Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Full looting PVP? Who's with me! (Poll)

Ultima Online was my first MMORPG. I won't waste your time with a huge story about how awesome it was to go out and risk losing everything, but it was truly an adrenaline packed fun fest! There wasn't that much uber loot, but there was some! I remember getting a silver katana of power from some guy in Despise. I've never been quite so excited about a drop in any game since. I lost it a few days later, but the gain outwieghed the loss, big time.

So here's my question. Should they have at least one Free for all Full looting server in Vanguard?

Comments

• gillvane1gillvane1 Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,503
    Depends on how long you have to grind to replace your crap. PvP, get killed, then grind for a week so you can replace crap (otherwise you're Pwned in PvP), then go PvP again, rinse repeat, would be kinda boring. That means fighting once a week. I'd rather see a bit more action than that.
  • LasastardLasastard Member Posts: 604
    Since raiding will play an important part, I would have to say that full looting will not work in Vanguard. As said before me, if replacing your stuff takes a significant amount of time, you cant have looting. If items are easy to get and thus are not "valuable", than it would be a different story.
  • anarchyartanarchyart Member Posts: 5,378
    Originally posted by gillvane1

Depends on how long you have to grind to replace your crap. PvP, get killed, then grind for a week so you can replace crap (otherwise you're Pwned in PvP), then go PvP again, rinse repeat, would be kinda boring. That means fighting once a week. I'd rather see a bit more action than that.

So how could the devs, in an admittedly item-centric game, make full looting a viably (is that a word?) fun way to play? I just remember the adrenaline of being chased by two griefers and getting away, or of standing your ground against a ganker and winning. It was just so fun and I wonder if it's possible to have that in todays games again.

• jayheld90jayheld90 Member UncommonPosts: 1,726
    it doesnt matter what you want, it already has no penalty for pvp except getting sent back to your bind point. i am currently playing on the pvp beta server.
  • TaeraTaera Community ManagerMember CommonPosts: 1,078

A full looting PvP game could be done, but you can't really just stick that system into an existing game, such as Vanguard.  Vanguard is a fairly itemcentric game - and let's face it, if PlayerX can kill PlayerY, and then takes all his gear, PlayerY has even less of a chance to win his stuff back.  A full looting PvP game would need to allow players to have multiple sets of armor (like Vanguard) but also place less significance on items and make them even easier to get.

Another nightmare when dealing with a full looting PvP game would be support.  PlayerY might petition in in attempts to get his gear back, then finally quit in dejection.  And believe it or not, MMO developers are trying to KEEP players, not drive 'em off :)

Laura "Taera" Genender
    Community Manager
    MMORPG.com

• 7hunderstorm7hunderstorm Member Posts: 10
    It is not possible in Vanguard. The items are worth too much. In UO I had many sets of armor and tons of weapons for when I died. The weapons and armor were close to the same power to avoid twinking. A Vanq was not too much more powerful than a normal weapon, compared to a modern level 1 weapon and a raid weapon. In Vanguard I imagine that you will have only 1 set of armor for each sphere. Imagine if you lost all of that. If you had raid armor and you lost it that would be ridiculous. Even if they allowed looting, 95% of the loot would be useless to you, except to sell. With 15 classes there will be so many types of weapons and armor. Anyone lower level will have inferioir armor and anyone higher level will have armor you cant wear.

Vanguard will not have looting. It is impossible. Look for another game in the future where items don't mean anything.

This is almost as bad as the perma death thing. How the hell would anyone ever be able to get anywhere if they have to restarted when they die. Most people die hundreds or even thousands of times before they reach the cap. What if you spent 2 years making a character and you got disconnected in a fight. The same applies to looting. Gear in these modern games takes countless hours to obtain and dying comes way too often.

They would have to completely change the game to make this a lootable game. Considering its almost open beta I doubt that is going to happen.

