Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Thinking of Getting EQ2

So as the title says im think of getting EQ2 (along with returning to SWG). I was just wondering what would the best class for a noob player to start off as . i have experiance in WoW and MXO in WoW i had a lvl 60 rogue and mage. In MXO i had a lvl 25 fighter. anyways if you could help me with the pros and cons that would be great thanks!

Beefy!

Comments

• boognish75boognish75 Member UncommonPosts: 1,540
    You can be any class you like man, I like my palladin, for soloing , not the best tank in the world cause most of the time people in yer group dont know pally's need a sec or 2 to secure aggro b4 nuking and boming, but palli's can heal, have high mitigation, midgrade spells, can use a shield or 2/h, just make sure when you use your palli in a group for a tank you kindly let the group know not to attack for 2-5 secs until you taunt the mobs and have secure aggro.

playing eq2 and two worlds

• GullibleBeefGullibleBeef Member Posts: 10
    well i know i can be anything i want but is there a easier class or more noobish like say the hunter from WoW?
  • calibekcalibek Member UncommonPosts: 300
    I'm quite new and not to entirely sure but from the classes I've tried and seen I have to say the warlock looks to be the best class for what you're aiming for. Again I just started so i'm not quite sure but i've used the stop breath warlock spell and used in conjuction with other spells takes down mobs quite easily

• EasternwindEasternwind Member Posts: 5
    Well, I think it depends on your personal taste. You sound like someone who enjoys melee combat. (I say that because of the rogue and warrior) you might want to consider their melee classes, of which they have many. I personally enjoyed playing the bard type character of dirge due to the fact that I had some spell-like abilities and great melee skill.

Some cons about EQ2 is the fact that there isn't a huge population, at least not the kind you are used to seeing in WoW. But the people you meet there (at least I found) tend to be more mature and dedicated than the average WoW player. Also, there is no PvP in EQ2 so if you spent a lot of time doing that in WoW it might not be the game for you.

On the pro side it's a fun game. I enjoyed it quite a bit. The crafting is different and I found quite fun. Also, there are so many races and classes to choose from I didn't feel that I was stuck with only a few choices. Also, EQ2 is quite easy to pick-up as far as controls.

All the great things are simple, and many can be expressed in a single word: freedom; justice; honor; duty; mercy; hope. ~Sir Winston Churchill

• MaldachMaldach Member Posts: 399

The Shadowknight is a very good tank class. Wears plate mail, is the evil counterpart to the Paladin. Their melee attacks have lifetaps and DoT components. Has a very nice spell shield that drains health from the mobs and gives life back to you. Good soloing and good for grouping.

Necromancer/Conjurer/Illusionist are mage pet classes. Necromancers summon undead and do damage via lifetaps and DoT's. Conjurers summon elementals and do magic DD's and AOE's. Illusionists summon a twin of themselves and are great mez/stun mages with DoT's and DD's. All 3 solo and group well. Coercer is the 4th mage pet class, but I don't know much about them. Similar to the Illusionist.

Those are the classes I'd recommend starting out with. One big issue in EQ2 right now is the spell economy is out of whack. You need to upgrade your spells beyond the first tier you automatically get when you level up. In the old days, spell upgrades called Adept 1's dropped (and still do) from mobs were the most common upgrade. They are the middle of the road upgrade and serve very well. Now, these Adept 1's can be used as tribute to the Gods and so they are vastly overpriced. I would recommend taking up crafting and create your own spell upgrades. I'm doing this with my Shadowknight and it is working very well. Gain a combat level, go out and harvest and level up crafting, upgrade spells and get back to hunting again. If you don't, you will have a hard time upgrading your spells. as even the player crafted spells can be overpriced.

• SarcSarc Member Posts: 2

As a general rule for EQ2 the pet classes are the easiest to begin with.  I would say a conjuror or necromancer would be your best bet.  The illusionist class is easy mode with their pet until about 20 as well.  Go with what would give you the most fun.  There is no "hunter" class in this game and I can't even think of one that's close except the ranger...but that's a stretch.

I wish you luck in EQ2 and hope you enjoy it as much as I have.

• DarthHoobDarthHoob Member Posts: 108

It sounds like you could enjoy playing a lot if not all classes. Good starters are Conjurors (to learn pet control), Guardians (arguably the best tanks in the game), Fury's (the most enjoyable healer class, outstanding dps at higher levels). Scouts I'm not so sure about, having only played a brigand and betrayed to swashbuckler.

I've also enjoyed (and picked up easily) Monks/Bruisers, and Beserkers. Most tank classes are quite easy really. Once you worked out your equipment and stances.

The best advice I can give is what was given to me. Try a class for a few levels. Stay in that learner zone for as long as you can. And if by level 10 your not sure, try another class till you find one that suits your style.

As mentioned above, one serious problem in EQ2 right now is the price of spells on the brokers. It's completely out of whack. Since the Echoes of Faydwer expansion 2 new game systems have been introduced. Secondary tradskills and the deities. The secondary tradeskills are Transmuting and Tinkering. Transmuting involves making raw materials from treasure to make equipment adornments. Any looted treasure that is "treasured" or scribeable can now be transmuted. So tradeskillers are frantically buying up spells and equipment that would normally be bought up by people who can scribe and wear it.

Plus people are also buying up any tradeable treasure and offering it to the gods at their inhouse altars in return for deity spells.

So as you can see, things are all in high demand. Sometimes it's cheaper to buy a Master 1 class spell than it is to buy the Adept1 versions, simply because Master1s can't be transmuted.

Until the excitement of the new skills has died down a little, treasure is a little hard to come by. You have to get out there and earn it yourself. Joining a nice friendly guild helps too.

I know it sounds like it's hard, but it's not really. Only us old timers are noticing the difference really.

Currently returned to Norrath after disliking Hyboria.

• FlemFlem Member UncommonPosts: 2,870

Most classes are easy to get the hang of when you start out. Heres a few of the easier ones.

Berserker, Monk, Bruiser, Swashbucker.

Other than that if you want a mage type i would suggest Conjuror or Necromancer or for healers Warden or Fury.

• lomillerlomiller Member Posts: 1,810
    It depends on how you want to play. Healers have the easiest time finding groups.  Conjurors/necromancers are probably the best choice if you want to solo more, but they are basically DPS in a group which means it’s harder to find a group and make friends. I’d probably give both a try, the healer to find groups, meet people and make a circle of regular friends to play with and a conj/necro for when you solo.