Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Crafter Revamp Hopes and expactations

free2playfree2play Member UncommonPosts: 2,043

It's a month or two away, what's everyone looking for in the expertise?

The things I see are maybe new schems based on the expertise tree you choose. With master being set up to handle cap on resources, to add more exper points really isn't going to impact the end product unless it is in Ship Wright. Another option, they return adv parts to the lines of expertise so a crafter can improve product that way. Maybe use less resources if you are an expert in say Structure. Rather that 200 ore and 300 steel, you get a 25% reduction. Some more colors in furniture schems, dump most of the clothing. Really, do you need 18 shirts that do the same thing?

What I would like to see is maybe a refinging tool and or skill similar to the recycle tools but more in line with RE. Where you drop 300K of steels and get 30K refined steel that has better stats. I expect some kind of BE line or hope or both... CA and AA variants. I gave my ideas on that with the 'Junk' loot that has visible indication it was put in for that.

What about everyone else?

Comments

• GrandAmGrandAm Member Posts: 404

I fear they will ruin it with the ideas they have to just make it easy for them to code and maintain.

But what I would like to see is as follows and not in order of importance:

1. Bring back all schematics they got rid of, even if they still can't be be used for their function some made great decorations such as the armor repair kit looked like an oven door for house decorating.

2. There must be a decay. Vehicles don't decay but can be disabled and need restoration kits.  I wouldn't want to see this with other items, I think people should lose items through use and have to maintain them.  They can keep out the decay on items when you die, but at least have it when they are used.  Call quest rewarded items "legecy" and biolinked. Allow the quest to get the item to be repeatable only  to aquire one replacement and only when one is nessessary after it decayed away, and no xp award at the end.  All other crafted and repeat looted Items need decay.

3. Re-engineering of looted items on ground like items in space might be fun,but not as a replacement for crafting. Also if offered as an expertise skill it should be done where the crafter can't do any thing else in his/her expertise tree.  RE produces nice stuff that would be highly sought after for purchase.  It should burn all xp points to RE the top level stuff for sale.  Risk vs Reward, they should need to choose carfully when building a template all RE or do I want to be able to spend on some combat points, terrain nav, resorce reduction etc.

4.  Bio engineeer skills.  Even if it is off of the harvest resoruces from animals not the animal itself it needs to be done.  There are so many schematics that can't be fully realized because these ingredients are gone.  What does exist, no player starting now would ever be able to afford them.  Like RE, BE would burn all of your expertise points.

5.  Give the crafters that choose the BE to clone animals as pets.  Give them up to combat level of CL30 (Clones aren't as good as original)just like the droids currently allowed in game.  Then allow pets locked data pads to be called but nerf them standard game level of the other pets.  I hate nerfs, but I think those that haven't seen their pet in a year would like to see it again even if maxed out at CL30.  Of course all cloned pets are saleable.

6.  All sub components of any item originally designed to alter final crafting stats need to have experimentation reinstated.

7.  Make all schematics that were not removed by NGE but were rendered none functional...functional again.  Droid components come to mind.  They finally brought back harvester droids.

8.  Of course more color options in creation or more types of saleable customization kits to be used with crafted, looted, and quest given items.

9.  New Schems even if it is for just decorative purpose.  Even have them be looted or quest given I don't care.  Just don't add them to quests a combat person has already done and can't do again.  Even have a high level schem for a scout walker pet.  I've seen them as pets before in CU.  I don't know how they were aquired, but just follow guide line for use on pets mentioned above.

10.  Make items able to compete against all looted similar items.  Quest items i've read the devs say they will never allow to be out done.  To them it is the reward for doing a quest.  They really want people doing the legacy quest.

11.  Leave the harvestors alone.  If you can't put a harvester somewhere because someone already placed several there,  then they were there first and you were their second.  People cant go to yankee stadium during the world series and get a chair inside when the tickets are sold out.  People shouldn't get to place an Extractor "Droid" in the ground with 200 others on the exact spot.  You couldn't get there first...too bad.

12.  Do not revamp the way crafting works.  Improve and fix, don't revamp. The NGE was a revamp of combat and look how popular that was.  I as a crafter will leave if they do something dumb again.  If they make it where crafting becomes a secondary skill for combat players and they reasemble all the looted subcomponets to get an item, I will leave the game for good.  I left for a year with the NGE.  Came back in october to see the changes and have just been barely hanging on.  If they do the crafter version of NGE( meaning screw it up even more than the NGE did) Im gone.

