Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The TV Show Thread

So, instead of rehasing some of the recent topics like Politics, Religion, EVE/WoW we've been doing for a while, how about we rehash a slightly older topic. I've seen movies and music recently, but we havent had a good TV Show thread in a while. For you people that are sensitive about such things, there may or may not be spoilers in the preceeding posts (There will be in mine, at least) so read at your own risk.

Anyway, I'll start off.

Battlestar Galactica- I like the whole Sci-Fi/Space Drama, although they're getting a bit soapy with Lee and Starbuck. I could take less of the love triangles and more of the Action/Other plots. I'm a lot more interested in Cylon Politics and the on-going quest for Earth. Besides, Starbuck is too Badass for Lee anyway.

Stargate- Both of 'em, although recently, Atlantis a bit more. Don't get me wrong, I like Ben and Claudia, but I miss Jack more, and its not the same show. The 200th episode was rather good, though, and with any luck, we'll get a Teal'c: Private Eye show as the next spinoff. As for Atlantis, I've just gotten used to the group a bit more. Shepard is great fun in every episode, and when he and McKay get going, the series is at its best.

Firefly- Enough said.

We barely remember who or what came before this precious moment;
We are choosing to be here right now -Tool, Parabola

Comments

• LullusLullus Member Posts: 9
    I heard only good thing about Battlestar Galactica, but I did not manage to see it yet. Any House, M.D. fans around? I just love Hugh Laurie and would not have believed him playing a character like the cranky House after having seen him as Bertie Wooster.
  • AnagethAnageth Member Posts: 2,217
    Originally posted by Lullus 

Any House, M.D. fans around? I just love Hugh Laurie and would not have believed him playing a character like the cranky House after having seen him as Bertie Wooster.

*raises hand*

Been a Hugh Laurie fan since Black Adder goes Forth. House is awesome.

No longer visiting MMORPG.com.

• zakk_zakk_ Member Posts: 438
    the ads for house freak me out.

laurie is the prince in blackadder.when he gets serious it's like,no man,this is wrong

• KremlikKremlik Member UncommonPosts: 716
    Originally posted by mithrandir72

So, instead of rehasing some of the recent topics like Politics, Religion, EVE/WoW we've been doing for a while, how about we rehash a slightly older topic. I've seen movies and music recently, but we havent had a good TV Show thread in a while. For you people that are sensitive about such things, there may or may not be spoilers in the preceeding posts (There will be in mine, at least) so read at your own risk.
    Anyway, I'll start off.
    Battlestar Galactica- I like the whole Sci-Fi/Space Drama, although they're getting a bit soapy with Lee and Starbuck. I could take less of the love triangles and more of the Action/Other plots. I'm a lot more interested in Cylon Politics and the on-going quest for Earth. Besides, Starbuck is too Badass for Lee anyway.
    Stargate- Both of 'em, although recently, Atlantis a bit more. Don't get me wrong, I like Ben and Claudia, but I miss Jack more, and its not the same show. The 200th episode was rather good, though, and with any luck, we'll get a Teal'c: Private Eye show as the next spinoff. As for Atlantis, I've just gotten used to the group a bit more. Shepard is great fun in every episode, and when he and McKay get going, the series is at its best.
    Firefly- Enough said.

Actally without spoiling the season 2 to season 3 story arc in Galactia, it's less 'soapy' then season 2 was (which in all honesty was the wrost season out of the three thus far) it's more 'OMG! whats gonna happen now?' like season 1 was. The working of the Cylon mind and politics start to show in that arc plus it'll continue on thru season 3, season 3's main 'theme' is survial this time around and so far it's lived up to that.

As for Startgate TBH if they hadn't brought in Ben and Claudia into SG1 the show wouldn't have lasted thru season 9 the Auri even tho they are deemed 'uberly powerful' are just the same as the goa'uld were compeared to earth when the first started, inless somthing huge actally happened in SG1 (for instance they actally LOSE the SGC and the Auri actally capturing Earth) it's gonna end up the same way it always has Earth wins via finding equally uber tech with minimum losses, the show itself has already been canned so it's up to the feature lengths to actally bring the show back from bordom, Farscape managed it, although the show was actally better at least they lost crew members here and there, unlike Jackson just bloody deside if he's actally gonna be dead permently or not for once geez he's 'died' more times then Buffy and he's on the way to atch up with The Doctor and he an't a timelord .. Atlantis I do prefer the characters still have their charm McKay and Ronin SO make the show fun, altough they could write some orginal eps more instead of rehashing SG1's (or other shows in some cases)..

