Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Computer Problem! Please help!

PonziniPonzini Member UncommonPosts: 506

Alright ive been working on this for a few days and it seems to be a problem people want to avoid because no one has helped me fix this. I just got a new computer recently from Cyber Power PC. I got a Creative Labs X-FI XtremeGamer 24-BIT PCI Sound Card sound card in it and it also has plug ins for the motherboard(MSI 975x Platinum(MS-7246)) audio.

I cannot get my microphone to work at all. I got a few headsets with microphones that I know work and have tried them both. I have searched all over for different solutions. I set my recording device to microphone (checked the box) set it up past half way. My regular sound works fine, its just the mic.

Right now in Control Panel > Sounds and Audio Devices > Audio Tab it shows the X-Fi as my recording and playback device. I want to try my motherboard audio but it doesnt list it on there. Right now im ready to say forget the X-Fi card and use my motherboard's audio but I cant get it to show up as an option. I tried downloading some drivers but I dont know if they were the right ones.

I tried reinstalling the drivers for the X-Fi already and I have little idea what to do now. I dont want to be stuck with a computer that cant use a mic. Especially when it should be such a simple thing. Any help is greatly appreciated.

This is some info about my motherboard audio which means little to me:

Audio

High Definition link controller integrated in Intel ICH7DH chip
Audio codec Realtek 882M
Compliance with Azalia 1.0 spec
Support Universal Audio Jack (only Front Audio Jack)

I would be fine using my motherboard's audio if I could just get it to work.

Comments

• atrejuatreju Member Posts: 60
    Originally posted by Ponzini

Audio

High Definition link controller integrated in Intel ICH7DH chip

Audio codec Realtek 882M

Compliance with Azalia 1.0 spec

Support Universal Audio Jack (only Front Audio Jack)

I would be fine using my motherboard's audio if I could just get it to work.
    Mh, I guess if you ressurect your mb's audio chip it will start to conflict with your soundblaster.

Do you know if it could be the software what's making troubles? What are you using?

You could try if you can hear anything if you uncheck the box of your mic in the volume menu. If that doesnt work it's most likely a hardware problem, if so go to your control panel, click System and check your hardware manager, look if it's showing conflicts with the soundcard. You can see that if there are these a little yellow exclamation marks showing up.

If you got a hardware conflict, browse for he CreativeLabs website and grab a new driver for your device, then go  into your hardware manager, rightclick the soundblaster chose the option to update the driver and update it... but most likely you will just have to execute the file you downloaded from CreativeLabs to update your driver.

Now if that wont work you could try updating the drivers for your chipset, I guess you got an Nvidia motherboard but I cant know...

Good luck with that.

• GruntyGrunty Member EpicPosts: 8,657

The following is for Windows 2000. Windows XP shouldn't be too much different.

Start>Programs>Accessories>Entertainment>Volume Control. Check to make sure the Line-In is not muted by check box.

"I used to think the worst thing in life was to be all alone.  It's not.  The worst thing in life is to end up with people who make you feel all alone."  Robin Williams