13  Keep experimentation.  Get rid of it I'm gone.  It makes it fun.  Simple isn't always better.

"Suddenly, thousands of Trekies whose heads are full of facts of things like the stardate when the Cardassians farted on Deep Space nine are irrlelevant." - hardcoremoviecritic

• ObraikObraik Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 7,261
    Originally posted by GrandAm

I fear they will ruin it with the ideas they have to just make it easy for them to code and maintain.
    1. Bring back all schematics they got rid of, even if they still can't be be used for their function some made great decorations such as the armor repair kit looked like an oven door for house decorating.
    2. There must be a decay. Vehicles don't decay but can be disabled and need restoration kits.  I wouldn't want to see this with other items, I think people should lose items through use and have to maintain them.  They can keep out the decay on items when you die, but at least have it when they are used.  Call quest rewarded items "legecy" and biolinked. Allow the quest to get the item to be repeatable only  to aquire one replacement and only when one is nessessary after it decayed away, and no xp award at the end.  All other crafted and repeat looted Items need decay.
    3. Re-engineering of looted items on ground like items in space might be fun,but not as a replacement for crafting. Also if offered as an expertise skill it should be done where the crafter can't do any thing else in his/her expertise tree.  RE produces nice stuff that would be highly sought after for purchase.  It should burn all xp points to RE the top level stuff for sale.  Risk vs Reward, they should need to choose carfully when building a template all RE or do I want to be able to spend on some combat points, terrain nav, resorce reduction etc.
    4.  Bio engineeer skills.  Even if it is off of the harvest resoruces from animals not the animal itself it needs to be done.  There are so many schematics that can't be fully realized because these ingredients are gone.  What does exist, no player starting now would ever be able to afford them.  Like RE, BE would burn all of your expertise points.
    5.  Give the crafters that choose the BE to clone animals as pets.  Give them up to combat level of CL30 (Clones aren't as good as original)just like the droids currently allowed in game.  Then allow pets locked data pads to be called but nerf them standard game level of the other pets.  I hate nerfs, but I think those that haven't seen their pet in a year would like to see it again even if maxed out at CL30.  Of course all cloned pets are saleable.
    6.  All sub components of any item originally designed to alter final crafting stats need to have experimentation reinstated.
    7.  Make all schematics that were not removed by NGE but were rendered none functional...functional again.  Droid components come to mind.  They finally brought back harvester droids.
    8.  Of course more color options in creation or more types of saleable customization kits to be used with crafted, looted, and quest given items.
    9.  New Schems even if it is for just decorative purpose.  Even have them be looted or quest given I don't care.  Just don't add them to quests a combat person has already done and can't do again.  Even have a high level schem for a scout walker pet.  I've seen them as pets before in CU.  I don't know how they were aquired, but just follow guide line for use on pets mentioned above.
    10.  Make items able to compete against all looted similar items.  Quest items i've read the devs say they will never allow to be out done.  To them it is the reward for doing a quest.  They really want people doing the legacy quest.
    11.  Leave the harvestors alone.  If you can't put a harvester somewhere because someone already placed several there,  then they were there first and you were their second.  People cant go to yankee stadium during the world series and get a chair inside when the tickets are sold out.  People shouldn't get to place an Extractor "Droid" in the ground with 200 others on the exact spot.  You couldn't get there first...too bad.
    12.  Do not revamp the way crafting works.  Improve and fix, don't revamp. The NGE was a revamp of combat and look how popular that was.  I as a crafter will leave if they do something dumb again.  If they make it where crafting becomes a secondary skill for combat players and they reasemble all the looted subcomponets to get an item, I will leave the game for good.  I left for a year with the NGE.  Came back in october to see the changes and have just been barely hanging on.  If they do the crafter version of NGE( meaning screw it up even more than the NGE did) Im gone.
    13  Keep experimentation.  Get rid of it I'm gone.  It makes it fun.  Simple isn't always better.
    Except for number 6 (and only because nothing has been mentioned about it), everything else in that list seems to be happening.

• gambalegambale Member Posts: 3
    It May not sound like much in the grand scheme of things, but it would also be very convenient to have a 'relist' button on vendors if you do not intent to change the price.  I love the idea of RE for ground items but I forsee many problems due to the diversity of looted items.  I can easily see this bringing forth balance issues.  I completely agree with you on all of your points for crafting and harvesting.
  • airborne519airborne519 Member Posts: 542

It's too little too late! I will never give them my hard earned money again! And that goes for the pipe dream of a pre-nge server.

Anyway enjoy your game, I had to vent, since I am a scorned/shafted Crafter.

