  I liked the idea of being a dragon and being able to fly, but not enough to keep me playing.  Housing system and buying a plot and being able to place many different types of structures had potential.  I think at the time I played there was no furniture.  Crafting system was very expansive, but somewhat tedious.  Good choice of player races I thought.  Also developers had a sense of humor (one quest was to get material to make special pants, guy's dialog for the quest was actually based off of a South Park episode (the Underpants Gnomes episode)).  This game has potential, give it a year, and it might be worthwhile.

Sims Online - Seemed like a cheap trick to try to charge sims fans more money to play.  Essentially it was multiplayer of the sims, but because the single player Sims had many expansions being released and in light of the future release of the Sims 2, no real reason to play this unless you want to play the Sims with a built in chat room.  Was fun for a bit, but IMO, if you like the Sims, wait for the Sims 2 to come out and save your money. 

Planetside - I only beta tested this one, and as I said previously in one of my posts, it was aweful in beta, but from people who play it now, it seems to have improved.  If you like FPS games, give it a shot, but honestly, you might as well play Unreal or Tribes and just play multiplayer, it's cheaper in the long run.

There - essentially a pay per month online chat room.  You create an avatar, lots of choices, You buy clothing, pets, vehicles, toys, etc. (using real money to buy game money).  I'd have to say, when I played this is Beta it was fun.  Lots of things to fool around with, but like the Sims Online, it was essentially a chat room.  If you have friends who play, it can be fun, but it certainly is not worth paying a monthly fee for.

Games I'd recommend:

Star Wars Galaxies - Great graphics, lots of choice in classes/professions, ability to change profession at will, ability to dabble in many professions at once, player cities, houses, guild halls, extensive crafting system that actually is fun and not as much of a grind as some other games.  Combat is more interactive.  Problems - balancing, grinding, early release.  Give this one a half a year and I'd say it will top the charts if they keep updating the way they've been doing the past few months.  If the space expansion is done well, this game will be #1.  One of the biggest problems is the lack of good customer support, and the griefers/exploiters/plain out <insert bad word about some players here>.

Dark Age of Camelot - All around good game.  Graphics were good, I played during the first expansion, Shrouded Isles (I think.  Fun game to play, decent content, some issues of people camping.  Biggest problems.... between lvls 35-49 you aren't much use in PvP (earlier levels have a seperate pvp area closed to outside lvls).  Grind gets real long after lvl 35.  Either you spends days soloing trying to lvl, or you spend days trying to get an advanced group to take you through a hard area at lvls 40+.  I made it to lvl 42 and then stopped because I got sick of killing hundreds of creatures for about 5% of my leveling experience.  Grouping was fun if you had a good group.  Best thing.... PvP was alot of fun if you were good enough, the PvP dungeon was cool, and the rewards for PvP and controlling keeps was good incentive.

• heromsheroms Member Posts: 9

um..you guys forgot runescape the most ugliest game i ever seen so yeah dont play it...unless you are really poor and can't afford a normal game and you want to play a dumb 2D game with dumb graphics and  the controls are stupid...

conclusion: RUNESCAPE  SUKS! image

no good MMORPG games are free ;)

no good MMORPG games are free ;)

• SeravajanSeravajan Member UncommonPosts: 192

I rate
    * AC2 (I played only the Beta but I left it due conceptional mistakes like crafting or mob balances)
    * Everquest (lvl 51+ grinding sux)
    * DAoC (Crafting sux)
    * SWG (getting boring too fast)
    * Fung Wan Online (Not casual player friendly)
    * Wish (Login worked only 3 times of 100 attempts)
    * Shadowbane (Class balancing sux)
    as bad.

I know about the tragedy with Horizons.
    It is absolutely no longer that game as ist was planned several years ago.
    But at least it have still some nice ideas.

I'm waiting for Darkfall or Dark & Light.

Betatested:

AC2
    Lords of Everquest
    Horizons
    Fung Wan Online
    Wish

Played:

EQ
    DAoC
    Horizons
    SWG
    Shadowbane

• SpectacleSpectacle Member Posts: 2

I would also like to add the euro version of jumpgate(Mightygames) to the "do not play" list.

