Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How to get started with crafting ships.

Ghostface313Ghostface313 Member Posts: 18

I have just startedplaying EVE and have decided to try being a ship crafter. But the problem is, I dont know how.

What skills/attributes are best for crafting, what items are needed for it, how is it done, etc?

basicly just need a guide to crafting.

Ty

Comments

• MondeMonde Member Posts: 133
    Can't remember exactly where but there is a very good crafting link on the Eve's official forum. Think it is stickied.
  • eowetheoweth Member Posts: 273

This link shows the basic process of building an item:

http://www.kylania.com/eve/build.php

For ships you'll definitely need Production Efficiency V trained and a very good and very cheap source of minerals. You'll also want a moderately high ML on your Blueprint, which can takes weeks to research. (10-15 or so is usually good.)

Also remember that some ship prices you see on the market will be well below what it costs you to make them, so don't try to compete with those sellers in that region.

• LeJohnLeJohn Member Posts: 313
    Originally posted by Ghostface313

I have just startedplaying EVE and have decided to try being a ship crafter. But the problem is, I dont know how.
    What skills/attributes are best for crafting, what items are needed for it, how is it done, etc?
    basicly just need a guide to crafting.
    Ty

The guide ewoth linked to is a good start.

Ok to build ships you need 3 things.

1. A  blue print, these come in 2 flavors the BPO (original) which allows you to build ships for ever and the limited run BPC (copy) which only lets you build as many ships as the copie is licenced for.

BPOs are typically 10x more expensive than the ship costs so if a ship cost 500lk to buy then the BPO will cost 5mil isk.  while a BPC 5 runs will cost between 100k and 200k.   The point here is that if you search the contracts long enough you can buy 2 five run copies and build the 10 ships that give you the ISK to buy the BPO.

2. Minerals, all T1 (tech 1) use commen minerals  only requiring a little rare (meg/jed) minerals to build the ships while T2 ships require uncommen minerals. The main thing here is the availability of the minerals. You will find it hard to buy the minerals to buyld any T1 ship for profit so the really the first thing to do is get in with a mining/corp or train up to a barge and mine the minerals yourself. then all the cost of ship building is your time.

3. Location, location, location.  Seriously depending on what ship type you are going to be building the location means everything (with jita being the exception) Frigs and destroyers will sell better near starter systems than near low sec systems.  Unless you plan on delivering the ships you want to be with 3 jumps of your ships' market.  Also you need to find a base that offers good refining and building.  Look at the bases info and if the refine is 50% loss dont use that base to refine.  There are other things that come into play like your standing to the base's corp but the best advice for now is to research the area you want to be and try to find a base that offers at both refine and building options at 60+. If no base will serve then try and find a build base and a refine base in the same system so your not spending too much time transfering mins. Note: if you have access to a freighter then this point is moot.

The rest is up to you.  I know ppl people that build ships and freight them 12 jumps for the proffit but just starting out you need to do your location research. 

Originally posted by LeJohn

Also you need to find a base that offers good refining and building.  Look at the bases info and if the refine is 50% loss dont use that base to refine.  There are other things that come into play like your standing to the base's corp but the best advice for now is to research the area you want to be and try to find a base that offers at both refine and building options at 60+.

I thought all bases in empire offered 50% refine which then could go up or down based on faction standing. POS offered 35% and then based on Faction standing.

Am I incorrect? If so i just wasted a hell of a lot of training Refining and Refining Efficiency.

• NicoliNicoli Member Posts: 1,312
    your right Monde, 50% is the best for factory refine then the rest is based on refining efficency. Faction standings effect how much will be taken as tax.
    Originally posted by Nicoli

your right Monde, 50% is the best for factory refine then the rest is based on refining efficency. Faction standings effect how much will be taken as tax.

Thank Goodness for that. Got worried I was working off incorrect information.

Thanks Nicoli

• CptDogtoffeeCptDogtoffee Member Posts: 17

Other skills that haven't had a mention are your trade skills.

