Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Well worth the DL

My two favorite games back when I was a kid and played consoles were, Sid's Pirates for NES, and Uncharted Waters for SNES.  This game seems to combine the two really well. 

The bittorrent download took less an hour and when I started the game required no patches.  Making an account was easy and when they ask for a passport ID I don't think they really want your literal passport, just a user ID.  Since I don't have a passport it was an easy decision. 

The graphics were suprisingly good, water looks nice, boats look awesome.  Can't wait to get something a little bigger. 

I started in Athens and was astounded at all the player venders and traffic.  Decided to go see what was shaken in Italy and sailed over there. 

While I had RL stuff to do I parked my character in a Tavern and found out the boss would pay me just to hang around, sweet.

I'm wondering how big the world is on this game, is the new world there.  One of my favorite moments in Uncharted Waters was when I sailed West for what seemed like forever and ran into Florida when I was almost out of provisions. 

So far the biggest problem has been the dialoge, the translation is terrible, of course being a free game I can't really complain much.  Seems like for a few thousand bucks they could pay some folks to go in and fix all the text. 

Well worth the free download!!! 

Comments

• MallokMallok Member UncommonPosts: 44

I was expecting to be very disapointed , just the facts that it was a "free" game ,made by an asian company and the goofy animeish style art on their webstie just about stopped me from trying it since ive hated evey other game ive tried that had any of those.

But this is the best free mmo ive ever played, way more fun than guild wars. its just like an improved sid miers pirates,  the character creation is pretty plain and theres alot of little flaws and while very good, most of the graphics arent great. but it runs very very smooth, i havent seen servers go down once in the week ive been playing. the in game graphics are a little cartoony but not as bad as wow and not nearly as bad as the voyage century websites art work.

I see a lot of potential in the game, its a pretty big world and they have alot to work with, will just have to see what they do with it,  Pirates of the Burning Sea has alot to live up to if theyre going to beat this game without being free too.

• TechleoTechleo Member Posts: 1,984
       I'm not entirely convinced the two games are competing for market space. While its true both games occupy a similar genre they don't use similar business models. Its like comparing a Mall to a Theme Park. The mall is free to enter. Millions of people cycle thru regularly and a occasional person buys a impulse item. Due to the volume of traffic it keeps the mall open. The Theme Park depends on the entrance fee. Depending on the quality of the Theme Park you mite attract more people who are willing to  come back agian and agian, similar to a water slide park in California This analogy has some serious holes in it I admit. I still think PotBS will be attracting the crowd who is willing to shell out the money for a consisten service. As such not competing with VC's high volume of Free to Play crowd.