Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Guildwars VS WoW

which one do you like better and why

and WoW players... ppl who like gw more dont need your"You just cant handle WoW" crap

Ill have to say guildwars is better, the idea where you unlock skills/items for pvp... and can pvp at any given point on a premade pvp character is great.... and I HATE grinding

Comments

• Keebs1984Keebs1984 Member Posts: 1,356
    Not a fan of whole-world instancing...

WoW wins.

Eternally mine,
    Keebs

The MMO gaming blog I write for.

• buford40buford40 Member Posts: 7
    ok thats a good point
  • paulscottpaulscott Member Posts: 5,613
    not a fan of the instancing thing,  but I can have some of the greatest FUN-PvP in GW.  it however is not my only game.

I find it amazing that by 2020 first world countries will be competing to get immigrants.

• ginettiginetti Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 301
    My greatest ever experience with MMORPG's has so far been with WOW.  I bought the game as soon as it was released in Australia, and just the cover graphics shots and so forth on the box had me excited to play the darned thing.

Once I got in, i made a hunter... something i was looking forward to making way before the game was released officialy.

What fun, is all i can say.

My night elf explored her island and the wonderful, scarey creatures that inhabited it.

Then the next amazing thing happened, when I hopped on some flying creature that took me to my mainland.

Wow... just Wow...

I even showed my mum, who was not as impressed as i was.

Landing on the shore, i looked about... beautiful, but more forboding than before.

Sick animals around me, rabid bears etc.

All in all, WOW gave me the most fun i've ever had in any MMORPG, and even the PVP, while usless at the time (honour system was not yet implimented) i enjoyed many a fight and duel against the enemy and even my own team mates.

Guild Wars was also fun, but in my experience, it would be like comparing jacking yourself off or making love to a TV or MOVIE siren/actor/actress.

Ginetti.

----
    MMORPG's I've Played: World of Warcraft: 10/10 - Rappelz: 7/10 - Ragnarok Online: 8/10 - DnD Online: 2/10 - Runescape: 6/10 - LotR Online: 5/10 - Anarchy Online: 7/10 - CoV: 8/10 - Rohan Online: 8/10 - Guild Wars: 7/10 - Flyff: 8/10 - Warhammer Online: 8/10

My HARDCORE Story

• Bama1267Bama1267 Member UncommonPosts: 1,822

Whole world instancing took the massive out of mmo for me. Seemed like nothing more than diablo with towns for a chat room.

WOW for me.

Unlocking skills or buying skills ?

• XersuesXersues Member Posts: 40
    I absolutely despise WoW with every fiber of my being. I was there for beta, played for a little while, and messed around on free servers. I played DAoC at the time, and saw no reason to go from one boring grindfest to the other. But that doesn't mean WoW is a bad game. It just is to me.

I definitely enjoy Guild Wars (Nightfall and Factions, not so much Prophecies) much more. Its fast, balanced, and I love playing it with friends. The community I have found in general to suck in GW, and on average I have noticed it does in WoW too (I came from DAoC Bors, and its a very close knit cluster, and not many people are rude, and well... not many people heh).

Its hard to compare the two, one actually has a massive persistent world, while the other is a personal persistent world.

Instead of calling it an MMORPG, maybe call it a PMORPG (Personal multiplayer online role playing game) The devs tried to call it a Cooperative Role Playing games, but people insisted on calling it an MMO and well here it is... on mmorpg.com. Fancy that.

*Off topic*

Whats the fetish with doing vs. threads anyway? People want to justify their addiction by forcing a status quo of supremacy of one over the other? This is actually one of the tamest I have seen.
  • SokyuteSokyute Member Posts: 29
    It's a tie. they both lose.

both terrible games imo but because im still playing WoW(nothing better out) and not GW... i'll say WoW wins this battle.
  • NeuroXlNeuroXl Member Posts: 291

wow just reminds me too much of a power puff girls cartoon ...

guildwars FTW

• exanimoexanimo Member UncommonPosts: 1,301

boring ...
    this is a dead war , guildwars won already.

• JackcoltJackcolt Member UncommonPosts: 2,170
    Guild Wars.

Mostly since it has far more competitive depth.

• ShijukiShijuki Member UncommonPosts: 318
    Originally posted by buford40

which one do you like better and why and WoW players... ppl who like gw more dont need your"You just cant handle WoW" crap Ill have to say guildwars is better, the idea where you unlock skills/items for pvp... and can pvp at any given point on a premade pvp character is great.... and I HATE grinding
    Ok, then GW is for you.
  • DowieDowie Member Posts: 280
    Well i hate them both... just to much instancing and immature people, would say wow due to less instancing.
  • GameloadingGameloading Member UncommonPosts: 14,182
    Originally posted by neoteo

boring ...

