Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Free to play ?? ok something is bothering me..

axyrnaxyrn Member Posts: 55

CM writes >>   "All you need to do is to buy the game"

then after the 4th jan 2007 its free.

people i smell something ugly here. they let people play for free if they buy the game ? hmm.

where is the contract that this game keeps running after they sold their boxes ?

i would be careful and dont trust this company. At the end your buying the game for 30$ and they put down the servers 2 month later and this forum will be spammed with angry crybabies :)

I hope the free game includes a trial. If not be careful.

Comments

• lovebuglovebug Member UncommonPosts: 260
    umm last i looked dose guild wars not do the same thing, you buy the game and you play online free and buy xpansions when they come out and theres alot playing guild wars.
  • GameloadingGameloading Member UncommonPosts: 14,182

Ok, honnestly, I have no idea where this sudden distrust comes from, your the second person I hear who says that. There is absolutely NOTHING you base this on and they are completely blind assumptions. A game goes free to play with most likely an item shop, Where in heavens name does that point to the direction the servers will go down? Because you still have to buy the client in a store?

Well, I can explain that for you. Believe it or not, But ArchLord is a more expensive title then games like Silkroad and Flyff. The game spend 4 years in the making and NHN games put a lot of money into it. also, back when the game was in beta in korea, it reached 1 million beta testers. NHN games really won't "Ok, here is our license for ArchLord, go publish it wherever you want, have a great time. No, go ahead, take it, its on the house".

Cm needs to have a form of income somehow, and box sales are one of them.

You ask for a "contract", well that can be said about EVERY mmorpg, monthly fee or not. 

• JelloB2000JelloB2000 Member CommonPosts: 1,848

Originally posted by Gameloading
    (...)
    You ask for a "contract", well that can be said about EVERY mmorpg, monthly fee or not.

Already is a contract of some sort, that big chunk of text when you install any kind of software (or even hardware for that matter).

The context is: they can discontinue service at any time for any reason & you forfeit any kind of claims by installing the software & at the same time you agree to follow these rules. (This applies to all software because noone wants to be responsible for possible damages).

Originally posted by JelloB2000

(...)

Already is a contract of some sort, that big chunk of text when you install any kind of software (or even hardware for that matter).

The context is: they can discontinue service at any time for any reason & you forfeit any kind of claims by installing the software & at the same time you agree to follow these rules. (This applies to all software because noone wants to be responsible for possible damages).

Exactly. that goes for free to play as for pay to play.
  • seePyouseePyou Member Posts: 32
    If you go and read the Free To Play FAQ you quickly realise that this is an experiment by CM. The experiment is on this basis:

Will out income from game cards be enough to support this game?

You see, ArchLord will allow players to buy one of the ingame currencies by using game time cards. In other words, this game will become, the players that pay for ingame currency will be able to have more than one that just plays for free.

This will break what remains of the game, imho...

------------Sig------------
    http://www.seepyou.net/blog

• Ake_GamerAke_Gamer Member Posts: 112

Originally posted by seePyou
    If you go and read the Free To Play FAQ you quickly realise that this is an experiment by CM. The experiment is on this basis:Will out income from game cards be enough to support this game?You see, ArchLord will allow players to buy one of the ingame currencies by using game time cards. In other words, this game will become, the players that pay for ingame currency will be able to have more than one that just plays for free.This will break what remains of the game, imho...

It's not an experiment, it's a return to the way the developers envisioned the distribution of the game. Both Korea and China are F2P with an item shop. The Publisher in the US/EU markets, CM, did a good job listening to their beta testers and meant well with their move to P2P, but it was shortsighted.

In F2P games, everyone gets monthly access to the servers at no cost. The publisher generates income from the sale of items in game for real life currency. This is not a new model and is extremely successful in Asian markets.

It is true that people with more disposable real life currecy will have more opportunity to purchase enhancement items for their character, but they still need to invest time in the game. They can't buy levels, gear, skills etc. What it allows the more casual player to do is keep up with the hard core player who has more disposable time. The person that plays 100 hours a week and buys the minimal # credits will outlevel the person who plays 30 hours a week and spends more real life currency on credits. Where balance comes into play is when you compare someone who plays 30 hours a week and can buy credits with someone who can play 40 hours a week and doesn't buy credits. There will be less of a difference in levels, given they have identical play styles.

