Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Would you consider Vanguard a Sandbox?

2»

Comments

• HattwinHattwin Member Posts: 3
    Originally posted by Rackhir

Well in SWG you could sit on a chair. Also in UO. Guild meetings were so much more fun, sitting around a long table (UO) on the roof of our guild tower, or sitting on chairs in the guild hall (SWG) with the guild leaders higher and on beautifully carved chairs. In VG all you can do is stand. That hurts the roleplaying aspect and the fun. I hope they add chairs and sitting possibilities to VG.

omg, did you check out the emotes in VG??? Try /listcommands emote ..... you can play dead, spit, vomit, smell your pits, rudegesture etc. Now I didn't try sitting on a chair, but there are a lot of RP emotes in VG.

• RackhirRackhir Member Posts: 13

Originally posted by Hattwin

Well in SWG you could sit on a chair. Also in UO. Guild meetings were so much more fun, sitting around a long table (UO) on the roof of our guild tower, or sitting on chairs in the guild hall (SWG) with the guild leaders higher and on beautifully carved chairs. In VG all you can do is stand. That hurts the roleplaying aspect and the fun. I hope they add chairs and sitting possibilities to VG.

omg, did you check out the emotes in VG??? Try /listcommands emote ..... you can play dead, spit, vomit, smell your pits, rudegesture etc. Now I didn't try sitting on a chair, but there are a lot of RP emotes in VG.

Yes, I did check them tonight while waiting for the tele-tag event (I fell asleep before it started, if it ever started, as I'm from Europe, though I did get a chance to fly a griffon in the morning just before the end of beta; it was awesome). It was funny, I was standing in front of that other guy and we just started checking all of the emotes without exchanging any word. And yes, I was impressed with the number of them. He tried to /duck just before I /slap etc. Was quite entertaining. Then I dueled him (I was a level 30 paladin and he a level 35 warrior) and to my surprise I defeated him. He told me he hadn't practiced the character as he was buffed to that level but then again I was also buffed from level 1 to 30 by a buff master  Still, interacting with chairs in the game is something else than emotes, and is harder to implement; I hope they do so sometime soon.

• Nikoz78Nikoz78 Member UncommonPosts: 910

You WILL  be able to sit in a chair. Here is the video to prove it:

www.vgpro.com/file/16018_e3_2006_playerhousing.wmv.html

It's strange to read comments like "its linear" because Vanguard is the exact opposite.

EDIT: if the first link fails try this one - (both should work however)

www.fileplanet.com/163792/download/Vanguard:-Saga-of-Heroes-Movie:-Player-Housing

I miss the good ol' days when nerds were actually intelligent.

• PB&JPB&J Member Posts: 255
    Originally posted by Vhaln

Originally posted by PB&J

You can be just a crafter and you can be just a diplomat. You don't have to be an adventurer. However, the game is class based primarily and this goes against the general sandbox feeling. Sandbox games generally don't pin you to a class be it as an adventurer or crafter. All three spheres of this game are class based.

How do you mean that?  Are there crafting classes, or do you mean classes are tied to certain crafting options, like in DAOC? (Healers could be spellcrafters, Shadowblades could be alchemists, etc)  If the latter, I assume it's also like DAOC (and many others), where someone can't really just play a crafter, because they wouldn't have the resources for it, and frankly, crafting doesn't keep anyone entertained like it does in games like EVE or SWG?

One way I'm thinking about, to judge how much of a sandbox a game is, is to look at how people play the game.  Not what you theoretically can do, which tends to omit finer but important distinctions, but what people actually do.  Are many of them hanging out in towns a lot, screwing around in all sorts of ways?  Or are they all pretty focused, just levelling up?

I  mean blacksmiths cannot make robes. Leather workers can't make swords, etc.

Originally posted by busdriver

Does VG have factional territory control? If not, then I would say it is not a sandbox MMORPG.
    Yep. It sure does. Here is a post from a dev regarding factions and who hates who:

This is not factional territory control. It's just factions. Can, for example, Tursh village conquer the city of Khal? No. That's what busdriver meant when he said "factional territory control".

