Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

is this game really any gud?

murdera2k6murdera2k6 Member UncommonPosts: 474
i dont play EQ2 but it looks OK, i was wondering whether its worth it, if its actually any gud (hint the title), how many pple play it and is there a free trial to it? is better than WoW or GW???

"If they can make Penicillin out of mouldy bread, they can sure make something out of you," - Muhammed Ali

Comments

• AvisonAvison Member Posts: 350

It's really the best fantasy mmorpg out there. It's a great game, and yes there is a trial!

www.playthefae.com  

• DeadfastDeadfast Member Posts: 13

I've played Everquest, World of Warcraft, Lineage I, Lineage II, Guild Wars, Asheron's Call, Asheron's Call 2, Everquest II, Face of Mankind, and tons of others I can't think of at the moment. Everquest was the best mmorpg I've ever played, and will probably be the best for a while, and EverQuest II, although not quite as good as EQ1 was in its heyday, is definitely better than all the other (current-gen, I guess you could call it) mmorpgs in my opinion. In the Play the Fae trial, which is actually how I started EQ2 since I had been playing World of Warcraft, the Fae characters may seem a little ridiculous, but the game was good enough to get me to look past that, and even begin to like and see the advantages of a Fae character. A game that can turn this fruity little creature into a desirable character, is definitely a good one.

• TheICETheICE Member UncommonPosts: 120
    its Defently one of the best
  • erinyserinys Member UncommonPosts: 395
    No offense meant, but yes, its a very good game, but im positive you will not like it, you fit a profile wich there arent many of ingame to be honest.
  • murdera2k6murdera2k6 Member UncommonPosts: 474
    tahnks for ur comments i really appreciate it, im gonna play the FAE to then i will see what its like. ive played WoW but i got easily bored of it, nothing much to after lvl 60  just raids... i hope that u can do much mroe in EQ2.

"If they can make Penicillin out of mouldy bread, they can sure make something out of you," - Muhammed Ali

and is there only ONE GENDER???

And how many expansions are there to the game?

• ValorusValorus Member Posts: 235
    Originally posted by murdera2k6

And how many expansions are there to the game?

There are male and female in Everquest 2.  As for expansions there are now 3 expansions, First was Desert of Flame, then Kingdom of Sky, and finally the Echos of Fewdwer.  There are also some smaller updates that you could get for under $10.00 that added some additional content to the game. 

My wife and I both play EQ2 - in fact we both do what is called 2 boxing.  We each have 2 computers and 2 accounts and play them at the same time - makes for a nice out of the box group of 4.

It's a solid game and should keep you busy for quite a while.  Good luck with it!

(phew) thanks alot, i was scared for a second.

one last quesion, is it better than GW or WoW

• EtoilePBEtoilePB Member Posts: 6

one last quesion, is it better than GW or WoW
    Well, that's really too subjective a question, isn't it.

Personally, I really, really disliked WoW.  Even though I went over there to join up with a bunch of old friends from other games (a lot of old members of my EQ2 guild are playing together on one server, and a lot of guys I used to work with are playing on another) I just didn't like it.  I hated the mechanics, I hated the camera control, the default UI is a total disaster... I'm not going to bash it for other players, but it emphatically was NOT my thing.

So of course I think EQ2 is better, I've been playing it for nearly two years.  ;)  Obviously, your mileage may vary, and every person who's tried both games is going to give you a different answer.  Clearly the friends of mine who went to WoW and have failed to come back to EQ2 are going to give you a different answer.  And I hate to abuse an ancient analogy, but... it really is apples and oranges.

As for GW, that's comparing apples and tropical fish.  So I won't.  ;)  Two totally different things.
  • SockpuppetSockpuppet Member Posts: 4
    I'm a huge EQ fan but could never get into the game mechanics of EQ2.  As for WoW, I play it because I can't find any better, but there are parts that I just cant stand.  The biggest problem I'm having with WoW is that it is too cartoony.  It's not the fantasy aspect, but a lot of the terrain seems like it was taken out of a comic book.  Anywho, I'll play the field right now and see what I can get in to based on one month subscriptions and free client downloads.
  • severiusseverius Member UncommonPosts: 1,516
    EQ2 has made significant improvements to its core game.  I had tried it at launch and then again around a year ago... both times I ended up cancelling it and writing it off as typical SOE garbage.  However, I recently reactivated and I must say that it is a good game.  Its not the end all be all, I for one do not like completely directed content and with a good number of dungeons being non instanced you can run into problems.  With that said though, you can also run into some surprising good times.  For now, it is my mmo of choice until Warhammer, AoC, or TR come out.  Whether or not I am still playing it this time next year I can not honestly say.
    thanks for ur feedback :p keep them coming :)

• MoiraeMoirae Member RarePosts: 3,318
    I've played it almost since the day it came out. I'd say this is the best game out there. This is the only game I've lasted any amount of time on and it just gets better, not worse.

oh and another question ,what is an SOE??? Every1 seems to hate them/it.

