Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

8 Million ONLINE?

OgrelinOgrelin Member Posts: 636
I just read the latest news.... is it 8 millions Online or just 8 million sold copies?

Comments

• iCehiCeh Member UncommonPosts: 884
    That's 8 million subscribers! Damn.

-iCeh

• dreamgold4udreamgold4u Member Posts: 17

I don't think so.  2 millions are farmers and most of them are banned.

5 million is probably the better number to guess

Online game forum

http://dreamgold4u.com/forum

Mini MMORPG Online Game Forum
    http://dreamgold4u.com/forum

• LionexxLionexx Member UncommonPosts: 680
    about 7.6 million little kid's.....

Playing: Everthing
    Played: DAoC,AC2,EvE,SWG,WAR,MXO,CoX,EQ2,L2,LOTRO,SB,UO,WoW.
    I have played every MMO that has ever come out.

• tubelighttubelight Member UncommonPosts: 276
    kis or no kids, wow makes hundreds of millions of dollars every month !!!!
  • OgrelinOgrelin Member Posts: 636
    8 Million subs, thats alot of people :) I wonder how many copies they have sold?
  • LordLOCLordLOC Member Posts: 124
    Originally posted by tubelight

kis or no kids, wow makes hundreds of millions of dollars every month !!!!

Actually the "unconfirmed" amount is about $1 Billion a month in revenue.
  • GameloadingGameloading Member UncommonPosts: 14,182
    Yes, those are 8 million subscribers. to those that believe they are sold copies, I point you to the customer definition of the press release.
  • steve_1988steve_1988 Member Posts: 18
    i dont think they have 8 mill its bullsh** they do that to get more subscribers
  • GodliestGodliest Member Posts: 3,486
    Originally posted by steve_1988

I'ts at least 7 millions. And why would blizzard lie, sure maybe its 7.8millions so they say 8 instead of 7.8 but I don't think they are lying that much. They are afterall a big company and lying would lower their trustworth.

• WoobWoob Member CommonPosts: 50
    Originally posted by Recant

Hmm, WHY you keep pointlessly denying these figures?  You can argue quality > quantity, you can make comparisons to Big Mac's and Steaks, but why live in denial?   Just log on and look at how many servers there are, just for YOUR localized copy of WoW.  European WoW. for example has more servers (many of them very full) than most other MMOs have worldwide.  Just log on to each one run around and count how many people you meet.

Just look at the sales charts for PC games. WoW is a huge seller, moreso than any other MMO in terms of boxes. It's easy to see how this figure is accurate.

It doesn't mean you have to like WoW, as terrible as such a thing may be ...
    It doesn't really matter to me how many servers there are..it's more or less telling me that I can't play with > 99% of the rest of everyone else. I dont know...World of Warcraft just bores me I guess.
  • iCehiCeh Member UncommonPosts: 884
    Originally posted by steve_1988

I wish i could live in your world of ignorance, but never change m8, the real world isn't very nice at all. >.<

-iCeh

• DeathOnWingsDeathOnWings Member Posts: 16
    So you are saying that they did not have to sell 8 million copies of the game to get 8 million subs ?

I have not seen that you can only buy the cd-key online, and if you could that would count as a copy.

They do not have 8 million active subs but they have reached the 8 million mark on registerd cd-keys.
  • KoSPr0KoSPr0 Member Posts: 66
    yea... WoW just seems like the big dog in the sea to its little fanboy's who dont pay attention to other MMO's who have double WoW's population

http://www.plaync.com/us/news/2006/11/ncsoftas_lineag_1.html
  • KoSPr0KoSPr0 Member Posts: 66
    AUSTIN, Texas, November 15, 2006— NCsoft® today announced Lineage® II, with more than 14 million customers worldwide.

Just because WoW is big in the US means nothing bout how good a game it is, its one of the few US made games, and it has alot more advert than any other MMO i've ever seen.
  • DajminDajmin Member Posts: 54

One thing to consider when dealing with this, is that just because 8 million people have created an account does not mean there are that number of people still playing.
    The person with account number 0000001 may have cancelled their subscription, but that account number is gone so the next person to create one gets assigned a higher number.
    So they reached account number 8000000, which is good, but for all we know the first 2000000 accounts could be inactive or cancelled.

• coffeecoffee Member Posts: 2,007
    Originally posted by Dajmin

One thing to consider when dealing with this, is that just because 8 million people have created an account does not mean there are that number of people still playing.

The person with account number 0000001 may have cancelled their subscription, but that account number is gone so the next person to create one gets assigned a higher number.

So they reached account number 8000000, which is good, but for all we know the first 2000000 accounts could be inactive or cancelled.
    Its not accounts created (thats prob goona be 15million+) its ACTIVE accounts that are still playable (so not expired/cancelled accounts), you could argue that some 1 quit and still had 2 weeks left on his prepaid time and so would be counted.. but how does blizz know he quit.

World of Warcraft's Subscriber Definition

World of Warcraft subscribers include individuals who have paid a subscription fee or have an active prepaid card to play World of Warcraft, as well as those who have purchased the game and are within their free month of access. Internet Game Room players who have accessed the game over the last thirty days are also counted as subscribers. The above definition excludes all players under free promotional subscriptions, expired or cancelled subscriptions, and expired prepaid cards. Subscribers in licensees' territories are defined along the same rules.

