Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

EQ2 or Vanguard

13»

Comments

• Nikoz78Nikoz78 Member UncommonPosts: 910
    Originally posted by WARCRYtm

Help me to choose the more in dept game.
    Wath do you think is the best game.
     And state why please.
    Thx
    That's easy. Reposted from another thread asking the same question.

The game you are looking for is Vanguard.

*No zones. Just 1 huge open world in Vanguard. EQ2 has a zone every 5-10 min. and the maps are very tiny.

*Player placed houses. In EQ2 your home is an instanced zone. That means 50 people will be zoning  into your front door to their house.

*You can't drop items in your house in EQ2. Just static furniture that you can't even interact with. In Vanguard there are literally over 60,000 items in the world already and every single item can be dropped in your house like in SWG.

*Vanguard features the "you can go anywhere" mentality. If you see it you can go there. In EQ2 you can't climb mountains, etc.

*When you chop down a tree for wood the tree actually falls to the ground where you can then harvest it.

*Vanguard has sea travel! Huge open oceans to travel upon with your player-made boats of all sizes.

*You can tame wild beasts and mount them. In EQ2 you can fly a bird on a set path (rail), in Vanguard you can fly mounts anywhere!

I could go on for days. Head to www.joinvanguard.com/  &  www.vanguardsoh.com/ to find out more. Be sure to read the FAQ at the second link.

I miss the good ol' days when nerds were actually intelligent.

• FluteFlute Member UncommonPosts: 455
    I would say Vanguard - but not just yet, play something else for a month or two while they frantically patch to bring Vanguard up to what it should have been at launch; they released too early. 

EQ2 is good for your first character, but can quickly get very repetitive and just feels so scripted.  The crafted items in EQ2 always seemed radically inferior to loot drops too, so if you like crafting don't play EQ2, it's just too dishearting (this from an ex level 60 smith - sure you can make nice armour with rare ores, but it's still junk next to the looted stuff). 

Vanguard has a lot of freedom, huge potential, but unfortunately at the moment there are way too many bugs for my tastes just atm, although they are doing a lot of work to fix things so a couple of months it should be far better.

Flute.
  • boognish75boognish75 Member UncommonPosts: 1,540
    play em both, no use making a troll post to get flamed at.

playing eq2 and two worlds

• KalmarthKalmarth Member Posts: 443
    I went back to EQ2 after playing at launch and leaving after a year, it is very diffrent, they have really worked out all the bug from the game and its is a great game to play, Vanguard is to new with to many bugs right now, I'm not a Vanguard fan after beta in it so I won't flame it.
  • takaris7takaris7 Member Posts: 145
    Originally posted by Nikoz78

Originally posted by WARCRYtm

Help me to choose the more in dept game.
    Wath do you think is the best game.
     And state why please.
    Thx

*No zones. Just 1 huge open world in Vanguard. EQ2 has a zone every 5-10 min. and the maps are very tiny.

*Player placed houses. In EQ2 your home is an instanced zone. That means 50 people will be zoning  into your front door to their house.

*You can't drop items in your house in EQ2. Just static furniture that you can't even interact with. In Vanguard there are literally over 60,000 items in the world already and every single item can be dropped in your house like in SWG.

*Vanguard features the "you can go anywhere" mentality. If you see it you can go there. In EQ2 you can't climb mountains, etc.

*When you chop down a tree for wood the tree actually falls to the ground where you can then harvest it.

*Vanguard has sea travel! Huge open oceans to travel upon with your player-made boats of all sizes.

*You can tame wild beasts and mount them. In EQ2 you can fly a bird on a set path (rail), in Vanguard you can fly mounts anywhere!

I could go on for days. Head to www.joinvanguard.com/  &  www.vanguardsoh.com/ to find out more. Be sure to read the FAQ at the second link.

Actually I like both games ... My guild is in Eq2 so they will not be leaving for awile until they get bored. Vanguard has alot of things that i have been looking for....freedom being one of them .... EQ2 has a better character creation system ... only thing im missing right now.

I have station pass so i dont have to decide. Only thing i have to figure is how much time to spend on each.

