Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Preview of new 3D Trees commin next patch

Here it is, a few Screnies and a Movie to Download and gaze at.

Large Version here

Large Version here

Large Version here

And a Video to Download too:

A Beta video of 1.13 version trees in AVI

A Beta video of 1.13 version trees in MOV

As promised these tree sway in the wind, and they are the only added feature of the new Unity II implemented so far (as of these Shots), and since these trees will be added into game next month we can only look forward to seeing everything get up to these standards

Now with the producers own update thread on our forum:

Unity II Update

Many of you may have noticed that in the latest version that we added waving flags to the game. Several people were a bit confused about what this new feature was all about. Today I'd like to take the opportunity to bring you up to speed on what this little technical advancement means for the future of WWIIOL.

Last year we began several development changes to our core graphics engine that culminated with the decision to move to OpenGL for future versions of the game. This decision is at the core of what we refer to as the Unity II engine upgrade. This upgrade path is intended to bring a refit of our proprietary graphics engine up to date with the most bleeding edge graphics in the industry. The first major visible change associated with that development path will be unveiled with our release of v1.13 for the PC and Mac versions of WWIIOL.

Building on the technology of waving flags, we will be bringing a full refit of all the foliage objects in the game to a new standard. We will be replacing all of our trees, bushes and plant objects with highly detailed, fully 3-D rendered foliage that have leaves and branches that sway and look very realistic. This will be the first major implementation of Unity II changes that will continue over the coming months.

That's a pretty big task to be sure and the full implementation will likely evolve over several iterations but what you canexpect to see, even initially will be quite amazing. Brush lines will now have berms to add cover for infantry as well as increased concealment. Tree lines will have voluminous, beautifully rendered 3-D leaves and branches that sway in the wind. We are even working to make all of the vast forests of the game world fully enterable, opening huge areas of the map to tactical gameplay. We plan to complete our implementation by adding new grass and clutter objects, improving both the immerssivness of our game world and the amount of cover for our ground warfare. Our goal is to provide a visually stunning world that is also superior for gameplay.

Unity II does not however stop there. Now in the development pipeline are several new graphics technologies that we will be adding to the world. Bump mapping and improved multi-layer multi-texture are being added. These will give players improved ground textures from the air as well as on the ground. These effects are also used to make moving water and hit effects and combined with environmental effects will give us incredibly realistic playing environments. As Unity II progresses you'll see this effect work continue with sun glare and ground cover effects. Hand in hand with continued improvements to the render pipeline of the game engine, Unity II will offer a better looking and better playing world.

Naturally the biggest question for many of you will be about performance and what affect these improved graphics will have on your performance. While we are committed to improving the look and feel of the game we are also working to make sure that performance for the average machine in WWIIOL improves. We will be making options available through the Unity II integration that allow players on low end systems to sacrifice some graphics enhancements for improved frame rates. In the end though, we will be raising our recommended specification for machines to what we feel is most representative for our community while still keeping a minimum specification at or near its current level.

I'll have more detail on what these actual numbers are next week as we continue testing but you can expect the minimum spec to be somewhere around a 1 gig machine (as it is now) with the recommended spec being in the 2 gig range with a modern graphics card running 128mb of memory. While even this specification won't affect the majority of our players we need to make everyone aware of the changes that are coming. To that end, we've been profiling every video card that we can and reviewing the specifications for as many as we can. I hope to have a more detailed list for you next week and possibly even the ability to recommend some that we find to be good choices in the marketplace. Until then I hope you enjoy the screenshots of the work in progress for v1.13 beta.

Comments

• Dsty2001Dsty2001 Member Posts: 64

I'm coming back to WW2OL :) No doubt about it

Sometimes, it is better to say nothing at all. Cause big mouths results in big words, and big words travel like bacteria.

Sometimes, it is better to say nothing at all. Cause big mouths say big words, and big words travel like bacteria.

• scars87scars87 Member Posts: 234

Can you lvl and select skills and stuff? Or is it like BF1942 in diferant camera angles...

• Nerf09Nerf09 Member CommonPosts: 2,953

CRS has a tendency to model things the playerbase never asked for.

