Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Best F2P RPGs?

13»

Comments

• KyutaSyukoKyutaSyuko Member UncommonPosts: 288

While I haven't been all that into the MMO market lately I'll list some of the F2P ones I've played and enjoyed in no particular order other then the order I remember them in.

Cloud Nine

RF Online

DDO

Requiem

Rohan

Anarchy Online

Fantasy Earth Zero

LaTale

Dream of Mirror Online

Drift City

Pandora Saga

Neo Steam

Sword of the New World

I'll admit it's been a while since I've played most of these games so I don't know how they are now...

• Silas26Silas26 Member Posts: 51

Originally posted by ANIM4

Originally posted by carpsyco

Guild wars is a F2P game, you only pay once no 15$ a month to play.

Originally posted by ANIM4

F2P = free to play... i asked for the best free to play games in your opinion.
    That's the problem. I don't want to pay for ANYTHING. "You only pay once." It's not F2P.

You pay for the game, not to play it.

• v4mp1r3v4mp1r3 Member Posts: 48

I've tried F2P for a long time, and the only games that have any redeeming qualities are always the weird ones. Everything else just sucks in too many ways and never does anything interesting to redeem for all of it's shitty generic grinding/pvp/lackofpve

Mabinogi is the only exception to that I've enjoyed so far.. but I can't see it lasting. If you're interested in something different try...

Gods and Idols - You play a God, there are other gods, you run planets and have wars with other gods planets.

Auteria - Little indie mmorpg.

N8 - Funny little 8bit styled MMORPG.

These games are actually free. Most don't use a cash shop at all and those that do use it for things so minor that they actualyl don't matter- not just like how people say they don't matter in other games and they actually do (RoM, Mabinogi, all games with massive cashshops)

Anyway I'm tired and this post is pretty shit so I'm gonna stop now

• cheetoh90cheetoh90 Member Posts: 22

How did a thread from literally 3 years ago get bumped lol?

• grndzrogrndzro Member UncommonPosts: 1,162

Because it is a topic that is never dated. People will always have something to say here no matter how long the thread rests. I don't think f2p mmo's are going away anytime soon.

• XinachiXinachi Member Posts: 1

If you haven't got the message yet... PLAY RUNES of MAGIC! Clearly the best.

• bigaxebigaxe Member Posts: 1

well, ive played several f2p over the years, my current favorite is Perfect World International, Dragon Oath is good too of you have previous experiance in mmos, Then theres Neo Steam. i was only able to play for about 15 minutes at a a time if i was lucky because it lags alot. if you have a fast computer, i would HIGHLY recommend Neo Steam because it has good pvp, good story line, decent graphics, and its very original. Mabinogi was quite good too, despite its crappy graphics.

• AkumiblossomAkumiblossom Member Posts: 1

I don't know if Runes of Magic is the best, there are soooo many bugs.  I get sick of crashing so many times per session.  It really makes me long for something more stable.  I'm going to keep looking and try something new, I hope I can find something worth playing that won't boot me every ten minutes lol.

• CernanCernan Member UncommonPosts: 360

Mabinogi http://mabinogi.nexon.net/  (offers a ton of in-game options. There is really no need to pay for rebirths.  You can get by without paying anything.  Combat is different and fun.  it is a rock/scissors/paper type combat.)

Megaten http://megaten.aeriagames.com/ (combat almost idential to Mabinogi, but crafting is lack luster.  You can tame and upgrade pets.   Uses same unique dungeon generator as Mabinogi.  This game seems to be more combat focused where Mabinogi is more social focused)

Zentia http://z.us.changyou.com/  (not too bad, i enjoyed it a lot more than most other F2P games out there.  Character customization is extremely limited though)

Iris Online http://iris.gpotato.com/ (might be too cute for you, but the gameplay, dungeons, etc were all there and performed well in CBT.  Open beta should be starting sometime soon.)

I would try to suggest LOTRO, but you will have to pay at some point.  I have a lifetime sub so I get everything.  For free you could do the book quests and get all the normal quests up through lvl 20.  After level 20 you would be stuck grinding since normal quests wouldn't be available without paying.  You'd would eventually have to pay to unlock expansions as well.  Just depends.  If you get a months gameplay out of something and really love the game, I don't see why paying would be a fault.  Show your support for the developers, buy the expansion or  unlock something.  just my 2 cents.

• TheMinnTheMinn Member Posts: 397

Originally posted by bigaxe

well, ive played several f2p over the years, my current favorite is Perfect World International, Dragon Oath is good too of you have previous experiance in mmos, Then theres Neo Steam. i was only able to play for about 15 minutes at a a time if i was lucky because it lags alot. if you have a fast computer, i would HIGHLY recommend Neo Steam because it has good pvp, good story line, decent graphics, and its very original. Mabinogi was quite good too, despite its crappy graphics.

The only issue with NeoSteam is there really is not much of a population anymore. I am a fan of Steampunk and wish for more MMOs with that particular style but like Ryzom I cannot play it because of the population.

• Methos12Methos12 Member UncommonPosts: 1,244

Worth mentioning regarding LotRO is that you don't HAVE to pay anythign to unlock everything, just be prepared to grind multiple characters over multiple servers to earn enough free TPs to buy stuff. Also, it helps to keep an eye on discounts and shop offers.

Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.
  • jrworden1976jrworden1976 Member UncommonPosts: 26

Dungeons & Dragons Online is cool.

Lord of the Rings Online is now F2P and pretty decent.

Everquest 2 Extended.