Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Guild Wars - All the Hype and high rating??

SpymadeSpymade Member Posts: 2

Ok, after playing WoW, which I thought was an extremely awesome game, I decided to buy Guild Wars Nightfall because of two reasons. The first, of course, being that there is no monthly fee. The second was based solely on the fact that it was the highest rated game by players voting here on MMORPG.com. Well, I've got to tell you I was quite disappointed. Two things immediately set me off on this game (keep in mind that my latest comparison would have been WoW). You couldn't Jump? THERE WAS NO JUMP KEY? WTH? So then I questioned, "If I couldn't jump, what happens when you get to a cliff? Do you just fall down or do you get blocked?" Well, unfortunately, it turns out you just stop. STOP!. Your character slides along the apparent edge. That is stupid, unrealilistic, and certainly takes away from the RPG/Reality/Fantasy of the game.  Ok... two more .... You get to water, and you can't swim. Wow (NOT WoW), does that suck. And finally, the graphics couldn't come close to WoW. Absolutely spectacular video, colors, and dream scape in WoW.

So, all this begs the question: How can anyone place Guild Wars above WoW in things like RPG game play or Graphics. The only thing I could come with is that there is no monthly fee. So, I beg of MMORPG.com to please separate the categories of REAL MMORPG and RPG because I just speant money on a PC game... NOT a MMORPG.

SpyMade (aka, Terran Miner, Terran Killer)

Comments

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435

Whether Guild Wars is a real MMORPG has been a subject of debate...with the consensus here generally being... no, not really.  (I didn't add it to my list of MMORPG's I've played over in the "Quitters" thread)

And I agree...I found it distressing that there was no jump key....or need to jump... I love jumping... and this disturbed me.  Running into invisible zone walls is also a negative, especially when it feels like you have to follow the path to get from a to b.

I agree...wasn't the game for me...though was a bit entertaining for a month or three.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• BadSpockBadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 7,979

true. I bought Guild Wars long ago and it's been sitting dusty on my shelf for quite some time. Once I got out of "noob" starting zone and into the "real world" I pretty much gave up on the game and went back to WoW

i've beta tested, played, or free trialed just about every differnet MMO out there I swear... CoH/CoV, SWG, Eq1/2, AC, DDO, GW, UO, E&B, L2, RFO, AO, EVE, RO......

but WoW is clearly the best in all categories in the mmorpg.com rating system in my opinion. I gave wow perfect 10/10 just to hope to help bump it up above the competition which, as you say, does not deserve to be above WoW

• JelloB2000JelloB2000 Member CommonPosts: 1,848

...So your arguments are "No jumping" and "No mmorpg"?
    I agree you should go back to WoW.

• WARCRYtmWARCRYtm Member Posts: 875

Games were you dont jump

SWG concidered by most the best MMORPG(pre cu)

Lineage1 and 2 - Sencond and 3rd MMO`s more played in the world

UO - Same has SWG cocidered by most the best MMORPG(at his time)

Runescape - Most played free MMO in US/Eu

List goes on

Most of the best seling rpg´s you dont jump like

Baldurs gate1 and 2

NeverWinter Nights1 and 2

Ice windale

Plane Scape

Knights Of The old Republic1 and 2

Final Fantasy(saga)

Fallout

Ultima(saga).....

So if you like RPG´s jump wold not be a problem to you

PS. WoW have beter grafics than GW????Were??

• Man1acMan1ac Member Posts: 1,428
    Christ...GW is not that sort of MMO. It's beautiful and simple. I admit you don't feel the way you feel playing an MMO where you can jump and see people outside outpost, but millions of people still got addicted....I actually hated that you couldn't jump at the start but the game hardly ever laggs so it isn't life threatning. You think about the difference between F2P and P2P, for God sake you have to pay half the price of the actual game per month! I believe this game completely out classes all the other F2P games out there.

Btw, it is an MMO, it's just that GW is a unique MMO, and you may just not like it.

We're all Geniuses. Most of us just don't know it.

• DookzDookz Member UncommonPosts: 562
    Originally posted by Spymade

Ok, after playing WoW, which I thought was an extremely awesome game, I decided to buy Guild Wars Nightfall because of two reasons. The first, of course, being that there is no monthly fee. The second was based solely on the fact that it was the highest rated game by players voting here on MMORPG.com. Well, I've got to tell you I was quite disappointed. Two things immediately set me off on this game (keep in mind that my latest comparison would have been WoW). You couldn't Jump? THERE WAS NO JUMP KEY? WTH? So then I questioned, "If I couldn't jump, what happens when you get to a cliff? Do you just fall down or do you get blocked?" Well, unfortunately, it turns out you just stop. STOP!. Your character slides along the apparent edge. That is stupid, unrealilistic, and certainly takes away from the RPG/Reality/Fantasy of the game.  Ok... two more .... You get to water, and you can't swim. Wow (NOT WoW), does that suck. And finally, the graphics couldn't come close to WoW. Absolutely spectacular video, colors, and dream scape in WoW.
    So, all this begs the question: How can anyone place Guild Wars above WoW in things like RPG game play or Graphics. The only thing I could come with is that there is no monthly fee. So, I beg of MMORPG.com to please separate the categories of REAL MMORPG and RPG because I just speant money on a PC game... NOT a MMORPG.