Although my current love has to be Torchwood (that would be the Doctor Who spin off for those who don't know), although the good Doctor is begining to show his dark side again the 'new' DW is kinda missing the old fright factor on the whole, Torchwood SO makes up for it and it's pushing the 'politically correct' barrier which I REALLY like.

Bring on the WARRRRGGHH!

• dsorrentdsorrent Member CommonPosts: 1,627

I think Scrubs is one of the best TV shows on the air.

• Rikimaru_XRikimaru_X Member UncommonPosts: 11,718
    And I thought I would be the first one to say Scrubs. I watching Scrubs on Comedy Central and I love it, I can't turn the TV when it's on. I really thought this show was BS, but man it's funny as hell yet it does bring drama in too which is soothing. It's creative alright.

-In memory of Laura "Taera" Genender. Passed away on Aug/13/08-
    |
    RISING DRAGOON ~AION US ONLINE LEGION for Elyos

• SkiddishSkiddish Member Posts: 103

Buffy and Angel, hands down, best tv shows in my book

House comes in next.

Every CSI and Law and Order (except trial by jury, very very dissapointing. Thought it'd be drama inside the jurors chamber, big let-down)

24 = a given. follow it from episode 1 up to season 6, amazing.

Love Passions. So outrageous.

Jericho is pretty good.

Heroes, muy bueno.

Anyone who needs a good link to watching almost every episode of a lot of good seasons, no downloading, just click and watch, let me know.

• LaserwolfLaserwolf Member Posts: 2,383

I am not too sure what you are looking for so I will comment on the state of tv right now, at least in my opinion. I have seen all episodes of the below series btw so I feel like my opinions are at least educated ones.

Currently my weekly tv-show schedule is:

(Monday)

• Prison Break- While watching it I am really into it, but I don't really look forward to it. PB has become a little too manufactured.
    • Heroes- I also enjoy watching this but it is just way too slow paced for me. Another show I don't look forward to with much anticipation.
    • 24-I have loved 24 since day 1 and always always look forward to the new episodes. I greatly enjoy any TV Show not afraid to kill off characters at any time and I love the "edge of your seat" drama though I feel mildy guilty about it. Making Wayne Palmer president this season is completely stupid and was only done to make the show's many moron fans happy. The guy is way too young and his speech at the end of episode 5 was completely aweful. I just wish this wasn't the show of war-happy neo-conservatives. They seem to think that the show proves torture is necessary when it is used as a last ditch measure to find out the location of a WMD in the middle of an American City an hour before it is set to go off. Using it on the brother-in-law of the driver for a potential terrorist to find out if he overheard something about Anti-American sentiment must also be ok.

(Tuesday)

• The Unit-I don't like most of the characters, the plots bore me, and the action is either too much or not enough. However overall I enjoy the show for some reason. I don't really look forward to it but I enjoy the fact it is unique.

(Wednesday)

• Friday Night Lights-I love the characters, the acting, the filming, the writing, and the drama. I also enjoy the Football quite a lot. I usually don't go for these type of "Teen Soap Opera" shows, but FNLs stays above the typical crap. Great Casting.

(Thursday)

• Smallville-Too cookie-cutter, soapy, and "7th Heaven" for me, but I have been watching it since day 1 when it was actually good and don't see myself stopping until it is over. The recent Green Arrow stuff has been pretty good from what you normally find in a TV Show and of course the recent Flash/Cyborg/Green Arrow/Aquaman Justice League episode was fun to watch but still lame.
    • My Name is Earl/The Office-MNiE is overall good tv. It isn't laugh out loud funny so much, but I enjoy watching it. The office is also high quality every single minute and also manages to be laugh out loud funny. Damn good comedy.
    • Ugly Betty- This one is completely out of character for me, or so I thought. When it first came on and all throughout its run in 06 I completely ignored it. I knew it was popular with viewers and critics but so is American Idol. However I DVR'd the marathon for someone else around New Years and decided to give it a shot. The show is just so damn unique and fresh that it breaks the mold completely. The characters are great, the acting is good, and the casting was perfect. I especially enjoy how everything is so light and bright. The big surprise last week has me shaking my head but I trust the writers and creators to make it work.

