Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Never RP'd before, what are the basic rules?

Just curious. I think this may be an interesting way to go, and I would not want to upset people by my lack of understanding how these servers work.

Thanks!

Comments

• PhantazamPhantazam Member Posts: 70

Think of RP'ing as PvP'ing. Instead of sword's and spell's, you use your e-peen and vastly superior wit and guile to defeat the other people's ego, and instead of gold you aquire a flock of people who flatter you and re-enforce you're illusionary personality. 

• JackdogJackdog Member UncommonPosts: 6,321

bow, wave and salute a lot.

Do not type anything in general chat about basketball/football/rugby match last night.

Dont type something like Yo dude what kinda vid card you got

do not use emoticons , ie smiles

do not use internet speak like LOL, r, u, h8 and such

thats a start I am sure others can add more However if you want to appear to be a total ass then use the Biblical pseudo middle English like thee , thy, thine and other  such BS

I miss DAoC

• dunaduriumdunadurium Member Posts: 257

Its frankly quite simple.. Just stay in character for the most part. Play as your character, establish a background and personality for him..play like telon realy exists and your character (you) is a real part of it.

Simple and fun and the world becomes so much more emersive when everyone keeps with the theme of the game.

~dunadurium

"Silly rabbit, WoW's for kids"

• Rayx0rRayx0r Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 2,902
    Originally posted by rollnstns

Just curious. I think this may be an interesting way to go, and I would not want to upset people by my lack of understanding how these servers work.

Thanks!

just by showing that you have consideration for others in your quote is enough to say, dont worry about offending anyone.

in most MMO's, RP servers are fairly casual.  You occassionally get some RP noob who will try and play hall-monitor.  As much as these RP nazis want to appear experienced on RP servers, a vet of roleplay will tell you these folks are clueless and trying to over accentuate the fact that they are still learning too..

The idea is, during chat or groups you try and "act" or "speak" as your character might if you were acting a role compared to a movie or play.  You dont have to constantly do this, which is what most folks think.  When your in general chat its expected. 

My rule is, in /say I speak in role.  In groups I speak in role.  In /region I speak OOC.  In /guild I speak both OOC and in role.  Personally, I dont denote ((out of character parentheses)) to say im OOC.  I just speak.  When speaking OOC if someone else is roleplaying, you might want to use ((double parenthesis to show the words here are out of character)).  Its not always necessary though especially once you get to know someone.

youll find yourself having fun with roleplaying, speaking in character and out of character whenever you feel like it.  Its not as serious as some people want you to believe.  Have fun with it. 

It helps to learn the lore of the game and become involved with your race and class and your surroundings.  Dont be surprised if someone approaches you and asks you "where do you come from?" or "where you were born" and not asking you specifically in the real world, but trying to roleplay with you.

also, a lot of people give their characters personality by using a specific vernacular (and no..old english is just too fake). 

if your curious about it, just try it.  learn from other people in-game.  Honestly, if vanguards RP server is like the others you wont have much to worry about at all. 

“"If you want a picture of the future, imagine a robot foot stomping on a human face -- forever."
  • TharcideTharcide Member Posts: 97
    Basically...

You type what your character would say.

If you wanted to RP with ... RP-ers.

You would be making a story with them.

You = "Bob"

Other RP-er = "Ryu"

1. Don't go.... "Bob tackled Ryu" "Ryu died"

Or "Ryu tries to kiss Bob"

He isn't your character to control

2. Know the difference between "out of character" and "in character"

3. Don't play god

4.Don't make up "smiley face spider man" as a creature

Common sense?

I don't role-play btw

• miagisanmiagisan Member Posts: 5,156

i used to rp in swg alot....and theres a few basic things:

find a group of people who like to roleplay, usually theres groups of them who have been together for a while

stay in your character, if you have to speak out of character, use *ooc* or some variation, its pretty much a known acronym for out-of-character

usually theres a storyline or theme that happens at rp events, meet up with the coordinator or person helping out with the event and find out your role

be respectful of others..remember, they are trying to act out a story, so go with the flow

never use leet speak /hi5 jackdog.....BIG no-no!

after the story runs out, or if you remain permanently in you character as you play, try not to break character, and if you do...ooc it

those are pretty much the basics....but your best bet in learning is find some like minded roleplayers...

enjoy

• youhayouha Member Posts: 11

after reading thist post, i really do want to try Vanguard at RP server!

