Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Wow breaks 8 million subs!

http://www.blizzard.com/press/070111.shtml

Also broke the 2 million member mark in North America - kudos to Blizzard for bringing MMO's to the masses!  WOW proves yet again it is the undisputed KING of MMOs!

Flame on fanbois :)

Comments

• LazzaroLazzaro Member UncommonPosts: 548

The game is still boring :P

• QSatuQSatu Member UncommonPosts: 1,796
    i will say I'm impressed when i will be able to play with those 8 mill people in 1 server =P What's the point of having gazillion players when you can only play with 3k? =/
  • BaerfBaerf Member Posts: 72
    I´ll be impressed when they start investing those 100s of millions of dollars they make per year into the game. Hell, just a small percentage they make hand over fist would be nice.
  • LordSlaterLordSlater Member Posts: 2,087
    Originally posted by TwilightEdge

i will say I'm impressed when i will be able to play with those 8 mill people in 1 server =P What's the point of having gazillion players when you can only play with 3k? =/
    Amen

• Major_SkillzMajor_Skillz Member Posts: 84
    Originally posted by Baerf

I´ll be impressed when they start investing those 100s of millions of dollars they make per year into the game. Hell, just a small percentage they make hand over fist would be nice.
    lol. Right on.
  • NadrilNadril Member Posts: 1,276
    Originally posted by Major_Skillz

lol. Right on.

I'd be impressed if out of those 10k people in EVE I ever saw more than 6 at once.

Sorry, just had to say it.

And before someone says they are lying, its a press confrence. They released numbers like 2mil in america 1.5m in europe and 3.5m in asia. The rest are from everywhere else.

• Zaxx99Zaxx99 Member Posts: 1,761

McDonalds has also served over 500 billion hamburgers too. And a local ma & pa joint in my home town serves burgers with home baked buns, real hand pressed burgers over an open flamed grill, and french fries sliced by hand from locally grown potatoes. These burgers and fries are mouth watering statues of taste bud explosions and only for a small amount more then what McDonalds serves in their greasy wrappers and brown paper bags. I'd guess that this one local joint I speak of has served way less then 1% of the 5 local McDonalds close to me. So therefore the McDonalds burgers MUST be much better huh? Numbers mean EVERYTHING. 8 million people can't be wrong, right? McDonalds MUST make the best burgers in the whole damn world! image image

Stop following all the blind sheep people. If you genuinely love WOW, great. But if WOW is the only MMO you've ever played, do yourself and the competition to Blizzard a favor. Try something else. You might be surprised.

- Zaxx

• XApotheosisXXApotheosisX Member Posts: 277
    And Titanic is the largest grossing movie of all time ... so i guess that means it's the GREATEST MOVIE OF ALL TIME ... right WoW dumbasses er fans?
  • XennithXennith Member Posts: 1,244
    the one and only thing i respect WoW for is that it has cracked open the MMORPG market to new blood. this means that more companies recognise MMOs are profitable, and so we as gamers get more choice. YAY!

WoW itself is kinda meh after a while, good game, bit repetative, too gear based for my liking.
  • mbbladembblade Member Posts: 747
    The only thing that WoW did was bring the brain dead peeps and the 5 years to games.  It gives you everything and is child friendly.  After WoW you will hear all the complaining that the games are toooooo hard.  So i see al the MMOs from now on are going to be centered to the idiots.
  • XApotheosisXXApotheosisX Member Posts: 277
    Originally posted by mbblade

The only thing that WoW did was bring the brain dead peeps and the 5 years to games.  It gives you everything and is child friendly.  After WoW you will hear all the complaining that the games are toooooo hard.  So i see al the MMOs from now on are going to be centered to the idiots.
    great point you can already hear it with any MMO that comes out. "death penalty?!?! why is that needed this game is supposed to be fun not hard".
  • coffeecoffee Member Posts: 2,007
    Originally posted by zaxtor99

McDonalds has also served over 500 billion hamburgers too. And a local ma & pa joint in my home town serves burgers with home baked buns, real hand pressed burgers over an open flamed grill, and french fries sliced by hand from locally grown potatoes. These burgers and fries are mouth watering statues of taste bud explosions and only for a small amount more then what McDonalds serves in their greasy wrappers and brown paper bags. I'd guess that this one local joint I speak of has served way less then 1% of the 5 local McDonalds close to me. So therefore the McDonalds burgers MUST be much better huh? Numbers mean EVERYTHING. 8 million people can't be wrong, right? McDonalds MUST make the best burgers in the whole damn world!
    Stop following all the blind sheep people. If you genuinely love WOW, great. But if WOW is the only MMO you've ever played, do yourself and the competition to Blizzard a favor. Try something else. You might be surprised.