• HashbrickHashbrick Member RarePosts: 1,851

I've heard they are trying to make up for destorying so many professions, but will this make up for it? I say no, I think what they will implement and what they have explained will happen will be completely different and bland. Why? Well because, I'm sure in the eyes of SOE SWG isn't worth a ton of development anymore and are shifting sails to a different MMO that needs attention. Of coarse there will be a small team left for SWG but mainly just to manage the game and nothing more. Unless they pull something amazing with this patch and get players back this will just be nothing more then a small wound for the players that are still there. I really do hope you get what you all want and it makes the game better, but to me presonally there is no going back once NGE launched, those wounds can not heal.

[[ DEAD ]] - Funny - I deleted my account on the site using the cancel account button.  Forum user is separate and still exists with no way of deleting it. Delete it admins. Do it, this ends now.
  • gambalegambale Member Posts: 3
    You will possibly be disappointed.  None of the post NGE publishes have been amazing.  However they all creep in a positive direction and get tweaked and refined as they go.  They foolishly slapped a whole new system on top of a game world that wasn't designed for it.  That being said, they do deserve some credit for realizing this and digging in and fixing it.  Certain things simply did not work with the game world (collision detection).  Other things like the expertise system, in my opinion, worked quite well and added a lot of fun back into the game.  The professions are as balanced as they've ever been and you do have a certain amount of flexibility to customize your characters according to your playstyle.  What I am expecting is an increase in consumable crafted buff type items and greater interaction with the loot system (loot schematics and ground RE) to make crafting more economically viable.  I think other changes will be gradually worked in as it has gone with the other publishes.
  • YnyrorYnyror Member Posts: 91
     You can still craft in the game? thoughtthe kile dhtat with the rest of the game. and what is the point are there stillenought folks to sell stuff to?

i had 4 accounts all crafters  pre-cu  I loved crafting ( not the grind)  but really making stuff people can use .

Long live the memory of SWG .

As long as your having fun have fun ,
  • ShiloFieldsShiloFields Member Posts: 252
    I expect them to annouce another delay.  Of course I am an optimist.  Perhaps they will actually do a revamp and screw up crafting as well.
  • iskareotiskareot Member Posts: 2,143
    Originally posted by ShiloFields

I expect them to annouce another delay.  Of course I am an optimist.  Perhaps they will actually do a revamp and screw up crafting as well.

Lol, based on history and track record... also this being true 99.9% of the time I'd agree... 

It's been said best like this...

"SWG was like a bar we all met at. We made friends, cussed out the stupid people [read as: All of us at one time or another], ...and watched the owner's of the bar try to serve us lamb's piss and expect us to 'shut up and just drink it."

Well..."

• free2playfree2play Member UncommonPosts: 2,043
    Originally posted by iskareot

Originally posted by ShiloFields

Lol, based on history and track record... also this being true 99.9% of the time I'd agree... 

It's been said best like this...

"SWG was like a bar we all met at. We made friends, cussed out the stupid people [read as: All of us at one time or another], ...and watched the owner's of the bar try to serve us lamb's piss and expect us to 'shut up and just drink it."

Well..."

I actually hauled ass and Mastered Ocih for this very reason. It meant buying ore but I got paranoid, decided they may actually make us grind on the exper the boxes reflect. Knowing how most of the big schems like Ships only give a .3 exper ratio I didn't want to get stuck in a massive reso hole. The irony of the other proffs, where making Ber 4 is the most effective way to master chef.. I expect that to vanish in time.

Originally posted by Ynyror

You can still craft in the game? thoughtthe kile dhtat with the rest of the game. and what is the point are there stillenought folks to sell stuff to?

i had 4 accounts all crafters  pre-cu  I loved crafting ( not the grind)  but really making stuff people can use .

Actually, I find the low pops and the 2 char system makes some servers easier to sell on. I made 30 Ber13 Minerals and they were gone in a day. Everyone assumes that everyone else has a crafter alt and can afford to flip flop and gather resos. With Bunkers taking 5 lots, the active Harvesters have dropped in numbers and resos are actually rare. Active crafters are even rarer and people willing to manage thier factories in a business like way are in demand.

• GrandAmGrandAm Member Posts: 404
    Originally posted by Obraik

Except for number 6 (and only because nothing has been mentioned about it), everything else in that list seems to be happening.

Hey Obraik, do you have any links supporting that these things seem to be happening.  Not the one where a dev asked for ideas got them , said they weren't feasible with current code and offered looted components and a central craft tool to assemble looted components.  Then after he was ripped a new one by all the crafters on the official forums, they put a different dev up to try and calm the situation by asking for more ideas.  I hope you have something more current...or just give us what you got , whatever.

Thanks in advance.