I hope this clears things up for ya.

• baffbaff Member Posts: 9,457
    Originally posted by Ogrelin

8 Million subs, thats alot of people :) I wonder how many copies they have sold?

As of last summer 19, million.

Half the subscribers are from China, they didn't buy a ciopy they play on rented copies in internet cafes.

• ShijukiShijuki Member UncommonPosts: 318
    If I remember correctly, they said more than 8 million subscribers worldwide and honestly I don't see why they would lie about it.
  • VolkmarVolkmar Member UncommonPosts: 2,501

more to the point, why would they lie and nobody else does? so if blizzard is lying about their numbers, you can be assured all other companies are doing it too, keeping the relative ratio in the same place.

and yes, it is 8 million active subscriptions. copy sold? dunno, they sold 5.9 mils in china alone. 19 millions might be right or not, but definitly a lot more than 8 millions.

come on guys! wow has been in the top 10 best selling games for more than 2 years now, on par with the sims 2, now guess how many milions copies the sims 2 sold? something around 15-20 millions? probably. well then wow is around there too.

"If you give a man a fish, you feed him for a day, if you teach him how to fish, you feed him for a lifetime"

• FionFion Member UncommonPosts: 2,348
    Why is it when WoW says they have '8 million subscribers'  it is taken without question that they have 8 million CURRENT PLAYERS not people with subscriptions past or present. Yet when games like Star Wars Galaxies broke 1 million subscribers everyone was like 'NO WAY, thats total subscriptions not current subscribers, no way!' Even when EQ broke 500k, people went apeshit. Yet WoW's 8 million is accepted without question.

I dont doubt that a lot of people play WoW. But I HIGHLY doubt that there are 8 million current, active subscribers. Hell 1/2 my office has people who have wow accounts, about 1/10th of those actually still play the game. Many are going to come back for the expansion however.

• coffeecoffee Member Posts: 2,007
    Originally posted by Fion

Why is it when WoW says they have '8 million subscribers'  it is taken without question that they have 8 million CURRENT PLAYERS not people with subscriptions past or present. Yet when games like Star Wars Galaxies broke 1 million subscribers everyone was like 'NO WAY, thats total subscriptions not current subscribers, no way!' Even when EQ broke 500k, people went apeshit. Yet WoW's 8 million is accepted without question.

I dont doubt that a lot of people play WoW. But I HIGHLY doubt that there are 8 million current, active subscribers. Hell 1/2 my office has people who have wow accounts, about 1/10th of those actually still play the game. Many are going to come back for the expansion however.
    FFS how many times do we have to post this? this is how blizz count numbers (from their press release)

World of Warcraft's Subscriber Definition

World of Warcraft subscribers include individuals who have paid a subscription fee or have an active prepaid card to play World of Warcraft, as well as those who have purchased the game and are within their free month of access. Internet Game Room players who have accessed the game over the last thirty days are also counted as subscribers. The above definition excludes all players under free promotional subscriptions, expired or cancelled subscriptions, and expired prepaid cards. Subscribers in licensees' territories are defined along the same rules.

So it is 8 million ACTIVE subscribers. They do not count old or banned accounts.  This is how most MMO's count numbers, nothing underhand going on there.. sure some 1 might of decided to stop playing and still have 2 weeks left on their subscribtions, but do you expect blizz to know this?

• grunt187grunt187 Member CommonPosts: 956

LMAO coffee

couldnt read could u post little bigger

The following statement is false
    The previous statement is true

• kordrialkordrial Member Posts: 160
    Originally posted by Fion

you wann know why?

when SWG and EQ set records, i didn't believe them because they are being made by the WORST MMO company in the world >.<

SoE needs to burn in a fire  >.<

ahm... anyway....

i can see WoW having 8million subscribers, but judging from the amount of people who said that a company wouldn't lie about their population base, i can conclude that many people who have posted here are very ignorant, or i'm very cynical.

which game would you rather play?

"Come online, and adventure with 20 people!" *cough clanlord cough* ( =P ) or

"come online and adventure with thousands of fellow gamers!"

keep in mind, a ton of people play MMO's for the 1st 'm', Massive.

• hbosmanhbosman Member Posts: 107
    One reason for this big number. While US and EU have to pay a subscribtion, the rest of the world pays per hour. I would not mind an active account if I only pay per played hour, I would not play anymore but thats another thing.
  • VolkmarVolkmar Member UncommonPosts: 2,501
    Originally posted by hbosman

One reason for this big number. While US and EU have to pay a subscribtion, the rest of the world pays per hour. I would not mind an active account if I only pay per played hour, I would not play anymore but thats another thing.
    ..and then you would not be counted in there.

beside, you tell me 2 millions in NA and 1.5 millions in europe are NOT big numbers?

for your information, the highest ever reached in NA was Everquest, with 450k around. in europe we had DAoC with 250k.

so, even removing the asian numbers completely, 3.5 millions active subscriptions in na+euro is a HUGE number.

ps: swg never had 1 million subscribers. i think they topped at 250k or something.

"If you give a man a fish, you feed him for a day, if you teach him how to fish, you feed him for a lifetime"