Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

EQ2 or Vanguard

Comments

• FugnudzFugnudz Member Posts: 480

Vanguard:  Better class system, class skills.

EQ2:  Better everything else.

• lomillerlomiller Member Posts: 1,810
    Originally posted by Fugnudz

The class system in Vanguard and EQ2 are nearly identical
  • AeronisAeronis Member Posts: 231
    Originally posted by lomiller

Originally posted by Fugnudz

The class system in Vanguard and EQ2 are nearly identical Ya, seriously.

You gotta be careful who you listen to on these boards, because a lot don't have a clue what they are talking about.

The original poster should pose the question on the Vanguard boards to get their take, as many have played EQ too.

There are a few things Vanguard clearly has over EQ2:

- A huge open and zoneless world.

- An interactive crafting system unlike any other MMORPG.

- You can use diplomacy to advance yourself, and the act of diplomacy itself is a skill based card game.

- Player/Guild housing.

- Boatmaking and customization.

- A more interactive combat system of reactions and sympathetic powers.

- A more advanced character creation system.

EQ has more polish, no doubt. But it's also been around a lot longer. Vanguard could certainly achieve this level of polish in 6-12 months.

• ApocalApocal Member Posts: 68
    can I get a neither button?  This poll is rigged.  Both of the games suck.
  • ApocalApocal Member Posts: 68
    Originally posted by Aeronis

EQ has more polish, no doubt. But it's also been around a lot longer. Vanguard could certainly achieve this level of polish in 6-12 months.

Have you even played the game?  It's going to take a lot more than 6 - 12 months to finish the game.  Especially since the majority of their team has been moved to an expansion team instead.  They are only keeping a small group on board to work on the game.  It has core stability issues yet alone things that need to be "polished".
  • FunkyLasagneFunkyLasagne Member Posts: 339
    Originally posted by AeronisYa, seriously.

You gotta be careful who you listen to on these boards, because a lot don't have a clue what they are talking about.

The original poster should pose the question on the Vanguard boards to get their take, as many have played EQ too.

There are a few things Vanguard clearly has over EQ2:

- A huge open and zoneless world.

- An interactive crafting system unlike any other MMORPG.

- You can use diplomacy to advance yourself, and the act of diplomacy itself is a skill based card game.

- Player/Guild housing.

- Boatmaking and customization.

- A more interactive combat system of reactions and sympathetic powers.

- A more advanced character creation system.

Nice unbiased review there.  A bit like saying:

Things that EQ2 has over VG:

- it works

• wilcoxonwilcoxon Member UncommonPosts: 98
    Originally posted by Apocal

Originally posted by Aeronis

Have you even played the game?  It's going to take a lot more than 6 - 12 months to finish the game.  Especially since the majority of their team has been moved to an expansion team instead.  They are only keeping a small group on board to work on the game.  It has core stability issues yet alone things that need to be "polished".

Yep.  I have played VSoH.  I'd say it will probably be a very enjoyable game in 3-6 months (not even 6-12).  Even just in the final weeks of beta and the few days between beta and release, they made alot of improvements.

That being said, Vanguard is definitely not a finished game yet (I bought the $10 pre-order but won't be buying the final game for a while).

However, I played in the stress test weekend of LotR and found it much more finished, polished, and enjoyable than Vanguard (and it's still months aways from release) so I may just skip Vanguard and go with LotR (and Warhammer).

Active: D&D Online (alpha,beta,&unlimited)

Retired: Anarchy Online, Archlord (beta), Auto Assault (beta), CoH/CoV, Dark Age of Camelot, Dungeon Runners, Elder Scrolls Online, Everquest, EVE, Guild Wars, Lord of the Rings Online (beta,live), Pathfinder Online (beta), Rift (beta,live), Secret World (beta,live), Star Wars Old Republic, Vanguard (beta), Warhammer (beta,live), World of Warcraft

• TrubadurenTrubaduren Member Posts: 575
    Seriosley, Begining in Vanguard was just lame, 2000 respawns, same quests, just killing.

And later on it was rly buggy and stuff, and combat was really ugly, I doubt they will change animations that big, huh?

Eq2 is nice, its not as free as vanguard in the content, but you dont need a uber comp to play a game that rly isnt that beautiful.

Starwars Galaxies, An Empier Diveded, That's what it says on my box anyway.

• dtportnoy69dtportnoy69 Member Posts: 28
    Ultima Online all the way!

I enjoyed Vanguard a lot more than I enjoyed EQ2. Personal preference I guess, but I find Vanguard is puling the best of the best into one game. Definately not polished yet,but it'll get there. The player models are really not up to par with the rest of their game world though. Its kinda funny.

No other MMO has come close to touching the gameplay of UO. I'm just hoping Vanguard will be close. Their features come close to UO's and the player housing with actually building on a plot of land puts them closer to UO as well.

