Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Anyone wanna play Eve Online (not a joke) Tired of WOW too???

CobaneCobane Member UncommonPosts: 151

Some of us lurkers or just curious readers come to this site to get news. Alot of us that read this site are tired of playing WOW. Eve Online seems tough to get into like everyone says but if we try it together we might have a decent game to play until Conan.

If you want to join me I just made my character and finished the tutorial. The game seems cool so far cant wait to get a better ship. I am going combat all the way. My characters name is Ishikaru lets group and play this game.

Ok now let me rant too since its the end of the year.  I truely feel that WOW is a damn good game just not what I am looking for anymore. SWG honestly was my first true mmorpg and it blew me away. Until the bugs and the roller coaster ride of waiting for updates after update until its death. The NGE murdered SWG, lol. Depth and choices of what you do is what I look for. Battle Grounds, Raid Dungeons, random PvP and LFG in wow gives me the 5 min log in syndrome. Real choices like squadrons of ships in a huge battle like Macross lol. I really just wanna a game where people talk to each other. WOW there is no community lol honestly. Do yo talk to people when you go to six flags? You do right people near ya or in line for the ride your waiting for. Well you wait for lfg or pugs right thats pretty much it for community in my eyes in wow. Unless you belong to uber guilds that are very hard to get into now.

Anyways here are the tools for those who feel like me. 

EVE ONLINE in game name Ishikaru Team speak is 75.73.48.224 password beer

I play east coast time frame weekdays all night and weekends.  All my online friends dispapeard too after burning out on WOW. Lets just play something that has depth for a change.

LFG Combat Class EVE Online NOOB and kinda liking it......... Crafter folk are welcome too :)

Comments

• BlackMoonBlackMoon Member Posts: 177

I did the Eve thing for a year when it was first released, that was fun. I quit almost every game after playing it for 1 year. Many games before Eve, I am currently playing.. yeah, you know.. WoW. I'll be quitting that one in time too. I'd like a game thats worth sticking around in!

I've found one thing true, if you have a real good friend to play a game with that makes the entire difference. You can play a shitty game together but it'll become fun! A close-knit guild is just as good.

Good luck with Eve, hope you enjoy it!

• OrgmanOrgman Member Posts: 2

Eve is an alright game.  So is WoW.  My Eve name is Arjunas. Unlike you I chose the mining route, no combat at all.  Just the guns I need to get by.  I don't play much though, but if you catch me on, i'd love to chat :).  If you have a max lvl char on WoW, i would at least check out the upcomming expansion, you can always make new friends, hell you have to do it all over again in eve anyways.  My max lvl toon was banned along with my account.  So no more WoW for me. Ill just have to hope 2007 can bring some decent MMOs to the scene. From what I have to look at, it seems 2007 will be a dissapointing year indeed. :( Gods and Heroes, WHOnline, and Conan are the few that stand out, still not impressive to me, next gen can do better than that, maybe not... :P

Music hath the charm to soothe a savage beast, but I'd try a revolver first.
    ~ Josh Billings

• CobaneCobane Member UncommonPosts: 151

Thanks for the input. I still cant help but think  more mature gamers are looking for more than a visit to the theme park. That they  are ready for something with depth and mystery. If were lucky maybe some Eve Vets could paint a picture of what the game is like from different stand points.

SWG did set a mark on the map for MMORPGS it was a thing called Communtiy that didnt last to long  though. WOW put numbers on the board big numbers. Money talks. EVE what did it do? I hope something good.

I know its a climb to the good stuff but hey the climb is the game. Hope some folks join me on this adventure I am par taking on :) 19.95 spent today :P

Orgman you might like Vanguard. It most likely will be a sleeper hit. Even I was slaped in the face by the graphics and disapointed. Alot of people are and still are. Let me give you a hint the graphics are good now lol serious. It has all the shit that made SWG good thats BIG. (crafter shit) Combat is my thing obiviously. That game will be a crafters dream.

Even though I am not a big crafter It does make for a deep game world and communtiy. Combat route has to be there though not one sided. I hope that this is what I will get in EVE online. Deep community relations from crafters or miners. Bad ass PVP that is produced or fueled from crafters.

I remember the days of waiting for a master weaponsmith while in line behind 3 or 4 other people for a gun. Going to the player made store and shit those were the days. WOW does not provide those kind of feelings plain and simple. That is why people want to run but dont feel there is anywhere to run. So the stay with a really good runnign arcade game, but what they crave is something a little more engrossing and serious.

• JhughesyJhughesy Member Posts: 419

Originally posted by Cobane

SWG did set a mark on the map for MMORPGS it was a thing called Communtiy that didnt last to long  though. WOW put numbers on the board big numbers. Money talks. EVE what did it do? I hope something good.

1. The largest single shard virtual world online.

2. The most amount of users logged into a single online world at the same time.

3. Great graphics.

4. Large roleplay community.

5. A sandbox style virtual world where YOU choose your destiny.

6. Many different career paths, miner, hauler, trader, combat, explorer, salvager, research, production, pirating, empire building etc etc.

7. A developer who actually listens to it's community.

8. A more mature community.

9. No Elves.

10. Wars over territory and resources.

11. Losing has a consequence. True risk/reward.

Put these all together and you get the best MMORPG on the market at this moment.

• sensationalsensational Member Posts: 2
    Eve is a great game and it's very distinct from what all is out there.  Probably the most disconcerting thing about Eve that it can be very overwhelming for the new player.  The learning curve is incredibly long, and life is hard for the newb. 

yeah your not joking..... not noob friendly.  Do i need the best frigate to do missions? I have a condor ship with guns and missles. still go down fast as hell and when you go down you loose your ship lol. The rookie ship will get you  far not. good thing the COMMUNITY gave me money to get a new ship.

So far what I have noticed is there is alot of jumping around  from solar system to solar system. Which comes off as a time sink. On the other hand its not like your in the plague lands doing quests either. The jumping or warp gates are cool at first but using them over and over 25 jumps to get to high lvl places seems like its gonna be more of a pain then a good way to travel. 

Seems like this game is all about interface. my entire screen was all different windows and was troublsome to move in and out of windows . Like i would be looking to buy an item but had to make sure i had the req skill for it, back in forth looking at different windows seemed bothersome or tedious. So far I wanna yell time sink.

But I am trying to keep an open mind. Right now it seems like a 3d game but controlled by a browser of some sorts.  I am just kinda frustrated that when you die you have to go buy a new ship.  Thats like being in world of warcraft and when you die you have to go the auction house and buy all new armor and what you had in your inventory too.

Death Seems like another time sink not  a good penalty so far, unless your a gold buyer. Or unless your warpin the hell out of missions back and forth till you finish each mob. No wonder hardly anyone is combat in this game everyone is miners beacuse you need the money.

Not looking good for me so far guys... games graphics are good though.

• SidratSidrat Member Posts: 12

I've played WoW and Eve, I came back to Eve.

Eve online is THE BEST ever mmo on the market, and I really don't understand why it's not copied at all.

Single Shard server, zero amount of grinding (unless you really like doing the same thing for more than a couple of hours at a time).

With other games, I get the cookie cutter feeling, where x will beat y, y will beat z and z will beat x.  That's not really my idea of fun at, and certainly not for tactical planning.  Eve allows you do as a previous poster stated be anything, but also EVERYTHING, there are no roles except for the ones you set for youself.

Yes starting out from scratch is NOT a fun time in Eve.  The trick and the thing to remember is that there are a lot of people out there who can and WILL help with advice.  If not your school corp where you start almost definately in local.

The biggest "trick" in eve is to talk to as many people as possible, check their bios, and there "employement history" and ask them questions.  I haven't met one person yet, no matter what they do, pirate, gate camper, scammer will all tell you the basics.  The "caveat empour" (sp?) still stands  of course, but you get enough validitating sources and you're good to go.

Rats (NPC hostile ships you find in belts, or missions) have their weaknesses and what you should try tanking up, find out what it is and your first two weeks will be a lot easier.

When you start moving into 0.0 space invited or not, that is when the true face of Eve is displayed to you.  Eve politics is like no other game EVER.  Think real life but worse.  Because Eve Online isn't only a game, it's where people strive and achieve  and gain reputation far far quicker than in real life.

For those who haven't tried Eve, try it.  It's a steep learning curve, but the possibilities are truly endless.  And yes, if you can do it in game it shouldn't be against the rules. So play how you want to, for the reasons you want to.  There is no fixed role in Eve except the one you create for yourself.

Life is about memories the more the better!

• LumsterLumster Member Posts: 230
    NO GRINDING?

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.......wow man thanks for the laugh. Mining, rat killing and skilling ist just so not grinding and it is so innovative that....oh not wait it isn't.