Unless you are building to order, trade skills such as marketing will enable you to effectively manage the sales of your ships much more effectively while other skills such as broker relations/accounting will reduce the broker commission/tax paid allowing you to maximise profit/reduce cost.

All little things but they can make sure you can act promptly and price accordingly.

Originally posted by Monde

Originally posted by LeJohn

Also you need to find a base that offers good refining and building.  Look at the bases info and if the refine is 50% loss dont use that base to refine.  There are other things that come into play like your standing to the base's corp but the best advice for now is to research the area you want to be and try to find a base that offers at both refine and building options at 60+.

I thought all bases in empire offered 50% refine which then could go up or down based on faction standing. POS offered 35% and then based on Faction standing.

Am I incorrect? If so i just wasted a hell of a lot of training Refining and Refining Efficiency.

Ok, to clarfy...  Look for a station that you and your corp have a good rateing with, if you do not have a good rating then you will be at 50%.  Also training the social skllls (and running some missions for a corp) can kick you up to 90%.   There are some NPC corps that are "allies" with your NPC corp so they will automatically have a rate of 60% (adjusted because you are in the npc corp) so look for those.

• ArcticblueArcticblue Member Posts: 270

As being stated you need blueprint original or a copy.. copies are made from originals... and by players.

you will need minerals and a station with factory slot in them, in addition to some skills.

Skills for a production character could be something like:

Industry, Production efficiency and Mass production that should cover the ship/equipment part of production...

In addition if you want to refine minerals and such you need some more skills ofcourse.

There is also a Advanced Mass Production skill but without it you can have 5 slots running at the same time (Mass production lvl 5).

Now when you have produced something it is important to first before you even think of building something to check what can you make from one thing.

For example it can be wise to make a excel sheet where you feed in productioncost so you can see what minimum saleprice need to be. There might be times where minerals sells for more than what you can produce a ship for ... so in other word the minerals is worth more selling than using to producing.

I have experienced in my time as a producer that someone was selling Thoraxes for like 6.1 million isk each, my productioncost for one Thorax was 6 million isk ... in other word this person selling them for 6.1 was loosing isk, I got perfect buildingskills and my bpo (thorax) is very good, infact if I choose to research it more it would not give much to save for me.

Mind you this came to the fact that I bought all my minerals on the market, so it is quite possible that he had cheaper minerals from buyorders... that is the only thing that could make him make cheaper ships than me.

And one important thing to remember... mining ore does not mean you have that mineral for free !!!! you spend quite abit of time mining and that time is costing you isk !!!!! I suspect alot of productionnewbies does consider mined minerals as free ore and thinking they actually earn 6 million isk when selling a Thorax for that.

Originally posted by Arcticblue
    And one important thing to remember... mining ore does not mean you have that mineral for free !!!! you spend quite abit of time mining and that time is costing you isk !!!!! I suspect alot of productionnewbies does consider mined minerals as free ore and thinking they actually earn 6 million isk when selling a Thorax for that.

This part is very important because it goes back to what price you put on your time and your mining abilities, refining abilities and equipment.

For example if you are only playing EVE and trying to mine in an indy then you could actually loose ISK because of the time >min ratios but if you:

A. join a good mining guild that does group mines with even splits, (the hauler gets the same split as the miners) then the minerals become very inexpensive. After a point, building ships are almost all profit.  Keep in mind that after the 10th ship you sold the BPO is paid for, and if you are mining/hauling anyway for the fun of it then the 11th ship's cost is really nothing more than the cost of the rares. Typically you will not be mining rear ores but common so you will have to buy meg and zyd.  Because you are mining anyway then the cost of your ship is the rares+factory rental.  Now this is only true if your intention is to mine and build, that is that you intend to play EVE that way.  