So ya Vanguard FTW. No offense to EQ2 players. Its funny how people get so pissed on other peoples preferences. I don't hate you EQ2 lovers.

Keep lovin!
  • MentatMentat Member UncommonPosts: 516

OMG dude, that gameplay looks painful! For vangaurd I mean - I played EQ2 when it first came out. I was hoping for an updated EQ but, got a total different game - it was laggy - the combat system was very poor - the game just sucked - cept the graphics were improved. I hope the game has come a long way since then.

It would take a lot to drag me away from WoW though - with the expansion the game has really picked up.

• AutemOxAutemOx Member Posts: 1,704

I think I am enjoying VG more than EQ2, mostly because the zoning really hurt my EQ2 experience.  I might be happier with EQ2 now that I have a newer computer-  Maybe the loading screens would go faster- but VGs seamless worlds just really appeals to me.

On the other hand, I only made it to level 17 in EQ2, and I am only level 7 in VG  so uh, my opinion really doesnt mean much here. 

Play as your fav retro characters: cnd-online.net. My site: www.lysle.net. Blog: creatingaworld.blogspot.com.

• neuronomadneuronomad Member Posts: 1,276
    Well I think I am about to run back to EQ2 myself.   I went ahead and got a Station Access account last night just so I could play EQ2 during the repeated primetime VG server outages.  And then to top it off Sigil nerfed the holy hell out of my main (Disciple) last night but yet did little to fix the many, many, many game breaking issues.   So I would say stick with EQ2 for at least a few months and see how bad Sigil does things before giving them your money.  Else I would suggest that you do the Station Access so at least you can play EQ2 when you get too pissed at VG.

--------------------------------
    Currently Playing: Guild Wars 2 and Path of Exile

Quit: Eden Eternal, Wakfu, DDO, STO, DCUO, Sword 2, Atlantica Online, LOTRO, SWTOR, RIFT, Earthrise, FFXIV, RoM, Allods Online, GA,WAR,CO,V:SoH,POTBS,TR,COH/COV, WOW, DDO,AL, EQ, Eve, L2, AA, Mx0, SWG, SoR, AO, RFO, DAoC, and others.
    www.twitter.com/mlwhitt
    www.michaelwhitt.com

• PraxusPraxus Member Posts: 266
    If you like TLC, attunement and other gameplay restrictions, EQ2 may be your thing.

I played for the first year. Everyone I knew quit within a few months. With all the instances and locked encounters

there's little sense of community. Not to mention raid mobs dropping wooden chests of crap. I especially loved the

dungeons where all the drops woudln't be usable until you were 10 levels higher.
  • EngellanEngellan Member Posts: 3

I'm new to these forums, and I have only been playing VG for a week now. Let me say though, I have played pretty much every MMORPG to come down the road from beta (UO, EQ1, DAoC, M59, AO, EQ2, EVE, etc) and most recently WoW (gasp) now I have enjoyed WoW, but I am pretty much sick of it at this point and was looking for another online game to waste what life I have on.

I had high hopes for VG, but sadly I can't seem to find a lot that's really redeeming about this game. Although I could say that the install and patching went very smoothly. After that things just seem to go down hill. I was really surprised at how jerky the game was even under "balanced" settings, now I am running a AMD 64 x2 4800+ 2 gigs of ram and a Nvidia 7800GTX video card may not the "top" of the line these days, it's still a pretty good system. The game puts me in mind of free type online games.

It just seems that it wasn't anywhere near being finished when they released it.  From clunky character movement to dull droning combat to the very uninspiring sound,  I was disappointed with what I heard and saw. Also, for all the talk of customizable characters, everyone looked pretty much the same to me. I'm sure my opinion doesn't mean anything to most of the fanboys of this game, but maybe it will help someone on the fence about whether or not to spend thier money on it.

It's not that I hated it, it's just that I didn't find much to like about it. All that said,  I'm going to keep playing it  while waiting for AoC, WH or anything else that looks promising. Who knows, I might find what some players keep bragging about. Just my 2 cents worth.

Engellan

• BigMangoBigMango Member UncommonPosts: 1,821

For me Vanguard is better (although I voted EQ2 as I clicked by mistake, is there no way to correct a vote ?).

I have played EQ2 4 months ago, for 2 month.
    I have purchased a new computer only to be able to play EQ2 at max settings. I have left the game at lvl37 and have not even played the 2 expansions I had purchased (KoS and DoF).

EQ2 just had no soul for me. The game is huge, but it feels like a small world with ONLY 2 cities  () + to this small world you add many external hunting grounds that feel not to be connected to the game (I even ported to some of the expansions places to get a look, and what did I see ? Purple and yellow colored places that again felt like some more unconnected hunting grounds). I also hated the zoning. When I go to Zerk, The Ferrot, The Enchanted Lands,..., all these places feel so unconnected to the world, with no cities to discover or travel to. Hell, there is even zoning between Antonica 1 and Antonica 2 . I left EQ2 to go back to L2 were I could again experience a huge real world with no zoning, many racial starting places, and many cities to travel to and discover.

