Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Lost cause for a noob?

Is it even worth trying to get into this game at this point? I tried the free trial and the game seemed really, really empty, and the few players I did see were all way out of my level range to party and/or fight with.

If you want a real harsh death penalty, go play Russian Roulet. - Hamzal

Comments

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,505

I'm going to assume you did not start a character in the Classic (Bossiny Cluster) servers of either Gareth, Ector or Lamorak.  If you had, you would have seen new players everywhere, at almost any time of the day or night....

I can't speak for the RP or traditional clusters, haven't played there since my return in November.  But as far as classic servers go...plenty of people to group up with.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• LithdovLithdov Member Posts: 173
    So if you want to play with the Trials of Atlantis expansion content, you're out of luck as far as finding anyone to play with?

If you want a real harsh death penalty, go play Russian Roulet. - Hamzal

• NierroNierro Member UncommonPosts: 1,755
    Basically, but why would you want to play with ToA content? Everyone on those servers is probably at least ML4 as an average, and for sure they'll all be 50, and for sure they'll have muchhhh better gear than you in NF.

Some folks say that theres still life on some of the TOA servers.....I'll leave it up to them to post where...

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• JulianDracosJulianDracos Member UncommonPosts: 1,528
    There are way too many factors to make a case.  When you started the trial, what server, what realm, what time you play, what days, etc.

If you picked what the game suggests you end up with the lowest populated realm/server.  If you play outside of 4pm-1am eastern then there are going to be fewer players.

I see people all the time when I am leveling up.  I have been asked to group.  The thing is, most players, either through lack of knowledge or because we are in the age of WoW have no idea on how to get a group in DAOC.  There is a huge amount of content so people are spread out.  There are instrances people are in.  Add on top of that fact, that a person can level any class with almost any spec solo.   If you were to play on the Classic servers you will see a lot more people.  More people there are willing to group as well.  But, the fact is, the most efficient way to level is solo/due.  You can solo oranges which is good XP.  If you group with one other person you can solo reds.  The only reason to group more than that is if there is a large fast poping camp of reds/purples.  You Xp is caped at a certain amount per level. 

Anyway, they have gotten most people out of the instances.  I play on a tiny server and I still see people out doing things.  The best thing you can do when looking for a group is to do a search for people in your level range and ask them if they want to group. 
  • jeeperzjeeperz Member Posts: 71

Originally posted by Kyleran

Some folks say that theres still life on some of the TOA servers.....I'll leave it up to them to post where...

They HAVE posted where - you just don't happen to agree.  It does get tiresome to see the same 3 or 4 people constantly saying Classic is the only way to go -- there is plenty of life on the other servers.  The changes to ToA were made quite awhile ago now - so hardly a reasonable complaint anymore.   Classic is fine - play there sometimes myself, but I think I prefer the ToA servers overall.  There is no RIGHT opinion here - so would be lovely if you guys didnt feel that you have to bash the Regular/ToA servers in order to say that you prefer another choice.

I invite people to group - and have been invited while leveling new toons.   I found people to be generous and helpful.  I  keep armor, weapons and some items around to give to new people to help them get started - got that idea from others that do the same.   There are friendly helpful people on ALL servers - maybe timing was a problem?  Check out the Camelotherald.com for guilds looking for members, an even better way to get around any server.

Originally posted by jeeperz

They HAVE posted where - you just don't happen to agree.  It does get tiresome to see the same 3 or 4 people constantly saying Classic is the only way to go -- there is plenty of life on the other servers.  The changes to ToA were made quite awhile ago now - so hardly a reasonable complaint anymore.   Classic is fine - play there sometimes myself, but I think I prefer the ToA servers overall.  There is no RIGHT opinion here - so would be lovely if you guys didnt feel that you have to bash the Regular/ToA servers in order to say that you prefer another choice.

I invite people to group - and have been invited while leveling new toons.   I found people to be generous and helpful.  I  keep armor, weapons and some items around to give to new people to help them get started - got that idea from others that do the same.   There are friendly helpful people on ALL servers - maybe timing was a problem?  Check out the Camelotherald.com for guilds looking for members, an even better way to get around any server.