No. As far as I know thats not going to happen. Its a PvE game at heart. Factional territory control is generally a player driven, PvP oriented mechanic. You aren't going to see NPC's marching across continents thats for sure.
  • MaeEyeMaeEye Member UncommonPosts: 1,106
    I personally feel like it's a sand box.   Of course not to the extent of UO (I miss you baby!!!!!)  But I think with a few patches and whatnot, we will have things like sitting and I think that the freedom is there.  So to me, Vanguard feels like a Sandbox, at least compared to the second gen of games (escuse me, I didn't play SWG, wish I would have though since I was a huge fan of UO). 

Player housing...check

Travel on Ship.... check

Build ship.... check

fly freely anywhere you want.....check

meh, why don't we just call it a sandbox?
    /played-mmorpgs

Total time played: 9125 Days, 21 Hours, 29 Minutes, 27 Seconds
    Time played this level: 39 Days, 1 Hour, 24 Minutes, 5 Seconds

• VhalnVhaln Member Posts: 3,159

Oh, so there is a Blacksmith class? With no adventuring viability, I assume?

Originally posted by MaeEye
    Player housing...check
    Travel on Ship.... check
    Build ship.... check

Maybe because none of that has much to do with being a sandbox? How does any of that make it less of a linear levelquest game?

When I want a single-player story, I'll play a single-player game. When I play an MMO, I want a massively multiplayer world.

• parmenionparmenion Member Posts: 260

Originally posted by MaeEye

Player housing...check

Travel on Ship.... check

Build ship.... check

Maybe because none of that has much to do with being a sandbox? How does any of that make it less of a linear levelquest game?

Classes can be a blend of types of crafter and a type of diplomat and a type of adventurerer and two types of harvester - you don't have to have alts for those other activities, which I really like.

There haven't been any total sandbox games, there's always structure - particularly when there's many people needing to inhabit the same world, killing all the trainers for paladins so that no new paladins will ever be made just isn't a viable mechanic for anything other than a solo world, so you won't ever see total sandbox. - VG is alot more sandbox and alot more options to choose your path than most MMO games, and certainly any new or upcoming ones. You don't build your own adventuring class from skillsets, that is definitely an issue I'm divided on, I loved that in UO however it did mean almost everyone was a fairly narrow definition of what they could do (tank mage for PvP etc) the classes in VG do play very nicely and have a good variety of playstyle and interest from my experience.

What's your definition of sandbox anyway? Have you considered any previous games to be sandbox? If you're going to say UO or SWG then VG is just as sandbox, the classing is offset by other choices you can make, and hell what a vast interesting world to explore - both UO and SWG suffered very much in the variety of world & content to explore/experience - so most of the sandbox aspects came from making your own content & interaction (community interaction, player towns etc) and VG will encourage those facets much more than other offerings upcoming imho.

Well, your crafting levels and exp are entirely separate from your adventuring levels and exp. A single character can level in adventuring, harvesting, crafting, and diplomacy. Each sphere has different item slots for gear as well as different levels. Each sphere makes you choose a path to follow.

You can be a level 42 Dread Knight and a level 8 Blacksmith. There are sub specialties within the different crafting areas but I'm not sure what they are off hand. Or you can choose not to level your adventuring at all and just level crafting. Leveling crafting in this game can be done entirely from vendor purchased items. Usable items in the game are made from harvested or collected resources. You level crafting via work orders handed out from NPC's. You make the requested item and are awarded exp, coin, items, recipes, etc. for your efforts. The higher quality item the better the exp and the reward. Items from work orders are mundane and not actually used by anybody in the game. For instance, you might make a lampshade for a work order and hand it in to the NPC but it can't be actually used in the game. This crafting advancement method allows you to save your harvested resources for actual in game items.
  • parmenionparmenion Member Posts: 260
    PB&J's summary is a good one and transferable to harvesting diplomacy spheres also, every sphere is independant of what you've done or not done broadly speaking in any other sphere - although there are some nice interdependancies you can achieve if you wish to, particularly at later levels, either within your character or with others characters.