Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

this should have been placed in fantasy world

2»

Comments

• darkstar2kdarkstar2k Member Posts: 21
    Originally posted by jsw40

If this game turns into a Pirates of the Caribbean ripoff just because some people can't handle realistic games, I'll cry myself to sleep.

You don't need elves, skeletons, krakens and sirens to make a good game; it's all been done before, many times, and it's all beaten to death. I think a truly historic storyline will give this game not only a more mature playerbase, but a more immersive gameplay experience.
    Krakens and sirens? Hrm dunno which game has those...I could see krakens in PoTC perhaps...but "done to death"?

Krakens are just giant squid, after all...

Sirens go all the way back to Homer's Odyssey, probably before. But yeah, they're mostly mythology...

And why not sightings of The Flying Dutchman? It'd make a good Halloween event, for sure.

Or massive whirlpools.

After all, if it's a historical game shouldn't it have historical sailing folklore as well?

Anything to add something unexpected to the gameplay could only serve to help.

I'm not saying every person should see a ghost ship or be attacked by a kraken (that would be lame). Perhaps you could go your whole "career" without seeing them.

But it'd be truly memorable for those who have seen them, and add a speculation element to the game as well.

Person 1: "I saw a ghost ship last night!"

Person 2: "No you didn't. Must've been something else."

Person 1: "But it really was!"

Person 3: "Stop lying, you liar. Ghost ships don't exist."

Neat.
  • DraenorDraenor Member UncommonPosts: 7,918

The turtle ship was part of a promotion that they were doing in the Asian market, and won't be in the carribean part of the game.

As for your sea monsters and ghost ships, sailors were very superstitious people, don't be surprised if you encounter something unexpected when you sail into darker waters...and yes, I'm going off of a dev comment here.

Your argument is like a two legged dog with an eating disorder...weak and unbalanced.

• dinanm3atldinanm3atl Member Posts: 215
    Originally posted by SUMB44

Am I the only one who thinks that the 'traditional' mmorpg fantasy (dragons, dwarfs, medieval armor, magic, etc.) is a bit overplayed and the market just a bit saturated?  I think it's easier for developers and publishing houses to market fantasy games because there is a large, established industry, clientelle and many pre-existing storylines and 'lore' to build off; some with notable market success (e.g., Dungeons and Dragons, Warhammer). 

Personally I feel that the popularity of this 'traditional' fantasy genre breeds successive generations of increasingly similar mmorpg's; drives innovation from the market and is generally bad for the mmo/mmorpg industry and consumers.

Games like Eve Online and Pirates of the Burning Sea, Voyage Century (PotBS's little brother), Silk Road and the like offer welcome departures from the RPG norm. 

I disagree Ultima Online pwns :)

And it is medieval armor and dragons and such!

But Also PotBS will also be awesome!

Old Skool Ultima Online Junky
    Bring back the OLD UO so I can play again

• kraidenkraiden Staff WriterMember UncommonPosts: 638
    Originally posted by Berndr

This game looks great , sound great ,, and i cant wait to see it ,,, for i cant think of anything like it,,,,
    but sadly its not placed in fantasy world , and because of that they have limited themself ,,, you will not see any sea monsters or dead  skeleton pirats  nither, ghost ships  etc ,, ehhh that would have been fun
    no this is not like eve .. for you dont have avatar in eve i mean not the one you can see walking around your spaceship and taking a stroll on the planets ..or to transport/ beam up into other ship to fight avatar vs avatar ,, if there was something like that  i would be playing it now ..

I would wait before you write the game off.

Remember part of fantasy was based off history and this game was inspiried by "stories" of the time period along with historicaly accurate details along side it, not in total control of it. It cant be 100% historical retelling because if it was, we would all just die to the French. Besides you never know what comes out in content patches and expansions! From what I saw at the comic con and when I spoke to the CEO and lead designer, I have no worry about the direction of the game and how much fun it will be after playing it.

You can read more about it in my upcomming Review/editorials about the game. Im up early writing it for you guys now!

-Hasani-
  • Mors.MagneMors.Magne Member UncommonPosts: 1,549

I'm 34-years old, and have a VERY professional job. I would play MMORPG's, but unfortunately there is a huge stigma to aldults playing such games in the UK.

In fact, I don't even admit to having an interest!   Therefore, any MMORPG that looks as if it could have an adult following is definately a good thing. Anything making them mainstream is welcomed.

To this end, Pirates of the Burning Sea is the closest thing to being acceptable for an adult to play in the UK. However, only time will tell!

• Mors.MagneMors.Magne Member UncommonPosts: 1,549

I totally agree with you in spirit! There are a lot of people who I'd love to say "bugger off" to!

Unfortunately, I've got one of those jobs where a certain image/professionalism is required!

Also, you'd be amazed at how technology-adverse some people can be. I think MMORPGs are quite beyond the imaginings of some people.

• freiheitfreiheit Member Posts: 264
    The MMO world needs more fastasy based MMO's like network TV needs reality shows.
  • Will_A_DaleWill_A_Dale Member Posts: 26
    Originally posted by freiheit

The MMO world needs more fastasy based MMO's like network TV needs reality shows.
    LOL! I think the game is perfect they way it is set up now, it is going to bring a diffrent type of games to MMO's, History buffs and people like that. Besides I think alot  of players are geting tierd of fastasy  games. I mean How diffrent looks can some one come up with for a  dark elf mage????? Most fastasy mmo devlopers say are game is going to be diffrent, and then when you play it is the same things just new packageing. With PotBS it is something diffrent. and that is Great in my book.