Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

IMO why this game is hated by by pre-wow gamers and loved by millions of new and even some old gamer

wolffinwolffin Member UncommonPosts: 193

I have to admit that when WoW first launched I was in the hater category. Why? Well after having so much time pass I can look back and say it was largely due to the hit the game I was playing at the time took. Back then I was playing DAoC hardcore(wich I had played since just after release). Some friends finaly talked me into giving it a try after it had been out for about two months. I made a hunter got to about level 18 and stopped. The colors in the game were pretty enough seemed a lil more cartoony than I was used to. Over all I didnt see anything exceptionaly different from any other MMORPG I had played. Except everything was some what easier and more accesable and or easy especialy crafting. MMORPGS arent suposed to be easy its suposed to be hard you got to bleed for what you get this made me dislike it even more. I went back to DAoC. Well DAoC began its downward spiral to turn into the ghost town of cluster fracked wreck that it has become but I hang in for the hope that it would make a come back. The more I watched DAoC die the more I hated WoW. 

I finaly left DAoC about 4 months ago after getting a lot of free time on my hands due to health problems and set out to find something new to play.  About that time my gamin PC took a nose dive and due to finacial reasons  ended up playing games an old dinosaur I had laying around. I ended trying Eve because my dinosaur ran on it I loved the game, excellent game all around but I realy wanted soemthing where I could cast a spell and swing a sword. So i dug out my old cd's for WoW and figured what the hell ill give it a go again and see what happens. I cant belive how much I love this game this go around. Largely due I belive because I went in with an open mind this time. I realised that the reason DAoC was dieing was because of poor decisions mythic had made and not because of WoW.

Now that I am playing WoW and enjoying it so much I have noticed so many great things about it. Its no wonder 8 million people world wide play it. It has fun entertaining quests. Sure its a grind game but not the grind of its predecessors. Crafting is so painless its unreal. You don't need a power house PC to run it. This game appeals to average people. WoW took the majority gamer of yesterday and put them into a minority of to day. WoW dosnt actualy have any quality about it that you cant find in any other game. How ever it has the good quality's in abundance wehere most games only have few. Initialy WoW's early PvP was a turn off for me. I didnt much care for the orignaly BG's fighting for a flag but I love the new Bg's where you fight for teritory and fight to keep it. Like I said WoW appeals to the average person who will most likely never lay eyes on a gaming forum like this.

People say WoW's success is because of the Warcraft name. Sure it got people to try it in the begening but I think they got more people on the name blizzard due to diablo. The reason its still going to day is word of mouth and the fact just about anyone can grab a copy of it and throw it in there machine with out having to worry about there system requirements.  Think about it millions of homes have an average pc sitting there that will run WoW. They wan't to be able to play a game and have fun without spending another nickle on there machine. Blizzard cashed in on this and are reaping the rewards.

It boils down to this WoW is a fun stable polished game that will run on the average persons PC and looks great. It incorperates the things that made its predacessors fun with less effort. If more gaming company's took this approach I think PC games would tower over consoles. Seriously think about it. A console is cheaper than a top of the line video card no wonder consoles are booming. This is something Blizzard has evidently realised and im pretty sure is the reason there system requirements didnt go up with the new expansion. Wich is a great expansion in my opinion. The new area's and new races look great on my old warhorse PC.

Anyways that my thoughts and opinions on why so many older gamers hate it and why so many new gamers like it( and even a few older ones)

Comments

• GodliestGodliest Member Posts: 3,486

As it was a really lot of text I didn't read it all through, but I agree with u about that WoW is good. BUt I didn't see any opinion why it's hated? Probably didn't read it through enough.

• kaibigan34kaibigan34 Member Posts: 1,508
    Basically it boils down to two types of people.

Type 1: Not their cup of tea. They just dont like it. Either they played so many other MMOs that they cant stomach another one like the others or they just dont like the world glam. These are the ones I actually respect and have no problem with at all.

Type 2: Jealous because their favorite game isnt as popular as WoW and they think it should be. So they take it out on WoW instead of the people they should be taking it on. The company behind their favorite game.

Most people fall under the Type 2 category. Why do I say that? Because 90% of the Type 1 players dont really give a crap about the game and if they see some post or hear convo about it they ignore it. They might offer a few things. But usually they pass. The Type 2 people go out of their way to insult, put down, or otherwise give WoW a bad name as much as possible.

Occasionally you will find a review  or post of WoW from a Type 1 and the review is usually quite thought out because the guy/girl actually tried the game with an open mind. The Type 2 people who actually try the game out will usually go in with a bad impression to begin with and will only see bad no matter what.

Kai
  • GodliestGodliest Member Posts: 3,486

Pretty true Kaibigan34, but u missed some sort of guys.