NVM i know now :p

my bad the game works but u have to start it up again....they shud tellu be4 hand.

EQ2 is a million times better than GW or WoW. Much much much much better.

I've tried many other games but this is the one I keep coming back to.
  • Kaynos1972Kaynos1972 Member Posts: 2,316
    I bought the game a month ago, EoF with all the expansions and so far i'm having a blast.   This is a really GOOD game.   I played WOW before that for over a year and got burned out by it.   EQ2 is a really nice alternative.   The only thing i don't like in EQ2 is how dark the game is at night, i wish it was like WOW.   But other than that, it's great, my main toon is up to 37 now, i'm a bruiser :).
    ty for ur feedback :p keep them coming :P as be4:P

• eccotoneccoton Member UncommonPosts: 1,340

I play all 3 games you mention but left WoW for good recently. All three EQ2, WoW, and GW have strong points. I am not a WoW hater. However if you are looking for a persistent world that seems alive. Or a game that has more things to do then fight and level. Then, Eq2 is the game to play. Be warned you need a hefty computer to play it to enjoy it's true beauty. If you have the system EQ2 is an amazing looking game with great 3d sound.

The quests are fun and varied although there are the rinse and repeat quests too like in other mmos at times. The crafting system is deep and varied. As a non crafter in games I actually do some in EQ2 because it is fun and you make cool stuff. There is player housing with cool collectables and player made stuff for your house. I love working on my player houses. There are mounts in the form of horses of many types and flying carpets. The world of Norrath is huge if you have all the expansions. Much bigger then WoW. 3 starting cities gives variety to beginning play. Many races to choose from. If you want to be a frog go for it. Many professions to go along with them. Also a great storyline.

All in All, with 9 years of mmos experience I feel EQ2 is the best mmorpg out at the moment and will hold up for years to the new ones coming out. If you are not a grinder, enjoy exploring and being in a living game world, then you will have years of content to go through. This is a game I rarely feel bored in. It seems just as i start to feel a bit bored something new and amazing happens when i least expect it. SOE has messed up more then one game but they have handled EQ2 right. I highly recommend this one and at less then 40 buck for game and all 3 main expansions a great value as well.

• erinyserinys Member UncommonPosts: 395
    Originally posted by eccoton

I play all 3 games you mention but left WoW for good recently. All three EQ2, WoW, and GW have strong points. I am not a WoW hater. However if you are looking for a persistent world that seems alive. Or a game that has more things to do then fight and level. Then, Eq2 is the game to play. Be warned you need a hefty computer to play it to enjoy it's true beauty. If you have the system EQ2 is an amazing looking game with great 3d sound.
    The quests are fun and varied although there are the rinse and repeat quests too like in other mmos at times. The crafting system is deep and varied. As a non crafter in games I actually do some in EQ2 because it is fun and you make cool stuff. There is player housing with cool collectables and player made stuff for your house. I love working on my player houses. There are mounts in the form of horses of many types and flying carpets. The world of Norrath is huge if you have all the expansions. Much bigger then WoW. 3 starting cities gives variety to beginning play. Many races to choose from. If you want to be a frog go for it. Many professions to go along with them. Also a great storyline.
    All in All, with 9 years of mmos experience I feel EQ2 is the best mmorpg out at the moment and will hold up for years to the new ones coming out. If you are not a grinder, enjoy exploring and being in a living game world, then you will have years of content to go through. This is a game I rarely feel bored in. It seems just as i start to feel a bit bored something new and amazing happens when i least expect it. SOE has messed up more then one game but they have handled EQ2 right. I highly recommend this one and at less then 40 buck for game and all 3 main expansions a great value as well.

/applaud!

and allreade the servers are getting more and more busiers every day, many people like you and me feel the exact same..

Hell to be honest.. i dont have a frikking clue why i spend the last 2 years in wow/daoc/eve.. and not here in EQ2...

well i think i do know why.. all the trials never  "caught" me. and last week i made  freeport char and was like .. GRR lame.. but EoF and the FAE, and everything there is to it makes it SO much better.. hell my GF loves it!

Thanks for feedback, i got the play the FAE trial version. i thought that was rubbish so far but that is only one race however i was really suprised at the good graphics. so far its not as good as WoW or GW but i havent bought the game yet so i cant comment on that. Your feedback is mostly positive so..well just have to see how the game goes. please keep ur feedback coming thanks :P

• LazzaroLazzaro Member UncommonPosts: 548

Thanks for feedback, i got the play the FAE trial version. i thought that was rubbish so far but that is only one race however i was really suprised at the good graphics. so far its not as good as WoW or GW but i havent bought the game yet so i cant comment on that. Your feedback is mostly positive so..well just have to see how the game goes. please keep ur feedback coming thanks :P

Find a good group of people or a guild. It will get much better. Trust me.

Now that you've played the Fae character, try others. You just have to play a Fae for your first character. All of the others then open up for you.