Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Questing Question

dsorrentdsorrent Member CommonPosts: 1,627

I've read through the offical FAQ on the Vanguard forums and have a question regarding quests. I know they said there will be no instancing, but does that mean it will be back to the spawn camping scenario? I like alot of the aspects I read about the game, but nothing sucks more than doing a quest, getting to the Boss Mob at the end to find 2-3 groups hanging out waiting for the same spawn as you. Then there's the other people who camp the spawn of nice items for profit. How are they planning on handling these scenarios?

Comments

• quix0tequix0te Member UncommonPosts: 138
    In the original Everquest (which Brad largedly designed and defined), the mage epic item required you to camp a rare spawn lvl 34 pegasus (spawned maybe twice a day), which dropped a cloak that was good for any class and thus was killed as soon as it spawned.  Oh. And this spawn could appear anywhere in a huge zone that was fairly popular until maybe the third or fourth expansion.

I cant say for sure that Vanguard will have anything like this. I  can only say this is what Brad has done in the past.

Originally posted by dsorrent

I've read through the offical FAQ on the Vanguard forums and have a question regarding quests. I know they said there will be no instancing, but does that mean it will be back to the spawn camping scenario? I like alot of the aspects I read about the game, but nothing sucks more than doing a quest, getting to the Boss Mob at the end to find 2-3 groups hanging out waiting for the same spawn as you. Then there's the other people who camp the spawn of nice items for profit. How are they planning on handling these scenarios?
  • ya know..some parts of camping a spot and pulling were boring I'll admit..but there were times when it was quite enjoyable..casters sitting back on their ass shoot'n the breeze..tanks and dps going at it with the occassional heal or mezz thrown in.  I love some of the instance stuff so that you keep moving and reach to boss, don't get me wrong...however in most instances I've been in in EQ2, it seemed more of a business trip where everyone was doing their thing but the social element was almost gone.  So I actually enjoyed certain camps..I remember in EQ1 we'd be camped out at one of the Dervish camps in NRO for a couple of hours..those were fun times in my estimation.  People who played and enjoyed the game know what I'm talk'n about. 

But Im completely with you on people camping a certain to grab that one item over and over...*cough--fungi tunic--cough*...maybe they could put a timer on certain mobs that drop loot like that..once you loot it..you have to wait so many hours or so before being able to loot again..that way they won't have to put rediculous spawn timers on mobs..the ones that spawned like once every 19 hours and 37 minutes lol.

• dsorrentdsorrent Member CommonPosts: 1,627

Camping & hanging out chatting waiting for a pop is enjoyable, however, my two biggest gripes were:

A) the people who "jumped line" and attacked the Boss Mob while there was one or two other groups there before them

B) People who killed the Boss Mob over and over.

I did find a post that said they are making it so once you kill the boss mob you can't do it again without re-initiating the quest so at least that should get rid of item B above.

• Nitsu62Nitsu62 Member Posts: 97

I don't think this wil be for everything, but there is the encounter path things.

which will spawn mobs just for the quest that only your group/you can kill.  It will be in the same place as everyone else but will be locked to your group.

Current MMO of interest: Vanguard: Saga of Heroes
    MMO background: EQ, UO, AO, SWG, PS, EQ2, L2,EQoA, WoW, WWIIO, and AC2

• quix0tequix0te Member UncommonPosts: 138
    Cool

I'll definitely be doing the V:SoH stress test, if only to tell others what its like.

And I'll go in with an open mind.  Its possible Brad learned lessons on what is fun from EQ1.

Originally posted by Nitsu62

I don't think this wil be for everything, but there is the encounter path things.
    which will spawn mobs just for the quest that only your group/you can kill.  It will be in the same place as everyone else but will be locked to your group.
  • BorneheldBorneheld Member Posts: 17

They had announced the A.E.S  (Advanced Encounter System), but I havent heard anymore about it.

You can read about it  here  at Ten Ton Hammer, But I`m not sure it will be in at release. I hope to see it come about, it sounds like a wonderful way to handle the no instancing grief we will surely see in game for mobs we need.