SpyMade (aka, Terran Miner, Terran Killer)
    Speak for yourself. Those things you described are probably not a priority or remain a low priority in Arenanet's mind and I hope it remains that way because I want their time and effort put into improving gameplay, such as the addition of party/trade search. Not everything has to be realistic, mind you but that doesnt mean they exclude jumping and falling down the cliff. For instance, death penalties that go away as soon as you enter an outpost or town, instant map travel.

Playing now: Cities: Skyline / Ori and the Blind Forest / Banished

• VGJusticeVGJustice Member Posts: 640

Originally posted by JelloB2000

Yeah, gonna agree completely here. Thanks for helping to keep our servers up a little bit longer. *wave*

--~~--
    Play Guild Wars? Go here - http://gw.gamewikis.org/wiki/Main_Page
    And go here for the new official Guild Wars Wiki! http://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Main_Page

• SuplyndmndSuplyndmnd Member Posts: 553
    "That is stupid, unrealilistic, and certainly takes away from the RPG/Reality/Fantasy of the game"

You want a realistic, reality based fantasy game.... you see the oxymoron in that right?  So they cant walk off an edge or jump or swim.  If this is what makes or breaks a game for you then you have a very low threshold of games in general.

EVE - Sharvala
    FFXI - Shazamalicious
    Guild Wars - Xavier Lucifer & Charlize the Necro
    "Ranged...stuck...tree...15 random words... suck... noob fanboy... I MAKE GUIDE!"

• AkaraxleAkaraxle Member UncommonPosts: 471

Originally posted by Spymade
    Ok, after playing WoW, which I thought was an extremely awesome game, I decided to buy Guild Wars Nightfall because of two reasons. The first, of course, being that there is no monthly fee. The second was based solely on the fact that it was the highest rated game by players voting here on MMORPG.com.
    Why did you buy it? Because you got bored with WoW? WoW an extremely awesome game.

Well, I've got to tell you I was quite disappointed. Two things immediately set me off on this game (keep in mind that my latest comparison would have been WoW).
    And comparing GW with WoW is like comparing pizza with hippo dung, but let's go on...

You couldn't Jump? THERE WAS NO JUMP KEY? WTH?
    Right, but Jump is irrelevant to gameplay and needlessly complicates combat.

So then I questioned, "If I couldn't jump, what happens when you get to a cliff? Do you just fall down or do you get blocked?" Well, unfortunately, it turns out you just stop. STOP!. Your character slides along the apparent edge. That is stupid, unrealilistic, and certainly takes away from the RPG/Reality/Fantasy of the game.
    So realism would mean that your character jumps off the cliff and dies permanently?

Ok... two more .... You get to water, and you can't swim. Wow (NOT WoW), does that suck.
    Right, but Swim is irrelevant to gameplay and needlessly complicates combat.

And finally, the graphics couldn't come close to WoW. Absolutely spectacular video, colors, and dream scape in WoW.
    Umm... images are worth a thousand words (I even chose similar environments):

image image

It's sad how fanaticism can blind objective judgement.

Simple: because GW is more fun to play, in the eyes of mmorpg.com users. Not a MMORPG? There's some posts on this forum proving point by point that in fact it can be considered one; even if it wasn't, /care.

Originally posted by heerobya
    but WoW is clearly the best in all categories in the mmorpg.com rating system in my opinion. I gave wow perfect 10/10 just to hope to help bump it up above the competition which, as you say, does not deserve to be above WoW
    Heh. Apparently, you're part of a minority thinking so.

• pureazurepureazure Member Posts: 148

Guildwars is great.

No grind.

No uber items -> Fair PvP

No raiding.

Can solo or group when you feel like it.

// The G&H Townhall - http://gnhth.vault.ign.com - a Gods and Heroes fansite

• funnysmilesfunnysmiles Member Posts: 37

I played both Wow & GW and each one got something to offer, WoW PvE is great but GW PvP is much better.

That is why i play both games :)

• GableGable Member UncommonPosts: 44
    That was weird...did you just make a post saying that GW was comprable to WOW?  Better, even?  And it seemed that it might have taken a long time ot make that post too.  Strange.  Your arguments about jumping and swimming being irrelevent are simply mind-blowing.