"Suddenly, thousands of Trekies whose heads are full of facts of things like the stardate when the Cardassians farted on Deep Space nine are irrlelevant." - hardcoremoviecritic

Didn't see this one, there's been nothing mentioned about it.  Alot of those things are used as junk loot now though.
    They've mentioned they were considering doing something like this, no idea what their final desicion on the decay issue is though.
    Helios has said that the new system would be added in addtion to the current crafting system, it wouldn't replace it.  The more points in expertise you put towards it, the better you'll be able to pull things out.  There'll also be something like experimentation in the current system involved in grabbing the stuff out of the item you're trying to RE.
    BE components will be returning, but no word on how they're made and with what.  It sounds like the ability to make them will be part of the Domestics expertise.
    This won't be part of the Crafter revamp in Chapter 5, but it's somewhat simmillar to what was propose with the Beast Master expertise by Helios.
    As I said, nothing about this has been mentioned, but I'll join you in hoping for this :P
    Hanse is working over the DE profession at the moment.  Combat droids will now be able to get up to Level 60 (depending on resources and experimentation) and should be somewhat decent in combat.  There will also be Droideka's.
    Actually, nothing has been mentioned about this but I'm mixed on the issue.  I don't want to be a tool selling armoursmith.
    Hanse has mentioned that he and others have been working on new schematics for the professions.  As I mentioned, DE's are getting 3 new droids, one of which is a Droideka.
    At the moment, only weapons have this issue.  Until they start discussing the Muntions profession, it's not know how they plan to do this.  Helios has mentioned though that alternative markets will be made.  Take that how you like.
    Harvestors and factories are not being changed.
    The current crafting system isn't being changed.  They're instead adding an additional systemt hat is meant to compliment the current system.
    Not being removed.

Hey Obraik, do you have any links supporting that these things seem to be happening.  Not the one where a dev asked for ideas got them , said they weren't feasible with current code and offered looted components and a central craft tool to assemble looted components.  Then after he was ripped a new one by all the crafters on the official forums, they put a different dev up to try and calm the situation by asking for more ideas.  I hope you have something more current...or just give us what you got , whatever.

Thanks in advance.

Answered in red :)

Yes, you can still craft in SWG, the mechanics are still mostly the same as they were way back when.  The only professions that are somewhat pointless at the moment is Chef and Weaponsmith, as only a few of the things they can make are actually worthwhile.

• free2playfree2play Member UncommonPosts: 2,043

Yes, you can still craft in SWG, the mechanics are still mostly the same as they were way back when.  The only professions that are somewhat pointless at the moment is Chef and Weaponsmith, as only a few of the things they can make are actually worthwhile.

Chef is a premium example of the top down development scheme. It assumes players will max cap everything and as a result, the Devs tried to see what a FOTW buff toon would look like. All doc, Officer, weap, armor and food buffs. That and it was paired with a garbage proff. Tailor was never usefull. Without the parts for armorsmith, they would be 100% useless.

So much of what made Chef went away with Buffs. Doc and Ent and the 9 bar stats. The new stat system is either meaningless or not working. The 2 visible stats ar 2 & 8 health and action and I think the other 4 default the 2. So they amount to about 3% and unless you hard cap your stat on a cl 90, it just doesn't matter. Unless this is addresses, or Chef is given alternative function besides a stat master, Chef won't ever matter.

On weaps, it was about an updated loot table and a schem system based on speed and parts that was never updated. If they fix that Weaps has a chance.

___

On that note, I really hope they don't nerf Armor. I know it's up there again in player made and add some of the innates we are close to PreCU levels. If they give with the left and take with the right, it's going to destroy any enthusiasm people have for thier new expertise abilities. I don't use armor but speaking as a Swordy who lost his Comp, I know what that did to my views of my toon.

• iskareotiskareot Member Posts: 2,143

What it should say is this"  You can craft in SWG, although the playerbase and items are not needed as much.   You could also add that they REMOVED alot of the crafting from the game.. i.e. you can still click and craft but thats about it... the items needed have been lessened,  the complexity involved in where or how you make it is more forgiving... the components are now easier to get.. i.e.  crafting has less purpose based on most loot being better.

Ironic that actually without decay, crafting is less needed and is not NOR has been a focus since the NGE went live.  

When you can get somthing easier then making it, well......????????

Bottom line.. crafting left when the game did and went to the NGE.... right now, you could take crafting out of the game and make everything loot and pretty much not alot would change at all.

lol how sad is that>?

• KorlenKorlen Member Posts: 21
    I try not to get my "high" hopes up... but this has been a long time coming. So far from reading the offical forums it seems like it will really bring life back the traders.

Really looking forward to the RE system that was mention.

AND getting our combat lvl back will be really freaking nice.