1. These guys are the persons who didn't get what they wanted from the higher lvl when they was nub and therefore whine about the community and the game. These guys tend to give not a single reason why the game is bad and will always ignore ur question on how far they came into the game.

2. THese guys are those who always follows with the rest. If they see two posts about that the community is bad they will agree with them and state the same reasons for it. I myself is sometimes like this, simply because I don't like to get totally flamed down when I say my opinion.

• Llama2032Llama2032 Member Posts: 15
    I played this game for a good 2 years, and quit due to the fact that the community was filled of immature kids. I like this game a lot, but could not handle another Chuck Norris joke. In the time that I did play WoW, I had probably heard about 10 million Chuck Norris jokes. Te thing I don't like about this game is the grind. The end-game experience in this game is incredible. I would still be playing this game, if it weren't for the fact that I had to go back to the towns, and had to hear the non-stop kiddie spam. Overall, this game is awesome, but it does take a while to get to level 60, now 70. This game is also Time consuming, and demanding. I would honestly not want to leave the house to go have a nice family dinner, because it would mean missing my MC, BWL, ZG, or AQ raid. This is a great game, but if your reading this and are thinking about joining consider the cons.
  • A_N_T_IA_N_T_I Member Posts: 159
    I concur: end-game (aka poserior to reaching lvl 60 [70] ) is when the real fun begins, imo. For instance, you can start working on gear you know you'll actually need for a longer time than a week, due to leveling from the gear.

Hello there, adventurer!

• paadepaade Member Posts: 471
    ive only tried WoW briefly, and most likely will never actually play it. Why? I just dont see anything there worth playing it. What would make it interesting to me? Meaningfull pvp.

No, i dont consider Ranks or collecting sand as meaningful pvp...
  • godpuppetgodpuppet Member Posts: 1,416
    Im one of these "old mmo'ers" played EQ, DAoC & AO when they first retailed and I absolutely loved WoW. The difficulty for me was a breath of fresh air and instead of having to hard labor over my characters I actually started enjoying PVE for once.

The only con I see with WoW is community. Where in older games players grouped out of compulsion for better XP, people only come together in WoW for loot which doesnt build good player relationships. Players in WoW are very selfish and dissattatched from eachother, on PVP servers its often hateful.

Perhaps what you say is true, older gamers hate wow becuase its too easy and/or make rash judgements due to the effects its had on your present game. If thats the case thats really quite sad.

---

• KnightblastKnightblast Member UncommonPosts: 1,787
    My impression is that WoW often does not appeal to the "connoiseur" type of MMO gamer: the one who has played most of the games that have been released, and values complexity, originality, uniqueness, challenge.  WoW was not made with these folks in mind -- it was not trying to be the "ultimate MMO" for elite, experienced MMO gamers.  Instead, it was trying to bring the best of the MMO genre to a wide audience and make what was previously a niche genre compared to other kinds of games into a mass market genre. 

In a way, this is what Blizzard does.  They did the same thing with the RTS genre when they did the Starcraft and Warcaft lines of games.  The basic idea is to take a niche genre, refocus the game design on the "fun" elements, trim away the more "baroque" elements that appeal primarily to the niche crowd, redesign the interface to make it very accessible to newcomers, wrap the game around a fun and interesting storyline, and make the code as elegant and spotless as possible,  and playable on a wide variety of platforms ... and voila, all of a sudden a niche game becomes a mass market powerhouse.  This is exactly what Blizzard did with the MMO genre in designing WoW:  it wasn't intended to be original, unique or complex, it was intended to take the most fun core elements of the fantasy MMO genre and render them in an accessible way to attract many more people to the genre who previously had stayed far away from MMOs.  And it was a brilliant success.

I think most of the critics of WoW you see on this website, for example, are pretty advanced, hardcore MMO players.  They're lookikng for something that has more depth, challenge, originality than WoW, and that's fair enough.  But for the vast majority of gamers who are not hardcore MMO players, WoW is fun on a stick, really.
  • KazeemiaKazeemia Member Posts: 60

Playing most MMO's demands decent rigs. Decent computer rigs aren't cheap, so the ones who play MMO's that requires a good PC do have some amount of cash. Therefore the playerbase is naturally older, and, most likely, a lot more dedicated.

WoW is available for most PC systems, and subsequently most people. That way  (younger) customers who can't afford a 3,4 ghz, 2gb ram, 8800 gforce system still have something to play.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498

I'm an older MMO gamer (really old actually) and I enjoyed my time with WOW. (1.75 yrs).  I've quit playing and moved on, but I don't hate it, I had some really good times leveling up characters there.  I left because I didn't care for the raid based end game, and the way it consumes your life.  (and the loss of sleep)

Most MMO players with a few games under their belts are looking for a bit more depth than WoW provides, hence they don't care for it.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon