Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

health regeneration? and what role will food/drink play?

food/drink boost stats? i hope you have to build a camp and rest to boost stats while you are out adventuring for a long time.

hunting? fishing?

any mmorpgs do this?

Comments

• ChraneChrane Member Posts: 23

That is a good question.  I have to do some reading myself.  Not sure if they even mentioned anything about this yet.  Food and Drink are used in some MMO's as means to regen Mana/Health however.  Sometimes even to boost certain stats on a temporary basis.

• cajun47cajun47 Member Posts: 73
    bump
  • SWGforrevaSWGforreva Member Posts: 194
    we do know there will be food/drink and it will boost ur health/mana regen but i dont know anything about stat bonuses..and i havent heard anything on fishing or hunting, yet
  • FionFion Member UncommonPosts: 2,348
    I'm personally hoping that use of food/drink is for social purposes mostly, like it was in Anarchy Online where you'd get your bottle of whiskey and your plate with a Mongo burger on it and go hang out at the coffee shop in West Athen hehe.

That or minor buffs. I dislike the use of food/drink as the way to regenerate. Sitting down and spending 15 seconds eating and drinking some generic foodstuff to restore yourself breaks immersion IMHO. I'd rather see something a little more organic.

The idea of camps is a good one. In Star Wars Galaxies using a camp was the best way to rejuv your team. The Scout or Ranger takes out his nice big camp set and sets down an area with come tables and chairs, a few nice tents. A security perimeter, etc. :) You'd just hang out and talk about your next encounter, use a few stim packs to heal up while watching someone play music. Was quite fun really.

Granted pre-NGE Star Wars Galaxies and old Anarchy Online, my two fav MMOGs, are both scifi genre games. (What can I say I'm a sucker for scifi MMOGs) How you handle regeneration in a historical-fiction universe like AoC, can be touchy. Perhaps some form of rest and relaxation. As much as some people hated having to come to a medic or entertainers to heal wounds in SWG I enjoyed taking that time off from battle. Listening to music or just chatting with Doctors as they patched you up. If in AoC you had to visit a medicine man or go have a healthy bar room brawl to heal those serious wounds, I'd be a lot of fun hehe.

Somehow I get the feeling however that regeneration will be quick and easy, like in AO. Use some item fast and your done. But who knows for sure.

Having the hunt and cook and eat your own meals, or purchase meals made by other hunter/gatherer players would be very cool. In SWG I had a character that just remained in the wilderness off on the edges of planets. Just hunting prey with my rifle, then building a fire and cooking a meal out of my kill. Granted the whole hunting/gathering dynamic in SWG was far beyond anything seen in other MMOGs like WoW, where it's practically laughable in comparison. It was fun to just spend days out in the wild, rarely crossing paths with anyone, just living off the land :) Course that was before the introduction of player cities. Within a year of that and there wasn't much land untouched by cities or farms of harvesting equipment hehe.

Unfortunately there is no hunter/gatherer crafting in AoC, at least none that has been announced. There is resource gathering but it seams to be an automated aspect of crafting, perhaps similar to SWG where you would hunt down the best minerals, plants and chemicals and lay down harvesting machines to extract large quantities until you drained that particular resource dry. Considering certain prestige classes in the game increase resource gathering just by being in a guild, I suspect it'll be an automated process like this. Perhaps guilds will own NPC's that do all the dirty work (IE slaves.) It's hard to say really until we know more about how crafting works.

"Having the hunt and cook and eat your own meals, or purchase meals made by other hunter/gatherer players would be very cool."

i was hopping age of conan was like that. im looking for a mmorpg where its very nessary to hunt your own food or buy it from other players when you are out there away from cities/towns.

• bverjibverji Member UncommonPosts: 722
    I just saw a video today saying that food will give stat bonuses. Nothing more specific then that was said though.
  • santafr0gsantafr0g Member Posts: 23
    Originally posted by Fion

I'm personally hoping that use of food/drink is for social purposes mostly, like it was in Anarchy Online where you'd get your bottle of whiskey and your plate with a Mongo burger on it and go hang out at the coffee shop in West Athen hehe.

Yeah I definitely liked the system in AO - more reliant on easily-bought stims/kits than having to sit down and coil.

any new info on this matter?

• AmazingAveryAmazingAvery Age of Conan AdvocateMember UncommonPosts: 7,188

Not yet sorry to my knowledge, Potions are in though also information is limited on them.

Theres a good thread here though:

http://forums.ageofconan.com/showthread.php?t=29045&highlight=food+drink

• IlliusIllius Member UncommonPosts: 4,142

Well according to Conan lore, when Conan himself was done with the killing of sorcerers he would get all the rubies he got as payment and spend it on ale and whores.  And I mean all of it!

So I think they should institute something like SWG had where you go to an INN and drink.... at the very least.

No required quests! And if I decide I want to be an assassin-cartographer-dancer-pastry chef who lives only to stalk and kill interior decorators, then that's who I want to be, even if it takes me four years to max all the skills and everyone else thinks I'm freaking nuts. -Madimorga-

• AmazingAveryAmazingAvery Age of Conan AdvocateMember UncommonPosts: 7,188

Originally posted by Illius

Well according to Conan lore, when Conan himself was done with the killing of sorcerers he would get all the rubies he got as payment and spend it on ale and whores.  And I mean all of it!

So I think they should institute something like SWG had where you go to an INN and drink.... at the very least.

Oh Drunken Tavern Bar Brawl fighting is in!  A special mini PvP game where depending on what type of drink you have had and quantity too makes you fight bad or better. Like 3 jars of Mead Vs 3 shots of home made moonshine, I hope my character can hold his Liquor!

• IlliusIllius Member UncommonPosts: 4,142

I guess it will depend on your constitution.  If that's the case I'll be the biggest fat guy in the bar, I'll be able to hold all my booze and hurt people plenty.

No required quests! And if I decide I want to be an assassin-cartographer-dancer-pastry chef who lives only to stalk and kill interior decorators, then that's who I want to be, even if it takes me four years to max all the skills and everyone else thinks I'm freaking nuts. -Madimorga-