I played each of those games.  WoW for 7 months of great fun before I moved on.  Guild Wars for about two or three weeks, and man, was it awful.

The reason why GW is ranked better here?  Simple.  WoW players are too busy ENJOYING thier game, while bored GW players are trolling forums looking to bad mouth WoW.  So sad.
  • kanuvaskanuvas Member Posts: 41

Nothing else need be said.
  • outthislifeoutthislife Member Posts: 115

What he said.

Also, GW has MUCH MUCH better graphics than WoW.

Originally posted by Gable
    That was weird...did you just make a post saying that GW was comprable to WOW? Better, even?
    I believe in no sentence I affirmed either. I said that GW's graphics is better (quite an obvious AND objective statement, just compare the graphics engines), and that if WoW isn't anywhere on the top lost it should mean that it's considered less fun than the others by mmorpg.com users. Putting words in other people's mouths isn't good reasoning.

And it seemed that it might have taken a long time ot make that post too. Strange.
    Why do you say that? I always put extra care when trying to prove points, and I also am not a native English speaker *shrug*.

Your arguments about jumping and swimming being irrelevent are simply mind-blowing.
    If you played GW long enough to realize how its combat system works, you'd have figured it out yourself. Jumping (or swimming, for that matter) adds no depth to combat: in WoW it's a ridiculous practice that has no tangible impact either, other than causing desyncing and annoyance, since projectiles - unlike in GW - are like homing missiles.
    In short, jumping and swimming only improve immersion. And guess what GW is about? Combat.

(WARCRYtm brings good examples of no-jump MMORPGs too, actually.)

I played each of those games. WoW for 7 months of great fun before I moved on. Guild Wars for about two or three weeks, and man, was it awful.
    Two-three weeks are still "complete newbie" phase in GW, and that definitely sheds more light on why you'd care about jumping.

The reason why GW is ranked better here? Simple. WoW players are too busy ENJOYING thier game, while bored GW players are trolling forums looking to bad mouth WoW. So sad.
    Last time I checked, this forum was infested by WoW subscribers (like the OP) that were bored with their own game and decided to troll us. Conversely, how many GW players do you see trolling on the WoW forums?
    About me, I'm slacking off at work atm. If I could play GW, I'd honestly would - which I do when I'm at home, instead of posting here to try and clear the mist out of people's minds like I do in the morning.

• RPGnubRPGnub Member Posts: 96
    One would assume that if you wanted another game just like WoW you'd have looked for a game that resembles it more closely.

Honestly, it was your fault about not getting any info about GW other than that it is "WoW with no fee".

Now before I bought GW (and I still think it was the best money I ever spent on a game) I made sure to get some info about it.

The instancing is mentioned in reviews as is the linear pathing. While I don't regard either of them as a negative point since they are important for the game to work the way it does I knew about that beforehand and was able to make a decision whether it was really what I was looking for. Anyway, if you want something more like WoW there are plenty of games which give you just what you're looking for but Guild Wars is not one of them.

Also I am getting the impression that your post is clearly aimed at dissing the game but let me tell you that your beloved WoW would still not be at the top 10 even if you somehow managed to persuade people to assume that GW plain sucks. There are still plenty of other games on that list that people simply considered to be better than WoW.

You mentioned that you gave WoW a straight 10 in everything. Well I didn't give GW a 10 rating because I am not trying to hype a game but give an honest opinion about it. A game doesn't suddenly deserve a 10 in graphics or content just because you loved the overall game so much you know ?

Honestly, I wish whoever is in charge of this site would just delete any ratings of a total 10 or total 1 because no game deserves either.
  • ThamorisThamoris Member UncommonPosts: 686

People looking to find a traditional mmorpg experience from GW will be disappointed. The level 20 cap should be ones first big red flag to this fact.

Guild Wars is all about PvP. The PvE is almost a side game. To fully enjoy GW one must enjoy PvP....alot. The game is centered on group PvP. Take the name for example...another red flag..Guild Wars. The PvE portion of the game is mostly used to hang with friends, play the story line, and as a way to build a character from scratch. One could also build a very competitive character that is maxed in levels with max gear ( after unlocking some weapon upgrades and skills ) from day one. 

Guild Wars is more akin to a card game with your skills being the cards. You play the game...find / unlock as many skills as you can ..there are hundreds of em , BUT you can only bring 8 at a time to any pvp session. That would be your " battle deck "..and for me...that is where all the fun is to be had. Trying and testing out various combinations of skills...building various decks depending on what one thinks will help them or their group win in PvP.

It's a classic...easy to play..hard to master game.