You do know Jeeperz... my comment wasn't a bash on TOA servers  I was merely stating that I have been told that TOA servers are active (I certainly wouldn't know) and I left the door open for someone like you to provide this person some solid information (in this thread) on a good choice of server. (er...you sort of missed your chance, btw)

And... I don't think listing what I view are positives differences for Classic Servers vs the negatives (IMO) of a TOA server can be considered bashing.  If I claimed that all people who played TOA servers were clueless noobs...i'd be bashing... but stating that I feel Classic servers are superior because they lack buff-bots, the overhead of TOA ML/arty leveling (which some folks will like of course), higher server populations etc is just defending my choice of recommending them to a new player.

Just for the record, going forward...any time a player creates a thread here asking where they should play or find the most activity I'm going to be here recommending Classic servers to them. Sorry if you feel thats a slam on your preference, but then again..I'm trying to help them, not you.

I do cheer for the home team you know.

New players like to see a lot of people.  This is why I will usually say Classic.  It is still possible to get groups on the other servers without too much trouble, but it can look empty.  Perception is what matters to many people.  What happens is that someone will login and expect there to be a decent number of people in their starting area, that are their level, and want to group.  If that is not what they see then they think the server is dead, everyone is so much ahead they will never "catch up" (this is made worse by a few people coming to this forum and posting such nonsense), and then come here and say it is not worth playing without ever putting much effort into the game. 

With clustering, most of the ToA servers have a healthy enough population.  Some individual servers are more populated than others and if you just login and create a toon on one of the more populated ToA servers then I think things would be different. 
  • jeeperzjeeperz Member Posts: 71

Just for the record, going forward...any time a player creates a thread here asking where they should play or find the most activity I'm going to be here recommending Classic servers to them. Sorry if you feel thats a slam on your preference, but then again..I'm trying to help them, not you.

I do cheer for the home team you know.

I do cheer for the home team -- that would be the game in general  with ALL the options.   I don't  only tell people my preferance  and state it as if that is the only  best choice....  I don't feel its a slam on my preferance - I just don't think it  is giving a complete answer to the question or giving any real choices.

I truely am not needing your help - I do well on both ToA and Classic. 

Yes ToA servers have buff bots - but the classic also has the tag along bots -- just missing the Font of Power...

Julian has it right on the perception statement...

I also wonder if those that say I cant find a group ever try to invite someone to group with them...  that would be 'putting a little effort into the game".

• Theres life in this game yet.

It can be tough for real new players as some of the start up area's are pretty empty.

We are trying to rebuild our guild on the Mid side of the Killibury cluster and have picked up 5 or 6 genuinely new players in the last 10 days as well some more experienced players.

Personally I would say always start on the TOA servers but that is just an opinion.

If you or anyone is looking for a guild on the Mid side of Killibury just send a tell to me Redax-p or acidrain-m and we'll try and get you on board.

This is a great game with lots to do (frustrating at times in rvr but thats to be expected) and is worth a try of anyones time.

/salute
  • SubrennaSubrenna Member Posts: 31
    I spent some time reading sites like this before I decided to play, got the free trial and went to check out the highly praised Classic Gareth.  Seemed a little over rated to me -  I wasn't a complete noob to the mmorpgs but semi new to daoc -  I found the ones in the starter  guild to be complainers mostly- and the guilds that invited me -- we SO intense -- red your dead and kill or be killed - level to bgs and get busy!  Just more pressure than I was looking for in a game. 

I tried the toa servers,  devon cluster , and found people to be friendly Still preparing to PVP but not so intense.  I did not have trouble finding people in the starter towns. 

I love having so many choices before I decide on my home.  I am currently with one foot in Devon and one in Gaheris.  I read that people call Gaheris Carebears, I think thats appropriate only cuz everyone there is very friendly/  I will  learn the country sides there but probably return to devon and my mid girl there.

I was almost discouraged by the complainers that say how the game is dead - imo they should just be quiet and go play somewhere else if they really want to  but not influence people that might want to play daoc. well thats a lot to say - ok  i'm sure a few will tell me I am all wrong - but nonetheless thats what I found in my experience.
    Originally posted by Subrenna

I was almost discouraged by the complainers that say how the game is dead - imo they should just be quiet and go play somewhere else if they really want to  but not influence people that might want to play daoc. well thats a lot to say - ok  i'm sure a few will tell me I am all wrong - but nonetheless thats what I found in my experience.
    Those who say this game is dead come in two varieties:

1.  Those that think they are genuinely helpful by trying to get the person to not "waste" a few hours of his time on a game that is dead.

2.  Those that are really out to sink this game.  That is they do not want this game to be around anymore at either a conscious or unconscious level.  It are the "the game was good in its day . . ." type posts.