If they had this server I doubt anyone would play on it. Talk about griefing... I can handle someone camping me and causing me to lose exp, but a high level on this server could totally ruin countless players' games. What if the raid wipes because the cleric d/c or the tank was a noob? Everyone wipes and loses all of their stuff? Thats crazy.
  • havocthefirshavocthefirs Member Posts: 229
    Originally posted by anarchyart

Ultima Online was my first MMORPG. I won't waste your time with a huge story about how awesome it was to go out and risk losing everything, but it was truly an adrenaline packed fun fest! There wasn't that much uber loot, but there was some! I remember getting a silver katana of power from some guy in Despise. I've never been quite so excited about a drop in any game since. I lost it a few days later, but the gain outwieghed the loss, big time.
    So here's my question. Should they have at least one Free for all Full looting server in Vanguard?

I'm still playing UO on a free server with the old rule set, its not quite as good as it originally was, but after nine years its still the best game out there for PVP.

The only way it would work in an item-centric game like VSoH would be to make PVP guild based. Guilds would declare war on other guilds then they could loot each other. That way if you didn't want to lose your uber gear, you could just let one of your non-guild characters wear the good stuff. Personally I'd wear the good stuff and take the chance, more exciting that way.

Hopefully they'll make a server or two with this type of rule set. I can't see myself playing this game too long without full looting.

People seem to think full looting and griefing go together when the opposite is true. Look at WOW, they stalk your corpse just to grief because PVP has no meaning. Without looting the ONLY reason to PVP is griefing. No one camps an empty corpse because theres no point theres nothing to gain.

Can't you just see it now, a horde of people waiting at the res points to kill you as you get ressed. I'm sorry but that doesn't sound fun or exciting to me. Hopefully the folks at sigel will break the mold and give us what we want.

Originally posted by havocthefirs

Originally posted by anarchyart

I'm still playing UO on a free server with the old rule set, its not quite as good as it originally was, but after nine years its still the best game out there for PVP.

The only way it would work in an item-centric game like VSoH would be to make PVP guild based. Guilds would declare war on other guilds then they could loot each other. That way if you didn't want to lose your uber gear, you could just let one of your non-guild characters wear the good stuff. Personally I'd wear the good stuff and take the chance, more exciting that way.

Hopefully they'll make a server or two with this type of rule set. I can't see myself playing this game too long without full looting.

People seem to think full looting and griefing go together when the opposite is true. Look at WOW, they stalk your corpse just to grief because PVP has no meaning. Without looting the ONLY reason to PVP is griefing. No one camps an empty corpse because theres no point theres nothing to gain.

Can't you just see it now, a horde of people waiting at the res points to kill you as you get ressed. I'm sorry but that doesn't sound fun or exciting to me. Hopefully the folks at sigel will break the mold and give us what we want.

OK, you kill someone and take their stuff. Now they can't kill you, or anyone else, cause they are naked. Gear in this game means ALOT, so they are now helpless against anyone their level that has gear. Everytime they go to do something so they can get more gear, they get ganked cause they're an easy target. How long do they continue to play such a game? Just doesn't make much sense in terms of game play. If gear is a huge factor in winning a fight, then once you lose your gear the game is over.
  • ghostinfinitghostinfinit Member UncommonPosts: 552

I'm not so hot on losing gear that I've worked so hard to get.  Suppose you're fighting someone and you DC or someone comes to the door mid battle and you get smoked. 

Reading this thread did put an idea in my head:  Wouldn't it be cool if you could place a wager such as a piece of gear or something before a duel.  You know, ala Magic the Gathering where you randomly pick a few cards, put them aside, duel, then the winner rakes in the spoils.

• EthanaelEthanael Member UncommonPosts: 194
    This would be a good idea... It wouldn't put so much pressure on people and gear and it would divide the players who have skill and the players who don't. Overall, I'd say it would be fun.

Regards,
    Originally posted by ghostinfinit

I'm not so hot on losing gear that I've worked so hard to get.  Suppose you're fighting someone and you DC or someone comes to the door mid battle and you get smoked. 
    Reading this thread did put an idea in my head:  Wouldn't it be cool if you could place a wager such as a piece of gear or something before a duel.  You know, ala Magic the Gathering where you randomly pick a few cards, put them aside, duel, then the winner rakes in the spoils.
    That would be fun, and even side bets on the outcome would be fun, plus not just 1v1 duels, but full group vs full group as well.
  • 7hunderstorm7hunderstorm Member Posts: 10
    Originally posted by ghostinfinit

I like this idea too. What if they had like arena matches where there was no limit to how much you could bet on the fight. People would come to see people fight for millions of gold and stuff. The side bets would be fun also.