• starman999starman999 Member Posts: 1,232

Its easy.......

Your speech and actions should reflect the environment of the game. Play as if you ARE your character and behave as though the environment you are in is the only one that is real. DONT make references to real life modern objects, places, people etc....

Basically just develop a believable personality and backstory for your character and enjoy the heck out of being him/her. Last but not least try to choose a name that is fitting for the game and not just gibberish or something purposefully stupid.

Critical thinking is a desire to seek, patience to doubt, fondness to meditate, slowness to assert, readiness to consider, carefulness to dispose and set in order; and hatred for every kind of imposture.

• BlurrBlurr Member UncommonPosts: 2,155

Think of it kinda like acting. You are "playing" the "role" of your character. (That's why they call it roleplaying  )

Just talk the way you believe your character would talk if he were actually in that world. It can be quite fun for people who enjoy getting into that kinda role.

You don't have to say "thee" and "thou" all the time. Just try to avoid saying words that the characters in the game world wouldn't know. (ie, no xbox, or internet, or paris hilton).

If you're new to it, just take it slow, and try to talk similar to the way you see other people talking. Most RPers should be pretty understanding.

Good luck and have fun!

"Because it's easier to nitpick something than to be constructive." -roach5000

• murphys123murphys123 Member Posts: 216
    I am not a RP, but I always play on RP servers because I enjoy the atmoshpere they bring to the game. If you are new to it, just hang out with people who RP and let them know you want to just wait to develope your character until you learn how it is done. The majority of them are very very cool people and will have no problem if you are just along for the ride for awhile until you are comfortable. Most dont Rp 24/7 anyway.
  • parmenionparmenion Member Posts: 260
    Best way to start, apart from the linguistics/rp ettiquette, which has been covered well above is to think a little about your character beforehand, and give him a few characteristics or likes and dislikes or some kind of goals and motivations.

Start with something small, "behold I am Deicide, ravenous eater of worlds" a) doesn't leave your character alot of options to expand their story, they're kind of at a dead end already and b) is just a little comical on a level 2.

Something small like... I have four older brothers, there's really no room on the farmstead for a fifth, so my father gave me the sword that once belonged to my grandfather saying it was the best he could really do for me, and now I'm finding my way in the world.

Over time your character will expand in both future and past if that makes sense, things will happen to him ingame, but you'll also add history and backstory to his past as you get to know him better, as the character evolves.

For example, perhaps when he was younger he fell down the well, and he's afraid of enclosed spaces and not very comfortable in the dark, but he hides it and doesn't really like to let people know that because his brothers teased him about it.

You don't need anything too grand to start, he doesn't have to be last blood descendant of a hidden line of alien god-kings on a holy quest to capture the jewel of blah, open the dimension of whatever and enslave the universe with his birthright army of spoogelings, but some characteristics that will create & develope personality, and a vague sense of where he's from, or maybe where he's aiming to go (for the moment) is great, it opens the character up and lets you speak & make decisions as the character would, not necessarily solely as you would.

As others have said, don't feel obliged to have everything or even anything fixed and preplanned and known from the start, just find some other RP-ers and try to talk to them as if you were the character on screen, not the person sitting behind the screen.

*hey want to go XP" doesn't work in that context aswell as "Hello, any work for a swordsman?"

one last point is most RP-ers usually use a form of bracketing to convey non-speech stuff so for example

*sighs irritably* another job in a cave...

The asterisk bracketing of *sighs irritably* makes it an action or qualifier of some type that adds alot of meaning to a flat statement, and adds character. Just remember when involving other people you don't have control over their response, they do :- so *cuts her head off* is bad, *curses and swings his sword at her neck * is good, because it lets the her react in whatever fashion she does. Otherwise you can end up with some:

"bang bang you're dead!"

"no I'm not - look alive!"

"no you just died right there in that large pool of blood!"

"what large pool of blood?!?"

etc....