To compare GW with WoW or any other mmorpg is like comparing a Ferrari with a luxury tour bus. Both have wheels and an engine but are entirely differetent vehicles with entirely different purposes. Saying GW sucks because you can't jump is like saying that Ferrari sucks because I can't even fit four people inside. ( not the greatest of analogies...but hey..its 430 am..you get the point )

It's more of a co-op game than a true mmorpg.

• GenoismGenoism Member Posts: 15
    u dont need to ask whats the best game out there...sales and current subscription speaks for itself. Does GW have 8 million people on it? Nuff said. Does it make it better then all other games? No - each to his own, just cuz 8 million people like WoW and you like GW doesnt mean your game sux it means you have dif tastes, thats all. Pretty damn freakin pointless pointing out the faults of each game, cuz there is no perfect game out there.
  • ThamorisThamoris Member UncommonPosts: 686
    Originally posted by Genoism

u dont need to ask whats the best game out there...sales and current subscription speaks for itself. Does GW have 8 million people on it? Nuff said. Does it make it better then all other games? No - each to his own, just cuz 8 million people like WoW and you like GW doesnt mean your game sux it means you have dif tastes, thats all. Pretty damn freakin pointless pointing out the faults of each game, cuz there is no perfect game out there.

The number of subscriptions means nothing.

8 million people watch American Idol too.....I rest my case.

Also, WoW is a game for the masses, designed to get everyone as addicted as possible and meant sell a lot; GW, in turn, is definitely not. It's already a wonder it manages to rank so high...

• QSatuQSatu Member UncommonPosts: 1,795
    I just wanted to add..  gW isn;t as popular as WoW but it's propably the biggest western mmo after WoW and ANet managed to do that withour big franchise and millions in advertising..  =] besides i will be always gratefull ANet and NCSoft for actually trying to do something different..  they tried and they succeded ^^
  • RPGnubRPGnub Member Posts: 96
    I also wanted to mention that I like how Guild Wars doesn't give players the ability to jump or more importantly the ability to bunnyhop.

Just imagine what PvP would look like if people could bunnyhop around to dodge spells (remember Counter Strike ).

Other than that there also simply is no necessity for swimming or jumping ingame since the *borders* are a necessary part of the gameplay since many of the missions and quests wouldn't work otherwise.

In case you haven't noticed, the game is somewhat story-driven and for that quite linear, thus you have a relatively linear path to follow.
  • GenoismGenoism Member Posts: 15
    Originally posted by Thamoris

Originally posted by Genoism

The number of subscriptions means nothing.

8 million people watch American Idol too.....I rest my case.

lol how old are you? You rest your case LOL. Dear god, because you said the amount of subs means nothing clearly it must mean nothing eh? My dear friend, you need to go back to school - that and you will one day learn that generally when 8 million people like one game and maybe 1 million like another game, it means the game that 8 million people like is superior. I'm glad your case is at rest lol.
  • rich9995rich9995 Member UncommonPosts: 25

I've been reading these posts, and felt a post is worthy due to my longstanding addiction to GW..

I've been playing since the first beta weekend event, and haven't had more fun with a game ever.   THe PVE aspects of the game are solid.. I wouldn't say they're any better than some MMO's out there, but I felt entertained.  The difficulty of party formation with other players  can be frustrating, but with the addtion of hero's and henchmen, you can pretty much solo the game anyway.. at least up to a certain point, which brings challenge back to the game anyway, creating more longevity of play.  The PVP aspects of this game are unmatched IMO.. with the GVG strategy's and builds that are out there, and the skill and knowledge people have for the game, what more could you ask for.?  The very best players at this game have a full understanding of at least 90% of the skills in the game, how they work with each other, how they counter each other, and how they're best utilized considering the 'state of the game'.   If you're a serious MMORPG  gamer, and enjoy PVP this is the game for you.  What other game can you jump right into PVP with any of thousands of different skills combinations and 9 different classes to chose..  you don't even have to pve at all, if you want PVP exclusively just create a pvp character and go nuts.. create 8 different PVP character classes.. just try to stick to one build or strategy..the way that NCSoft has responded to the community is pretty impressive as well.. new content and events every month, if not every weekend.. they're always throwing new things into the game to please the masses.  The level of competition in this game is what has been a huge bonus for me.. isn't that what pvp is all about anyway.. why do people still continue to play counter strike.. the competition.. if you really dedicate some serious pvp consideration to guild wars, you won't be dissapointed.. the tournaments and pvp content is pretty ridiculous.. if you get a group of 12 guys that are serious, and know the game, you can have endless amounts of fun.  You really can tell just talking to somebody if they're serious or just casual in guild wars immediately.. sit and talk skill tactics and combinations for 10 minutes with someone who knows what they're talking about, you'd be surprised how much you thought you knew .. and realize how much you don't. 

GW = best CORPG PVP game ever!

peace