Another idea: What if you earned credits by killing people, similar to honor in WoW, only you can buy much better items with these credits. Higher level players would fetch a higher price. I'm thinking kind of along the lines of the silver we had in Uo factions. It might require factions to be implemented though. If you are killed by another player that player takes some or all of your credits and lowers your rank. Maybe thieves could steal credits as well. This leaves everyone with their precious gear.

Also: What if they made certian PvP items that give an advantage in PvP or something, but can be looted? Make them PvP only and not very hard to come by. That way the PvE equipment isnt made obsolete. Maybe you can buy these items with the credits you've earned?

I really enjoyed UO and the looting that came with it. I'm just trying to brainstorm some ideas about how they could add something similar.

EDIT* What if they had seperate gear for PvP and PvE. The PvP gear can boot looted and the PvE gear can not. It would work like the diplomacy/crafting/adenture sets. This has a lot of flaws but it's just an idea.
  • tikitiki Member Posts: 395

i wouldnt say dont put in the server just cus i dont like it, if it would be popular enough, y not, but id like to see a single item and all of ur money looting pvp server, so people had to use the bank so they wernt holding all their money, and if u happen to die u wouldnt lose everything but the person would get to pick 1 item they wanted.

that is just me, donno what anyone else thinks

East Carolina University, Computer Science BS, 2011
    --------------------
    Current game: DAOC

Games played and quit: L2, PlanetSide, RF Online, GuildWars, SWG, COH/COV, Vanguard, LOTRO, WoW, WW2 Online, FFXI, Auto-Assault, EVE Online, ShadowBane, RYL, Rappelz, Last Chaos, Myst Online, POTBS, EQ2, Warhammer Online, AoC, Aion, Champions Online, Star Trek Online, Allods, Darkfall.

Waiting on: Earthrise

Names: Citio, Goldie, Sportacus

• z80paranoiaz80paranoia Member Posts: 410
    I vote yes. Then I wouldn't have to raid, I can just kill people. Also since this would be a separate server, it will have no effect on those who hate the idea.

Guild Wars 2 is my religion

• BrentmeisterBrentmeister Member Posts: 79
    I voted yes, just because I believe that as many play styles should be supported as much a possible. I also would like it so that the, erm, rather zealous and less socially adept fans of this type of play have a place to go (no offense).

There's free love on the Freelove Freeway.

• elvenangelelvenangel Member Posts: 2,205

Full loot pvping is one of the biggest turn offs for me atleast.   I mean I loved ultima but I used to hate wandering down the road to have 10 people jump me and rob me even if I appeared naked!  I'm sure there's a viable nitch of people who would love to see these ways ressurected into a new game but its a casual gamer's market, which means its very unlikely a game would make this a full feature.

Even Ultima removed it when there were losing gamers left and right and made it side feature on a  seperate server 'shard'.  If a mmo now added it in its most like to do the same make it a seperate game server if there's a large enough audience call for it.

I hardly doubt this game will give it to you being item centric so I put no.  I'm surprised Shadowbane doesn't have it, isn't that a full all pvp game?

Please Refer to Doom Cat with all conspiracies & evil corporation complaints. He'll give you the simple explination of..WE"RE ALL DOOMED!

• peewee1999peewee1999 Member Posts: 9

can anyone tell me if  VG  has any conflict setup for PvP like controling resorces, cities or something

• PrimusPilusPrimusPilus Member Posts: 4
    I miss Asheron's Call PvP, no game has come close since, and I am starting to think none will.

As for full looting PvP, I'm with you. I do not, and never have, played a MMORPG for items. So I don't care if I lose them. PvP MUST have consequences to be fun, I am so sick of this carebear stuff that is becoming the standard in the newer MMORPGs.