Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

know any mmorpg's or rpg's where I can swing my own weapon

Really getting sick of this crap where I can't even choose to swing my own weapon. The last 3 decent rpg's where I could do so was the baulders gate dark alliances series which the second one I hated because when ever I wanted to swing it, it only swung once.

Morrowind and Oblivion. A decent mmo I can swing my weapon however was nothing more than PURE grind was pristontale I haven't even touched that in 4 years. RYL would of been great except when they made private servers the whole of the community was entirely

split into different fragments. The original itself was nothing more than a grindfest let alone to get to any worth pvp.

Any suggestions of what is currently out, I would not mind to try given the fact that I can swing MY OWN weapon. Oh yea don't mention dungeons and dragons and rf online. Tried them both rf long before it even hit the english community let alone chinese and japanese communitys. This is a pathetic age for mmo's and rpg's the only real hope was oblivion. You can only do so much with one rpg.

Take a deep drink of your demon Lad, tonight we tangle with the fire in the gut.

Comments

• CymdaiCymdai Member UncommonPosts: 1,043
    Modern day, I'm not sure of too many...

Old school games I can think of though.

Thief + Thief 2, King's Field series

Not sure if those are what you're looking for, but that's the only stuff I can think of off the top of my head that might interest you.

Waiting for something fresh to arrive on the MMO scene...

• loreofchaosloreofchaos Member Posts: 316
    Originally posted by Cymdai

Modern day, I'm not sure of too many...

Old school games I can think of though.

Thief + Thief 2, King's Field series

Not sure if those are what you're looking for, but that's the only stuff I can think of off the top of my head that might interest you.

Hmm... I might try the thief series I know they were doing a mod on that with the unreal engine it didn't look too bad. I'll look into it.

Any others?

Take a deep drink of your demon Lad, tonight we tangle with the fire in the gut.

• ElnatorElnator Member Posts: 6,077
    Originally posted by loreofchaos

Really getting sick of this crap where I can't even choose to swing my own weapon. The last 3 decent rpg's where I could do so was the baulders gate dark alliances series which the second one I hated because when ever I wanted to swing it, it only swung once.
    Morrowind and Oblivion. A decent mmo I can swing my weapon however was nothing more than PURE grind was pristontale I haven't even touched that in 4 years. RYL would of been great except when they made private servers the whole of the community was entirely
    split into different fragments. The original itself was nothing more than a grindfest let alone to get to any worth pvp.
    Any suggestions of what is currently out, I would not mind to try given the fact that I can swing MY OWN weapon. Oh yea don't mention dungeons and dragons and rf online. Tried them both rf long before it even hit the english community let alone chinese and japanese communitys. This is a pathetic age for mmo's and rpg's the only real hope was oblivion. You can only do so much with one rpg.

DDO has the type of combat you're interested in but, imo, is limited as far as MMO's go.  But a lot of people do enjoy it.  Worth giving a try if you're into a more "twitch" feel to your MMORPG.  I really enjoyed the combat in DDO.

SWG-NGE also allows for this to some extent as well but it's nowhere near as polished as DDO's interface.

Other than that I can't think of very many MMO's that have adopted a 'twitch' combat style yet.  There are a few on the horizon but I wouldn't lay bets on their release dates at this point.   Both of the above titles have free trials.

If I think of any more that have that style I'll let you know.  Those are the only two that jump to mind though.

Currently Playing: Dungeons and Dragons Online.
    Sig image Pending
    Still in: A couple Betas

• LifePositiveLifePositive Member UncommonPosts: 130
    I reckon your only hope is to wait for Age of Conan to come out. You get to swing your weapon, aim at specific body parts, and string together combos for added effect. Pretty nifty take on combat and probably the closest to what you are looking for.

“How do you kill that which has no life

So I have heard. At any rate I was in closed beta for DDO I wasn't really impressed. I had also tried the free trial about a month ago, still was not impressed.

Originally posted by Manveru

I reckon your only hope is to wait for Age of Conan to come out. You get to swing your weapon, aim at specific body parts, and string together combos for added effect. Pretty nifty take on combat and probably the closest to what you are looking for.

• SpiritraiserSpiritraiser Member UncommonPosts: 175
    Check Gothic 3 and Dark Messiah too :)

I keep wanting to try Gothic 3 however my ram keeps bashing my pc. Before I had a intel motherboard it took both DIMMS and RIMMS however this one only takes DIMMS and is a AMD type motherboard. Don't ask how I got a AMD motherboard into a intel case just know that I did. At any rate I want to upgrade my RAM for that. It's coming in the mail in about a week or two. I had to use oldoblivion for

Oblivon however I don't think I had got the whole of the game. So I think I might end up getting a 360 for that. I can play Gothic 3 but for only like two hours before my resources get burned to the ground. I hate that.

I was very impressed with Dark Messiah the only real problem I had with it was the whole first person thing, however that didn't effect my gameplay hardly at all.

Originally posted by Spiritraiser

Check Gothic 3 and Dark Messiah too :)

• CleffyIICleffyII Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 3,440

Remember, you are playing RPGs.  RPGs are suppose to be about tactics, combos, and using lore to your advantage in combat.  Adding in the twitch element takes away alot of the thought process behind it.  Its like what an RTS is to a Turn Based Strategy.

