Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

open end or linear

musifugermusifuger Member UncommonPosts: 11

hello all
 i am more just curious as how many of you think that making your own story is the way to play all the time... dont get me wrong i love open ended play and i love eve (there are always areas' for improvement), But sometimes i want to play a story.

i have talked about this with several people i know, and i beleive there must be a balance between open and linear in order to maintain interest. Many just shrug the question off and say go play a single player game for a day and then come back and pod some people, but i have started to lose interest in constant pvp, or constant missions, or whatever in eve. What i really hunger for is story, and not the occational repeated storyline mission either.

im just curious if there are others out there that hunger for a story, but need it in a game as wonderful and great as eve is?

Comments

• SnaKeySnaKey Member Posts: 3,386

If you want to play a story, you really shouldn't play MMORPGs as they are not intended for that.

myspace.com/angryblogr
    A Work in Progress.
    Add Me
  • NicoliNicoli Member Posts: 1,312
    Personnally if I want to follow a pre layed out linear story I'd sit down and read a good novel. I love playing EVE because my Character creates his own story. I've been thinking of keeping track of the history of my character Nicoli Voldkif and write a small novel about it. Oneo f my better memories is being in the recruitment channel after I took a 6 month break discussing the combat effectiveness of Red Alliance when I start reminiscing with one of the heads of the old Free Space Alliance. Spent a good 3 hours just swapping war stories from a war that took place about 3 weeks after I joined EVE.

• MondeMonde Member Posts: 133

Open ended. I really dislike linear. I get told what to do at work I really don't want to be told what to do in my private time.......

Hhhmmmm maybe that is why I don'y have a girlfriend ;)

• TaramTaram Member CommonPosts: 1,700
    I dunno.... it'd be kinda nice to have a linear storyline in the game that you had the option of playing.  Kind of like the old Privateer where you could play the storyline or you could just go do your own thing.... you could play a bit of the storyline then go off and do whatever... then come back to the story whenever the urge hit you.

Might be cool to have a nice deep storyline for each race that players could play that way.... would give folks who like that type of thing something to do and those who don't wouldn't have to do it if they didn't want to.

I have a feeling that the stuff the white wolf guys are helping with is probably something like that. 

"A ship-of-war is the best ambassador." - Oliver Cromwell

• musifugermusifuger Member UncommonPosts: 11

exactly what i was talking of, an optional story to play through when u wanted... i do hope that the ww ppls are indeed in on this.

i figured most ppl would say dont play mmo's duh if u want to see a story (shakes head)

Honestly the point of a game imho is not a time killer as most mmo's happen to be  but to be a great experience (these two things to me to be either a rush which pvp fills nicely in eve or a great story)

i read about 2-3 novels a week on average also and i love to read but i love a game with a great story. Eve has a beautiful background, multiple unique cultures and soo much to offer to an incredible story. The short novels are a great example of this, and i read them avidly and subscribe to eon for the extra ones. But i still feel there should be the optional ingame story also.

• LordSlaterLordSlater Member Posts: 2,087

sometimes we do get storys to join in. Its just that right now the department that does that is apparently understaffed lol. But below are some examples of past storylines ive been involved in. ill try and get them in order youngest first.

Theft of Gillent Titan find and destroy it before it finds its way home [it succeded BTW as some alliances helped the ship in return for some rewards].

Oh dear the jovian ambasidor blew up in a transporter beam we want his body parts back. [basically everyone got between 1-2 parts in there cargo hold the one person who donated the most aprts to the jovians win a secret prize].

The crelier incident defend the reserch station [which was rumoured to hold the first parts of the now widespread tech 2 industry, The defence failed so the release of tech 2 was delayed by a couple months].

• LeJohnLeJohn Member Posts: 313

Say, on the criler insident what actually happened?

I still have a base there, it was my main sales base just 1 jump from Kad my main Mfg base.  Anyway the system was a highsec with great ore so I worked out of these for several months until CCP did a patch which created a bug that when you approched any gate and had been to any station they targeted you and shot you.  At first this was not a problem as they were just small concord frigs so as long as you did not shoot back you would survive till you jumped.  Then they added in crusers and BS cops so people started loosing ships for no reasion.  Anyway after loosing a days work I cancled all my accounts out of protest, and some game was coing out but I dont remember what. So I left for 3 months and when I came back Cri is a .4 system with massive podkills and I hear that somebody attacked the base, which was being assembled at the time.

It was actually cool to log on everyday and see new pice of the base or some new ship working on a part of it.

Anyway, so what happend was it and NPC attack that the players were supposed to defeet or did people just wake up one day to the news?

• musifugermusifuger Member UncommonPosts: 11

yes i do admit there have been a few events over the last few years, but playing for 3.5 yrs or so now and only about 4-8 events really depending on what u call events. They have been tangled into the story.

But i guess they are kinda bridging the gap with factional warfare coming in, and hopefully as stated white wolf, and i guess even cosmos as being linear story based. I guess there is some ingame, more than i was thinking when posting, But not really enough to keep you busy for long, maybe my many years of mining for days and pvp (mainly waiting for 10 hrs) battles lasting 5-20 seconds has bored me of the basic (main) features eve offers, sigh i was just curious if there were others out there. and not as many as i would of hoped but oh well image

• EschiavaEschiava Member Posts: 485

Good ideas Mus!  But what I am mainly interested in, and what I miss most about SWG (pre-CU, when the game was playable) is the completely player created story lines that were put together by groups of individual players and sometimes by groups of guilds.

I really enjoyed going into a situation knowing a brief outline, an agreed upon plot that people hoped to accomplish, but then playing it out fully in character and see where things lead.

This (for me) was story telling at its finest! image

• baffbaff Member Posts: 9,457

I like a good story.

I don't especially want to be confined into it. So in an MMO which is a lot less definable than a single player I like story arcs. Lots of mini stories or episodes rather than one long thread running as a core throughout the game.

This isn't one of Eve's strongpoints however. You will have to make your own stories in this game.