Actually WoW won the "war". More players and better review scores.
  • NadrilNadril Member Posts: 1,276
    WoW.

Guild Wars is simply too short to be considered for a long term game.
  • DsyndicateDsyndicate Member Posts: 17
    GW realy isnt an MMO. Think about it! The only MMO part of GW is in town, so its motre like playing a lan game with people you met in a chatroom. Also GW gets boreing after a while. Once I beat it im like......Ok that was fun, im making me a taco....then I never played it again. I had the best guild made up of the 1st beta testers and we rocked! but then everyone got bored and we went from the max amout of players you can have in a guild that were all active, to only 2 people active! after 5 months we disbanded the clan and uninstalled it.
  • mastervilemastervile Member Posts: 37
    wow wins, gw is a pretend mmorpg.

• illeriller Member UncommonPosts: 517
    *Votes Pat Buchanan on accident*

ARGH!!!
  • LackeyZeroLackeyZero Member Posts: 640

To all the people, who keeps arguing or needing to point out that GW isn't an mmorpg (with exception to those just speaking about the point that instancing is not your thing)... (Note - it definitely is an morpg at the very least)

Guess what? It doesn't matter...

Is GW ( and DDO) put on just about every game site in the "mmorpg" genre? Yes

Do people, who looks for an mmorpg, consider playing Guild Wars ( or DDO)? Yes

Get over it, it has been out for over 2 years has it...

Anyways, back on topic... I picked GW, just because of the pvp aspect... WOW lasted about a 3-4 days for me during open beta before I felt bored, because it just started feeling monotonous... GW, I played pvp for like a month or 2 and get really bored due to the use of the same tactics over and over, until they change the skills then I come back every once in awhile...

• rock_harryrock_harry Member Posts: 183

never played wow coz its too cartoony for me played guildwars in beta all the way to nightfall.

But its a bit boring now for me need to try some thing new like gods and heros when its out

so i say guildwars for me best off the two

• OrcaOrca Member UncommonPosts: 629
    Originally posted by Jackcolt

Guild Wars.

Mostly since it has far more competitive depth.
    Well, then you should try out the new Arena system in WoW. If it isnt competitive, then i can't think of what is.

I hope you will try it out, as it is alot like Guild Wars' BG system. And now they have added a rating, which means you will only meet premades in your own "skill range".

tbh, i would like something whole new and ol' school, with non-instanced PvP and player item drop in the world... that would be the perfect game =)))))))

And it would be awesome if WoW became like that^^ Because it really is a great game, but the lack of actual "penalties" from dying, is so dull... And the same thing apply to Guild Wars.

Futilez - Mature MMORPG Community

Correcting people since birth.

Originally posted by Gameloading
    Originally posted by neoteo boring ...
    Actually WoW won the "war". More players and better review scores.

better reviews ?

not in the comunity you have 5000 posts

That is because I'm talking about real reviews made by people who know what their talking about, not by "z0mg, GW is free its teh bestest game evar!1111one"

so why do you post here then

• osc8rosc8r Member UncommonPosts: 688

That is because I'm talking about real reviews made by people who know what their talking about, not by "z0mg, GW is free its teh bestest game evar!1111one"
    Problem is [generally speaking] most of these reviews were written what, after playing the game for like a month? And that's being generous! Hell, even i enjoyed WOWs grinding for the first month!

In the case of MMORPG reviews i take 'critic' reviews with a grain of salt, unless of course...they review the game after having played it for at least 6 months and  experienced the end game etc, but they don't, they need to push their reviews out there to be first, to make money.

WOW sucks.

GW is a tad better.

Unfortunately there isn't too much else too choose from at this time in terms of modern MMORPG's.
    Originally posted by neoteo

so why do you post here then
    Will you please actually READ first before you make comments?

Originally posted by osc8r

Problem is [generally speaking] most of these reviews were written what, after playing the game for like a month? And that's being generous! Hell, even i enjoyed WOWs grinding for the first month!

In the case of MMORPG reviews i take 'critic' reviews with a grain of salt, unless of course...they review the game after having played it for at least 6 months and  experienced the end game etc, but they don't, they need to push their reviews out there to be first, to make money.

WOW sucks.

GW is a tad better.

Unfortunately there isn't too much else too choose from at this time in terms of modern MMORPG's. And its impossible to judge a game like WoW in a month? Its not a game like ArchLord or Lineage 2 that opens up at later stages, and neither is GW.