What I seen of the twitch element in rescent RPGs really isn't that great either.  They should really borrow features from fighters, and even work them in with quests and training.  Such as Kengo's fighting system would be awesome in an mmo.  My suggestion is Tales of Destiny/Eternia.  Also there is Tales of Eternia Online that rescently came out in Japan(Still waiting on it coming to the US :/ ).  Its pretty fun twitch combat for an RPG.  There is also Star Ocean Series, and Phantasy Star Online.  Then there is the upcoming Age of Conan, and The Chronicles of Spellborn.  Also I heard Ragnarok Online 2's pvp will also be twitch based.

Rpg's is about role playing the lore is important however tactics your basing your self on more of a Strategy than an rpg. Your vision of a rpg could be completely different to anothers, people need to learn to accept others have different opinions I am however NOT saying you are not accepting of others thoughts, however a lot of people in these forums in the past 3 years I believe have really degraded this site I have logged in less and less since that anyways back to topic. RPG's didn't start off that way trust me. Play the original nintendo D&D that is how the original console rpg came about. At any rate you will still need tactics in parts whether its turn based or not.

Originally posted by CleffyII

Remember, you are playing RPGs.  RPGs are suppose to be about tactics, combos, and using lore to your advantage in combat.  Adding in the twitch element takes away alot of the thought process behind it.  Its like what an RTS is to a Turn Based Strategy.
    What I seen of the twitch element in rescent RPGs really isn't that great either.  They should really borrow features from fighters, and even work them in with quests and training.  Such as Kengo's fighting system would be awesome in an mmo.  My suggestion is Tales of Destiny/Eternia.  Also there is Tales of Eternia Online that rescently came out in Japan(Still waiting on it coming to the US :/ ).  Its pretty fun twitch combat for an RPG.  There is also Star Ocean Series, and Phantasy Star Online.  Then there is the upcoming Age of Conan, and The Chronicles of Spellborn.  Also I heard Ragnarok Online 2's pvp will also be twitch based.
    I tried Star ocean 2 loved it however I didn't get to finish it.  I could always try that Tales of Eternia Online. (Language barriers never get to me.) I completely owned Phantasy star online. Speaking of which ragnarok online have any of you played talesweaver? I found it very immersive.

Ragnarok I didn't find as good as Talesweaver, however talesweaver is f2p. Never found some of these f2p to even match some of the p2p but tw burned Ragnarok to the ground. It was once p2p however.

• LordSlaterLordSlater Member Posts: 2,087
    I belive you can swing your own wepon in secon life [ if you get my meaning wink wink ]

• alienangelalienangel Member Posts: 9
    Soul Calibur 2 does have a RPG-ish story mode... as does Devil May Cry
  • ookillerookiller Member UncommonPosts: 14
    is Dark Messiah or any of the above online ? i would love a game like oblivion online it would be a great online game imo
  • YukkioneYukkione Member Posts: 618
    Not many around these days. However the upcoming MMORPG Age of Conan will let you swing it, and aim it.
  • fmaalexfmaalex Member UncommonPosts: 87
    closest i can think of....Phantasy star universe?
  • shadout00shadout00 Member Posts: 253
    Risk Your Life (RYL) the MMO for the PC is the only MMO out to date that allows play to swing their own weapons. It was an okay game but never made it big because it was a foreign import.
  • AelfinnAelfinn Member Posts: 3,857
    Originally posted by ookiller

is Dark Messiah or any of the above online ? i would love a game like oblivion online it would be a great online game imo

Dark Messiah is single player, Age of Conan and DDO are online.

to OP: AoC is probably what you're looking for here, theres a link in my signature to its faq page, have a quick read for yourself and/or watch some of the movies.

No man is an island, entire of itself; every man is a piece of the continent, a part of the main. any man's death diminishes me, because I am involved in mankind, and therefore never send to know for whom the bell tolls; it tolls for thee.
    Hemingway

• XApotheosisXXApotheosisX Member Posts: 277

RPG the one i am playing is Fable and waiting for fable 2 or you can go with Mount and Blade, its unfinished but playable, its made by a smal company though. MMO wise unfortunately the choices are slim and none.

AOC which looks pretty cool and sound pretty cool is the only one that is closest to release.

Darkfall - supposed to be pure twitch based, but it has been in developement for 5 years and the Devs barely speak at all to thier player base and they rarely release new screenshots or new info.

Spellborne - looks interesting has some twitch elements

• Neocron is one of the only MMORPGs like that. But it is sci fi although melee is doable.
  • OrcaOrca Member UncommonPosts: 629
    One of my favorite games: Helbreath.

This is alot like Diablo 2/Baldurs Gate graphic and play mode. It aint the most advanced game.

PM me if you wanna know some cheap ways to play this game :))))) (As the Official servers isnt worth playing on)

Futilez - Mature MMORPG Community

Correcting people since birth.

• -aLpHa--aLpHa- Member UncommonPosts: 852
    Play GunZ there you can swing a Katana but be aware some people play it like a Quake game. And whatever you do dont get Gothic !3!

BTW GunZ is actualy a F2P game.
  • ookillerookiller Member UncommonPosts: 14
    thanks for the information i look forward to  trying out those games when they are out, i played ryl but it got kind of boring
  • desnowdesnow Member Posts: 390
    Originally posted by Aelfinn

Dark Messiah is single player, Age of Conan and DDO are online.
    Dark Messiah is online multiplayer... DDO isn't much more than an co-op game (as in similar to GW style)...AoC is the only persistent universe style (ie MMORPG).
  • theanimedudetheanimedude Member UncommonPosts: 1,610

If you're looking for more of an action and semi-MMO, I would suggest checking out Rakion. It was released a while ago by softnyx, and it's more of a twitch based arena combat MMO, with single player missions. I think it's similar to the way SUN is going to play.

Anyways, check it out.