Eve is a great game if you can get into it but it is not the best. Like every game it has flaws and depending on what you like they might be huge flaws. See I could never enjoy a game wihout avatars and has realtime learning (skills) so I don't play EvE and wait for another sci-fi mmo. Now with Stargate und STO coming out they get some serious competition and we will see how EvE is doing after that.
  • grimbojgrimboj Member Posts: 2,102
    Originally posted by Jhughesy

hehehee I love this bit

Split down to 5000 zones, 25000 concurrent users / 5000 zones = 5 people per zone. Not exactly "Immense pvp warring"

See above :P

3. Great graphics.

The memory leaks are good too.

LOL! "There" & "Second Life" are sandboxes - you can upload your own textures & even your own 3dmax models in "There". In "Second Life" you can write in their own programming language and script entire worlds. A game (EVE) where they isolate spawns to asteroid belts so they can claim its not PvE orientated is not "Choose your destiny".

6. Many different career paths, miner, hauler, trader, combat, explorer, salvager, research, production, pirating, empire building etc etc.

Well you can scratch "explorer & salvager" for a start - where are the skills for exploring and what does one do when he explores that cant be done using the map function? :P Eve splits its auction house down to regions, nice idea but anyone that seriously gets into the game will find this IMMENSELY annoying as you cannot find the right ammo without taking a 30 minute trip. You can make pittence trading unless you have one of the 1.5billion credit transports.

"A more pompass community" would be more accurate. You have to spend 12 months in-game before you have a respectable character and DESPITE the game being PvP orientated people isolate any pvp type behaviour (ganking, thieving) as "10 year old WoW player" behaviour. Its an extremely uncomfortable elitist atmosphere that is not for everyone.

9. No Elves.

Put these all together and you get the best MMORPG on the market at this moment.

If youre going to sell a game to a public forum, atleast paint an accurate picture.

--
    Note: PlayNC will refuse to allow you access to your account if you forget your password and can't provide a scanned image of the product key for the first product you purchased..... LOL

• FaurFaur Member Posts: 330
    Originally posted by Lumster

NO GRINDING? HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.......wow man thanks for the laugh. Mining, rat killing and skilling ist just so not grinding and it is so innovative that....oh not wait it isn't. Eve is a great game if you can get into it but it is not the best. Like every game it has flaws and depending on what you like they might be huge flaws. See I could never enjoy a game wihout avatars and has realtime learning (skills) so I don't play EvE and wait for another sci-fi mmo. Now with Stargate und STO coming out they get some serious competition and we will see how EvE is doing after that.
    Common misconception.

In Eve, you *choose* what you want to do. You do not *have* to do any one particular thing to progress. You can "max out" by not ever leaving the space station.

Ratting, missions, mining, and freighting is a safe-but-rewarding way of earning money. If you don't like it, you don't do it. You can earn millions an hour by pvp'ing if that's your thing.

You don't need to "earn xp" in eve, so there is no grinding. You can do *whatever you want* as long as you have money to fund whatever you're trying to do.

I've played Eve on and off since closed beta, and I have mined for less than 2 hours. I've done at most 10 missions, and have done traderuns at a grand total of one. I play eve for the pvp.

Edit: To the above post, I've never experienced any mem leaks, and you can indeed salvage wrecks now. Exploring is more in-depth than just "looking at the map". There are scanners which only purpose is to look for artifacts, scout drones, and hidden complexes you can only find by following clues.

Ok lumster I am gonna nned your help then. I need to learn how to fight and not lose my ship. I want  this mmo to be the one.

I believe if your not passionate about something its not worth doing. A large percent of players from EVE seem very passionate about the game. I am here to give it a damn good try. Why not, all the other mmo seem played out.

• Eve has some good points, and it's very easy to like it at the beginning.  However, it's skill advancement system is a double edged sword.  It levels the playing field because no one can "grind" out skills 24/7 and completely outplay a normal gamer.  However, even the normal gamer comes to realize that if they have a large block of time available, they won't get ahead either. 

You will soon come to realize that unless you take the time to get your training skills maxed, you are in essence hurting yourself by training anything else.  I went ahead and got some basic skills leveled to get in a semi-decent ship, and be able to mine.  However, I've spent the past four months training only my learning skills, and have basically quit playing the game.  Still paying for it, and leveling those skills, but I otherwise have no need to play except to farm credits. 

In addition, EVE is really quite boring to fight in.  You just press a few buttons and pretty much sit back and watch your ship fight.  Hopefully, fighting may be a bit more complex in the later stages of the game, but for a new player it is quite boring, and extremely boring when compared to the combat interface of wow.