• bouncingsoulbouncingsoul Member Posts: 211
    Originally posted by coffee

Make a toon on EQ2 and you'll be playing with elite guys that have seen and done it all.

................yeah. Especially the people you'll meet leveling in Greater Faydark which belongs to the ALL NEW CONTINENT known as Faydwer.

*sigh*

Make a Wood Elf, Gnome, Dwarf, High Elf, or a Fae and start in Kelethin and I'll bet you it feels like a whole new game considering the expansion has only been out a few months and people join daily. Plus, EQ2 has 2 years under it's belt going through the changes Vanguard will inevitably go through sooner or later.
  • AutemOxAutemOx Member Posts: 1,704

I think Vanguard is going through a lot of the same problems that EQII had.  People on this site flame it a lot just because its the new SoE game, but that doesnt really make the game good or bad, it just starts a lot of foolish posts about Vanguard. 

Vanguard was released unpolished, plenty of bugs, and with system specs way too high for most gamers...  That is what reminds me of EQII's launch a bit.  EQII didnt really do wonderfully at launch, and I dont think Vanguard is either, but just like EQII had, VG has potential, and hopefully it will grow into that potential as EQII has.   

If you can handle the bugs and you want to try a mmorpg that is different, interesting, and challenging then VG is probably a good choice.  EQII has really been broken in now though, so at the moment I would say its probably 'the better game'.  Starting VG now is probably a good idea though, its great to get started when the community is young and the other players are all figuring things out for the first time as well.  I suppose it depends on what type of person you are, but I am not one of those people who say "I'll look at this game in 6 months, meanwhile I'll spend all my time in this other mmorpg!".  I just cant do that, I like to get comfortable with a game, and for me starting the game when it first releases is part of that experience.

On the other hand, I havent even seen any glitches or bugs in Vanguard yet (except for the lack of fellowships and sometimes monsters walk backwards), so maybe I am biased because my compie is seeming very compatiable with this game.  I mean, if VG wouldnt load up for me or something I would probably be flaming it right now  

Play as your fav retro characters: cnd-online.net. My site: www.lysle.net. Blog: creatingaworld.blogspot.com.

• tharkthark Member UncommonPosts: 1,188
    Originally posted by Nikoz78

1. No zones in Vanguard but in EQ2..Well this is correct, but you forget to mention that the zones in EQ2 is far more detailed and handcrafted and interessting than in Vanguard.. And tiny..? Well some zones is certainly not tiny. plus the gameplay is more fluid thanks to this

2 .You cant drop items in your house ..Well..this is certainly not correct and never has been either.  There is by now tons of interactivable items that you can furniture your apartments or houses with..This is just a rumour and false. What you cant drop is your own loot, but even that is now fixed to the inhousing vaults.

3. Go where you like, here you are partly right..there are certain places you cant go, swim or climb certain mountains, ..Now you claim that this is a good feature to be able to go where you cant go , how can a horse glimb the highest of mountains for example, just redicoulous and not needed at all. However in EQ 2 they introduced a special climbing feature that really climbs with your characther to places of interesst.

4 Chop down a tree, Well..Even thou I agree that this is a nice feature, hardly groundbreaking thou..and only counts for special trees, not all of them..EQ2 uses fallen logs..

5. Tame wild beast etc, fly on paths..There is mounts in EQ2(free rideable mounts) flying carpets and horses, but also these fast travel things you mention(but that isnt the same thing)

The poster has most likely very limited time with EQ2 or he chooses to NOT  tell about certain things in EQ2 in favor of Vanguard..EQ2 is by far "TODAY" the better game this isnt even a matter of personal taste(IMHO), that not to say Vanguard cant be great in the future..

• wyzwunwyzwun Member Posts: 328
    Originally posted by End_of_a_era

EQ2
    Vanguards combat looks like this throughout (playedd till 25 even tho this is lvl 1) http://media.putfile.com/WOAHVANGUARD

The combat is that boring, im sorry but compared to games like LotrO vangaurd is just funny.

To be serious, what U2 song is that?

Rites of the Four Horsemen
    http://www.rotfh.com

• EiaeEiae Member Posts: 61

EQ2

Vanguard is still in beta, don't waste money on it.

