Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

New to WoW

Hi, im just trying out a trial version of WoW and atm am downloading the client and was wondering a few things.

Im really into PvP so here are my Questions.

1) Whats the best server for PvP?

2) What is a good starting character for PvP (although I dont like the sound of rogues, and im into the whole magical wizzards thing)

3) what is the best faction to start in for me ? (not the most over populated or even most dominant..I like being an under dog)

4) and finaly after reading counless posts on the official WoW boards wth does Twinked mean..lol.

I have 30 mins of DL'ing left before I start playing and im really excited and cant wait to get into it :)

Thanks for your time, AT.

PS: I've just finished playing CoH (over 2 years) cause I got board of the crashing and numerous bugs, whats WoW like for bugs and lag?

Comments

• PyritePyrite Member Posts: 309

Originally posted by Aphex_Twin

2) What is a good starting character for PvP (although I dont like the sound of rogues, and im into the whole magical wizzards thing)

3) what is the best faction to start in for me ? (not the most over populated or even most dominant..I like being an under dog)

4) and finaly after reading counless posts on the official WoW boards wth does Twinked mean..lol.

PS: I've just finished playing CoH (over 2 years) cause I got board of the crashing and numerous bugs, whats WoW like for bugs and lag?

1) Any PvP server should be fine. I'd suggest picking one in your own time zone. When you log in just compare the game clock to your local time.

2) Well, i'm thinking you'd like either a mage or a warlock. Mages are consistently one of the highest damage dealers in the game. Warlocks use more indirect attacks such as DoTs and pets.

3) Generally horde are on the down side of server populations in most cases. If you want to get more info about a particular realm you should read the realm specific forums on worldofwarcraft.com

4) Twinked charcters are PvP characters with the absolute best gear and enchantments available for thier level. This is usually achieved by having much higher level characters farm for gear and provide enchants.

PS: For the most part WoW is very stable. The only time the servers are down for any lenght of time is on tuesday mornings for weekly maintenence. However, if you use a lot of addons or mods it can create more problems than the base client is prone to.

The official WoW forums now have a new to WoW section that can be very informative. Good luck and welcome to the community. ;>

The most important part of reading is reading between the lines.

• Aphex_TwinAphex_Twin Member Posts: 3
    Originally posted by Pyrite

1) Any PvP server should be fine. I'd suggest picking one in your own time zone. When you log in just compare the game clock to your local time.

2) Well, i'm thinking you'd like either a mage or a warlock. Mages are consistently one of the highest damage dealers in the game. Warlocks use more indirect attacks such as DoTs and pets.

3) Generally horde are on the down side of server populations in most cases. If you want to get more info about a particular realm you should read the realm specific forums on worldofwarcraft.com

4) Twinked charcters are PvP characters with the absolute best gear and enchantments available for thier level. This is usually achieved by having much higher level characters farm for gear and provide enchants.

PS: For the most part WoW is very stable. The only time the servers are down for any lenght of time is on tuesday mornings for weekly maintenence. However, if you use a lot of addons or mods it can create more problems than the base client is prone to.

The official WoW forums now have a new to WoW section that can be very informative. Good luck and welcome to the community. ;>

Thanks for the reply :)

I was thinkng about a warlock so that confirms my thought, and I will check the server times (im in the UK so not sure if there is an unofficial EU server or not).

Good to here that WoW doesn't suffer with lag, on CoH I was at lowest GFX settings and still getting lag

• TookyGTookyG Warhammer Online CorrespondentMember UncommonPosts: 1,115
    Unofficial EU server?  You are aware there are well over 100 EU WoW servers right?

Until you cancel your subscription, you are only helping to continue the cycle of mediocrity.

• keolienkeolien Member Posts: 198

Hi, im just trying out a trial version of WoW and atm am downloading the client and was wondering a few things.

I have 30 mins of DL'ing left before I start playing and im really excited and cant wait to get into it :)

#1 simply choose a pvp server.

#2 Warlocks is about the most over powered Pvp class out there. Rogues are quite fun too

#3 choose your own faction, horde wins WSG and AB but Alliance owns AV

#4 just a character that has had lots of money put into them, lots of enchants, But if your new just run dungeons and get the best gear for your lvl might not be epics but it will do just fine.

• coffeecoffee Member Posts: 2,007
    I recommend joining 1 of the new EU PvP servers that opened last week.

• Karazhan
    • Auchindoun
    • Shattered Halls

No fun joining a server full of lvl 60-70, plus on a new realm the playing population will be around your level so more peeps around to gank or to meet in the battle grounds.  On old servers right now theres very little PvP going on as every 1 is busy leveling to lvl 70.  I have yet to try the new battle ground.

• Aphex_TwinAphex_Twin Member Posts: 3
    Thanks for the info...I have yet to finish downloading patches(over 1gig *sigh*) but when I have I will prolly use one of those servers you mentioned but only if the population is high enough...I have spent enough time on a deserted server on CoH to come here and do the same :) :)
  • iCehiCeh Member UncommonPosts: 884

I play on Dentarg PvP server, it's a pretty good server and from what i hear on the boards, it's much less laggier than most. I've not had a problem with it, except a few server crashes, but they're expected and it's never only Dentarg alone.

As stated above, if you're into the wizard-type stuff go for a Mage or Warlock, both are very much in demand for instances so you should never have a problem getting a group. I recommend you read up about the classes at http://www.wow-europe.com/en/info/classes/index.html if you haven't done so already.

As for Factions, well, they're pretty much balanced in number terms, but i hear the Alliance have a bit of trouble on our server with Battleground Queue times, for us (Horde of course ;)) the queues are instant. If you're going to play Horde as a caster in PvP i'd recommend the Undead, their racial (Will of the Forsaken) is really awesome as it gets you out of fear, sleep, and charm effects. Also you get cannibalise, which is like a bandage that can be also used in combat. Again, check out http://www.wow-europe.com/en/info/races/index.html to pick for yourself.

I've never had any problems about crashing in this game, but then again, i never did in CoH either. :S

Good Luck.

-iCeh

• roadwarriorsroadwarriors Member Posts: 218
    I don't have any advice for you but congradulations. WOW is the best game ever.
  • NierroNierro Member UncommonPosts: 1,755
    Originally posted by roadwarriors

congradulations. WOW is the best game ever.

• hizaruhizaru Member Posts: 8
    have fun playing i didn't like wow whatching it but when i played it it was funner than crap i recomend buying it i did but my computer wouldent work after i got it it wouldnt come on the day i got it lol that sucked bad