So, I honestly don't get what is so special about EVE.  It is definately pretty, and for crafters, explorers, and particularly hardcore pvp'ers, it holds high potential value.  But getting into the game is really tough, mainly because you have to go through a large period of intense boredom before you can actually start enjoying the game.  IMO, this is the major flaw of this game and the primary reason why there are very few subscribers in relation to blockbuster MMOs.

• XXenXXen Member Posts: 88
    Try to get some contacts for decent fittings, you can do with the condor all lvl 1 Missions if you have a right fitting,

skills shouldnt be a problem now, as you get much more then before Revelation.

If you need further information or some money you can convo me ingame under my nick "Encad Briht"

Split down to 5000 zones, 25000 concurrent users / 5000 zones = 5 people per zone. Not exactly "Immense pvp warring"

If you create a character in other games, you've got to make sure it's on the right server and in the right shard too.  Doesn't matter where you are in the Eve map, you can talk to anyone anywhere (if you really really want to.)  "Immense pvp warring" - How about the 100+ fleet battles occuring now and previously?  Big enough?  I think so, lagged to hell, but there's very little CCP or the players can do about it.

The number has gone up, and yet you can still arrange to meet up with a mate in a different corp,alliance, other side of the galaxy if you really want to.

See above :P

Ditto

3. Great graphics.

The memory leaks are good too.

Got rid of those ages ago.

Kind of I suppose - People can be whatever they choose to be and aren't limited to their first choice proffesions either. EVER.

LOL! "There" & "Second Life" are sandboxes - you can upload your own textures & even your own 3dmax models in "There". In "Second Life" you can write in their own programming language and script entire worlds. A game (EVE) where they isolate spawns to asteroid belts so they can claim its not PvE orientated is not "Choose your destiny".

You get rats on Gates these days, and around player owned stations/structures too - which is interesting :p  If you don't want to take out any rats ask in local channel, there's bound to be atleast one person who will.  Eve is about the players anyway.

Well you can scratch "explorer & salvager" for a start - where are the skills for exploring and what does one do when he explores that cant be done using the map function? :P Eve splits its auction house down to regions, nice idea but anyone that seriously gets into the game will find this IMMENSELY annoying as you cannot find the right ammo without taking a 30 minute trip. You can make pittence trading unless you have one of the 1.5billion credit transports.

The massive haulers are for 0.0 corps/alliances to transport their goods more effiecently.  Without cover that ship won't last very long, so again you need to know people and be able to afford them in the first place.  Considering you can haul several billion isks worth of goods, it's a pretty good investment.

You can find what you're looking for if you ASK either in local, corp alliance or put up a buy order for the items.  Failing that realise you've just found a gap in the market and pounce on it fast!  Because if you want it, other people are likely to want it as well.

You can do quite well trading without the haulers too.  Just depends on your cargo.  Shipping blueprints, skill books and the like up to a friendly 0.0 region and putting on a 100% markup is justifiable.  Taking orders for specific things and charging a delivery fee - again totally reasonable.  IF you make it of course.

No response - either agree or can't disagree.  But the nerfs/balances effect everyone for good or bad and being flexible is a good thing.

"A more pompass community" would be more accurate. You have to spend 12 months in-game before you have a respectable character and DESPITE the game being PvP orientated people isolate any pvp type behaviour (ganking, thieving) as "10 year old WoW player" behaviour. Its an extremely uncomfortable elitist atmosphere that is not for everyone.

Possibly.  I doubt I could disagree with that first comment.  You don't have to spend 12 months at all, even before the 800,000 skill point character start, you just need to want to succeed and get to know the right people that will help and guide you.  It's about people and who you know.  Your reputation can stay with you for a very long time (or until you create a new character on a different account).  Certain behaviour (as in life) isn't regarded as playing fair. But if gate gankers want to do that then, who am I to stop them?  It's part of the game.  There's plenty of tools on the galactic map to avoid the systems and asking in local about the next couple of systems will either be good advice or very very bad.

9. No Elves.

Very good thing.

The GREATEST THING since the big bang.  Something to fight for, something to work for, and Eve Politics can't be found anywhere else.

Lossing sales because you can't build fast enough, crushing.  Losing your ratting ship, inexcusable but does happen.  Lossing your 0.0 presence, very very painful.  Your first PvP experience, personally speaking - adrenaline rush!!

If youre going to sell a game to a public forum, atleast paint an accurate picture.