- Zaxx
    Burger king makes the best damn burgers, it has proper fresh salad in em, and a thick juice slab of meat.

CoH = Yay..uh..Nah (5-6 months, was fun at first)

EQ2 = muh (3 months)

EvE = ARGGG! (2 hours, didn't get passed the torture sequence.. erm i mean the tutorial)

VG = W00t (5 day in the beta, got to lvl 14, just dissapointed, feels rushed and empty)

WoW = Yeah baby, thats the stuff ( 9 months and counting, 2 lvl 60's all the way to Naxx with my main, slight issue with end game but TBC wil fix that. )

I've played all those and for me WoW wins, I say so, 8 million other people say so, reviews say so, awards so say and best of all chuck norris says so.

Why do people hate sucess? always wanna beat the Man down, if EvE or EQ2 were pulling 8 million we be pulling those games down too, but they dont pull 8 million and why? cus they aint as good or as friendly as WoW (IMHO).

WoW deserve a little respect, even from the haters, its brough MMO's to the front, it did for MMO's what Doom did for FPS and Command and conquer did for RTS, come on you got to admit that atleast.

Originally posted by TwilightEdge

The issue here is that EvE game world is 1000's of times larger (mosty empty space ofc), dont know what its like in EvE but when I was dragging my self through the tutorial I saw just 1 other player ship, in WoW you be hard pressed to go 5 minuets without seeing another player even in the zones far away from the cities and thats on my server with a medium>high population, so I think blizz got the server population numbers spot on.

Blizz are slow with the big expansion, even they said they planned to have TBC out 6 months ago but were side tracked by the massive sucess of WoW.  Blizz are spending some of that money in new server farms in China and 1 in europe, and ofc they prob spent more money on the expansion than most companies spend developing a game. 

But TBH I rather hope they save this money, which they have earned, and Make a new MMO in a few years time, maybe Diablo or starcraft .

Meh.... /Yawn ... heared it all b4.. nah nah nah.

• nomadiannomadian Member Posts: 3,490

Still want to know.. how many sales.

• SigneSigne Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 2,524
    eek!  I don't want to play with 8 million people on the same server in ANY game,  just as I don't want to eat a burger in the same room with 500 billion.  The thought of either makes me a bit queasy.
    Originally posted by nomadian

Still want to know.. how many sales.
    Why?

They count only active subscribers and in Asia you download the game theres no box to buy.  But I guess they sold more than 1.5 million in europe and more than 2 million in North america so thats atleast 3.5Million boxes sold in the West. 

Even if you play the trial and want to continue after it u still have to buy a box for the CDKEY.

You guys are still looking for a way to poke holes in the figures.  Even if we half the number to 4 million its still the biggest. Get over it and go play what ever game makes you happy, Ill go play wow cus that makes me happy... cant we all just get along?

I'll tell you what the best MMO is... its real life, now i can poke some holes in that I can tell you.

• KaptainZergKaptainZerg Member Posts: 322

Originally posted by Lazzaro
    The game is still boring :P

lol.

What Lazzaro said.

PS: Kudos to Blizzard, the Micro$oft of the pc games industry, for furthering big business' efforts to make consummers as mentally stagnate as possible. Politicians and bureaucrat can only dream of this kind of success.

• -aLpHa--aLpHa- Member UncommonPosts: 852
    Yes Blizzard is so Evil, they will probably start the 3rd World War watchout its coming!!!
  • MenawaMenawa Member Posts: 22

My account was active when they first boasted of 7 million registered users, but how many of those registered users have active accounts. Maybe they do have that many playing but where are they? Cties and zones  generally had few people and someties 0 even on full servers. I guess they stay packed away in BG and Raid instances. I will be amazed if most of the 8 million registered users have active accounts because its hard to believe that many people are amused by such a simple minded, repetitive game. There are no objectives except to get gear because there is no military, political, or economic warfare. Its just a simple, grind to get gear game. So in the end I guess WoW: TBC stands for World of Warcraft: The Beauty Contest. Seriously, after you get all your new t4 or t5 gear or ever  how high it goes, what else is there to do but see who has the pretiest things.