• PraxusPraxus Member Posts: 266
    Vanguard kicks the crap out of EQ2. IMO EQ2 is not worthy of carrying the EQ name.

I played EQ2 the first year, up to the level cap. Was unhappy with:

- most of the loot drops in dungeons were 'red' hence unusable at the level you were at when they dropped

- WTF is with killing raid mobs and getting wooden boxes full of crap? Hours spent on raids for no reward? I've never

seen a more retarded loot system for raid encounters. Granted my experience ends at Tier 5 and some Tier 6.

- attunement - what a contrived mechanic. But hey lets keep crafters happy, no matter if it screws adventurers

- locked encounters. Yet another contrived mechanic to satisfy the whiners who scream mommy because they got ksed one time in EQ.

- instances. Nice way to ruin community in game.

- populating the exact same zone with different mobs and calling it a different zone.  So cheesy. Its real immersive to get to a dungeon and then get a menu of which rehashed version of the zone you want to enter.

- constant zoning and load times. Gets old fast.

- another reason community sucks is everyone idles in their instanced housing, instead of being together in the same game world.

Since Vanguard has none of the above issues and is fun to play, I consider it a much better game.
  • lomillerlomiller Member Posts: 1,810
    Originally posted by Praxus

Vanguard kicks the crap out of EQ2. IMO EQ2 is not worthy of carrying the EQ name.

I played EQ2 the first year, up to the level cap. Was unhappy with:

- most of the loot drops in dungeons were 'red' hence unusable at the level you were at when they dropped

- WTF is with killing raid mobs and getting wooden boxes full of crap? Hours spent on raids for no reward? I've never

seen a more retarded loot system for raid encounters. Granted my experience ends at Tier 5 and some Tier 6.

- attunement - what a contrived mechanic. But hey lets keep crafters happy, no matter if it screws adventurers

- locked encounters. Yet another contrived mechanic to satisfy the whiners who scream mommy because they got ksed one time in EQ.

- instances. Nice way to ruin community in game.

- populating the exact same zone with different mobs and calling it a different zone.  So cheesy. Its real immersive to get to a dungeon and then get a menu of which rehashed version of the zone you want to enter.

- constant zoning and load times. Gets old fast.

- another reason community sucks is everyone idles in their instanced housing, instead of being together in the same game world.

Since Vanguard has none of the above issues and is fun to play, I consider it a much better game.

- The only place where mobs ever dropped items people couldn’t use was in RoV, a 25-35 dungeon where some of the mobs in the 20’s had loot tables that belonged with the mobs in the 30’s. This was fixed not to long after release.

- Contested mobs are not farmable in the same way raid instances are, so they had reduced chances of loot. After the first expansion lockout times were extended to compensate for this and the drop rates in instances were improved. 

- If you want a healthy economy in a game you need item sinks. Without them every item in the game drops in value to the point where it completely worthless because there are more items then people who can use it. Everquest combated this by simply introducing new zones filled with buffed mobs and inflated items every few months. 

This is not an option in a seamless world, so I wonder what Vanguard to do once all the content in its huge world is made obsolete by mudflation. It’s not like they have any way of adding new nearby areas to populate with new mobs & items. Most likely they will flag anything worthwhile bind on pickup and just ditch the idea of having an economy.

- Instancing has its advantages and disadvantages. The best approach is to use a mix of instanced and non-instanced content so you have the best of both worlds. This changes nothing as far as the community goes because the people who like instances will either be in their own instance or in some other game where instances are available. 

- Do you expect places to be the exact same every time you return to them? If anything it adds emersion to be able to return to a place like Nec Castle and find some new threat or challenge has taken hold, or to have some huge threat emerge in a place you have already been to. 

- In most cases you go to a place and spend the evening adventuring in it. The only real exception to this is the noob zones on Qeynos and Freeport. Did you even play past the low 20’s in EQ2?

- I don’t see that many people doing it, but if people want to sit in their instanced housing that just shows that the feature is appealing. Even in your house you have access to all the chat channels so it’s not like you are missing out on the community.
  • ZsavoozZsavooz Member Posts: 532
    I really like EQ2, much better now than when I first started. The community is great. Tried Vanguard and my system is just not up to snuff to really enjoy it.