B. Mine while doing other things then really mining is costing you nothing so all the mins are profit.  For example, On my main system I have will have a barge mining (EVE windowed) and be playing WOW while on the second system or laptop I will have A second barge mining/hauling. So realistically I am actually Playing WOW and mining/hauling in the back ground, or I may be watching a movie the laptop and using the other system to mine.   One of the great thing about EVE is that it can be easily played while doing other things so realistically mining is all profit as it's not the main thing you.   Using this example you can easily have huge profits as your only cost is again what little rares you need and the cost of the factory.

Argg... needed to spell check

I have a different belief than this. If I take the profit I would make by selling the mineral and the profit I would make selling Crafted goods. Then look at which is higher. If the goods are higher then sell the goods if the Crafted Item is higher (minus factory costs) then make and sell the items.

The Ore is free but the Profit is Crafted item Vs Ore selling cost

• ArcticblueArcticblue Member Posts: 270

Well I do that too... if the ore or minerals are worth more than what I could sell the ships for then ofcourse I would sell the minerals instead.

However the ore is not free because you spend time sitting in the belt mining and as we know ... time is money .

However the ore is not free because you spend time sitting in the belt mining and as we know ... time is money .

Time is also the only thing you cannot get back once lost ;)

I usually spend the time talking to corp mates (Swearing at the haulers for bumping me etc) so I don't mind the time. When I am alone though then it can be boring.

• lowradslowrads Member UncommonPosts: 200
    Well pricing is irrelevant mostly.  Another buyer will sort you out quick if you disagree! [img]http://img413.imageshack.us/img413/7899/richad3.gif[/img]

This is my really simplified guide to producing T1 stuff and ships.

-T1 ships above Frigates have very low marginal gains.  However, if you enjoy mining ore for whatever reason, and you want to move a lot of it (more labor => more net isk) then build larger ships.  Hopefully you're not in it for isk.

-Modules are where the high margin gains are.  You can build it for <5k and sell it for >100k in some places, particularly 0.0 and sometimes lowsec.

-The first task you need to accomplish is finding an available research facility with reasonable wait times.  I know a few spots with 0 wait time, and no, I won't tell you where they are.

-Other than that, building is pretty simple aside from figuring out the logistics of safely getting your minerals to where you bpo is located.

Intermediate Suggestions:

-When you analyze a local market for a particular product, look at the gross units sold in that region for, say, a month.  That gives you a pretty good idea of the demand in that region if there are still open sell orders in that region.  -- Now multiply that number by the average sales price.  That gives you the total market return in that region (subtracting for the base worth of materials).  You will swiftly see that the number is usually depressingly low, especially when you divide it among the active sellers.  Used to be you could see where sell orders were distributed on the map, but that was nerfed.

-In empire, you will mostly make diddly.  Most sales cluster in hubs, or near popular agents.  In particular, Caldari agents, as they are the most popular.  In your name looker-upper-tool.  Type in caldari, and open the show info.   (You can also right click on the nearest popular station.)  You'll notice npc corps listed, and within them, their agents along with their systems.  The high end LIII and LIV agents will be camped by your standard ex-wow npc grinder tards that will usually offload or refine their loot to declutter their inventories.  They don't buy much besides ammo, but they offload all kinds of stuff for traders and manufacturers.  NPCers probably churn out more goods than manufacturers probably.  It's retarded, but that's the way it is. 

Advanced Suggestions:

-My strongest advice is to find a few popular items, and identify who else is selling them.  Then war dec them, and kill them until they run away.  Alternately, you can try and offer some isk to someone else who likes getting their hands dirty if you do most of the scout work.  (Scout work involves parking your ship in a convenient place near to your enemy and being ganged with the person who has a Concord sanctioned war. Cloaking and probes help, but that's another guide.)

If you are careful, selective about your targets, and secretive, you might even be able to get just the CEO of the target corp to fail, and connive to bring the miners (slaves that don't know it) into your own corp (or an affiliated one) and get a margin of their ore that way through some scheme or another.  Whatever breaks up any mining workers that don't have enough competition to keep their prices low really.

If for some reason that seems like too much effort, you can just grind npcs and become a consumer of whatever you want.  Works for most folks.