• -aLpHa--aLpHa- Member UncommonPosts: 852
    World of Warcraft's Subscriber Definition

World of Warcraft subscribers include individuals who have paid a subscription fee or have an active prepaid card to play World of Warcraft, as well as those who have purchased the game and are within their free month of access. Internet Game Room players who have accessed the game over the last thirty days are also counted as subscribers. The above definition excludes all players under free promotional subscriptions, expired or cancelled subscriptions, and expired prepaid cards. Subscribers in licensees' territories are defined along the same rules.

Quated from Blizzard.com Press release.
  • MunkiMunki Member CommonPosts: 2,128
    Originally posted by zaxtor99

McDonalds has also served over 500 billion hamburgers too. And a local ma & pa joint in my home town serves burgers with home baked buns, real hand pressed burgers over an open flamed grill, and french fries sliced by hand from locally grown potatoes. These burgers and fries are mouth watering statues of taste bud explosions and only for a small amount more then what McDonalds serves in their greasy wrappers and brown paper bags. I'd guess that this one local joint I speak of has served way less then 1% of the 5 local McDonalds close to me. So therefore the McDonalds burgers MUST be much better huh? Numbers mean EVERYTHING. 8 million people can't be wrong, right? McDonalds MUST make the best burgers in the whole damn world!

- Zaxx
    Apples and ham sandwiches buddy. Apples and ham sadwiches. Totally unrelated. I dont think its a blind sheep phenominon. I realize now for most of the WoW bashers its simple a matter of prinicple. But If I have to read another bad anaolgy im gona cry.

after 6 or so years, I had to change it a little...

• druarcdruarc Member Posts: 182
    Originally posted by Nadril

Originally posted by Major_Skillz

lol. Right on.

I'd be impressed if out of those 10k people in EVE I ever saw more than 6 at once.

Sorry, just had to say it.

And before someone says they are lying, its a press confrence. They released numbers like 2mil in america 1.5m in europe and 3.5m in asia. The rest are from everywhere else.

You don't fly round the right systems then, I saw 10 other player ships at one station the other day, and I don't play peak time.

One of the joy's of eve is the ability to get away from other players, but if you mess for a nasty pvp fight you can find it pretty easy.
  • SpeedMannSpeedMann Member UncommonPosts: 333

You must have played it then.

==================================================
    Happy! Happy! Joy! Joy!

• nomadiannomadian Member Posts: 3,490

Why?

They count only active subscribers and in Asia you download the game theres no box to buy. But I guess they sold more than 1.5 million in europe and more than 2 million in North america so thats atleast 3.5Million boxes sold in the West.
    Even if you play the trial and want to continue after it u still have to buy a box for the CDKEY.

You guys are still looking for a way to poke holes in the figures. Even if we half the number to 4 million its still the biggest. Get over it and go play what ever game makes you happy, Ill go play wow cus that makes me happy... cant we all just get along?

Why? well I just can't see it going up and up like it is. See, there has to be quitters inevitably of every mmorpg there are quitters. But to be going up, the number of new people must be exceeding these quitters.(or the people reactivating their subscription combined with the new people exceeding the number of people terminating their accounts) Anyway, really just curious the sales. It surely must be one of the biggest selling PC games.

• Pride7Pride7 Member Posts: 289
    Originally posted by nomadian

Why?

They count only active subscribers and in Asia you download the game theres no box to buy. But I guess they sold more than 1.5 million in europe and more than 2 million in North america so thats atleast 3.5Million boxes sold in the West.

You guys are still looking for a way to poke holes in the figures. Even if we half the number to 4 million its still the biggest. Get over it and go play what ever game makes you happy, Ill go play wow cus that makes me happy... cant we all just get along?

Why? well I just can't see it going up and up like it is. See, there has to be quitters inevitably of every mmorpg there are quitters. But to be going up, the number of new people must be exceeding these quitters.(or the people reactivating their subscription combined with the new people exceeding the number of people terminating their accounts) Anyway, really just curious the sales. It surely must be one of the biggest selling PC games.

WOW hasn't sank below #3 top selling PC Games, and most of the time has been at #1 since it was released according to NPD.
    The jump form 7.5milion to 8 million in just a few months is probably due to the expansion, i know 5 people who came back a few weeks ago ready for the expansion.

I guess it will go even higher once the x-pac is out.  No MMO last forever but right now WoW is riding high, all you haters have to do is wait.... about 5 years.  And then you can start hating the next big MMO.