Dec 20,1999: AC1(DT).Since then:DAoC,SB,AC2,L2,EvE,WoW,SoR
    ====================
    Currently playing: ArchLord - L58 Knight
    LoTRo - L13 Dwarf Guardian

• ste2000ste2000 Member EpicPosts: 6,194
    Seriously, are u doubting about Codemasters?

Codemasters is the Second game publisher in Europe after Ubisoft, they are not any dodgy company.
    They are not running away with your money, they have their reputation to safekeep and British jails are not very confortable.

Do espect to pay to get uber items in game though (that's the hidden deal) ;)

Originally posted by ste2000

Codemasters is the Second game publisher in Europe after Ubisoft, they are not any dodgy company.
    They are not running away with your money, they have their reputation to safekeep and British jails are not very confortable.

You will only be able to purchase enhancement in the game, like buffs, potions, thats all. Nothing Uber.

• VanguardeVanguarde Member Posts: 198

Codemaster suck, they dont know how to publish a good mmorpg. I mean just look at their track record.

Even Ncsoft is beating them by miles.

Originally posted by Vanguarde

Codemaster suck, they dont know how to publish a good mmorpg. I mean just look at their track record.

Even Ncsoft is beating them by miles.

Thats weird, because all of their MMORPG launches were pretty smooth without any problems,they never have any long downtime or un-expected crashes. save for some bugs which the company that developed the games is responsible for. their track record is actually almost perfect.

• Kasp3rKasp3r Member Posts: 67

archlord was realesed to early.

im playin it now and still, there are bugs that have been there since beta

• XTinTioNXTinTioN Member Posts: 205

lol....to play a no monthly fee but has a retail price for the key or something....

ill suggest you guys to buy GuildWars....that game rocks.....i've been playing it for like 1 whole year ^^ pretty cool.

but thats my opinion...i would play this game if it would be FREE for real.....but...spending 30€ on this game =S ...no thanks :)

Cheers

Currently Playing: GTA4, Urban Terror, Aion,Dreamfall:TLJ,Fahrenheit

• Azure77Azure77 Member Posts: 355

Codemasters current CEO and president are awash in fraud charges by people who buy thier non MMORPG products.  Since the 80s Codemasters has lied , and even written thier own reviews of thier games. There are a few RF Online reviews in Europe that were writen by the current CEO under an assumed name.

Codemasters doesnt listen to people , beta testers or what not.  RF Online is like 80% drop in users since its launch , 99% of the areas are deserted. Archlord was a decent game, but is majorlly flawed in scope and design. You need to be 60+ to see the real purpose of that game.

Playing on a free account of Archlord , the peak of 30 is still impossible without heavy credit usage (and there is 100 levels). The pvp and guild wars element from what I ve seen over 2 weeks still doesnt have purpose (well you can collect skulls but the drop rate is the same as the Big Nerf in beta.)

Moonelves , and archers are hugely overpowered , some characters still remain broken , the AH didnt work at the time I was playing (it has errors and bugs still). Most of the text of the game was still in early beta state.

I think Codemasters smartest move was to jump ship on Dragon Empire , and they shouldnt touch another MMORPG again.

• KrymsonSykkeKrymsonSykke Member Posts: 45
    Just because a game goes f2p doesn't mean crap...Guild Wars has always been f2p and has been a good game...As well Arch Lords is a pretty good game as well...
  • HashbrickHashbrick Member RarePosts: 1,851

Originally posted by KrymsonSykke
    Just because a game goes f2p doesn't mean crap...Guild Wars has always been f2p and has been a good game...As well Arch Lords is a pretty good game as well...image

Have you played this??? The reason it is f2p is because they couldn't get anyone to buy it as it was!

[[ DEAD ]] - Funny - I deleted my account on the site using the cancel account button.  Forum user is separate and still exists with no way of deleting it. Delete it admins. Do it, this ends now.
    So you are saying that about Guild Wars as well since it has been f2p ever since it came out...Now that is a good mmo, as well as Arch Lord is a good game not the best but a good mmo...

Originally posted by KrymsonSykke
    So you are saying that about Guild Wars as well since it has been f2p ever since it came out...Now that is a good mmo, as well as Arch Lord is a good game not the best but a good mmo...

No I'm saying Archlord is completely shit, this is why it turned f2p. I'm on topic to what the discussion is about, where are you?