I hope I've clarified and expanded the current situation.  Eve isn't a game for loners, although you can play it alone and make isk and have a good time, it will leave a lot of the game unexplored though, nothing inherently wrong with that.  MOST of the items on the market has been created by players, find a gap and fill it fast.  Know there's a war going on in a couple of systems, find out what they need supply it as fast as you can.

I can't change your mind about Eve, I can't really get away from not having to play often to skill up my character either.  It is just another MMO on the market.  In my opinion what it does it does uniquely, even after three plus years.  Amazing!!

• dsorrentdsorrent Member CommonPosts: 1,627

The game seems cool so far cant wait to get a better ship. I am going combat all the way.

It's been a while since I played Eve, however, when I was playing, you really couldn't do this. Mining at the lower levels was almost a MUST if you wanted to make any money.

Has this aspect of the game changed?

It's been a while since I played Eve, however, when I was playing, you really couldn't do this. Mining at the lower levels was almost a MUST if you wanted to make any money.

Kind of.  Now that you start with 800K skill points, if you're REALLY clever you should be able to start a pretty good combat character that can go out into the .8 - .9 belts in the first day.

The game has changed a lot in the last year and the tutorial has got longer. Which is a good thing. Unfortunately it's got a LOT LOT longer.

But still the bonus's for actually finishing the tutorial and agent missions will see yourself  right in a good frigate.  Eve isn't about what skills you got, or what ships you can fly, or how much is in your wallet, it's about who know and who you're willing to stamp on or help up to assist you in the future

Very true.

• RollinDutchRollinDutch Member Posts: 550
    Originally posted by grimboj

Well, to be an explorer, you grab a ship - preferably something fast with a good cloaking device - and head out to dangerous space. You start cranking out scan probes and hope that you get a twitch. Sometimes you find nothing. Sometimes you can triangulate on a sensor anomaly. When you warp there you could find an asteroid belt that evaded earlier survey, or perhaps a pirate fleet depot loaded with ships which are unhappy to see you, and capable of expressing that unhappiness with large amounts of firepower. There's a half-dozen skills or so which allow you to improve your scanning and probing.

Incidentally, I have a couple corpmates who do nothing but play the market. Without even leaving stations. Given that they make more then the rest of the corp put together, and none of them even own a freighter, I'd guess that you just sucked at trading.

Originally posted by dsorrent

The game seems cool so far cant wait to get a better ship. I am going combat all the way.

That 'aspect of the game' changed in December '03. If you want to mine to make money, fine - if not, there's plenty of other options.
    Just wanted to chime back in and say that I am having alot of fun. Couple of my friends are back from a game break anre are enjoying the game too. I got a better grasp on the game and am on my way to good times i belive. I will have a full report coming soon.
  • NicoliNicoli Member Posts: 1,312

Just wanted to chime back in and say that I am having alot of fun. Couple of my friends are back from a game break anre are enjoying the game too. I got a better grasp on the game and am on my way to good times i belive. I will have a full report coming soon.
    As a new player to EVE it will be good to have you give a well written report on your experiences with the game. Perhaps if possible provide the answers to some of your own questions you may have had with the game.
  • _Shadowmage_Shadowmage Member Posts: 1,459

Nope - Guild Wars.

• jayheld90jayheld90 Member UncommonPosts: 1,726
    Originally posted by _Shadowmage

Nope - Guild Wars.

wrong buddy, guild wars is instanced. eve online has no instances whatsoever.

My intial imressions Part 1: ingame movie I made plz watch in original format  http://media.putfile.com/Eve-Online-Intial-Impressions

What is war with out consenquence? World of Warcraft.

Have you ever wondered what it would be like to take over the cross roads or Under city? Me too, the thing is you cant. That is why alot of mmorpg players are searching. Searching for a game that has true cause and effect.

Economics, community, and real danger seem to be alive and well in EVE online.  I have tried eve online before and quit wthin 10 minutes due to learnign curve and not being able to play a game with no bipedal avatar. Now that I have relized what I am looking for in a game I came back. What is it I am looking for you ask? Let me list for you.

1. Cause and Effect (players have meaningfull impact on the world they are in)

2.Community (players actually interact on a world wide scale through economical, social, and combative means)

3. Consenquence ( players think twice before they engage) example of no consenquence : World of Warcraft

4.Deep and evolved faction wars

5.Plenty of differnet approaches to play the game.

