Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Substitute to DAOC RvR experience

I've played DAOC on and off from the launch. The RvR experience was amazing up until they removed the old Emain Macha. I tried out WoW, achived everything possible there and then quit. Started playing DAOC again, on the classic servers. I played for about 4 months and then quit due to summer. After the summer I started WoW again, played it for 3 months and then quit that as well. Since a few months back I havn't played anything, in the search for a game that could suit my needs.

What I'm looking for is something that resembles DAOC. Is there anything out there that can offer what DAOC did on the RvR side? I've been looking but only found what to me looks like crap. Am I bound to await the release of warhammer online? Vanguard looks pretty decent, but there is no report on how the PvP actually will be. Suggestions?

Cheers

Comments

• ghoul31ghoul31 Member Posts: 1,955

Shadowbane has great PVP

And its free

• erinyserinys Member UncommonPosts: 395

there is no subsitute atm, im come from exactly the same corner as you do, and still have an open DaoC account with some BG toons for my PVP fix.

what closest comes to mind is EVE-online for the pvp part, but it will take you 6+ months in training skills to compete in low-sec space at least, you will spend 99% of your time pveíng untill then.

EQ2 rocks though, most pvp servers are very low-level when it comes to pvp,. more like mordred though, and the magmell pvp etc. offcourse there is life past that, but the thats the closest thing that comes to mind.

• newbinatornewbinator Member Posts: 780

Same here, played DAOC for years... nothing since has compared to the RvR of that. So now I basically sit and wait for Warhammer Online, nothing else is worth playing if you're looking for the awesome RvR that DAOC had.

• vajurasvajuras Member Posts: 2,860

just curious what makes DaoC pvp better then WoW? is it because its non-instanced pvp? Yeah i know many hate WoW but please post an unbiased response if you can. I just want to know whats great bout DaoC pvp? How long would it take me to lvl a toon to pvp in DaoC?

What is RvR? That race vs race?

• TinybinaTinybina Member Posts: 2,130
    Originally posted by Saeravok

I've played DAOC on and off from the launch. The RvR experience was amazing up until they removed the old Emain Macha. I tried out WoW, achived everything possible there and then quit. Started playing DAOC again, on the classic servers. I played for about 4 months and then quit due to summer. After the summer I started WoW again, played it for 3 months and then quit that as well. Since a few months back I havn't played anything, in the search for a game that could suit my needs.

What I'm looking for is something that resembles DAOC. Is there anything out there that can offer what DAOC did on the RvR side? I've been looking but only found what to me looks like crap. Am I bound to await the release of warhammer online? Vanguard looks pretty decent, but there is no report on how the PvP actually will be. Suggestions?

Cheers

Might wanna give Anarchy Online a try they have a sorta RvR warfare between the Omni and the other empire.. You fight over resources/land which have towers on them.

You could try RF online as well, its a Korean made game but from what I understand its RvRvR

Planetside is a MMOFPS so if you like twitch gameplay you might find the 3 way battles will be able to keep you entertained untill something else comes out.

Other then that I think you might have to wait untill Age of Conan or Warhammer come out later next year.

------------------------------
    You see, every mammal on this planet instinctively develops a natural equilibrium with their surrounding environment, but you humans do not. You spread to an area, and you multiply, and you multiply, until every natural resource is consumed. The only way you can survive is to spread to another area. There is another organism on this planet that follows the same pattern. Do you know what it is? A virus. Human beings are a disease, a cancer of this planet.-Mr.Smith

• DowieDowie Member Posts: 280
    The thing that made DAOC RvR was that, well as you said no instancing. And you had keeps and towers you can seige (wich your guild could claim) there where relics who you could take, the relics gives a boost to the realm who claimed it. and the "reward" for RvRing is so called realmskills, they can give you more crit more hp and some active skills. There are also battlegrounds (bg's)  where you are RvRing while not beeing maxlevel, those BGs only have one keep.

Well thats a really short version :)

Oh and RvR = Realm vs realm
  • godpuppetgodpuppet Member Posts: 1,416
    It is said that Age of Conan will have PVP similair to RVR.

---

• OldGoronOldGoron Member Posts: 9
    like godpuppet said check out Age of Conan its closing in on release and will be out early 2007.
  • ghoul31ghoul31 Member Posts: 1,955
    Originally posted by Dowie

The thing that made DAOC RvR was that, well as you said no instancing. And you had keeps and towers you can seige (wich your guild could claim) there where relics who you could take, the relics gives a boost to the realm who claimed it. and the "reward" for RvRing is so called realmskills, they can give you more crit more hp and some active skills. There are also battlegrounds (bg's)  where you are RvRing while not beeing maxlevel, those BGs only have one keep.

Well thats a really short version :)

Oh and RvR = Realm vs realm

Shadowbane doesn't have instancing eiither.  Guilds build their own cities, and you can siege and destroy other guilds cities.

There are also mines, that people fight over every night.

Also leveling in Shadowbane is much faster that DAOC, so you can get to the PVP quicker.