Like Anti Tank AI, and Anti Infantry AI.  Nobody wanted it, nobody asked for it, and when it was implimented everyone hated it.

• DrumgorDrumgor Member Posts: 48
    To answer your question dRedawg, no it has no leveling besides gaining rank which can offer you a wider selection of units to play.

• SzyporynSzyporyn Member Posts: 122

Some hat wrote:

CRS has a tendency to model things the playerbase never asked for.

Like Anti Tank AI, and Anti Infantry AI. Nobody wanted it, nobody asked for it, and when it was implimented everyone hated it.

Why are you even posting nerf9?? and who the xxxx are U?? Obviosly you are a person that the WWIIol Community didnt like, and now Ur trying to get back at em by this totally ignoramus posting.

Please crawl back under your rock again Nerf9 and dont show Ur face in my posts, Im REALLY taking a disliking to you!

Ignoramus?

IGNORAMUS?!!!  image

Let me ask you a question, do you like the AT AI and AI AI?

See, by an overwealming majority of the playerbase represented here has voted 100% that they do not approve of the AI in the game.

Do you realise how much time it would take, for CRS to remove EVERY single piece of AI in game?  It would take WAY to much Development time.  As for CRS modelling stuff the Playerbase doesn't even want, last time I checked, ATRs & RGs was on the top of the list in most polls asking what weapon should be modelled for Infantry next. 

Sometimes, it is better to say nothing at all. Cause big mouths results in big words, and big words travel like bacteria.

Sometimes, it is better to say nothing at all. Cause big mouths say big words, and big words travel like bacteria.

THIS THREAD IS NOT ABOUT THE DAMN AIs

WANNA DISCUSS THEM THEN GO TO PLAYSCHOOL - OHH YEAH THATS RIGHT WERE ARE BANNED FROM THAT FORUM!

• HeDgEHeDgE Member Posts: 15

I can't wait for 1.13, cover (concealment) is going to be improved 10-fold, all in all its going to make it truly feel like a war ( more so than ever)

Originally posted by HeDgE

I can't wait for 1.13, cover (concealment) is going to be improved 10-fold, all in all its going to make it truly feel like a war ( more so than ever)

Amen brother, amen :)

Riflegrenades?  Riflegrenades werent even put on the list.  CRS just modelled them because it was the quickest, easiest thing to model at that point in time.  Regardless of the fact that grenades dont even BOUNCH in the game, or are useful WHATSOEVER!

I've played the game for like 2 years, a month or two after release.  I've killed about 20,000 dudes, and y ou know how many kills i've made that were due to grenades?

ZERO!
    ZILCH!
    NADA!

ZIPPADIE DO DA DAY!  ZIP! 

Hey RAT, you fix the plane damage model and ill edit out everything negative I said and be positive about the game.  TWO MONTHS!  This has been going on for TWO MONTHS now.  fix it, give me a refund, I dont care.

• lolzzalolzza Member Posts: 13

oh boy

battles in the forrest

brit inf  are green  and it will be uber in the forrest

axis=image

in the forrestimage

• MuhlerMuhler Member Posts: 59

Forests are going to be great. With the removal of Iron leaves the 88 will pwn once more. And youd be supriese about how the axis will do in them. We do have the best lmg and rifle bar none. Those will go a long way. Course, we do have to worry about the tommy guns...

And as for rifle grenades, I love em. Once you get the range down you can kick some serious butt.

• LausyLausy Member Posts: 11

<S> on the 1.0 pics to 1.13.

Nerf, according to what I see, most voted no on hating the ai. What exactly are you talking about? How long did you play the game? Apparently not that long. You can't even read your own poll right.

Forum Poll
    image image image
    Do you hate anti-infantry anti-tank AI?

Yes

imageimageimage26.7%
    No

imageimageimage60.0%
    Long drawn out essay about the Crimean War.

imageimageimage13.3%

Based on 15 votes.
  • OminisOminis Member Posts: 1,015
    There probably was a 100% when he posted because only he had the time to vote yet. Those two posts are only 1 minute apart...

"No one can draw a clear line between sane and insane. You move that line as you see fit for yourself. No one else can. You'll understand soon... that the one that's insane is this world." - Vincent

Currently:
    Playing: WOW & GW