In VG I have now found what I have been missing in EQ2; VG is so much more. The more I play the more I see how huge, complete and immersive this game is.

Of course VG didn't get the 3 years polish EQ2 had, but it is already so awesome for me I can't even imagine how it will be with the improvements.

Some of the interesting things in VG I don't see in EQ2:

- seamless world with many cities and racial starting places, with no zoning

- many different flying mounts (made better than in any other game to date)

- many different pets and animal forms you can take

- boats, you can craft them yourself, they are like floating houses

- real player housing. In EQ2 you get an instanced hotel room. In VG your purchase real land and build your house on it, no instance

- player run house shops

- player/guild owned/managed houses, guild houses/keeps and cities.

- diplomacy

- better crafting

- better faction play with the many different racial starting areas

• lomillerlomiller Member Posts: 1,810

Originally posted by Praxus
    If you like TLC, attunement and other gameplay restrictions, EQ2 may be your thing.

I played for the first year. Everyone I knew quit within a few months. With all the instances and locked encounters
    there's little sense of community.

Darn tooten I like these features. They are far and away the best way to keep a functioning economy in an item based game.

Under its current structure crafting isn’t viable in Vanguard further then three months after release because the market will be swamped with every single cartable item making them totally worthless. It will take longer for the rarer drops to become worthless but it will happen just the same, you can’t stop it and the only way to even slow it down is to so severely limit drop rates you need to camp and grind for days on end to get even a single item that hasn’t already flooded the game.

This is probably Vangaurds biggest achilles heel at the moment. It’s going to take most of their available dev time simply pumping out new rare items to fight mudflation, allowing little or no opportunity for it to grow in other ways.

I also fail to see how allowing higher level people to do the work for you creates any sense of community. You build community by working with people not by doing it for them.

• terrifiedterrified Member Posts: 143
    Originally posted by WARCRYtm

Help me to choose the more in dept game.
    Wath do you think is the best game.
     And state why please.
    Thx
    vanguard has a whole lot more depth and more things to do while both can be fun. Heck i'd like to see someone try diplomacy in eq2 or even craft houses and boats!!!! I loved eq2 and i love vanguard but if your going after depth go vanguard
  • MentatMentat Member UncommonPosts: 516
    Originally posted by terrified

Originally posted by WARCRYtm

Help me to choose the more in dept game.
    Wath do you think is the best game.
     And state why please.
    Thx
    vanguard has a whole lot more depth and more things to do while both can be fun. Heck i'd like to see someone try diplomacy in eq2 or even craft houses and boats!!!! I loved eq2 and i love vanguard but if your going after depth go vanguard

you say go for gameplay - well - my god it's so slow! How do you deal with that slow gameplay? What makes that fun.... Looks like eq when it first came out - with the generic slash of the sword that takes forever to swing etc.

I just can't imagine that being fun

• zefalconzefalcon Member Posts: 11

neither, they both as bad as eachother :)

• lancelot76lancelot76 Member Posts: 119
    Both games have their pros and cons. I would give Vanguard at least 6 months to really come into its own, but already it's a beautiful game...just needs a few more months of work.

I play both and enjoy both. I would say that if don't have either game, go ahead and get the EQ2 trial and see if you like it. If you really can't stand it, then definitely get Vanguard and enjoy the world.
  • AquakittyAquakitty Member Posts: 310
    Originally posted by gitawego

Originally posted by End_of_a_era

EQ2
    Vanguards combat looks like this throughout (playedd till 25 even tho this is lvl 1) http://media.putfile.com/WOAHVANGUARD

oh my god, the combat style is so so so ugly :(

EQ2 is better !

LOl I'm not a Vanguard fan, but that is NOT how the combat is.. He's a L 1 melee with no skills, the combat is actually fast
  • KalmarthKalmarth Member Posts: 443
    Beta'ed Vanguard, Hated Vanguard, sticking with EQ2.
  • BakgrindBakgrind Member UncommonPosts: 423
    Well it took EQ II 2 years to become the good game that it is today.  VG is still in the play for beta testing phase which will probably last untill the end of the year. So ya go with EQ II .
  • TommyKHartTommyKHart Member UncommonPosts: 294

Lol. Thats a video of a lvl 1 character. How bias can you get. Gain a few more lvl then see if its slow.

• w175jabw175jab Member Posts: 239
    I'm thinking about possibly canceling my vanguard account and opening an EQ2 account again.

I played EQ2 at release and apparently it's a completely different creature now... might give it a shot. Who knows.

Does that tell you anything? LOL