And in Shadowbane, levels aren't as important. A level 50 can defeat a level 75. Its more about how you build your character, and your skill level

• DowieDowie Member Posts: 280
    Originally posted by ghoul31

Shadowbane doesn't have instancing eiither.  Guilds build their own cities, and you can siege and destroy other guilds cities.

There are also mines, that people fight over every night.

Also leveling in Shadowbane is much faster that DAOC, so you can get to the PVP quicker.

And in Shadowbane, levels aren't as important. A level 50 can defeat a level 75. Its more about how you build your character, and your skill level

Makes me want to start playing it. Is it to late to start now?
  • fulmanfufulmanfu Member Posts: 1,523

Originally posted by vajuras
    just curious what makes DaoC pvp better then WoW? is it because its non-instanced pvp? Yeah i know many hate WoW but please post an unbiased response if you can. I just want to know whats great bout DaoC pvp? How long would it take me to lvl a toon to pvp in DaoC?

well tecnically speaking, it would take you about 10 minutes to get to lvl 4 and start pvp'ing other lvl 1-4's in the first rvr dungoen (there is a bg for that lvl i think but noone goes yet, though there are alwasy a few in the 5-9 one).

you won't have your class yet(thats lvl 5) but still its kinda fun. and also a rvr dungeon for lvl's 5-9 which is alwasy a few fights going on.
    after that, you take a little time to learn your class and lvl upa nd get some skills, and the most popular battleground is the lvl 20-24 one which you can find some nice big battles in and even lvl from 20-24 entirely there if that suits you. but it doesn't take very long to get to 20, not sure how long a brand new player can but a seasoned player can do it with no powerlvl in jsut 2 or 3 days.

what makes it better is..first off imo there is more interesting classes. all in all there are 45 or so classes there between the 3 realms and some are similiar but some(like hibernian animist, planting killer mushrooms all around) you probably never saw anything quite like them. you just don't know what you are going up against until you are in the battle. its not like you hover your mouse, see they are a hunter and know what to do. plus in ..say WoW. you are plopped in the BG, you know are going up agains another 'team' in pretty much a timed game. DaoC you go out and can roam around for a month if you want to and no set schedule where the enemey will be.

another thing, as was mentioned, is the siege. its great, you can go to a keep even if you dont have a group and are not even max lvl and man a balista or a catapult from the roof of the keep, or even a cauldron of oil from the wall or a tower. targeting players, or just trying to take out the ram they are trying to use to knock down your keeps gate. much fun :D

and keep in mind, the 'grind' to max lvl in DaoC is a myth. you can get to max lvl faster in DaoC than you can in WoW. quickest class ever in WoW was what, 4 days 19 hours /played on a hunter. a vamp that knows the score in DaoC can do it in under half that time. its just a matter of learning the game(and having catacombs)and wanting to powerlvl nonstop. if you are a half mature person its alot easier to find a good guild that will help you out, even make you armor/weapons, spellcraft your stuff for little if any money at all.

• StormeStorme Member UncommonPosts: 6

I am in the same boat as you. Its been a while since I logged into DAOC but no other MMO has compared since (WoW, EQ2, GW, countless others).

I'm now playing the waiting game. Originally Warhammer was on the top of my list, but after reading up on Age of Conan I think that will actually have the goods (and it comes out earlier so no loss if its no good).

• merv808merv808 Member UncommonPosts: 511
    Yup I agree....Check out Shadowbane.....once you get off the noob island its a PvPer's dream
  • HerodesHerodes Member UncommonPosts: 1,494

the good old 150 vs 150 vs xx relic-battles, thane hammers and caster bolts everywhere, 200 ppl in a DF or dragon raid whatever, daily emain-zergs...^^

I hope, Age of Conan will have some of the things above. :)

• OakieProbieOakieProbie Member Posts: 11
    I think what attracted me to DAOC was the sense off camaraderie between each faction. Like many others, after playing DAOC I ran around trying to find my next fix of that PvP/RvR experience. Guilds back then didn't really seem to be so extremely competitive with each other, and just because your guild did have any healers didn't mean that you couldn't progress to higher things. I remember from my old server that we'd have huge showings to dragon raids and DF raids, even though we might not have been fully acquainted with anyone going, we were still invited since the raid needed more numbers, and we'd still get a fair shot at loot.

I only got up to the Trials of Atlantis expansion before I quit, but my favorite thing about RvR was the keep raids. DF (pvp dungeon) and those skills you can get as rewards for PvPing were the biggest incentives imo. When we'd learn that a keep was under attack, tons of people would start forming parties to rush to the keeps defense. It wasn't like in WoW, when if Southshore was attacked, it'd be a couple alliance lowbies trying to fend off maybe four or five level 40-50ish horde. It was amazing to see guilds banding together to face a foe in battle.

Anyone else from the Lancelot server? Albion polearmsman here, one of the few.
  • CillasiCillasi Member UncommonPosts: 335

DAOC:  RvR is realm vs. realm.  There are 3 realms in DAOC, Albion (Britain), Hibernia (Ireland) and Midgard (Norway).  You can engage in RvR from your earliest days, in the battlegrounds.  Primary RvR is a high level affair, however.  What most responders have left out and makes a big difference here is that the realms in DAOC cannot communicate with each other.  You can't understand what players from other realms are saying and they can't understand you (the exceptions being on the pvp servers and the cooperative server where players freely travel from realm to realm). 

Eve Online:  The game's latest free expansion impressively increased the number of skillpoints a new player begins with.  New players used to begin with about 5,000 skillpoints.  In comparison, new characters now begin with approximately 800,000 skill points!  During the character creation process, you can see exactly how each choice you make affects the distribution of points among your character's skills.  As a result of these changes, a savvy player can be in low sec space within a couple days.  It may take a newbie a bit longer, especially if you try to do it alone.  There's just too much to learn.  A new player who gets into a corporation that specializes in low sec space will be out there within days and be able to make a decent contribution.

• SaeravokSaeravok Member Posts: 10
    A few things that made DAOC so great:

• The community. In no other game have I seen such a strong community. Coming from Palomides we had our own forum, which was heavily visited by almost everyone on the server. Guilds were pretty small compared to WoW (there were exceptions), most were like 20-30 people maybe. When there were PvE raids everyone were welcome more or less, it wasn't a guild thing. This made strong bonds in between guilds and you always got to know new people. The community also were alot more mature than it is in WoW for example. Alot of older people played DAOC, I had many players being 40+ yo in some of the guilds I were in. There were also very good manners between the realms. People mostly respected a fight between two persons or two groups and didn't add. The mentalilty was that I don't do something to others that I don't want them to do to me.

• The loot. While loot were important in DAOC, it was also quite easy to obtain. It wasn't like WoW, where the difference between a NAXX item and what you can obtain solo is so huge it's absurd. Also the loot in general was very balanced, there wasn't alot of uber Iwinitems. The crafting system was great and balanced. Top tier crafted gear was pretty much up there with end game items. Sure drops from raids were a little better, but not much.

• The frontiers. Every realm had their territory were the opposite realms couldn't reach you, were you could level up without being ganked. All the RvR happend in the frontier zones (except some BG RvR pre level 50) that contained X amount of keeps. The keeps were connected to the relic keeps. If you took a keep some guards despawned at the relic keep. This made it very tactical when going for another realms relics. How many keeps should you take? How much time do you ave before the realm wakes up and defends and so on. It all made up a fantastic enviroment to have an never ending war in.

• The RvR. There were many different types of RvR, whether it be open field 8v8 (1group vs 1 group), zerg vs zerg, 1on1, keep sieges, sneeking all the way to the other realms gates (gates to the frontier areas), fighting in Darkness Falls or trying to grab the enemy relics. The diversity made it fun, if you grew tired of something there were always options. The complexity of the classes were much higher than in WoW for example, the whole combat system were. Casters for example couldn't cast while being hit, that alone makes it a whole other game. One of the main things were that RvR really mattered, "for the realm". You protected your realm, you gained ranks and realm points, which you used to buy new skills to enhance your character.

The total experience of all this and much more makes it impossible to even try to compare it to WoW. It's so much more than WoW, it's so much more complex. WoW is a game designed for the younger audience and without much depth to it.

Note that what I wrote was reffering to the time in DAOC before TOA. After TOA the game has changed alot, one could debate if it's for better or for worse, I belive the opinions on that are many. However, for me DAOC was an incredible experience, while WoW at best were a fun at times.
  • EranuEranu Member Posts: 191

Brought so many fond memories back of emain macha.

Ive played many many games since i stopped playing daoc 3 years ago and not one has ever come close to recreating the buzz  i got from daoc pvp. Im not starting to get older and lose my sharpness so  i fear i will never recreate it  

Greatness is difficult to appreciate from close up. The great mountain on the horizon is only the ground when you are standing on it.

• brostynbrostyn Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 3,092
    Originally posted by vajuras

just curious what makes DaoC pvp better then WoW? is it because its non-instanced pvp? Yeah i know many hate WoW but please post an unbiased response if you can. I just want to know whats great bout DaoC pvp? How long would it take me to lvl a toon to pvp in DaoC?
    WoW PvP is item centric. That's really all I know about WoW PvP. DAoC is about knowledge and skill. All the equipment is balanced. The only difference is how the player behind the screen acts.

The great thing about DAoC RvR is that anyone can do it. Not just people who can raid.
  • MortisRexMortisRex Member UncommonPosts: 350

DAoC PvP is more involved, requires actual user input. WoW PvP is strictly determined by gear. A bad player in T-3 armor will dominate a skilled player in blues.

• KurushKurush Member Posts: 1,303

I think Warhammer will be what the old DAoC veterans are looking for. It's a long time coming, though, so I'd find something else to play in the interim. I don't think Age of Conan is really that close to what you want, personally, but I may be wrong.