Thats it folks thats all I need to make me happy besides the whole look and graphic part of a game. Eve Online seems to run pretty decent excpet for an area called Jita wichs is a large trading area it seems. Overall I am pleased with the look and feel of the game.

The game so far seems like it would involve alot of solo activity due to the fact that your in space might have somethign to do with that. But there are alot of tools to interact with people and get partys started and what not.

One of the cool features I like about the game is that there is no xp.

part 2 coming.

• PantasticPantastic Member Posts: 1,204

This is a really good summary of why you shouldn't take the fanboys very seriously. "Explorer" simply isn't a career path in EVE, none of the fans are going to be able to tell you how to actually afford to replace ships lost from pirates while exploring, or what exactly you're supposed to explore. "Miner" you get to experience the entire career choice during the tutorial, you focus a laser on a rock and wait. "Hauler" means you fly a non-combat ship, click quickly on bookmarks, and hope you don't get caught. "Research" means you grind the same dozen or so missions for a particular agent. I could go on, but you get the idea.

The EVE community is grossly immature, just not in the sort of way people complain about in WOW. The bulk of the 'community' is people in big alliances demanding that others bow and scrape to them, not exactly endearing to mature adults. Read the EVE board here or the official boards, the EVE players regard the idea that if someone ever mouths off to you you can virtually beat them up and take their stuff as a major feature.

EVE has no real risk/reward mechanics at all that I'm aware of. For example, it's much more dangerous to mine in one of the chokepoint systems between 0.0 and secure space than to mine in alliance controlled territory, but mining in alliance territory provides far more rewards. It's far more risky for a pirate to attack a combat ship than a hauler, but the reward of hitting a hauler is generally much better than that of hitting a combat ship. The vaunted risk/reward doesn't really seem to be there when you actually look.

Originally posted by Sidrat
    Single Shard server, zero amount of grinding (unless you really like doing the same thing for more than a couple of hours at a time).

This is just an absurd claim, EVE has a HUGE amount of grinding. PVP combat doesn't generate resources for new ships, all of the materials to build ships and other gear comes from grinding - either mining, ratting, or mission running. Most of people's playtime in EVE overall is grinding or traveling, though some individuals may not have to. It's possible to bypass grinding for money by either buying ISK or having someone give you a bunch, or via trading (where you spend time buying and reselling items, which I don't consider grinding), but it wouldn't be possible for the majority of players to do this.

• RollinDutchRollinDutch Member Posts: 550
    Originally posted by Pantastic

This is a really good summary of why you shouldn't take the fanboys very seriously. "Explorer" simply isn't a career path in EVE, none of the fans are going to be able to tell you how to actually afford to replace ships lost from pirates while exploring, or what exactly you're supposed to explore. "Miner" you get to experience the entire career choice during the tutorial, you focus a laser on a rock and wait. "Hauler" means you fly a non-combat ship, click quickly on bookmarks, and hope you don't get caught. "Research" means you grind the same dozen or so missions for a particular agent. I could go on, but you get the idea.

The EVE community is grossly immature, just not in the sort of way people complain about in WOW. The bulk of the 'community' is people in big alliances demanding that others bow and scrape to them, not exactly endearing to mature adults. Read the EVE board here or the official boards, the EVE players regard the idea that if someone ever mouths off to you you can virtually beat them up and take their stuff as a major feature.

EVE has no real risk/reward mechanics at all that I'm aware of. For example, it's much more dangerous to mine in one of the chokepoint systems between 0.0 and secure space than to mine in alliance controlled territory, but mining in alliance territory provides far more rewards. It's far more risky for a pirate to attack a combat ship than a hauler, but the reward of hitting a hauler is generally much better than that of hitting a combat ship. The vaunted risk/reward doesn't really seem to be there when you actually look.

Originally posted by Sidrat

This is just an absurd claim, EVE has a HUGE amount of grinding. PVP combat doesn't generate resources for new ships, all of the materials to build ships and other gear comes from grinding - either mining, ratting, or mission running. Most of people's playtime in EVE overall is grinding or traveling, though some individuals may not have to. It's possible to bypass grinding for money by either buying ISK or having someone give you a bunch, or via trading (where you spend time buying and reselling items, which I don't consider grinding), but it wouldn't be possible for the majority of players to do this.

I couldnt figure out how to explore, so exploring sucks.

I couldnt figure out how to not piss people off, so everyone sucks.

I couldnt figure out how to reduce risk, so risk sucks.

I couldnt figure out how to make money from PvP, so PvP sucks.