(Friday)

Only show moved to Sunday

(Saturday)

Never have had a Saturday show

(Sunday)

• Battlestar Galactica- One of the best shows on television in my opinion. It has its ups and downs but what makes it so great is that its ups include some of the best action and drama I have ever seen on tv or in film and its downs still top most the other tv show's ups. I wish the show would go back to more of its "survival" roots and leave the religious crap behind. Sometimes it better to know thy enemy(The Wire) and other times it is better not too know thy enemy(I don't know....The Blairwitch Project). In shows like this I want more mystery and fear when it comes to the Cylons. They are trying to wipe out the human race but are allowed to come and go on BSG with diplomatic immunity.
    • Rome-One of the top 3 best Tv Shows ever on TV. The casting in this show was absolutely freaking perfect. The way it brings the story of Julius Caesar and Marc Anthony to life is amazing. I watched the Marlon Brando version of JC in school and could not figure out why the hell Marc Anthony and Octavius went at it. Even though most of the interaction between the two in this show is obviously fiction it at least provides great motive in the way the characters are written. It's a bitch that the actor who played Octavius will now be replaced and it's a bitch the show has only 10 episodes left, but despite all that Rome is and will continue to be perfect entertainment.

I am still greatly looking forward to Jericho returning in 2-3 weeks and I will also continue to watch Lost when it returns. I look forward to Jericho and rank it in the top 5 currently mainly because I love the setting and I like the drama. Lost started blowing 9 or so episodes in but can still strongly keep my attention so I'll watch keep watching.

Lastly Sopranos is returning in March and like Deadwood, Rome, Dexter, Brotherhood, and The Wire is an HBO/Showtime Original Series that I enjoy every single second of. Being that these will be the last 9 episodes(They will do 9 not 8 now) I hate the fact I'll be on the edge of my seat every single episode knowing that characters will be dying off left and right.

Anyway, if you agree with most my picks try watching the others. If you agree with only some I only recommend the ones I gave the better reviews to.

• SlickinfinitSlickinfinit Member UncommonPosts: 1,094

HBO's Rome is my absolute favorite show to watch atm, best story I have seen unfolded and it has 2 characters Vorenus and Titus who totaly pwn everything that attempts to mess with them. This second season has me glued to my tv every Sunday, I even shut off my comp to watch it! I recomend this show to anyone who likes a good story with lots of action and Marc Anthony is pretty cool to I was impressed at how he slit Quintis's throat like that.

I also watch another HBO show called Deadwood which is set in the 1800's in the same town where Wild Bill was shot and 3 seasons have been done will all 3 seasons kicking ass imo. Swigin is the man in Deadwood he runs a brothel and keeps the town in order by outsmarting and slittin the throats of people who cross him.

When those arent on and I am chillin its usualy a Seinfeld rerun or a Star Trek rerun, preferably DS9 or TNG. I always try to fit the Daily show/Colbert repor in to if I can.

{(RIP)} SWG

• Rikimaru_XRikimaru_X Member UncommonPosts: 11,718
    I love watching the Daily Show re-runs. Cobert Report is . . . alright. It was good some weeks ago, but it seems he's getting full of himself sometimes. Sometimes it don't seem like he represents South Carolina.

-In memory of Laura "Taera" Genender. Passed away on Aug/13/08-
    |
    RISING DRAGOON ~AION US ONLINE LEGION for Elyos

• outfctrloutfctrl Member UncommonPosts: 3,619

The Twilight Zone  "You unlock this door with the key of imagination. Beyond it is another dimension - a dimension of sound, a dimension of sight, a dimension of mind. You're moving into a land of both shadow and substance, of things and ideas. You've just crossed over into the Twilight Zone."

The Outer Limits "There is nothing wrong with your television set. Do not attempt to adjust the picture. We are controlling transmission. If we wish to make it louder, we will bring up the volume. If we wish to make it softer, we will tune it to a whisper. We can reduce the focus to a soft blur, or sharpen it to crystal clarity. We will control the horizontal. We will control the vertical. For the next hour, sit quietly and we will control all that you see and hear. You are about to experience the awe and mystery which reaches from the inner mind to... The Outer Limits."

• n25phillyn25philly Member Posts: 1,317

Need more 24...

I just started watching the show on Dec. 28th.  I bought the DVD sets of seasons 1-5 right before Christmas and started watching them towards the end of the vacation I took at holiday time.  Yes, I am completely caught up already and watching the current season.  It feel weird going back to regular TV after watching only 24 for weeks.

member of imminst.org

• dsorrentdsorrent Member CommonPosts: 1,627

Originally posted by Laserwolf

Ugly Betty- The big surprise last week has me shaking my head but I trust the writers and creators to make it work.

Last week's episode looks like it might be when Ugly Betty "Jumps the shark" for me... We'll see.