[[ DEAD ]] - Funny - I deleted my account on the site using the cancel account button.  Forum user is separate and still exists with no way of deleting it. Delete it admins. Do it, this ends now.

Originally posted by Vanguarde
    Seriously, are u doubting about Codemasters?Codemasters is the Second game publisher in Europe after Ubisoft, they are not any dodgy company.
    They are not running away with your money, they have their reputation to safekeep and British jails are not very confortable.Do espect to pay to get uber items in game though (that's the hidden deal) ;)
    Codemaster suck, they dont know how to publish a good mmorpg. I mean just look at their track record. Even Ncsoft is beating them by miles.

Thats weird, because all of their MMORPG launches were pretty smooth without any problems,they never have any long downtime or un-expected crashes. save for some bugs which the company that developed the games is responsible for. their track record is actually almost perfect.

You may be forgetting about the first three days during launch in Archlord when creating a new character you would have to re-log to get the animation or else you'd float around.

Ya real smooth.

Guild Wars is  free because its not a MMORPG , its same thing as Diablo in terms of server design and stuff. Most times everything is run off your pc , with a tiny amount of bandwith used to update your character to thier server. The centeral hub design (the towns in GW) have been used since MuDs  days , alot of games attempt did the same thing as GW / Diablo.

The thing that made Guild Wars work , is the fact that the PVP is so easy , in the first year of GW , even the creators said that certain balance issue.

Diablo is not the same as GW...I do understand your point but you bone heads are not understanding mind...There are people on here telling others not to buy it sucks ok that is there opinion...But let others try for them selves...I for one like the game and I do agree it is not the best, but I still like it....
  • XTinTioNXTinTioN Member Posts: 205

LOL...Guild wars is not a MMORPG? XD

lol..that was funny =P

but ye i understand your point of view...but....guild wars is the best game i've played...and i played almost all of them ...

hmmm ye guild wars is a bit different because its a little more RPG than MMO...because...you can do it all alone and stuf....but if you just get a Clan(Guild) for people only of your country with lots of people...and another good clans as alliance you will see that the game starts to be sooo awweesome...im just too addicted to it......oh ye....hmm...

I think that archlord is not gonna win much more with this free thing....If they at least could hear me...

they would win a lot more by putting the game completly free but with Cash Shops...that sell premium items and stuff you see?...like in FLYFF....so...many people could play free..and then if just in case had some money that person would think about spending it on a special item..and many other people would do it.......so they would probably win a lot more...

oh well....but who am i?

Cheers

Currently Playing: GTA4, Urban Terror, Aion,Dreamfall:TLJ,Fahrenheit

• SzczepSzczep Member Posts: 6
    How I can play this game for free ?? I search though internet but I doesnt find anything about that :(

Originally posted by Azure77
    Guild Wars is free because its not a MMORPG , its same thing as Diablo in terms of server design and stuff. Most times everything is run off your pc , with a tiny amount of bandwith used to update your character to thier server. The centeral hub design (the towns in GW) have been used since MuDs days , alot of games attempt did the same thing as GW / Diablo.
    The thing that made Guild Wars work , is the fact that the PVP is so easy , in the first year of GW , even the creators said that certain balance issue.

Ya and a potato isn't a vegitable, it's a meat. Wtf are you talking about? Oh ya and koreans arn't koreans they are asian >.>. Someone get this guy/gal some meds.

GW isnt a MMORPG because it doesnt use a central server cluster. It uses instances that basically on your pc , in MMORPG you have a core set of servers to run and watch the game monster spawns. In GW you goto an instance dungeon with (I dont remember 6 people or whatever.)

Phantasy Star Universe is the same design and not a MMORPG. The PVP zones in GW are also instanced , when I played you couldnt talk to anyone in any area, expect for town. There was no centralized server for chat , LFG or anything else. Its Diablo basically.

• vacoyvacoy Member Posts: 7
    I also play guildwars and some people say it is an mmorpg and other say it isn't.

You can say what you think it is but still, an rpg is making a char, level it up get skills etc, an mmorpg is the same but only online. in that way guildwars is an mmorpg.

But as you yust said in a rpg monster spawn that isn't the case in GW. You make a party and enter a huntarea. You get a copie of the guildwars map for youreself. Monsters do not spawn there. In that way GW isn't a mmorpg.

So you can call GW a mmorpg or not you are allways right

Greets Vacoy

P.S. But here is a poll.