Just because it is more like cearbears in space with a ton of scrict rules.. If the EU GMs do take out the no civ ripping in reg space, then the server would be over populated by pirates.

The'll just ban you for something that happens in-game.

• GnarledGnarled Member Posts: 566

Heh. I like that some people put EQ on their list. That's like putting the bible or the encyclopedia on your "do not read" list. Good work, mongoloids.

"I can tell you with no ego, this is my finest sword. If, on your journey, you should encounter God. . .
    . . . God will be cut."
    - Quentin Tarantino, Kill Bill

EQII
    Requiiem, Templar
    Neriak

• loreofchaosloreofchaos Member Posts: 316

Originally posted by Gnarled

Heh. I like that some people put EQ on their list. That's like putting the bible or the encyclopedia on your "do not read" list. Good work, mongoloids.

"I can tell you with no ego, this is my finest sword. If, on your journey, you should encounter God. . .
    . . . God will be cut."

wow there pal calm down on the put downs if its there choice its theres

a job of a lorer is to preach the history of chaos with out the lorer of chaos all would be in chaos

Take a deep drink of your demon Lad, tonight we tangle with the fire in the gut.

• GnarledGnarled Member Posts: 566

Umm yeah sure. Just like some people choose to burn books, or beat their wives, or do heroin. Doesn't mean I don't reserve the right to call them mongoloids.

. . . God will be cut."

EQII
    Requiiem, Templar
    Neriak

• ArleonenisArleonenis Member Posts: 69

I had three games in mind:

-Ryzom - i writed long reply on topic about this game so dont will write again, its awfull, starting on graphic, through gameplay and interface finishing on technical problems (great ones)

-Lineage 2 - beautifull graphic, its great fun from the begining, but it start boring very fast, how long you could mindlesly slay same monsters over and over? Comunity in game is a nightmare, lot af grifers, on 100 players 5-10 is normal rest are grifers, technical difficulties like great lag in cities and in combat where few players fight with mobs, cant imagine full scale battles (lag party, game will look like screenshots show),
    simply boring becouse lack of content, killing 10000 mobs to lvl up? give me a break;) its only for hardcore players that want only slash slash slash

-Earth&Beyond - lack of content, game looks awfull: purple spaceship (colour is customizable), nothing even pretend to be realistic, its great game for young kids, after exploring simple mobs killing, and mobs are... khem khem living creatures looking like fish in space khem khem wings in space khem khem and more

There are lots of nice games (from short playing to long adventure with game but this is post about bad ones so i want mention them:)

• Smelly_ArmorSmelly_Armor Member UncommonPosts: 571

Originally posted by Arleonenis

I had three games in mind:
    -Ryzom - i writed long reply on topic about this game so dont will write again, its awfull, starting on graphic, through gameplay and interface finishing on technical problems (great ones)
    -Lineage 2 - beautifull graphic, its great fun from the begining, but it start boring very fast, how long you could mindlesly slay same monsters over and over? Comunity in game is a nightmare, lot af grifers, on 100 players 5-10 is normal rest are grifers, technical difficulties like great lag in cities and in combat where few players fight with mobs, cant imagine full scale battles (lag party, game will look like screenshots show),
    simply boring becouse lack of content, killing 10000 mobs to lvl up? give me a break;) its only for hardcore players that want only slash slash slash
    -Earth&Beyond - lack of content, game looks awfull: purple spaceship (colour is customizable), nothing even pretend to be realistic, its great game for young kids, after exploring simple mobs killing, and mobs are... khem khem living creatures looking like fish in space khem khem wings in space khem khem and more
    There are lots of nice games (from short playing to long adventure with game but this is post about bad ones so i want mention them:)

I agree with you on L2, haven't played Earth&Beyond, but Ryzom doesn't fall into this list. SoR is not even out of open beta, and its open beta is more beta than "open". Ryzom is still, probably, at least 3 to 4 months away from official release, if that soon. You do have a right to your opinion and all, but maybe you should try it out again after the game is a much more complete and finished product image.